Patterson Hood at Pine Hill Farm, 12.13.02

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Kudzu Guillotine

Patterson Hood at Pine Hill Farm, 12.13.02

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

A great deal of this stuff has been online for quite some time on a site called Jeff's Vault but the person that originally filmed it, Jeff Keith, has only recently begun posting all of the content from his Vault on YouTube. The latest round includes all of the performances from the first night of the Farewell Concerts at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, NC back on December 13th of 2002. To read more about these concerts, as well as the history of Pine Hill Farm itself, please check out this article from Rick Cornell which was published in Durham's Independent Weekly back in December of 2002. I made it to both of the Truckers' house concerts there in 2001 and 2002, respectively but I only made it to night two of the Farewell Concerts. That 2001 concert was filmed but has yet to surface. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one day it will finally see the light of day. As many know, those two shows would later serve as the inspiration behind the Truckers' Dirt Underneath tour in 2007. Which, ironically enough, never made it's way to North Carolina. The closest they played here on that tour was at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach (with Patty Hurst Shifter opening) but it wasn't a Dirt Underneath show. Not that I'm complaining as I feel very fortunate to have been at both of the original house concerts.

*To watch the complete performances from night one of the Farewell Concerts (which include Patterson, Bobby Bare, Jr. and Tim Easton) as well as lots of other gems from Jeff's Vault, click here.

heartbreaker1976

Re: Patterson Hood at Pine Hill Farm, 12.13.02

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

nice! Thanks for sharing.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:A great deal of this stuff has been online for quite some time on a site called Jeff's Vault but the person that originally filmed it, Jeff Keith, has only recently begun posting all of the content from his Vault on YouTube. The latest round includes all of the performances from the first night of the Farewell Concerts at Pine Hill Farm in Durham, NC back on December 13th of 2002. To read more about these concerts, as well as the history of Pine Hill Farm itself, please check out this article from Rick Cornell which was published in Durham's Independent Weekly back in December of 2002. I made it to both of the Truckers' house concerts there in 2001 and 2002, respectively but I only made it to night two of the Farewell Concerts. That 2001 concert was filmed but has yet to surface. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that one day it will finally see the light of day. As many know, those two shows would later serve as the inspiration behind the Truckers' Dirt Underneath tour in 2007. Which, ironically enough, never made it's way to North Carolina. The closest they played here on that tour was at the House of Blues in Myrtle Beach (with Patty Hurst Shifter opening) but it wasn't a Dirt Underneath show. Not that I'm complaining as I feel very fortunate to have been at both of the original house concerts.

*To watch the complete performances from night one of the Farewell Concerts (which include Patterson, Bobby Bare, Jr. and Tim Easton) as well as lots of other gems from Jeff's Vault, click here.

Didn't the TDU tour come to Asheville? I am almost positive I caught a TDU show at the Peel.

Good stuff, thanks for posting. I too hope that video of the 2001 show surfaces.

Kudzu Guillotine

Jeremy wrote:Didn't the TDU tour come to Asheville? I am almost positive I caught a TDU show at the Peel.

Thanks, it may have. I guess I should have been more specific and said the Triangle area which is where Durham is. If you watch the other footage from the night you'll see Kurt Hickey introduce Tim Easton (the first performer on the bill) and talk about the future of house concerts in the area. Not long afterwards Tim Kimrey passed away which ended his Stovepipe Lounge concerts (lots of those have been posted thanks to Jeff Keith as well) for obvious reasons. There are still house concerts in the area but nothing like what was going on at Pine Hill Farm. As Steve Gardner (one of the original organizers) said years later, they had somehow managed to capture "lightning in a bottle". I only caught a handful of shows there and at Tim's place over the years but I feel very fortunate to have done so.

Kudzu Guillotine

Pine Hill Farm Farewelll Concerts 12.14.02

Jeff Keith has been kind enough to upload night two of the Pine Hill Farm Farewell Concerts to YouTube. These include performances by Tift Merritt, Chip Robinson (Backsliders), Kenny Roby (Six String Drag), Thad Cockrell, Peter Blackstock (No Depression magazine), Chris Smith (Patty Hurst Shifter/Maldora) and Tim Easton.