DBT Tracks-Week 4- Boys From Alabama/Cottonseed/Buford Stick

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Beaverdam

Re: DBT Tracks-Week 4- Boys From Alabama/Cottonseed/Buford S

Post by Beaverdam »

I meant "Criminal Minds," but said "CSI"!

I just kept thinking how cool it would be to hear Tony say, "I put more lawmen in the ground than Alabama put cottonseed!"

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

The official AMC spotify playlist for Breaking Bad (specifically Walter White's) had "You & Your Crystal Meth". I always thought "Santa Fe" should've been on that show, or if it wasn't too obvious Neil's "Albuquerque".
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I love these songs but The Buford Stick has always sort of made me a little bit uncomfortable. I'm not from North Alabama or Southern Tennessee and have no relatives in the area. I have no connection with the Pusser family. I understand its just a song and I understand that Patterson is just telling one character's perspective.

But I feel a little bad about liking the song when I listen to it. Irrespective of what Buford Pusser was or wasn't, the fact that he was murdered and that his wife was as well is very real not funny at all. And if I was a member of his family and was aware of this song it would make me mad.

I remember Patterson saying that members of the Pusser family had told him as much about feeling that way and that h felt bad about it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Cole Younger wrote:I love these songs but The Buford Stick has always sort of made me a little bit uncomfortable. I'm not from North Alabama or Southern Tennessee and have no relatives in the area. I have no connection with the Pusser family. I understand its just a song and I understand that Patterson is just telling one character's perspective.

But I feel a little bad about liking the song when I listen to it. Irrespective of what Buford Pusser was or wasn't, the fact that he was murdered and that his wife was as well is very real not funny at all. And if I was a member of his family and was aware of this song it would make me mad.

I remember Patterson saying that members of the Pusser family had told him as much about feeling that way and that h felt bad about it.

Buford wasn't murdered. His wife was, but he wasn't. He died in a car accident. Some people believe it was more than an accident, but I don't.
I am from Adamsville, Tennessee which is also Buford's hometown. I grew up around all this Buford stuff. My grandfather graduated high school with Buford and my dad graduated with his daughter. I worked at her restaurant for 3 or 4 years when I was in high school. Her husband also hired me to mow their lawn and help him around their place. So there you go....my little connection to the Pussers.

And I am not sure, but I have wondered if "Cottonseed" might be about a guy named Dewitt Dawson. He was probably the most notorious guy out of the "Boys From Alabama" group. I read a book about him a long time ago and at that point he head gotten his life on track. He was from Moulton, Alabama I believe. Moulton is about 30 miles southeast of Tuscumbia/Shoals area.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

"Cottonseed" is about someone Cooley saw speak at some church.

jr29

Post by jr29 »

Smitty wrote:"Cottonseed" is about someone Cooley saw speak at some church.

And I have wondered if that person was Dewitt Dawson. I heard the interview where Cooley kind of described the guy and Dawson was the one who popped into my head. He was one of the more prominent guys from that loose group of outlaws around northern Mississippi, northern Alabama and west Tennessee. At some point he turned his life around, which led me to speculate that he could have been the speaker at the church.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

jr29 wrote:

And I have wondered if that person was Dewitt Dawson. I heard the interview where Cooley kind of described the guy and Dawson was the one who popped into my head. He was one of the more prominent guys from that loose group of outlaws around northern Mississippi, northern Alabama and west Tennessee. At some point he turned his life around, which led me to speculate that he could have been the speaker at the church.

Gotcha.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

jr29 wrote:

That name rings a bell. Seems like somewhere in the Cottonseed backstory I heard that name.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I noticed the high school in my town is playing McNairy County in football. After noticing the sign, I immediately started singing "watch out for Beuford!"

Clams

Post by Clams »

I swear on a stack of Bibles that I didn’t do some of the things they said I did

https://snakeandtree.com/2018/01/06/no- ... n-alabama/

Smitty posted this link in a recent FB discussion on the Great Car Dealer War. Some crazy stuff went down in Colbert County.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Clams wrote:
I swear on a stack of Bibles that I didn’t do some of the things they said I did

https://snakeandtree.com/2018/01/06/no- ... n-alabama/

Smitty posted this link in a recent FB discussion on the Great Car Dealer War. Some crazy stuff went down in Colbert County.
At one time those folks, the State Line Mafia or whatever a person might prefer to call them, operated out of Lee County Alabama which not far from where I live and grew up. I know just a very little bit of the story about how they were run out of there, convinced to relocate, whatever happened. But several people who are twenty or so years older than me who used to spend a lot of time in Columbus Goergia, which is directly across the Chattahoochee River from there, have told me that those folks never really left that area altogether and that you didn't mess around when you went over there or you wouldn't make it out.

Frank

Post by Frank »

I was listening to Cottonseed today and had the realization that should have been obvious long ago that it seems to only feature Cooley and none of the rest of the band. Is that true? I can't tell if there is another guitar in there or not. And then I was wondering that if that is indeed true, is that the only song in their album catalogue that does only feature one person? I can't think of any others off-hand. The closest I could come up with is Love Like This, but even that has bass, drums and backing vocals.

Is there any particular reason for this? Obviously Cooley plays a lot of his songs successfully without any other input in his solo shows and so they could be stand-alone, but they are always expanded on the albums.

Anyway, random musings for a Tuesday,

Frank

Clams

Post by Clams »

Frank wrote:I was listening to Cottonseed today and had the realization that should have been obvious long ago that it seems to only feature Cooley and none of the rest of the band. Is that true? I can't tell if there is another guitar in there or not. And then I was wondering that if that is indeed true, is that the only song in their album catalogue that does only feature one person? I can't think of any others off-hand. The closest I could come up with is Love Like This, but even that has bass, drums and backing vocals.

Is there any particular reason for this? Obviously Cooley plays a lot of his songs successfully without any other input in his solo shows and so they could be stand-alone, but they are always expanded on the albums.

Anyway, random musings for a Tuesday,

Frank
Good question. Not sure but maybe:
Eyes like glue
Great big pony and little horse
Loaded gun in the closet
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Frank

Post by Frank »

Eyes Like Glue has (soft) backing piano or organ. Loaded Gun in the Closet had me worried for a second and I was thinking I might have to claim the creaking door was a backing part, but it has what I assume is pedal steel in it as well.

BUT, yes Great Big Pony and Little Horse is another song with just Cooley. The liner notes only have him credited with guitar and vocals. They also say it was recorded for The Dirty South.

Good catch.

Frank

Beaverdam

Re: DBT Tracks-Week 4- Boys From Alabama/Cottonseed/Buford Stick

Post by Beaverdam »

Yesterday I saw a school bus from McNairy County!