Patterson Hood at the State Room, SLC, 3.29-30.2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

UTHeathen

Patterson Hood at the State Room, SLC, 3.29-30.2013

Post by UTHeathen »

Woo Freakin' Hoo! Patterson at the State Room for 2, count 'em, 2 nights in March! Dreams really do come true. Now if we can just get Cooley to play the State Room on his way from CO to CA, I can die smiling.

UTHeathen

Re: Patterson Hood at the State Room, SLC, 3.29-30.2013

Post by UTHeathen »

This just in:

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

From Patterson's Facebook post today.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Just got back from another super cool show at the State Room. It just keeps getting better and better. It felt like Patterson put on a show in my living room. I'm not sure I've ever experienced such a quiet and for the most part, respectful and attentive audience. I don't think the State Room quite sold out, but I would estimate about 200+ people in the room. Patterson seemed totally at ease after a couple of songs. He started with a new song, Hold On followed by Two Daughters and Daddy Needs a Drink. The beautiful, subdued volume and crystal clarity, combined with the respectful silence created an intimate aura that is regretfully rare. It didn't take long before Patterson had us in the palm of his hand. Next up, he rolled into My Sweet Annette, only to abort after failing to recollect the first line, even after multiple prompts from the peanut gallery. The Living Bubba made everything alright. Just like the rest of the night. In between tried and true faves like Heathens and Tales Facing Up we were treated to several new songs, including Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent and Jimmy Page, which is fucking awesome, by the way. Let there be Rock came as close to Rock Show glory as you possibly could with one man and an acoustic guitar. It was obvious that Patterson was having a good time and that was radiated back in spades by the people in the room. It was a rare treat to be so close and to hear songs that are totally new to me, not to mention sharing the show with great friends who experienced Patterson for the first time. Oh, and after a halfhearted attempt to walk off stage before the inevitable encore, he did pull off a flawless My Sweet Annette. After tonight's show I'm totally in the zone and can't wait to see what tomorrow night brings. Stay tuned . . .

Here's the set list:

Hang on
Two daughters
Daddy needs a drink
My sweet Annette (aborted)
Living bubba
12:01
Leaving time
Forged in hell and heaven sent
Heathens
Better off without
Tales facing up
Jimmy page
Uncle Disney
Margo and Harold
Don't be in love around me
Locked and loaded
Road cases
Talking George Jones Cellphone Blues
This fucking job
Granddaddy
Old Timers Disease
Heat lightning
Leaving time reprise
My sweet Annette
White knuckle West Virginia
Let there be rock

Last edited by UTHeathen on Tue Apr 02, 2013 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Nice. Oh and fantastic pictures!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

W/out actually looking at the previous set lists, I'm pretty sure this is the first major shake up of the set since PH started doing these Heat Lightning solo shows. Sounds like a great nite. Thanx for the report.

Somewhere around here is a recent discussion about how the band gets cued to songs when there's no set list. Based on what you've described and what I've seen myself, it seems like Patterson sometimes gets thrown off w/out the full band intros. I mean, he obviously knows the words to "Annette" but it seems like w/out the usual intro he can't just go into automatic mode where he accesses a jillion lyrics w/out thinking about it. Kind of like when your mind automatically starts "hearing" the next song on an album you've listened to a million times and you get thrown off when it's on the radio and the next song doesn't follow :)
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

UTHeathen wrote: we were treated to several new songs, including Forged in Hell and Heaven Sent

I was wondering if that would ever reappear. He played that in Annapolis last summer, just after he wrote it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7whV6s7YwcU

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Thanks for the report. That pretty much sums up my feelings about the Patterson show I saw in Carrboro back in February. There's a lot to be said for an asshat free concert.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

He played My Sweet Annette twice?
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Zip City wrote:He played My Sweet Annette twice?

And you help the kids with their homework?
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:
Zip City wrote:He played My Sweet Annette twice?

And you help the kids with their homework?

:lol: :lol:

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

I'm still walking on air from two nights of Patterson Hood at the State Room. Patterson seemed to really enjoy himself here with all of the old friends and new ones he made on this long over due visit. There was a in-store signing event at the Heavy Metal Shop, so I had a couple of prints made of one of my all-time favorite shots of Patterson from my first DBT show on February 17, 2004. After the last appearance at the Heavy Metal Shop in 2010, I promised myself that if I ever had the opportunity to meet Patterson again, I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for bringing myself and so many others so much joy, passion, fun and friendships. When I finally got the chance to do that yesterday, Patterson could not have been more gracious and welcoming. He mentioned what a great adventure Drive-By Truckers has been for him as well, and how excited he is about the current incarnation of the band. I left the Heavy Metal Shop blushing like a schoolgirl, but feeling humbled and grateful to have been able to have a brief but genuine exchange with one of the biggest musical heroes of my life. When Patterson saw my print, he really liked the photo and said "I remember that shirt!" He signed it to UTHeathen. Something that I will treasure always.

Night two at the State Room felt like it picked up right where night one left off. The crowd was a little larger and a little louder and skewed a little younger than friday night. He came out and said right away that since there were a lot of folks that were here last night, he was going to shake up the setlist as much as possible. He started out pretty quiet with Depression Era, but from there the pace really picked up with Leaving Time, Pollyanna and Jimmy Page, which after hearing it twice is becoming one of my new favorite Patterson tunes. He continued the theme with another new song called Grandpa Rock City. The energy around me was a lot more rockin' than friday night, due largely to the cool group of twenty-somethings that drove 5 hours to Salt Lake from Salmon Idaho. They were digging it as much if not more than I was. From rocking Steve McQueen and the Buford Stick, which Patterson said was his only acoustic performance of that song as far as he could recall, he brought it down with a hauntingly beautiful Tornadoes as the room once again became dead silent.

The next song, called Grand Canyon is a brand new tribute to great friend and "Drive-By Truckers Ambassador" Craig Lieske. It was a special moment and we all knew we were lucky to have been there to witness it.

When the show finally ended with World of Hurt, we all knew that we had gotten way more than our money's worth. As usual.

You could really tell during both shows that Patterson was really enjoying his stay in Salt Lake, from complimenting the State Room to proclaiming that the Red Iguana is one of his "all-time faves" to the relaxed onstage banter and general joviality. The whole weekend was just fantastic. Thank you Patterson, the State Room, and Kevin Kirk at the Heavy Metal Shop! Now if the shows at the Boulder Theater in a couple of weeks come anywhere close, I will be more than satisfied.

Patterson Hood 3.30.2013 - The State Room, Salt Lake City, Utah

Depression era
Leaving time
Pollyanna
Jimmy Page
Grandpa rock city
Goodes Field Road
Steve McQueen
the Buford stick
Tornadoes
Grand Canyon (tribute to Craig)
Better than the truth
Sinkhole
Heat lightning rumbles in the distance
Road cases
Days of graduation
Ronnie and Neil
Bulldozers and dirt
Come back little star
World of hurt

Last edited by UTHeathen on Sun Mar 31, 2013 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UTHeathen wrote:I'm still walking on air from two nights of Patterson Hood at the State Room. Patterson seemed to really enjoy himself here with all of the old friends and new ones he made on this long over due visit. There was a in-store signing event at the Heavy Metal Shop, so I had a couple of prints made of one of my all-time favorite shots of Patterson from my first DBT show on February 17, 2004. After the last appearance at the Heavy Metal Shop in 2010, I promised myself that if I ever had the opportunity to meet Patterson again, I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for bring myself and so many others so much joy, passion, fun and friendships. When I finally got the chance to do that yesterday, Patterson could not have been more gracious and welcoming. He mentioned what a great adventure Drive-By Truckers has been for him as well, and how excited he is about the current incarnation of the band. I left the Heavy Metal Shop blushing like a schoolgirl, but feeling humbled and grateful to have been able to have a brief but genuine exchange with one of the biggest musical heroes of my life. When Patterson saw my print, he really liked the photo and said "I remember that shirt!" He signed it to UTHeathen. Something that I will treasure always.

:D :D Alsum!

Clams

Post by Clams »

Great stuff UTHeathen!
If you don't run you rust

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

UTHeathen wrote:I'm still walking on air from two nights of Patterson Hood at the State Room. Patterson seemed to really enjoy himself here with all of the old friends and new ones he made on this long over due visit. There was a in-store signing event at the Heavy Metal Shop, so I had a couple of prints made of one of my all-time favorite shots of Patterson from my first DBT show on February 17, 2004. After the last appearance at the Heavy Metal Shop in 2010, I promised myself that if I ever had the opportunity to meet Patterson again, I wanted to express my sincere gratitude for bringing myself and so many others so much joy, passion, fun and friendships. When I finally got the chance to do that yesterday, Patterson could not have been more gracious and welcoming. He mentioned what a great adventure Drive-By Truckers has been for him as well, and how excited he is about the current incarnation of the band. I left the Heavy Metal Shop blushing like a schoolgirl, but feeling humbled and grateful to have been able to have a brief but genuine exchange with one of the biggest musical heroes of my life. When Patterson saw my print, he really liked the photo and said "I remember that shirt!" He signed it to UTHeathen. Something that I will treasure always.

Night two at the State Room felt like it picked up right where night one left off. The crowd was a little larger and a little louder and skewed a little younger than friday night. He came out and said right away that since there were a lot of folks that were here last night, he was going to shake up the setlist as much as possible. He started out pretty quiet with Depression Era, but from there the pace really picked up with Leaving Time, Pollyanna and Jimmy Page, which after hearing it twice is becoming one of my new favorite Patterson tunes. He continued the theme with another new song called Grandpa Rock City. The energy around me was a lot more rockin' than friday night, due largely to the cool group of twenty-somethings that drove 5 hours to Salt Lake from Salmon Idaho. They were digging it as much if not more than I was. From rocking Steve McQueen and the Buford Stick, which Patterson said was his only acoustic performance of that song as far as he could recall, he brought it down with a hauntingly beautiful Tornadoes as the room once again became dead silent.

The next song, called Grand Canyon is a brand new tribute to great friend and "Drive-By Truckers Ambassador" Craig Lieske. It was a special moment and we all knew we were lucky to have been there to witness it.

When the show finally ended with World of Hurt, we all knew that we had gotten way more than our money's worth. As usual.

You could really tell during both shows that Patterson was really enjoying his stay in Salt Lake, from complimenting the State Room to proclaiming that the Red Iguana is one of his "all-time faves" to the relaxed onstage banter and general joviality. The whole weekend was just fantastic. Thank you Patterson, the State Room, and Kevin Kirk at the Heavy Metal Shop! Now if the shows at the Boulder Theater in a couple of weeks come anywhere close, I will be more than satisfied

Thanks man. Great reporting
Always go to the show

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Thanks for your wonderful writing, Brett. Can't wait to see you guys next week!
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

Jonicont wrote:Thanks man. Great reporting

colodogdoc wrote:Thanks for your wonderful writing, Brett. Can't wait to see you guys next week!

Thanks for reading! I'm always happy to be able to contribute to the scene.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

I gave one of my prints to Kevin at the Heavy Metal Shop at the in-store the other day, and low and behold, there is it on the table in front of Patterson.

(from Kevin's FB page)

blackwll

Post by blackwll »

http://slcene.com/2013/03/31/concert-re ... tate-room/

How was the Grand Canyon song, apparently dedicated to Craig L.?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

blackwll wrote:http://slcene.com/2013/03/31/concert-review-patterson-hood-at-the-state-room/

How was the Grand Canyon song, apparently dedicated to Craig L.?

This is from Craig's memorial service at the 40 Watt:

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Wow, great pics and recap. Is the new song 'Hang on' or 'Hold on'? Just wondering..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

UTHeathen wrote:I gave one of my prints to Kevin at the Heavy Metal Shop at the in-store the other day, and low and behold, there is it on the table in front of Patterson.

(from Kevin's FB page)

that is so cool!
In my blood, there's gasoline..