Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

gepman wrote:Sept 9 -> Sept 16th, the Alabama Ass-Whupping CD/Tee-Shirt Combo Mini Tour...

Durham, NC > Logan Township, NJ > HARRISBURG, PA > CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD > GREENSBORO, NC > PHILADELPHIA, PA > New Freedom, PA

Everybody sing... "I've been everywhere man..."

Given the part I just bolded, I was humming "Philadelphia freedom".
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

gepman

Post by gepman »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
gepman wrote:Sept 9 -> Sept 16th, the Alabama Ass-Whupping CD/Tee-Shirt Combo Mini Tour...

Durham, NC > Logan Township, NJ > HARRISBURG, PA > CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD > GREENSBORO, NC > PHILADELPHIA, PA > New Freedom, PA

Everybody sing... "I've been everywhere man..."

Given the part I just bolded, I was humming "Philadelphia freedom".

The real ponderous part is how close it was when it was in Harrisburg... THIS, is NOT Logistics...! :?

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Received my vinyl copy yesterday and it's a fantastic sounding slab of vinyl. Flat, dead quiet, and well mastered. My only wish would have been a gatefold cover with live photos from the era on the inside. Other than that one small complaint this is a great reissue with the usual awesome liner notes from Mr. Hood.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Clams

Post by Clams »

"...there's a regular ass whuppin' where someone gets their ass whupped by the whuppee"

Actually, you would get your ass whupped by the whupper. The whuppee would be the person who's getting his ass whupped.

That always bothered me.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Clams wrote:
"...there's a regular ass whuppin' where someone gets their ass whupped by the whuppee"

Actually, you would get your ass whupped by the whupper. The whuppee would be the person who's getting his ass whupped.

That always bothered me.

There's the intended whupper and the actual whupper. They aren't always the same. Sometimes the difference is an example of justice in action. Or am I missing the context? (Gotta get this one in hand. Memphis come quick!)
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

LagoonField

Post by LagoonField »

I have not been following this thread the past couple of weeks, but I have had Alabama Ass Whuppin' in HEAVY rotation at home and in the car.....it is awesome.

The opening when Patterson says "Hey Ya'll we're The Drive By Truckers" rocks.

Why Henry Drinks is a good one, that I hadn't heard many times. So its new to me. The kinda slowed down mellowed out version of Lookout Mountain is cool too.

I'm glad that the tapes were found and dusted off. Hope everyone is off to a good start this Fall.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Wonder if there's even a slight chance for an "Alabama Ass Whuppin' Deluxe Edition Boxset" which would include full shows from each of the dates recorded for the album?

I'd buy it.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Wonder if there's even a slight chance for an "Alabama Ass Whuppin' Deluxe Edition Boxset" which would include full shows from each of the dates recorded for the album?

I'd buy it.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

brett27295 wrote:Wonder if there's even a slight chance for an "Alabama Ass Whuppin' Deluxe Edition Boxset" which would include full shows from each of the dates recorded for the album?

I'd buy it.

Pretty sure that Patterson has said that the source tapes were lost which is why there is no bonus material available.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
brett27295 wrote:Wonder if there's even a slight chance for an "Alabama Ass Whuppin' Deluxe Edition Boxset" which would include full shows from each of the dates recorded for the album?

I'd buy it.

Pretty sure that Patterson has said that the source tapes were lost which is why there is no bonus material available.

http://www.jambands.com/features/2013/09/20/patterson-hood-alabama-ass-whuppin-drive-by-truckers-upcoming-studio-album-and-thank-god-for-triple-a/#.Ujz9T4768UU

One of the best DBT/PH/MC interviews I've ever read. The dude gets it.

"We thought if it was the unmixed stuff, there might be bonus tracks, but those tapes are still gone – we really don’t know where they are. But when we heard how good this sounded, we said, “Shit – we don’t need bonus tracks: this thing is as long as it needs to be. Everything we need is right here – let’s just do it.”
Last edited by ramonz on Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Thanks for sharing, very good article. Best news I've heard in a while is the new album is about half/half Patterson & Cooley songs.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

rlipps wrote:Thanks for sharing, very good article. Best news I've heard in a while is the new album is about half/half Patterson & Cooley songs.

Yes! That smacked me in the head too.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Of course he gets it. Great job, Crusty.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Have had WHD stuck in my head for a few days so I just worked "mendacity" into something I'm writing for work. I'm wondering if I can footnote "grudge fucks" and get away with it. Hmmmm.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

So, on the RI cover, some of the letters are painted red while the rest are black.

D Y U E A S U

If you flip it over the first three letters spell out USA (!) but then EUYD? doesn't make any sense to me...

I'm convinced there is a hidden message here. Any theories?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

RolanK wrote:So, on the RI cover, some of the letters are painted red while the rest are black.

D Y U E A S U

If you flip it over the first three letters spell out USA (!) but then EUYD? doesn't make any sense to me...

I'm convinced there is a hidden message here. Any theories?

Paul is dead.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Good thing I have the vinyl. I modifyong my record player to play backwards.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

The coolest goddamn motherfucker on the silver screen.

http://www.ajc.com/gallery/classifieds/ ... ge#3938056

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

I had never heard the original version before and held off listening to my new copy until time properly permitted. That time was this past wkend, driving up to Buena Vista in the peak of the CO fall folliage- Just me, my one hitter and a few road sodas. What a great snap shot of the early Truckers! As Patterson mentioned in that interview, there was a whole lot of grungy, punk rock to what they were doing at that point. Lean, distorted and mean. What also struck me was that it really was Patterson's band at that point. How many tunes would Cooley sing per night? How many songs did he even have? Two? Panties in Your Purse and Love Like This? This album certainly would lead one to believe it was Patterson's band, but as long as I've been into the Truckers I've always seen it as the Patterson/Cooley show. It's a great look back at what used to be for the DBT.

Anyway, on a gorgeous fall afternoon driving through the mountains this was a kick ass soundtrack.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

The first 2 albums were out, so Cooley had a fair bit of material..

Uncle Frank was getting played for the first few times in '99, as was One of These Days,

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Not sure I've ever seen a setlist from the Alabama Ass Whuppin' era, what percentage of the tunes would Patterson sing?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

RolanK wrote:Good thing I have the vinyl. I modifyong my record player to play backwards.

:lol:

This made me start looking up songs with hidden messages and came up with this from Buzz Feed: Weird Al has poked fun at the back-masking controversy of the 80s in other songs as well, but this (I Remember Larry) is the only one that actually trolls the listener. Play his cryptic notes at 3:09 backwards and Al says “Wow, you must have an awful lot of free time on your hands.”

Why yes, Al, we do.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Gaetzi wrote:Not sure I've ever seen a setlist from the Alabama Ass Whuppin' era, what percentage of the tunes would Patterson sing?

A lot. Those cooley songs were pretty rare. Hard to say for sure as Archive/Setlist have more holes than substance back that far.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Markalanbishop wrote:
RolanK wrote:Good thing I have the vinyl. I modifyong my record player to play backwards.

:lol:

This made me start looking up songs with hidden messages and came up with this from Buzz Feed: Weird Al has poked fun at the back-masking controversy of the 80s in other songs as well, but this (I Remember Larry) is the only one that actually trolls the listener. Play his cryptic notes at 3:09 backwards and Al says “Wow, you must have an awful lot of free time on your hands.”

Why yes, Al, we do.

:lol: Weird Al... For some songs I remember his versions better than the original. "Like a surgeon, cutting for the very first time".
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tyler wrote:
Gaetzi wrote:Not sure I've ever seen a setlist from the Alabama Ass Whuppin' era, what percentage of the tunes would Patterson sing?

A lot. Those cooley songs were pretty rare. Hard to say for sure as Archive/Setlist have more holes than substance back that far.

He usually got 3-4 songs a set. Uncle Frank, One of These Days, Love Like This & Panties. Right after that "era" (99-00) he started getting more with his SRO cuts.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Smitty wrote:
Tyler wrote:

He usually got 3-4 songs a set. Uncle Frank, One of These Days, Love Like This & Panties. Right after that "era" (99-00) he started getting more with his SRO cuts.

I'm not sure when it began but Cooley also has a few unreleased originals that started entering the setlists at some point.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Assume you're reffereing to Three On The Tree (aka "The DUI Song" and/or Elvis Presley Stole My Car?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Tyler wrote:Assume you're reffereing to Three On The Tree (aka "The DUI Song" and/or Elvis Presley Stole My Car?

I believe there was that one as well as "Blue Law Blues". I'm not sure what else was out there or when they started getting dropped into the setlists, just that there were other songs of his the DBT's did live at one time or another in addition to what was on the albums.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tyler wrote:Assume you're reffereing to Three On The Tree (aka "The DUI Song" and/or Elvis Presley Stole My Car?

I believe there was that one as well as "Blue Law Blues". I'm not sure what else was out there or when they started getting dropped into the setlists, just that there were other songs of his the DBT's did live at one time or another in addition to what was on the albums.

When was Pulaski first played? 2001?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

When was Pulaski first played? 2001?

I think at Jason's first show - the acoustic one where he played "Superman". I think, could be wrong. '01. Next time I think was solo shows in '04/05, somewhere in there.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.