Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

ATO just put Don't Be In Love Around Me up on Soundcloud and it sounds great. What could possibly be wrong with that picture? Well...

https://soundcloud.com/ato_records/05-dont-be-in-love-without-me/s-T32DE
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

I read a lot about The Truckers punk rock roots but to my ears I don't really hear it that much in their music.
Until now.
The speeded up version of DBILAM is punky as Hell. And I like it.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

AAW re-release gets a nice little shout-out over on Aquarium Drunkard.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

For those that haven't had the pleasure of hearing the re-issue yet it's streaming over at Paste:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2 ... whupp.html
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:For those that haven't had the pleasure of hearing the re-issue yet it's streaming over at Paste:

I know I'm being a real piss-ant about this. Blame the proofreader in me. The player at Paste has the same error in it as the Soundcloud link: It calls "Don't Be In Love Around Me" "Don't Be In Love Without Me". Surely it isn't this way on the records--is it?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:For those that haven't had the pleasure of hearing the re-issue yet it's streaming over at Paste:

I know I'm being a real piss-ant about this. Blame the proofreader in me. The player at Paste has the same error in it as the Soundcloud link: It calls "Don't Be In Love Around Me" "Don't Be In Love Without Me". Surely it isn't this way on the records--is it?

Nope just checked, the record has it right. I hadn't noticed the error before.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

John A Arkansawyer

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:

Nope just checked, the record has it right. I hadn't noticed the error before.

I was looking on Amazon just before looking here, and they've got the title wrong, too. Looks like the virtual world has its shit fucked up. It has to happen to the best of us.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

That passing chord Cooley slides into right before the start of the second line of the last verse of WHD fucking kills me. Don't know enough theory to describe what he's doing there. Is he playing a minor chord against a major chord progression or vice versa or some kind of weird 9th or 7th chord or something like that? Anybody? The nerd in me needs to know.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Markalanbishop wrote:That passing chord Cooley slides into right before the start of the second line of the last verse of WHD fucking kills me. Don't know enough theory to describe what he's doing there. Is he playing a minor chord against a major chord progression or vice versa or some kind of weird 9th or 7th chord or something like that? Anybody? The nerd in me needs to know.

I think it's called "oh shit, wrong note, searching for the right one" ;)
There seems to be a fair amount of that on this album.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:That passing chord Cooley slides into right before the start of the second line of the last verse of WHD fucking kills me. Don't know enough theory to describe what he's doing there. Is he playing a minor chord against a major chord progression or vice versa or some kind of weird 9th or 7th chord or something like that? Anybody? The nerd in me needs to know.

I think it's called "oh shit, wrong note, searching for the right one" ;)
There seems to be a fair amount of that on this album.

Well, I was giving Cooley the benefit of the doubt since he knows a shit ton more about music than I do. I also noticed a couple "I mean" moments but that particular chord seemed to fit perfectly and while it was unexpected it didn't sound like a mistake. Maybe it's just a moment of jazz within the confines of a rock and roll song. Perhaps Tequila Cowboy can figure it out on his fancy Baxendale guitar. :)
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Hello? Isn't today finally RELEASE DAY? And nobody's got nuthin'? I haven't been to the shop yet today but I'm still planning/hoping to get there today and looking forward to it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

beantownbubba wrote:Hello? Isn't today finally RELEASE DAY? And nobody's got nuthin'? I haven't been to the shop yet today but I'm still planning/hoping to get there today and looking forward to it.

I'm sure I'll pick it up even though I own the original. I just wish there had been some bonus tracks added for further enticement. That said, I'd like to see the Adam's House Cat record see an official release next.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Hello? Isn't today finally RELEASE DAY? And nobody's got nuthin'? I haven't been to the shop yet today but I'm still planning/hoping to get there today and looking forward to it.

I'm sure I'll pick it up even though I own the original. I just wish there had been some bonus tracks added for further enticement. That said, I'd like to see the Adam's House Cat record see an official release next.

I second the Adam's House Cat album.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

They all downloaded it 4 weeks ago
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

RMD

Post by RMD »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I have a copy of the original but this remaster sounds tons better, plus it has great liner notes by PH. As for no extra tracks, I'm happy there are none. It would ruin a classic for me.

Kudzu Guillotine

RMD wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

I have a copy of the original but this remaster sounds tons better, plus it has great liner notes by PH. As for no extra tracks, I'm happy there are none. It would ruin a classic for me.

I'm ok with it as well but from the moment I first heard about the reissue I was kinda hoping there would be some extra stuff. One can never get enough live Truckers, especially from this era. I'm not sure what all's out there in bootleg land but I would wager a guess that the Rob Malone era is pretty under represented.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

I have it in my hot little hands!!! Part way through my first listen and there's no doubt it sounds worlds better than the digital copy someone was kind enough to pass along to me lo those many years ago. Not quite as good as an album of new material, but it will definitely make the time go faster.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

Thank God that by the time they got to Southern Rock Opera they could afford tuners. :?

Kudzu Guillotine

Been a while since I last took this one out for a spin so the remaster is sounding pretty fucking sweet to these ears. I love the new liners as well as the artwork and vintage photos but is it too much to ask to include a CD tray as part of the packaging these days? I know that CD's are pretty much an afterthought at this point but cardboard sleeves will scratch the shit out of a CD no matter how careful you are with 'em. This is a nice write up on the topic from the folks at Goldmine, if only the industry would pay attention.

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:

4 weeks? More like 6 years ago.
- DPM

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:
Zip City wrote:

Always ahead of the curve

gepman

Post by gepman »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Been a while since I last took this one out for a spin so the remaster is sounding pretty fucking sweet to these ears. I love the new liners as well as the artwork and vintage photos but is it too much to ask to include a CD tray as part of the packaging these days? I know that CD's are pretty much an afterthought at this point but cardboard sleeves will scratch the shit out of a CD no matter how careful you are with 'em. This is a nice write up on the topic from the folks at Goldmine, if only the industry would pay attention.

Agreed... It often seems as if the CD's are "stuck" inside of the sleeves, nearly impossible to get out.
I've always hated the digi-paks as with each handling, it gets wrinkled / scratched / damaged...
I especially hate the SRO sleeves, having to remove the CD on the inside of the fold is even harder...

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

Only made it through side 1 last night, but WOW!!! This sound is unreal. One of my already favorite live albums, just took a leap up the list.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Listened to the Paste stream this weekend, sounds great and I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on the vinyl order. This release seems to surpass all others in the number of f-word and its derivative uses, so it will probably get limited playing time in my kid-occupied household, but I need it for sentimental reasons.

I would love to hear some thoughts from the ladies as the how the "Mama Ran Off with the Drive-By Truckers" t-shirt fits. I am typically a unisex small/ladies medium but this thing apparently is sized up to 4XL so I thought I'd see what others think about the fit before I order it. I would DEFINITELY have bought one of these for my little boy if it was offered in kid's sizes.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

cortez the killer

Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:
Zip City wrote:They all downloaded it 4 weeks ago

There were plenty others far ahead of me. And, if I'm not mistaken, with the band's blessing.
- DPM

Kudzu Guillotine

gepman wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Been a while since I last took this one out for a spin so the remaster is sounding pretty fucking sweet to these ears. I love the new liners as well as the artwork and vintage photos but is it too much to ask to include a CD tray as part of the packaging these days? I know that CD's are pretty much an afterthought at this point but cardboard sleeves will scratch the shit out of a CD no matter how careful you are with 'em. This is a nice write up on the topic from the folks at Goldmine, if only the industry would pay attention.

Agreed... It often seems as if the CD's are "stuck" inside of the sleeves, nearly impossible to get out.
I've always hated the digi-paks as with each handling, it gets wrinkled / scratched / damaged...
I especially hate the SRO sleeves, having to remove the CD on the inside of the fold is even harder...

That article mentions some digipaks molding but I haven't had that problem. One thing they get into is some of the elaborate box sets that come out that resort to using cardboard sleeves. I steered clear of the recent Beatles reissues because of the piss poor packaging but I was also in no rush to own them because I picked up a limited edition box set years ago when Turtles/CD Wherehouse was going out of business. They're not remastered but they'll do for now. There's also a proliferation of inexpensively priced box set collections making the rounds these days that use cardboard sleeves. Not only do the sleeves discourage me from buying them but the lack of original artwork is a huge deterrent too. I've seen these from Little Feat, the Allmans, Alice Cooper, ZZ Top and tons of others.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

cortez the killer wrote:
Zip City wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:4 weeks? More like 6 years ago.

There were plenty others far ahead of me. And, if I'm not mistaken, with the band's blessing.

Absolutely, I didn't say otherwise

downhiller2010

Post by downhiller2010 »

Well my LP arrived from music direct damaged so no vinyl listening on my audiophile setup yet, but listening to some digital tracks and it sounds very well remastered

gepman

Post by gepman »

Still waiting...

I know its been mentioned before... but WHY CAN'T THEY SHIP THEM A FEW DAYS EARLIER SO THAT WE RECEIVE THEM ON THE DAY THE ALBUM COMES OUT????

I pre-order from a number of bands and do not run into this issue...

Frustrated...

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:One thing they get into is some of the elaborate box sets that come out that resort to using cardboard sleeves. I steered clear of the recent Beatles reissues because of the piss poor packaging but I was also in no rush to own them

The Beatles Mono boxset from a few years ago is one of the nicest packaged US releases I've ever seen. Very nice reproductions of the LP sleeves, UK flipback sleeves and all. Even includes repros of the inner sleeves. Of course the boxset was manufactured in Japan where they always go above and beyond when it comes to quality packaging.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.