I really don't know anything about Matt Patton.

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

DiamondDave

I really don't know anything about Matt Patton.

Post by DiamondDave »

But I will say this......That boy is the happiest motherfucker I've ever seen. He was smiling through out the entire show.
One hell of a great trait.

I'm all about him now.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: I really don't know anything about Mike Patton.

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Matt Patton, and yes he's one hell of a player and and even better guy. Check out his work with the Dexateens.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cubfan06

Re: I really don't know anything about Matt Patton.

Post by Cubfan06 »

Fuck yeah to Matt Patton appreciation.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I always say Mike, too.......holdover from teenage Faith No More/Mr. Bungle fandom
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Both he and his wife were as nice as they could possibly be to us in Athens. Also, I love what he does on used to be a cop.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Both he and his wife were as nice as they could possibly be to us in Athens. Also, I love what he does on used to be a cop.

his wife? are 13 year olds allowed to marry in Alabama?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

:lol:
Dudes not old by any means, but he's older than you think.
Also a huge Seger fan, so big props in my book.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

My best friend Eric, who turned me on to DBT and whose main instrument is bass, used to be the sound guy at The Chukker (RIP) in Tuscaloosa, where Model Citizen (which Matt was in before The Dexateens) was, for a while, effectively the house band. When I told him Matt was playing with DBT, he said something along the lines of "Little Matt Patton in DBT? That's really great!" And ever since, whenever we've talked about it, he's said "little Matt Patton" at least once in the conversation. I'm not sure what that means, other than that my best friend Eric is getting Old Like Me, just ten years behind.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

He is a real sweetie...My youngest asked him loads of questions and he answered everyone openly and honestly..He started out playing guitar until they were short in the church band and they told him he was playing bass..He hasn't put it down since..Apparently He still plays guitar in another band locally :) Think he will be around for a long time to come..They are very much at home with our HeAthen family :)
It's Great To Be Alive........

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I believe his day job is with the Mississippi Department of Environmental Protection. Something to do with monitoring the rivers and waterways.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Well, I don't know a whole lot about him either, but I do know that he and Brad lock in VERY well. At least they did at the COMO show on Tuesday.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

DiamondDave wrote:But I will say this......That boy is the happiest motherfucker I've ever seen. He was smiling through out the entire show.

I'm all about him now.

Ha, that goofy smile of his is infectious. When you see how much fun he's having up there you can't help but smile.

John A Arkansawyer

mgsooner wrote:
DiamondDave wrote:But I will say this......That boy is the happiest motherfucker I've ever seen. He was smiling through out the entire show.

I'm all about him now.

Ha, that goofy smile of his is infectious. When you see how much fun he's having up there you can't help but smile.

The Houndmouth bassist seems to be taking after him, kind of. He wasn't doing the big grin--the only two musicians I've ever seen do that without looking creepy are Billy Zoom and Matt--but he was way active on stage. He wore downin the middle, but came back strong and the end. And damn! he stomps the stage loud. Must be a John Lee Hooker fan.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Zip City wrote:
UncleFrank23 wrote:Both he and his wife were as nice as they could possibly be to us in Athens. Also, I love what he does on used to be a cop.

his wife? are 13 year olds allowed to marry in Alabama?

Something in the water makes us look a lot younger than we should.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Smitty wrote:Something in the water makes us look a lot younger than we should.

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I have talked w/ Matt after 3 shows & he is a real prince. I asked him how old he was & when he told me, I was off by a dozen years. Last time we spoke (at the NYE shows), I got Bill to try to take a pic of me tryin' to match Matt's smile. He couldn't make my shitty camera phone work correctly; but Matt posed patiently through 3-4 attempts. Here's the best I could muster:

A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

theco.Ikeep

Post by theco.Ikeep »

He's an awesome dude.
Great energy bout him.

Here's a cool article on his wife & her college friends.
I want to visit it sometime when I'm down that way, maybe a road trip to Nawlins is in my future!

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/03/08/garden/how-four-women-revived-a-derelict-mississippi-town.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

Clams

Post by Clams »

Slipkid42 wrote:

Matt Patton with Grampa Al???
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I met him for the first time when The Truckers played with Lucinda last spring. He talked the guy at the bus yard in Mississippi into letting him on Elvis' tour bus and took a bunch of pics. He showed them to Rev. Todd and I.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

His band Model Citizen used to play the rock club I frequented as a teenager.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

Patton was old enough to play the Chukker? At age 12? Elliot must have been, what, 16? RIP, Chukker. Great place. Didn't it close around 1997-8?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:My best friend Eric, who turned me on to DBT and whose main instrument is bass, used to be the sound guy at The Chukker (RIP) in Tuscaloosa, where Model Citizen (which Matt was in before The Dexateens) was, for a while, effectively the house band. When I told him Matt was playing with DBT, he said something along the lines of "Little Matt Patton in DBT? That's really great!" And ever since, whenever we've talked about it, he's said "little Matt Patton" at least once in the conversation. I'm not sure what that means, other than that my best friend Eric is getting Old Like Me, just ten years behind.

John A Arkansawyer

blackwll wrote:Patton was old enough to play the Chukker? At age 12? Elliot must have been, what, 16? RIP, Chukker. Great place. Didn't it close around 1997-8?

John A Arkansawyer wrote:My best friend Eric, who turned me on to DBT and whose main instrument is bass, used to be the sound guy at The Chukker (RIP) in Tuscaloosa, where Model Citizen (which Matt was in before The Dexateens) was, for a while, effectively the house band. When I told him Matt was playing with DBT, he said something along the lines of "Little Matt Patton in DBT? That's really great!" And ever since, whenever we've talked about it, he's said "little Matt Patton" at least once in the conversation. I'm not sure what that means, other than that my best friend Eric is getting Old Like Me, just ten years behind.

The final closure was in the mid 2000's, no later than 2004 (I know because I wrote about it and late 2004 is when that blog ended). It had closed once before about then. Someone has kept the domain name alive with a story about the last re-opening (that I know of)...And some googling sets the closure date as November 1, 2003. But there is this good news: Sistine Chukker Reappears. I wish that'd happened at The Icehouse in Fayetteville. The photographer who moved in didn't even photograph the mural before painting it over, and had the sense and grace to later publicly regret it.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

I saw the DBTs at the Chukker in 2002. August, I think. So they were at least open until then.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Dexateens/DBT tour or just one show would be the ultimate for me.... I mean number 1 on my list.

Patton rocks!

And my dog snores.....as I type.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Sian-of-the-dead

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

The dude's a fucking legend. I like the Dexateens but I love him in Truckers more... I think he really adds something. And it's true, he and his wife are so damn nice! :mrgreen:
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

woollyB

Post by woollyB »

Hud wrote:Dexateens/DBT tour or just one show would be the ultimate for me.... I mean number 1 on my list.

Patton rocks!

And my dog snores.....as I type.
Hud going to be in Tennessee this weekend?

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
mgsooner wrote:

I'm all about him now.
The Houndmouth bassist seems to be taking after him, kind of. He wasn't doing the big grin--the only two musicians I've ever seen do that without looking creepy are Billy Zoom and Matt--but he was way active on stage. He wore downin the middle, but came back strong and the end. And damn! he stomps the stage loud. Must be a John Lee Hooker fan.

Billy Zoom doesn't look creepy to you? :o :lol:

Eyes Above It

Post by Eyes Above It »

Either Matt Patton is the happiest dude alive, or I want whatever drugs he's on. Always has a big fuckin smile on his face. Love it.

Drop D

Post by Drop D »

I've only just seen this thread....and I still know nothing about Matt. 'cept he's a fantastic bass player and I dig his groove!

John A Arkansawyer

Drop D wrote:I've only just seen this thread....and I still know nothing about Matt. 'cept he's a fantastic bass player and I dig his groove!
I learned something new about him this month: He looks different playing in the Dexateens from how he looks playing with DBT.