dbt song of the week #136 (last one*)- SANTA FE

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

dbt song of the week #136 (last one*)- SANTA FE

Post by Clams »

Don't ask me how Santa Fe fell down through the cracks to week # 136, but it did. Which means we get to end SOTW in real style.

This is one of my absolute favorite songs of DBT's "modern era" and the jam that begins around the 2:06 mark is like a musical orgasm to my ears. Johnny Neff you will be missed. Do it again tomorrow...

You said that you'd be waiting for me here in Santa Fe
with hotel rooms and TV's booming loud every night and day
And all I have to do is just be careful what I say and do and what I put us through

Colorado, lines were down
Des Moine's an underwater town
Don't know what it is I thought I'd find out here
It's moving forward as it must
95 and blowing dust
Sitting here and missing us
It couldn't be more clear

You said that you'd be waiting for me here in Santa Fe
with dreams and postponements made along the way
Conditioned by the outstretched miles and high desert air
Thinking I might find you there

Holding you in my dreams
Ricocheting back and forth between my two extremes
of light and dark and all the in betweens
All of us know too well exactly what that means

Will you be here waiting for me here in Santa Fe?
With arms and obligations and tears along the way
All I have to do is revel in the everyday
Then do it again tomorrow
Do it again tomorrow
Do it again tomorrow in some other place

* I am 99% sure this is the last SOTW from all the DBT "proper" releases including all of the studio albums, plus AAW and The Fine Print. I invite any of you historians and spread sheet keepers to prove me wrong. 8-)
If you don't run you rust

RevMatt

Re: dbt song of the week #136 (last one*)- SANTA FE

Post by RevMatt »

I guess it is your fault that Santa Fe fell through the cracks. :lol:

IMO, there are two things that contributed to TBTD not being as well received by the fans as the band thought it would. The first is that there were problems with the vinyl release. The records had to be "recalled" and pressed again. Most fans didn't get the vinyl until three months after the album was released. TBTD is probably the DBT album where the sound quality between the cd and the vinyl is greatest. The guitars sound so much better in analogue. I don't know why the difference is greatest with TBTD but the guitars are much crunchier on vinyl.

The second thing that contributed to it is the sequencing on the second half of the album. The album is sequenced as follows: It is bookended by Hood and Cooley songs that are meditations on their family life. "Daddy Learned To Fly" is the heartbreak of being away from your children so much and the fear of what would happen to your children if you were to die before they are grown, something every man feels. The rest of the first half is all about men and women behaving badly: drunken binges, cheating on their spouses. That part of the album ends with the emotional heartbreak of "You Got Another". The second half of the record starts off with two songs that deal with the economic lives of regular working people in a recession. It is followed by several songs that deal with the band's perspective on the sacrifices and things they do to make a living, capping it off with "The Flying Wallendas", a song which in this context is saying that the lives of rock and rollers are really no different than vaudville and circus performers of previous generations. However, on the cd "Girls Who Smoke" was left off. "I Told You So" interupts this logical chain. It is not about the life of a musician. Because it comes right before "Santa Fe" in the sequence, "Santa Fe" takes on a slightly different meaning in this context. The song is more about a man missing his wife and the consequences of not being able to meet in Santa Fe than the familial sacrifices a touring musician makes.

When it comes to sequencing an album, Patterson Hood is one of the best ever. He reminds me of Gordon Lish or Gary Fiskejon, two editors who worked on some of the greatest short story collections of the late seventies and 1980's. He seems to understand how the meaning of an individual song is impacted by where it appears on an album. I don't know his train of thought when he made the decision to leave off "Girls Who Smoke" or place "It's Gonna Be I Told You So" where he did on the record. It wouldn't surprise me if he doesn't remember because recording a record is such an intense process. (Imagine trying to explain why you wrote a certain paragraph for a college term paper three years after the fact.) But the final impact of this decision is that "Santa Fe" lost its some of its "all this touring I have to do to make a living is sure taking a toll on my marriage" meaning and "The Flying Wallendas" becomes just a song about the lives of circus performers, losing the whole rock show metaphor in the process.

Overall, TBTD would have been much stronger if "Girls Who Smoke" had either replaced "I Told You So" or if "I Told You So" appeared in the first half of the record. The second half would be 1) A song about the average person's economic uncertainty, 2) A humorous song about the impact that has on a marriage, followed by a look at a touring band's world with 3) a song about shitty festival gigs bands take because the pay is guaranteed, 4) A song about how the strength of local scenes effect the overall economic health of the music biz, 5) A song about the touring life's impact on a marriage, 6) A song about how the rock tour is really not much different than the lives of vaudeville and circus performers of previous generations. Actually, "The Flying Wallendas" is a much more powerful song in context because the narrator is seeing his future as he remembers the retired tight rope walker who lived next door to his grandparents in Florida.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I love Santa Fe. I love a lot of the Big To Do songs. The main mistake of that album was ending with Flying Wallendas and Eyes Like Glue. Replace those two with Girls Who Smoke and its an upper-half DBT album.

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

I am 99% sure this is the last SOTW from all the DBT "proper" releases including all of the studio albums, plus AAW and The Fine Print. I invite any of you historians and spread sheet keepers to prove me wrong.

Loved Sante Fe from the moment I first heard it which was live in Charlottesville, VA in Feb 2010 right before the TBTD was released.

Regarding the SOTW, can we start with solo material? Which would mostly be Patterson Hood and Jason Isbell. Then I guess you would need to change the name to "DBT related song of the week."

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Being the literalist i tend to be, I've never quite gotten "Sante Fe." Which doesn't interfere w/ me liking the song a whole hell of a lot - it works on a number of levels created by the interplay of musical setting and lyrics. But it seems like it "ought" to be about a couple trying to reconnect in Sante Fe and the hardships and the joys that come from that "hit and run" sort of life. Instead, it's about the singer being disappointed that his spouse/significant other didn't show at all (and perhaps that she misled him - "you said that you'd be waiting here") and the hardships (and not so many joys) that result from those missed connections and long(er) absences. It works either way and it works if one is not sure which way to take it, but it's a much more devastating song and much more negative look at life taken the latter way.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I love Santa Fe. I love a lot of the Big To Do songs. The main mistake of that album was ending with Flying Wallendas and Eyes Like Glue. Replace those two with Girls Who Smoke and its an upper-half DBT album.

I love Flying Wallendas.

To the topic though I also love Santa Fe. The tone on the Baxendale acoustic is just right and the whole feel of the song starts there. It also has the kind of back and forth type of melody that I love on acoustic based tracks. Then of course there's the last verse that ties it all up beautifully:

Do it again tomorrow
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

they should've gotten the cinematographer from Breaking Bad to help them shoot a video.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Patterson Hood wrote:Ricocheting back and forth between my two extremes
of light and dark and all the in betweens
All of us know too well exactly what that means

Yup, we sure do. Brilliant.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Iowan wrote:I love Santa Fe. I love a lot of the Big To Do songs. The main mistake of that album was ending with Flying Wallendas and Eyes Like Glue. Replace those two with Girls Who Smoke and its an upper-half DBT album.

I love Flying Wallendas.

To the topic though I also love Santa Fe. The tone on the Baxendale acoustic is just right and the whole feel of the song starts there. It also has the kind of back and forth type of melody that I love on acoustic based tracks. Then of course there's the last verse that ties it all up beautifully:

Do it again tomorrow

Flying Wallendas is a decent song, I just think its a poor fit on this album, especially where its placed.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

I'm kind of sad to see this coming to an end for now.

I love Santa Fe. I did the first time I heard it and getting to see it live in Athens two years ago was a real highlight.

The odd thing about my liking it is, it's pretty representative of why TBTD didn't quite work to me and is in the bottom part of the DBT catalogue in my opinion.

It's a great song but it doesn't jibe with what I thought TBTD was going to be or was supposed to be.

Prior to the release, I read about how TBTD was going to be more of a rocker as an album vis a vis the dark, moody, BTCD. I remember being real excited about that.

I remember Patterson sort of promoting TBTD as a "big rock record" and to me it just wasn't due to the inclusion of Santa Fe, Wallendas, Eyes Like Glue, You Got Another, all on that record. Now I love Santa Fe because it's such a great song. I was able to let the less rocking vibe slide because of that.

But I've personally never cared for Flying Wallendas at all. I don't neceassarily think You Got Another and Told You So are bad songs, they just don't seem like they would belong on a record that you wanted to be sort of a rocker. And Eyes Like Glue may be the one and only Cooley song that I ever skip. It's pretty, as a new father, I can relate, it just doesn't seem like it belongs.

Also, I can't understand leaving Girls Who Smoke off of the cd version of the album but leaving on some of the others. To me, Drag The Lake Charlie, The Wig He Made Her Wear, Told You So, Eyes Like Glue, Flying Wallendas, and sometimes, After The Scene Dies, just honestly aren't that good.

If you love TBTD or any of those songs, this is just one guy's opinion, but to me that album just sort of falls short.

It's a shame because I love Santa Fe and I love Birthday Boy, Daddy Learned To Fly, Get Downtown, and Girls Who Smoke. It could have been a really, really good album.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Cole Younger wrote:and sometimes, After The Scene Dies, just honestly aren't that good.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

I think you and me are gonna have to step outside, son
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Zip City wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:and sometimes, After The Scene Dies, just honestly aren't that good.

Dibs
Always go to the show

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Cole Younger wrote:
and sometimes, After The Scene Dies, just honestly aren't that good.

ATSD was the first DBT song I heard live when they opened with it at Cain's in Tulsa. Still one of my favorite DBT tunes.

But I do agree with Cole in regard to TBTD overall. I too thought it was going to be a balls-out rocker and some of it is, but I feel there are a few songs that don't work in that regard.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I don't think The Big To Do is anymore a "rock" record than Go-Go Boots is a 'country-soul" record. Sure, there's strong elements of both on each album but that's not the first thing to come to mind when I think of either of them.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Disregard any preconceptions about what the record was "supposed" to be (someone else mentioned it before, but artists sometimes aren't very good at classifying their own work) and judge it for what it is.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:Disregard any preconceptions about what the record was "supposed" to be (someone else mentioned it before, but artists sometimes aren't very good at classifying their own work) and judge it for what it is.

Oh, well, in that case I think it's just not all that good.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Zip City wrote:

Yall don't want none. But I'll be in Athens so you can give it a shot there. :D

Like I said, sometimes.

It's probably their only song that I feel that way about.

Sometimes I like it ok, other times not as much.

This is one that works a lot better for me live than it does on the record. A whole lot better.

It brings back memories of the GA Theatre burning down and before they rebuilt, that alone was reason enough to skip it most of the time.

Live it's pretty good. On the record, very average.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

I have always had a special place for Santa Fe. It's one of those songs that I immediately felt like I had always known, as if it had just resurfaced from an alternate childhood where it was a huge hit alongside Dreamweaver and those other sustain-oriented songs of the 70s. It also appeared around the time of a strangely similar personal experience in Santa Fe, on a trip that went bad and a broken relationship that left me with a lot to ponder, but nothing really to resolve. I am pretty sure I'll never get tired of this song.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:Disregard any preconceptions about what the record was "supposed" to be (someone else mentioned it before, but artists sometimes aren't very good at classifying their own work) and judge it for what it is.

In that case I kind of view TBTD as ABAAC without the obvious creative tension that adds a certain layer to ABAAC. It features one of my top 10 DBT songs in "Birthday Boy", the best song Shonna ever put to this band ("You Got Another"), a bunch of fun Patterson songs that rock, but certainly don't rise to his upper echelon ("Santa Fe" is the closest we get to top notch Patterson; its pretty close), and a couple of skippers.

Its decidedly less "southern" than anything but ABAAC. About half of these songs could have been b-sides, but I've enjoyed most of them at one time or another.

The best of TBTD and GGB combined into one album would have rivaled anything else DBT has done. As separate affairs, they both fall in the bottom of half of the DBT canon.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Pretty sure most on this board keep up with Jason's solo material.

Sorry if this has been suggested before, but how about doing some of Jason's songs for SOTW?? I wouldn't suggest all of them, but maybe the more prominent ones... Maybe this will tide us over until the new rekkid comes out.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Iowan wrote:

In that case I kind of view TBTD as ABAAC without the obvious creative tension that adds a certain layer to ABAAC. It features one of my top 10 DBT songs in "Birthday Boy", the best song Shonna ever put to this band ("You Got Another"), a bunch of fun Patterson songs that rock, but certainly don't rise to his upper echelon ("Santa Fe" is the closest we get to top notch Patterson; its pretty close), and a couple of skippers.

Its decidedly less "southern" than anything but ABAAC. About half of these songs could have been b-sides, but I've enjoyed most of them at one time or another.

The best of TBTD and GGB combined into one album would have rivaled anything else DBT has done. As separate affairs, they both fall in the bottom of half of the DBT canon.

This is the post that I tried to make.

Well said.

RMD

Post by RMD »

For me Santa Fe is right up there with Patterson 's best.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

One of my absolute favorites. One of the best parts about getting into DBT post-GGB is that I came into everything democratically. Nothing was "old" or "new," everything was "fresh." And because I've only been a fan for a couple years, I pick up on completely new stuff all the time. I listened to The Big To-Do a bunch of times after I first bought it, and several of the songs stuck out - "Daddy Learned to Fly," "The Fourth Night of My Drinking," "Get Downtown," "You Got Another," and of course, "Birthday Boy" (my first ever song by them). I like to make "Essential" playlists of my favorite bands containing tracks from all their albums, so I did those songs and foolishly stopped listening to the album.

A few months ago, I decided to give a full go-through of all the albums again. "Santa Fe" immediately struck me as "why the HELL didn't I make this one "Essential"? Then I saw it in concert in Athens last year and it solidified it - one of the best songs off that album, and one of their best songs yet. Yeah, the Neff pedal steel really elevates it, but I hope the absence of it doesn't destroy it. Knowing that some of their best stuff keeps coming out, even now, gives me complete faith in the future.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

Iowan wrote:

Hey, come up with a tracklist, and I will cue it up as a playlist and see how I go. that would be interesting.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Problem is, no one can agree on what those tracks would be
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

After going back and listening to TBTD, I gotta call bullshit on anyone who says it was not the rock album that Patterson promised.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:After going back and listening to TBTD, I gotta call bullshit on anyone who says it was not the rock album that Patterson promised.

Well, these are just opinions right?

Eyes Like Glue, You Got Another, Told You So, Santa Fe (even though I love it), and Wallendas just don't rock to me.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:
Well, these are just opinions right?

That goes without saying.
I Told You So is a rocker if I ever heard one and Wallendas straddles the line - but other than YGA & ELG, it's a non stop rocker. I think the original quote was it was the hardest rocker since disc 2 of SRO, which it no doubt it is.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Just checkin 'cause I didn't think an opinion could be b.s.

The Dirty South is much more of a rocker than TBTD to my ears.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:Just checkin 'cause I didn't think an opinion could be b.s.

The Dirty South is much more of a rocker than TBTD to my ears.

My opinion is that your opinion is bullshit.(just bustin balls, don't get offended) ;)
I love TDS, but less than half of that album is above mid-tempo.