Northeast Tour March 2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

RevMatt

Re: Northeast Tour March 2013

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:From the reaction I'm seeing online, some Old 97's fans seem to be upset at the thought that they may be opening for the Truckers, despite the co-headliner aspect. I have no idea who goes on first but I'm firmly in the camp that would be tickled shitless just to see them on the same bill.

As for those new to the Old 97's, these would be some of my recommended primers, starting with Too Far To Care.

Thanks for the primer. I don't know why I never really checked these guys out. I've known about them for some time. Well, now I have a reason to. Better late than never.

I am looking forward to this. In the past year I've seen more than my share of two and a half hour rock shows. I don't mind getting into a new band (meaning new for me) and catching a live show two or three nights in a row.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

emandrisdad

Post by emandrisdad »

Too Far To Care is one of my top 10 favorite albums. I'm a Hold Steady fan, but I'm looking forward to this co-headlining show more than I was
the DBT/Hold Steady shows a few years back.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Funny, I'm on the other side. I like the old 97's well enough w/out being a true fan but a co-headlining gig w/ the DBTs takes a lot of the incentive out of making the required extra effort to make those NY/NJ shows (assuming that co-headlining means a shorter DBT show and perhaps DBT opening one of the nites). Of course that's only true because of the other new england shows i'll be able to catch, so all in all, a good problem to have.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

If people in the NYC area want a typical DBT rock show then the Toad's Place show in New Haven is the one to get tickets for. No co-headliners that night and New Haven is easy enough to get to from NJ or NY.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RevMatt wrote:If people in the NYC area want a typical DBT rock show then the Toad's Place show in New Haven is the one to get tickets for. No co-headliners that night and New Haven is easy enough to get to from NJ or NY.

Assuming there's no late nite dance concert creating an artificial curfew. Yes, I have a long memory.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Capitol Theater & Wellmont sites give the impression that they are co-headliners, while Rams Head in Baltimore gives the distinct impression that the Old 97s are openers. Got mixed feelings on this as I saw a co-headlining show last year @ Merriweather w/the Allman Bros & Santana. I love both bands but to say I love the Allman Bros. a LOT more than Santana would be an understatement. Sure enough ABB opened & played a relatively short set & I wasn't too happy about that. The triple header weekend still seems like a fun trip, so I might pull the trigger anyway. Definitely will do Baltimore & Charlottesville on a Sat. night seems like a no-brainer too.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Flea

Post by Flea »

Slipkid42 wrote:Capitol Theater & Wellmont sites give the impression that they are co-headliners, while Rams Head in Baltimore gives the distinct impression that the Old 97s are openers. Got mixed feelings on this as I saw a co-headlining show last year @ Merriweather w/the Allman Bros & Santana. I love both bands but to say I love the Allman Bros. a LOT more than Santana would be an understatement. Sure enough ABB opened & played a relatively short set & I wasn't too happy about that. The triple header weekend still seems like a fun trip, so I might pull the trigger anyway. Definitely will do Baltimore & Charlottesville on a Sat. night seems like a no-brainer too.

C'ville is on a Wednesday night. Unless i royally fucked-up my hotel reservation.
Now it's dark.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Damn, it's more like I have no brain. C-ville looks iffy now.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

angryandy wrote:I nearly cried when I saw they were playing the Wellmont on the same night that I already have tickets for the Allmans at the Beacon. Fortunately I now have a reason for my first visit to the legendary Capitol Theatre. Tickets ordered today!

That's where I'm at too. Already have the Allman tickets for Friday 3/15 and Saturday 3/16 nights. Oh well.

General board question - Isn't Rams Head in Baltimore the venue with tables that are very close to the stage? Or is that Annapolis?
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

gepman

Post by gepman »

Rocky wrote:
angryandy wrote:I nearly cried when I saw they were playing the Wellmont on the same night that I already have tickets for the Allmans at the Beacon. Fortunately I now have a reason for my first visit to the legendary Capitol Theatre. Tickets ordered today!

That's where I'm at too. Already have the Allman tickets for Friday 3/15 and Saturday 3/16 nights. Oh well.

General board question - Isn't Rams Head in Baltimore the venue with tables that are very close to the stage? Or is that Annapolis?

Ram's Head Tavern = Annapolis = Tables
Ram's Head Live = Baltimore = Standing Room Club (ala 930)...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I thought "co-headliner" meant both bands play for roughly the same amount of time. I know when I saw the McMurtry/Isbell doubleheader at the Lincoln in Raleigh last year, that was the case.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I thought "co-headliner" meant both bands play for roughly the same amount of time. I know when I saw the McMurtry/Isbell doubleheader at the Lincoln in Raleigh last year, that was the case.

I believe you are right. And when two bands tour as co-headliners they usually alternate spots.

Kudzu Guillotine

The Whigs have just been announced as the opener for the Haw River Ballroom show.

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Thanks for the info Kudzu G - I'm heading down for that show for sure! wow...a night of rock n roll in store

gepman

Post by gepman »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I thought "co-headliner" meant both bands play for roughly the same amount of time. I know when I saw the McMurtry/Isbell doubleheader at the Lincoln in Raleigh last year, that was the case.

The DBT / Lucinda Williams show in May at Merriweather was a co-headline bill.

Both played for about 1 hr and 10 minutes. Note -> Justin Jones did open the show (about 30 minute set)...

I can only imagine the OLD 97's and DBT's playing a touch longer in a club setting (at least I hope).

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

I know some people might be a little reserved about the Old 97's, maybe due them having a bit poppier sound, but I have been to two of their shows within the last year, and they bring it (Rhett was soaked with sweat at the end of both shows). I think that they will match up with the truckers very well. Just like the truckers, their music is a whole 'nother beast when experienced live. I am quite jealous that this isn't happening closer to the midwest.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

Whispering Pines

Post by Whispering Pines »

Bummed that the Truckers aren't playing in NYC-- guess they're waiting for a new album. Still dreaming of a residency at the Brooklyn Bowl. Funny...haven't been to the Capitol Theater in Port Chester since I saw Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour. Talk about old school!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Whispering Pines wrote: Funny...haven't been to the Capitol Theater in Port Chester since I saw Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour. Talk about old school!

:shock:
:D

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Well it looks like I'm in for the following gigs:
Saxapahaw, NC
New Haven, CT
Port Chester, NY

The Allman Brothers Band at the Beacon and St. Patty's Day in Manhattan are holding me back from doing a few other shows. Will be great to go back to Toad's Place and also see the band in venues I have not been in before. Bring on March!

karmadog

Post by karmadog »

anyone know if the Wellmont is reserved seating or general admission?

karmadog

Post by karmadog »

nevermind.....just picked up GA tics

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

beantownbubba wrote:
Whispering Pines wrote: Funny...haven't been to the Capitol Theater in Port Chester since I saw Joe Cocker's Mad Dogs and Englishmen tour. Talk about old school!

:shock:
:D

:lol:
Always go to the show

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Awright, just got tix for Burlington and Northampton. WOO HOO.

Kudzu Guillotine

njMark

Post by njMark »

Is it March 16th yet? I know homecoming was just a few days ago but I'm ready for another show.

WSPDBT

Post by WSPDBT »

I hate the Paradise Rock Club with everything in me. I'll be there for the show though. I am also trying to make it to the Providence show since it isn't that far away. Are they going to get another pedal steel player?
The Dude Abides

Kudzu Guillotine

WSPDBT wrote:Are they going to get another pedal steel player?

Patterson's "Word from the Hood" on the topic of Neff's departure:

Y'ALL:

As I guess most of you have heard or read by now, John Neff has left
Drive-By Truckers. Effective immediately.
I was actually first informed by my sister who was up earlier than me
and read it on Facebook.

In all fairness, he did send me an email saying he was quitting his
"job" and wouldn't be going with us to DC this weekend a few minutes
before he posted it, but I was attempting to sleep in.

Kind of a sad way to end a sixteen year relationship, but we've all
known that things have been strained on that front for over a year now.

He made no mention of future plans, a player as fine as Neff will have
no trouble ever finding work.

He would be an asset to whatever situation he applied himself to.
We certainly appreciate the incredible work he's done with us and as I
said, we wish him nothing but the absolute best.

DBT will continue onward, as we always do.
There are no plans to try to replace John.

I've never considered anyone ever to be replaceable in this band.
We have constantly changed and morphed and this will be no exception.
We always say, play every show like it's your last, it could be.
But not right now.

DBT is making definite plans towards starting a new album in the
spring and I'm always excited about recording new songs and seeing
where that leads the band.

This band has been a big part of my life for nearly 20 years. It's
never been a job to me and I'd rather quit and move on than have it
ever be that. We're a big, sometimes dysfunctional family, but we've always drawn
strength from each other and the big glorious noise we make.
I always try to treat every new year as a new beginning and this will
certainly apply this weekend.

Onward and forward and may everyone have a safe and prosperous 2013.

See you at The Rock Show.

Yours Truly,
Patterson Hood
Drive-By Truckers

WSPDBT

Post by WSPDBT »

thanks for that I appreciate it. that is horrible I really loved the pedal steel in the band
The Dude Abides

Kudzu Guillotine

As others have noted, I guess "we have no plans to replace John" is open to interpretation but there's already several threads devoted to that.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:fyi the Old 97's are on the AOTW schedule for next month.

Awesome! I got "Too far to call" when it was first released back in the days. Was my favorite album for a long time but then sort of lost track of them. Didn't know they were still playing until I saw their name on the schedule board by the 40 Watt last at years HC.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa