Tulsa 1/24/13 Cain's BAllroom

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: Tulsa 1/24/13 Cain's BAllroom

Post by beantownbubba »

Great pics, DD. Some real keepers for sure. Tinnitus is hearing footsteps. ;)

Being a back of the room guy I never realized that Patterson performs while wearing that big key ring.

OK, who is she?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Love those black 'n white pictures Dave. Thanks for posting.

Cain's is a fun place to catch a show.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

DiamondDave wrote:No rails!

Right up against the stage for us tonight!

Oh, I'm glad of that. I've seen more truly great, for the ages, shows at Cain's than anywhere else. The best rock show I've ever seen was Elvis Costello and the Confederates back in December of '87. I was up against the stage, way to the left, for most of that show. Toward the end of the main set (and before the three, count 'em, three encores), he broke into Van Morrison's "Jackie Wilson Said (I'm In Heaven When You Smile)". It was just a moment of pure ecstasy for me to hear that, and I did one of the least controlled and most weirdest things I've ever done at a concert--I leaned against the stage and crunched my body against it, lifting my feet up off the floor, for, oh, fifteen, twenty seconds.

I just hate to think of anyone else who was uninhibited and ridiculous enough to want to do that when they were transported with ecstasy at a rock show and not getting his or her chance to do what I did.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Just gotta say that the opener, Houndsmouth, was outstanding. They really played an enjoyable set to get us started.
Last opener I liked this much was Ryan Bingham.
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

Clams

Post by Clams »

DiamondDave wrote:

love this one
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

DiamondDave wrote:Just gotta say that the opener, Houndsmouth, was outstanding. They really played an enjoyable set to get us started.
Last opener I liked this much was Ryan Bingham.

100% agree. I knew nothing about them coming in, but they were great. That gal can sing, man.

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

Agree 100% on Houndmouth. Went in having no idea what to expect from them And by the time they left the stage they had certainly made their mark. Looking forward to following their output. I would definitely go see them as a headliner.

As for the rock show, I agree with mg and dd. One of the most intense and heartfelt shows I've ever seen. World Of Hurt brought more than one crowdmember to tears including some in our group.
Speaking of which, it was absolutely great finally getting Bill in CT, DiamondDave, and their respective crews. It's always amazing that this band seems to bring together such kindred spirits. Special shout out to Bill's friend Sandy who almost immediately bonded with my little girl at the show. They stood right next to each other at the foot of Patterson and rocked, danced, hugged, and cried together. Like they'd known each other for years. I did mis seeing mg this time but i'm sure we'll get together next time. Then after the show one of the crew comes out and asked if it would be ok to take Lexi back to meet the band. Really made Lexi's night to get some pics with them and I really Appreciate it. On the drive home she told me we had just shared one of the best nights she'll ever have. Very emotional.

Dave posted the set list, what's not to like? We were hoping to get Lookout Mt, but that is in no way a complaint. I got 5 songs I had never seen them perform live before. That ain't too shabby. And Heathens as an opener!!!?? Just wow.
Until I hear differently, Matt Patton is a member of The Drive-By Truckers. Used To Be A Cop is now oficially his song.
Although I do still mis a pedal steel here & there, Jay is one bad ass rock musician. The more he settles in on guitar the better its gonna be. I dig everything about his sound and his chops are undeniable.
As intense as it felt last night I can't even imagine what the level must have been last weekend. No one could have blamed this band if, after the events of last weekend, they had called off or postponed this leg of the tour. But they didn't. Lexi mentioned last night that she'd never seen a band pour themselves so completely into a performance. Or so obviously believe in every word they were singing. She was the last of my 3 girls to see DBT live.
It was very cool, at about 2am right before I went to bed, to hear her say "I get it now Dad."
Thanks to the band and everyone involved that made this such a memorable night for us.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

4sooner wrote:Then after the show Cole comes out and asked if it would be ok to take Lexi back to meet the band. Really made Lexi's night to get some pics with them and I really Appreciate it. On the drive home she told me we had just shared one of the best nights she'll ever have. Very emotional.

WWOP

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

beantownbubba wrote:
4sooner wrote:Then after the show Cole comes out and asked if it would be ok to take Lexi back to meet the band. Really made Lexi's night to get some pics with them and I really Appreciate it. On the drive home she told me we had just shared one of the best nights she'll ever have. Very emotional.

WWOP

Riiiight ;)

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Wonderful meeting everyone last night for sure. While it wasn't the best show I've seen them do, it definitely was the most real show I've seen. The emotion from the band just boiled all night, and that World Of Hurt was the perfect release.
Wow. Just wow.

Very cool that your daughter got to do the meet & greet! I managed to get a pic from Cooley, and I'm still going through all the damn photos I took!

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Really great photo's, DD!! And oh that Bill.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:Really great photo's, DD!! And oh that Bill.

There was a guy in my HS who was sort of on the edges of my crowd. The kind of guy you'd see around school, maybe have lunch together, whatever, but he wasn't someone we'd think of including in stuff we did. Yet wherever we went, he was always, always there. Late nite munchies? He was there. Concert at the Academy of Music? Yep, there's John. Basketball at the Garden? Guess who. Even if you went to the main library for a school assignment somehow he'd be there too. It got to the point that we decided that he had been cloned (though that word didn't exist yet i don't think) and different versions of him haunted different parts of the city. So "John #1" was the school area John, "John #2" prowled lower Manhattan, etc. He was also known as "the ubiquitous one" which was a mighty big word for city kids like us, but hey it fit and we liked it. Anyway, the point of all that is that I think there may be multiple Bills from CT.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

ubiquitous? I like it. No, I'm pretty sure there is only one Bill from CT (a.k.a. Rain Man). How he does it, I don't know ( but it goes way beyond bein' just a wild & crazy batchelor). I knew a guy in high school (actually he went to another high school) named Gordon. Gordon always wore this purple fedora. He was @ every show I went to & you could see him clear across the Cap Centre. Even Gordon had nothing on Bill (who can tell you what T-shirt he was wearin' when he saw Neil Young in '88).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

4sooner wrote:Agree 100% on Houndmouth. Went in having no idea what to expect from them And by the time they left the stage they had certainly made their mark. Looking forward to following their output. I would definitely go see them as a headliner.

As for the rock show, I agree with mg and dd. One of the most intense and heartfelt shows I've ever seen. World Of Hurt brought more than one crowdmember to tears including some in our group.
Speaking of which, it was absolutely great finally getting Bill in CT, DiamondDave, and their respective crews. It's always amazing that this band seems to bring together such kindred spirits. Special shout out to Bill's friend Sandy who almost immediately bonded with my little girl at the show. They stood right next to each other at the foot of Patterson and rocked, danced, hugged, and cried together. Like they'd known each other for years. I did mis seeing mg this time but i'm sure we'll get together next time. Then after the show one of the crew comes out and asked if it would be ok to take Lexi back to meet the band. Really made Lexi's night to get some pics with them and I really Appreciate it. On the drive home she told me we had just shared one of the best nights she'll ever have. Very emotional.

Dave posted the set list, what's not to like? We were hoping to get Lookout Mt, but that is in no way a complaint. I got 5 songs I had never seen them perform live before. That ain't too shabby. And Heathens as an opener!!!?? Just wow.
Until I hear differently, Matt Patton is a member of The Drive-By Truckers. Used To Be A Cop is now oficially his song.
Although I do still mis a pedal steel here & there, Jay is one bad ass rock musician. The more he settles in on guitar the better its gonna be. I dig everything about his sound and his chops are undeniable.
As intense as it felt last night I can't even imagine what the level must have been last weekend. No one could have blamed this band if, after the events of last weekend, they had called off or postponed this leg of the tour. But they didn't. Lexi mentioned last night that she'd never seen a band pour themselves so completely into a performance. Or so obviously believe in every word they were singing. She was the last of my 3 girls to see DBT live.
It was very cool, at about 2am right before I went to bed, to hear her say "I get it now Dad."
Thanks to the band and everyone involved that made this such a memorable night for us.

Very sorry to have missed you guys Rick, but glad to hear you guys had a fantastic time! We strolled in just as Houndmouth was taking the stage, and man am I glad we didn't miss it. I went to iTunes and picked up their EP today and it is great. It's only $3.96 so I would encourage anyone to pick it up.

I can't say enough about the show last night. Like others have said, it's not the best Truckers show I've seen but I will always remember it. I was raving to a friend of mine today who is also a fan about how great the setlist was and how intense the band was. If anybody is on the fence about seeing one of the last few handful of shows they're doing this month, get out there. You're gonna see something special.

Clams

Post by Clams »

4sooner wrote:Although I do still mis a pedal steel here & there, Jay is one bad ass rock musician. The more he settles in on guitar the better its gonna be. I dig everything about his sound and his chops are undeniable.

^^^^ yes. He's got the hybrid guitar/keyboard thing down pat.

Glad y'all had such a great time. mgsooner, nice to see you back on 3dd.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Just dawned on me......

I didn't see a single taper at Cain's.

:(

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

DiamondDave wrote:Just dawned on me......

I didn't see a single taper at Cain's.

:(

I thought about that exact thing today DD. Too bad.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I loved this show and had a great time the whole night. It was terrific to meet 4sooner & his daughter and DiamondDave & his wife. A group of us had dinner at McNellie's which had fine food and excellent beer. Cain's sells 6-packs of beer at the show. There is tons of music history in that room and you can feel it when you are there. It was cool to be on the rail between my friend Sandy (her 2nd DBT show) and my friend Chris (Crispy from the MMJ board).
I was pleasantly surprised to get a handshake from Patterson when the band came onstage. During LTBR, Patterson was on his knees and held out his fist to give me a fistbump. I was so into the song that I didn't realize it at the time. :oops: Fortunately, Chris brought it to my attention and I then bumped fists with Patterson. :D
At one point during the night, I asked 4sooner if OU fans (he's one as the board knows) have more antipathy toward OSU or UT. He replied that while he couldn't speak for all OU fans, he had this to say: "Fuck Texas!" :lol:
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Bill in CT wrote:There is tons of music history in that room and you can feel it when you are there.

You really can. The place is magic.

Bill in CT wrote:At one point during the night, I asked 4sooner if OU fans (he's one as the board knows) have more antipathy toward OSU or UT. He replied that while he couldn't speak for all OU fans, he had this to say: "Fuck Texas!" :lol:

I am really not a sports guy at all, but I will say that our mutual hatred of Texas made the move from Oklahoma (my birth state and where I grew up, to the extent I did, for nineteen years) to Arkansaw (my home state) a lot easier. OSU isn't hated as badly as UT because they weren't as good as UT over the years. It's like UAF versus ASU or UALR here in Arkansaw.

P.S. Oh, and fuck the Plowboys too, while I'm at it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

SandyMO

Post by SandyMO »

Hey 4sooner. Sandy here!! Thank you for the nice shout out!! Lexie was a doll and it was great being between her and Bill in CT AND on the stage (no rail) for my 2nd DBT show (the first was the night before in Little Rock). And DiamondDave. Great photo's!! I am the Question Mark Girl!

4sooner

Post by 4sooner »

SandyMO wrote:Hey 4sooner. Sandy here!! Thank you for the nice shout out!! Lexie was a doll and it was great being between her and Bill in CT AND on the stage (no rail) for my 2nd DBT show (the first was the night before in Little Rock). And DiamondDave. Great photo's!! I am the Question Mark Girl!

Hey sandy. Great to see you here. I hope that Cains show is only the 2nd of many for you.

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

I agree Sandy! Great to have met you!