San Francisco, CA -- Saturday, May 8, 2010 -- Fillmore

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: San Francisco, CA -- Saturday, May 8, 2010 -- Fillmore

Post by Penny Lane »

awwwwwwwwwww that's a great pic!!! hawties!!

BTB---DIM SUM....oh my heavens.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

Wow! Amazing show. I apologize in advance - I did not keep a setlist.

First things first - The Doublemint Twins where the hawtest thing in the whole damn joint! They were down front in their places with bright and shining faces -- rockin' the rail with all their lovely cleavage and head-bopping, rawk-show grooviness. I believe that just their very presence on the front row caused the boys to crank it up a notch.

Here are some songs, from my very addled memory...

New stuff played

After the Scene Died
This Fucking Job
Birthday Boy
I Told You So
Santa Fe
Flying Wallendas

Classics

Sinkhole
18 wheels of love - special Momma's day shout out...
LTBR
Puttin' People on the Moon
People Who Died

B/C They sold out the venue, there is a special Fillmore poster made that everyone gets on their way out the door. It is no Wes Freed, but it is a Fillmore poster, therefore cool.

I'm sure some techie genious will figure out how to scan it in.

Eatin' my healthy Elvis, slammin some java and getting ready to hit the road to Tahoe.

Love y'all and wish you could have all been here!!!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The lovely Doublemint Twins on their way out earlier this evening:

So damn cute...

Another amazing show from the best band in the land.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

doublemint twins

Post by doublemint twins »

There was so much awesome last night that we don't even know where to start.

From the rail that waited for us even though we were not first in line (and put us right at Cooley's feet), to the guys obl met in Athens this year who materialized and were so nice, to sactochris and his lovely bride (that bottle of water mid-way through was SO appreciated, Chris), to some Heathen outta Utah, to wwcd and HIS lovely bride and mr. bovine kneivel, to an amazing fucking setlist played with such fervor and artistry, we just about od'd on the awesome.

So by the time Cooley pointed to us before launching into Three Dimes Down, we practically passed out from excitement. How did he know?

(might have had to do with lm's "one belt loop away" shirt....)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:D :D :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Wow, what a night! Met up with WWCD and his lovely wife and had a great day and night together in SF. We ran into Lurleen McQueen and JimmyC on Fillmore and that was cool. Hooked up with Bovine Kenievel and friend Kevin for some excellent sushi in Japantown before the show. The Fillmore is kind of like a rock and roll cathedral. The upstairs bars walls are covered with all the posters from the sold out shows from years gone by and along with the huge photo of Jerry in the stairway, you can feel the history in the room.

Upon WWWCD's recommendation we took up residence under the mirror ball, which turned out to be a great spot. The Truckers came out with Fourth Night Of My Drinking and killed it all night. I checked several songs off my never seen live before list, including Life in the Factory, 72 and Love Like This. Patterson dedicated Tornadoes to the victims of the storms that have recently ravaged the south and also graced us with a fairly rare Great Car Dealer War, which was very cool. Cooley had a great night as well, ripping up Three Dimes down, Gravity's Gone, Shut Up and Get on the Plane and Uncle Frank. After the show I got to meet ever so briefly the DoubleMint Twins, but didn't really get a chance to chat. Next time for sure.

Overall, we had another great time with really cool people that I hope to see at DBT shows many times in the future. San Francisco rocks, the Fillmore rocks, the Drive-By Truckers rock, and WWCD, BK and all the rest of you totally rock!

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

The Fourth Night of my Drinking
Gravity's Gone
Life in the Factory
Get Downtown
I Told You So
After the Scene Dies
The Great Car Dealer War
Love Like This
Santa Fe
Tornadoes
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Sinkhole
Three Dimes Down
Uncle Frank
This Fucking Job
The Flying Wallendas
Shut Up and Get Your Ass on the Plane
Putting People On the Moon
--------------------------------
18 Wheels of Love
Let There Be Rock
People Who Died

At least that's what my sketchy notes say. There might be one missing. Comments to follow, (probably)...

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

Zip City was in there too. Just after 18 Wheels... if I'm not mistaken.

I think I may still be missing one more.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:The lovely Doublemint Twins on their way out earlier this evening:

Jesus TC! Why would you post a picture like that? Do you just flat out HATE kittens!?
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

GW in IA wrote:

Jesus TC! Why would you post a picture like that? Do you just flat out HATE kittens!?

:lol:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

littlemamma

Post by littlemamma »

I had fun.
This is the best band to their fans in the rock world today.
It was magic.
other than that, I have no words.
Love y'all, LM
NSFW

mhc

Post by mhc »

Which backdrop did they use?
"I wonder who gets the donkey"
Clams

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

mhc wrote:Which backdrop did they use?

Hey UTHeathen! It was a pleasure meeting you and Kim. Sorry I didn't get a chance to say "Goodbye" to you both. I hope to see you both again.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

semihardcheese wrote:The Fourth Night of my Drinking
Gravity's Gone
Life in the Factory
Get Downtown
I Told You So
After the Scene Dies
The Great Car Dealer War
Love Like This
Santa Fe
Tornadoes
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Sinkhole
Three Dimes Down
Uncle Frank
This Fucking Job
The Flying Wallendas
18 Wheels of Love
Let There Be Rock
People Who Died

At least that's what my sketchy notes say. There might be one missing. Comments to follow, (probably)...

You missed:

Hell No, I Ain't Happy!!!

ucdtim17

Post by ucdtim17 »

Great show - my first. Unfortunately my girlfriend couldn't make it through to the end of the show so we had to leave early and didn't get a poster. Any chance anyone got a spare they could spare? I'd be happy to pay for postage and time/effort. I don't really want to pay $30 on ebay though. My Hold Steady poster needs a friend

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

ucdtim17 wrote:Great show - my first. Unfortunately my girlfriend couldn't make it through to the end of the show so we had to leave early and didn't get a poster. Any chance anyone got a spare they could spare? I'd be happy to pay for postage and time/effort. I don't really want to pay $30 on ebay though. My Hold Steady poster needs a friend

They had a few left at the end of the night. You might be able to call and beg (me and lm got lucky, but I saw a small stack still there). If not, try the SF Amoeba....
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

semihardcheese

Post by semihardcheese »

bovine knievel wrote:
semihardcheese wrote:The Fourth Night of my Drinking
Gravity's Gone
Life in the Factory
Get Downtown
I Told You So
After the Scene Dies
The Great Car Dealer War
Love Like This
Santa Fe
Tornadoes
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Sinkhole
Three Dimes Down
Uncle Frank
This Fucking Job
The Flying Wallendas
18 Wheels of Love
Let There Be Rock
People Who Died

You missed:

Hell No, I Ain't Happy!!!

That's it! Thank you. I think it was just after This Fucking Job... or maybe just before. My notes are a mess.

mikonte

Post by mikonte »

What a great show! Does anyone know if there is a recording available from it?

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

The poster!!

whatwouldcooleydo?

Post by whatwouldcooleydo? »

I'm also in the "no words" camp. just got home from Tahoe, where the show was every bit as good as SF, totally toasted after being up way late last night and then white-knuckling it home in some pretty heinous snow this morning. I made it fine but it was, to say the least, nerve-wracking for a bit. So good to meet all the new faces and reconnect with peeps I had already met. I was a helluva weekend and I wish I could have continued onward to UT and CO. I'll probably have more lucid statements later but will close for now...... but one more thing: last night Patterson said something that summed a lot of things up when he said, "what's a Sunday night when you're in the Saturday night business?" Only difference between the band and us is that we pay and they get paid, but we're all in the same game.... or something like that :lol:

Didn't keep a Tahoe setlist, but lots of repeats. Standout "non-repeats" from the night before were Plastic Flowers, Heathens, Women w/o Whiskey, an enormously huge RITFW encore, and Granddaddy. I'm sure I'll remember more later, maybe
Son, this ain't a dream no more, it's the real thing

GhostToMost

Post by GhostToMost »

Hey everyone, I'm new to the group, but I was at the show on Saturday. I live in SF, and that was my fifth DBT show since moving here (if you count both nights of the Rock and Roll Means Well tour), and I must say, it was definitely the best I have ever seen. They just killed it. I took a friend who had never seen or heard of them, and she was smitten as well. Really a great time.

A couple things:

To the poster/editors of the setlist, THANK YOU! That's what I came hear to find, and I'm glad I can make a playlist now. I believe Zip City was right before 18 Wheels of Love, but otherwise, looks pretty good. I feel like we are still missing one from the Encore (it was an epic set), but I'm not remembering what it is.

UTHeathen, can I assume you are from Utah? I grew up in Bountiful before discovering rock and roll and getting the hell out of there. Seems like we might be fellow travelers. Hope you can make the Salt Lake show. I would love it if we had a strong showing.

Hope to see y'all at the next SF show.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

GhostToMost wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new to the group...

Welcome to 3DD!! This a great group of people with a tremendous amount of rock and roll knowledge. Great choice of username too.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

GhostToMost wrote:Hey everyone, I'm new to the group, but I was at the show on Saturday. I live in SF, and that was my fifth DBT show since moving here (if you count both nights of the Rock and Roll Means Well tour), and I must say, it was definitely the best I have ever seen. They just killed it. I took a friend who had never seen or heard of them, and she was smitten as well. Really a great time.

A couple things:

To the poster/editors of the setlist, THANK YOU! That's what I came hear to find, and I'm glad I can make a playlist now. I believe Zip City was right before 18 Wheels of Love, but otherwise, looks pretty good. I feel like we are still missing one from the Encore (it was an epic set), but I'm not remembering what it is.

UTHeathen, can I assume you are from Utah? I grew up in Bountiful before discovering rock and roll and getting the hell out of there. Seems like we might be fellow travelers. Hope you can make the Salt Lake show. I would love it if we had a strong showing.

What up GTM! What? You mean SF is hipper, cooler and more rockin' than Bountiful? Fer ignernt! Glad you had a great show as well. I'll be there tomorrow night at In The Venue (that I swore I'd never go back to again) as well as the in-store with Patterson at The Heavy Metal Shop. The last Rock Show in Salt Lake (The Righteous Path Tour 2.22.08) sold out the 1000 seat Palladium, so the DBT's have always had a really strong following around here. If they don't draw like that this time, I suspect it is because of the horrible reputation of In The Venue and their complete and total lack of publicity for this show. Please DBT's, next time you come to Salt Lake, book The Depot, or Red Butte Gardens, or just about any place besides In The Venue.

We had a great show at the Fillmore, but I can't help but want to make one request. Please light the stage! I don't know if the Matador is still running lights as well as sound, and the backdrops are cool, but please, we'd rather see the band than the damn backdrops. Having Cooley sing most of his songs in total darkness is a pretty lame attempt at a light show. Seems like half the show, the bad was in complete darkness and the backgrounds were the stars. C'mon.

O.K. got that off my chest. Movin' on.

Welcome to 3DD! Hope to see you at the Rock Show!

Clams

Post by Clams »

UTHeathen wrote:We had a great show at the Fillmore, but I can't help but want to make one request. Please light the stage! I don't know if the Matador is still running lights as well as sound, and the backdrops are cool, but please, we'd rather see the band than the damn backdrops. Having Cooley sing most of his songs in total darkness is a pretty lame attempt at a light show. Seems like half the show, the bad was in complete darkness and the backgrounds were the stars. C'mon.

They had the same problem at both of the east coast shows I saw last month. All the solos played by the edge of the stage were in darkness.
If you don't run you rust

Gator McKlusky

Post by Gator McKlusky »

Oh my heck! Bountiful rocks! My aunt lives there.
Looks like a bunch of little whiny fucksticks to me

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I'm also in the "no words" camp. just got home from Tahoe, where the show was every bit as good as SF, totally toasted after being up way late last night and then white-knuckling it home in some pretty heinous snow this morning. I made it fine but it was, to say the least, nerve-wracking for a bit. So good to meet all the new faces and reconnect with peeps I had already met. I was a helluva weekend and I wish I could have continued onward to UT and CO. I'll probably have more lucid statements later but will close for now...... but one more thing: last night Patterson said something that summed a lot of things up when he said, "what's a Sunday night when you're in the Saturday night business?" Only difference between the band and us is that we pay and they get paid, but we're all in the same game.... or something like that :lol:

Didn't keep a Tahoe setlist, but lots of repeats. Standout "non-repeats" from the night before were Plastic Flowers, Heathens, Women w/o Whiskey, an enormously huge RITFW encore, and Granddaddy. I'm sure I'll remember more later, maybe

A few more standouts I remember now were Carl Perkins' Cadillac, Lookout Mountain, Self-Destructive Zones (which Cooley signals to the band by pointing a gun/finger at his head- nice code!). Surprised but happy to get Hell No I Ain't Happy, Zip City, and Sinkhole on consecutive nights. Also, the stage at Crystal Bay was w/o question the smallest stage I've seen them on, and it may be the smallest stage on which I've seen a major band play. At times I was worried that one of them was gonna smack another upside the head with a headstock!

whatwouldcooleydo?

ucdtim17 wrote:Great show - my first. Unfortunately my girlfriend couldn't make it through to the end of the show so we had to leave early and didn't get a poster. Any chance anyone got a spare they could spare? I'd be happy to pay for postage and time/effort. I don't really want to pay $30 on ebay though. My Hold Steady poster needs a friend

Tim,
I sent you a personal message regarding the poster, hollah!

whatwouldcooleydo?

whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:
whatwouldcooleydo? wrote:I'm also in the "no words" camp. just got home from Tahoe, where the show was every bit as good as SF, totally toasted after being up way late last night and then white-knuckling it home in some pretty heinous snow this morning. I made it fine but it was, to say the least, nerve-wracking for a bit. So good to meet all the new faces and reconnect with peeps I had already met. I was a helluva weekend and I wish I could have continued onward to UT and CO. I'll probably have more lucid statements later but will close for now...... but one more thing: last night Patterson said something that summed a lot of things up when he said, "what's a Sunday night when you're in the Saturday night business?" Only difference between the band and us is that we pay and they get paid, but we're all in the same game.... or something like that :lol:

A few more standouts I remember now were Carl Perkins' Cadillac, Lookout Mountain, Self-Destructive Zones (which Cooley signals to the band by pointing a gun/finger at his head- nice code!). Surprised but happy to get Hell No I Ain't Happy, Zip City, and Sinkhole on consecutive nights. Also, the stage at Crystal Bay was w/o question the smallest stage I've seen them on, and it may be the smallest stage on which I've seen a major band play. At times I was worried that one of them was gonna smack another upside the head with a headstock!

add Daddy Needs a Drink

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Got back from Tahoe last night, hard to imagine so much snow falling on May 10th,
made for an intense day of driving, just getting back to earth as i type this.
So great to see the Band FILL the Fillmore, hopefully this is the end of c0-Headlining, now for a 2nd nite per run.
Took my wonderful wife to her 1st DBT show, she LOVED it, don't think i'll ever be going alone again...
Show was Fabulous, my personal highlight was the Tornadoes with a mind bending jam coming out of it, total bliss.
The DBT ALWAYS throw down at the Fillmore, period!
Hope you all who came out had a great experience...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

whatwouldcooleydo?

PeterG wrote:Got back from Tahoe last night, hard to imagine so much snow falling on May 10th,
made for an intense day of driving, just getting back to earth as i type this.
So great to see the Band FILL the Fillmore, hopefully this is the end of c0-Headlining, now for a 2nd nite per run.
Took my wonderful wife to her 1st DBT show, she LOVED it, don't think i'll ever be going alone again...
Show was Fabulous, my personal highlight was the Tornadoes with a mind bending jam coming out of it, total bliss.
The DBT ALWAYS throw down at the Fillmore, period!
Hope you all who came out had a great experience...

Great to hit Tahoe like we did with you Peter, it was about time for us to finally cross paths, and we made it count! Shit happened