Johnny Neff Quits

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Zip City

Re: Johnny Neff Quits

Post by Zip City »

I assumed the bitch in question was Neff, not Shonna
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:I assumed the bitch in question was Neff, not Shonna

I just hate hearing "bitch" used as an insult, period, for a whole variety of reasons. And I'll leave it at that.

UPDATE: Except to add what didn't post earlier, due to that quote-nesting limit:

beantownbubba wrote:Yep, taking a shot in that context was ok and probably expected by everyone in the building. But, and I know it's a lost cause on this board, to me, referring to a woman as a bitch is a whole 'nother level of mean, disrespect and offensiveness and escalates things considerably. But that's just me.

Me, too.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

For the record, I am almost positive that he said "I've got 98 problems; but the bitch ain't one". I took it instantly as a subtle jab @ Neff & Shonna & given the way the whole thing apparently went down, it did not seem at all inappropriate. It is sad that it came to that, though.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

I wouldn't make much of it - it was just a throwaway line from one of the biggest songs of the last ten years, so....

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

folks are too sensitive

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

lotusamerica wrote:I wouldn't make much of it - it was just a throwaway line from one of the biggest songs of the last ten years, so....

I agree here, though I definitely wish the reference to women as "bitches" just wasn't. Last night's reference doesn't bother me but the prevalence of usage and the resultant attitude (well, chicken/egg on that, but it perpetuates it) is pretty disturbing.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Gypsy

Post by Gypsy »

Damn. Some of y'all need to put on your big girl panties, grow a pair, and quit acting like a buncha bitches. Some of y'all get offended by way too goddamn much. Geez...
:roll: Lighten the fuck up! 8-)

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Who cares about a subtle jab?! I don't know the whole story. Patterson sure does. Apparently, the dude just shit on a long relationship with no respect at all.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Gypsy wrote:Damn. Some of y'all need to put on your big girl panties, grow a pair, and quit acting like a buncha bitches. Some of y'all get offended by way too goddamn much. Geez...

Wow, what an insightful perspective, and so eloquently stated. I guess I never considered 'growing a pair.' Huh. Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest solutions. Now that I'm donning my 'big girl panties,' I look forward to no longer taking exception to anything anyone says. Magic.

:roll:

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Gypsy wrote:Damn. Some of y'all need to put on your big girl panties, grow a pair, and quit acting like a buncha bitches. Some of y'all get offended by way too goddamn much. Geez...

I mostly agree. Sometimes people are overly sensitive to the point of being ridiculous.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I have a problem referring to someone as a bitch because it is an insult to dogs. Dogs are loyal.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

So did I.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Smitty wrote:

So did I.

x3
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

jimmyjack wrote:

Wow, what an insightful perspective, and so eloquently stated. I guess I never considered 'growing a pair.' Huh. Sometimes the best solutions are the simplest solutions. Now that I'm donning my 'big girl panties,' I look forward to no longer taking exception to anything anyone says. Magic.

:roll:

one of the things I have learnt in this life (and some would say one of the few things....) is that you cannot control what other people do or say. What you can control is your reaction to it.

Hope that helps :)
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Smitty wrote:
Iowan wrote:Jason left because he wanted/needed to be a frontman and he was simultaneously divorcing a bandmate. There may have been other tensions, but I would bet that they centered around these two points. Jason's departure probably wasn't much of a shock to the band.

I don't believe it was Jason's choice...

"I am not in the Drive By Truckers anymore. Go figure. I wish them luck. I will not answer questions about it. If I could change it.... I would"

Which, when you get down to root cause analysis, could very well mean "I wish my marriage hadn't died." I've said things like that when I didn't want to expose the raw nerves underneath the feelings I'm willing to show but still felt I owed people at least some portion of the truth.

Some of y'all are very, very anxious to find a woman to blame. If you can't find a woman, you'll blame a man. I don't doubt there's some blame to go around, but in the real world, shit happens. Sometimes there's no one to blame. In the absence of knowing--and I don't feel the urge to find out--I'll just assume shit happens and hope it works out for the best.

There's also the fact that maybe he was trying to be more of a frontman within a group like DBT, and so was fired. I can't claim to know any of this, but there are a lot of possibilities that aren't Shonna, who seems like more of an easy target. Women tend to be in rock culture.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Steve French wrote:one of the things I have learnt in this life (and some would say one of the few things....) is that you cannot control what other people do or say. What you can control is your reaction to it.

I think this is one of those thing everyone says that turns out not to be true. Not long ago there was this girl in Missouri, Maisie Kate Miller, who'd been getting shit from one of her classmates for quite some time. The last straw was "Who wears pigtails still? What is this, kindergarten?"

She got the typical lame advice and, wisely, ignored it. It's a short article, and you can read it for yourself.

I want to highlight one paragraph here:

In the days since, the student who’d mocked Maisie has not only backed off but sent a message of contrition through friends: “She’s been going through some stuff, too,” Maisie told me on the phone, and hopes that down the line, they’ll be able to talk about it. She’s also gotten multiple messages along the lines of “She’d been bullying me, too, and now she isn’t any more; thank you!”

So sometimes you can control or change what other people say and do. But people really want to believe you can't. Why? I've got thoughts but I'll save them for another day.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Mr. Fantasy

Post by Mr. Fantasy »

GW in IA wrote:
Smitty wrote:

So did I.

x3

yeah I thought it was kinda obvious plus it's a good dig to call a guy a bitch

where's that stones cover when u need it

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

StormandStatic wrote:There's also the fact that maybe he was trying to be more of a frontman within a group like DBT, and so was fired. I can't claim to know any of this, but there are a lot of possibilities that aren't Shonna, who seems like more of an easy target. Women tend to be in rock culture.

I'm sure Jason trying to be more a frontman figured into it, as well as his wanting to tour more and his music going in a different direction - but you can't deny he and Shonna's divorce didn't have a role in it as well only to avoid blaming a woman.
In Jason's own words from The Secret to a Happy Ending (an hour and 32 minutes in):

Barr: I know in conversations with Patterson and Cooley over the past two years, it's been "we gotta find a way to.."
Jason: "...Stop going the road so much" and that's not where I'm at right now. I think that had a huge, huge thing to do with the split, probably more than anything else, except maybe the 300 lb gorilla in the corner of mine and Shonna's relationship"

That's directly from the horse's mouth. Nothing left to debate in regards to whether Shonna had a large role in Jason's axing.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

One more vote for Patterson referring to Neff with the bitch line and I don't blame him. Good on him.

Now I agree that using it on a woman is wrong but I don't think that was what he was doing.

I personally don't expect people to measure every word and NEVER let go some choice words. There's a time and place for everything and after what Neff did, man call it what it is Patterson, dang well told son. I respect you for doing it.

And bubba, I really think he meant Neff, and when it comes to letting things go, you aren't necessarily wrong.

But I get it. Like Patterson, I'm a Southerner, and letting things go aint our strong suit. :D
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Cole Younger wrote:But I get it. Like Patterson, I'm a Southerner, and letting things go aint our strong suit. :D

Neither is wanting to get in the last word or being politically correct all of the time. Sometimes you just gotta be honest.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Cole Younger wrote:One more vote for Patterson referring to Neff with the bitch line and I don't blame him.
And bubba, I really think he meant Neff, and when it comes to letting things go, you aren't necessarily wrong.

But I get it. Like Patterson, I'm a Southerner, and letting things go aint our strong suit. :D

Well, I guess I don't speak Southern (surprise, surprise). I really don't understand how the "bitch" in that quote is Neff but I'm happy to take youse guys word for it.
All opinions and commentary in my posts are solely my own and are made in my personal capacity.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

beantownbubba wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:One more vote for Patterson referring to Neff with the bitch line and I don't blame him.

Well, I guess I don't speak Southern (surprise, surprise). I really don't understand how the "bitch" in that quote is Neff but I'm happy to take youse guys word for it.

Because quitting like that was a "bitch move"
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Zip City wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

Because quitting like that was a "bitch move"

That's how I interpreted it too.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Smitty wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:But I get it. Like Patterson, I'm a Southerner, and letting things go aint our strong suit. :D

Neither is wanting to get in the last word or being politically correct all of the time. Sometimes you just gotta be honest.

Exactly.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Mr. Fantasy

Post by Mr. Fantasy »

I must say I've never seen such an uproar over the use of the word bitch

it's like callin somebody a dick or a bastard even a m0f0 who cares man

Mr. Fantasy

Post by Mr. Fantasy »

plus if Patterson really wanted to make a statement he would have dedicated the "speaking of pussy" part of Steve McQueen to the dearly departed

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

ok so neff was a pussy for the way he quit. he needs a good bitch slappin' :)

Mr. Fantasy

Post by Mr. Fantasy »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:ok so neff was a pussy for the way he quit. he needs a good bitch slappin' :)

w0rd

he's sentenced to a lifetime in the studio with a lead singer that doesn't wear a hat

ccollum92

Post by ccollum92 »

Maybe it's just me, but I'm really not going to be thrilled if they choose to just use Jay as the third guitarist on some songs and have him play keys on others. DBT just won't be the same for me without three people on guitar/pedal steel at all times. The version of "Marry Me" from the bootleg is just so...blegh. It's missing a lot, and Jay's organ is absolutely no replacement for lead guitar. Also when did they start playing some songs really slowly?

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Smitty wrote:
StormandStatic wrote:There's also the fact that maybe he was trying to be more of a frontman within a group like DBT, and so was fired. I can't claim to know any of this, but there are a lot of possibilities that aren't Shonna, who seems like more of an easy target. Women tend to be in rock culture.

I'm sure Jason trying to be more a frontman figured into it, as well as his wanting to tour more and his music going in a different direction - but you can't deny he and Shonna's divorce didn't have a role in it as well only to avoid blaming a woman.
In Jason's own words from The Secret to a Happy Ending (an hour and 32 minutes in):

Barr: I know in conversations with Patterson and Cooley over the past two years, it's been "we gotta find a way to.."
Jason: "...Stop going the road so much" and that's not where I'm at right now. I think that had a huge, huge thing to do with the split, probably more than anything else, except maybe the 300 lb gorilla in the corner of mine and Shonna's relationship"

That's directly from the horse's mouth. Nothing left to debate in regards to whether Shonna had a large role in Jason's axing.

I always took the emphasis in that line on the touring part, with Jason wanting to tour more. Obviously, that's not how DBT panned out, but I saw the line that way.
I'm not avoiding it, it's clear that these relationships played a role, but there's undoubtedly a ton of other stuff too, and we're not really privy to it.