Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

brett27295

Re: Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:One thing they get into is some of the elaborate box sets that come out that resort to using cardboard sleeves. I steered clear of the recent Beatles reissues because of the piss poor packaging but I was also in no rush to own them

The Beatles Mono boxset from a few years ago is one of the nicest packaged US releases I've ever seen. Very nice reproductions of the LP sleeves, UK flipback sleeves and all. Even includes repros of the inner sleeves. Of course the boxset was manufactured in Japan where they always go above and beyond when it comes to quality packaging.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

brett27295 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:One thing they get into is some of the elaborate box sets that come out that resort to using cardboard sleeves. I steered clear of the recent Beatles reissues because of the piss poor packaging but I was also in no rush to own them

The Beatles Mono boxset from a few years ago is one of the nicest packaged US releases I've ever seen. Very nice reproductions of the LP sleeves, UK flipback sleeves and all. Even includes repros of the inner sleeves. Of course the boxset was manufactured in Japan where they always go above and beyond when it comes to quality packaging.

Did they have CD inlay trays? The ones I saw (from the stereo reissues) didn't.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Did they have CD inlay trays? The ones I saw (from the stereo reissues) didn't.

The stereo box was typical crap packaging. The mono box titles were packaged in almost exact replica's of the original UK sleeves. The early titles were flipbacks, even The White Albums was packaged in it's correct top-loading gatefold sleeve. The cds were in replica inner sleeves inside of the replica LP sleeves. Really just an outstanding packaging job. The mono box was manufactured in Japan which explains the awesome detail. The Japanese know how to package cds/Lps...top quality all around.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Did they have CD inlay trays? The ones I saw (from the stereo reissues) didn't.

The stereo box was typical crap packaging. The mono box titles were packaged in almost exact replica's of the original UK sleeves. The early titles were flipbacks, even The White Albums was packaged in it's correct top-loading gatefold sleeve. The cds were in replica inner sleeves inside of the replica LP sleeves. Really just an outstanding packaging job. The mono box was manufactured in Japan which explains the awesome detail. The Japanese know how to package cds/Lps...top quality all around.

Kudzu Guillotine

brett27295 wrote:

Understood but did they use CD inlay trays (example below)? I'm all for elaborate packaging but it defeats the purpose when manufacturers use cardboard sleeves as those damage the discs.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Understood but did they use CD inlay trays (example below)? I'm all for elaborate packaging but it defeats the purpose when manufacturers use cardboard sleeves as those damage the discs.

The cds are in replica inner sleeves inside of the replica LP sleeves. No plastic trays.

Kudzu Guillotine

brett27295 wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

The cds are in replica inner sleeves inside of the replica LP sleeves. No plastic trays.

Thanks. Like I said, the best packaging in the world is defeated when they opt for cardboard sleeves instead of inlay trays to house the CD's. A complete fucking waste. I haven't gone this route but lots of folks will buy extra CD jewel cases just so they can have a place to safely store their discs so they don't get scratched all to hell due to cardboard sleeves. I'd love to see the industry get the hint.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Honestly, f##$king digipacks are a big part of why I stopped buying CDs. Even before I got into vinyl.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tyler wrote:Honestly, f##$king digipacks are a big part of why I stopped buying CDs. Even before I got into vinyl.

I've never really had a problem with digipaks but I can definitely see where folks might have an issue with them as far as wear and tear. Though they're not exactly environmentally friendly I prefer jewel cases. If they break they're also easily replaceable.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Do you guys have opposable thumbs? I agree those cardboard sleeves aren't ideal but I don't see any of this stuff as a dealbreaker or reason not to buy cd's.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

Kudzu Guillotine

Gaetzi wrote:Do you guys have opposable thumbs? I agree those cardboard sleeves aren't ideal but I don't see any of this stuff as a dealbreaker or reason not to buy cd's.

It's definitely a deterrent but it's not as though I don't have any CD's in cardboard sleeves in my collection. I just hate to pay that much money (especially for box sets) only to find the CD's housed in cardboard sleeves. Perhaps even worse (as the Goldmine article points out) is when a single sleeve is all there is to the packaging. It may sound nitpicky but I stand by how easily the discs can be damaged. For a band like the Truckers that pride themselves on the art of packaging it seems as though they would be willing to go the extra mile. Then again, it may not be something they have a say in. All of their releases (save for Southern Rock Opera) included an inlay try up until they signed with ATO.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tee shirt and cd arrived today. If yours takes any longer, don't blame me.
If you don't run you rust

porkulator

Post by porkulator »

Got mine today also,consider it Clams fault I didn't get it yesterday. :D
Living in fear's just another way of dying before your time.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:For those that haven't had the pleasure of hearing the re-issue yet it's streaming over at Paste:

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/av/2 ... whupp.html

I know I'm being a real piss-ant about this. Blame the proofreader in me. The player at Paste has the same error in it as the Soundcloud link: It calls "Don't Be In Love Around Me" "Don't Be In Love Without Me". Surely it isn't this way on the records--is it?

Nope just checked, the record has it right. I hadn't noticed the error before.

Predictably, the truth is more complicated. I picked up the CD today, listened to it on the way home from work. While the packaging correctly identifies the song as "Don't be In Love Around Me", the track info that displays on the face of my CD player reads "Don't Be In Love Without Me".
Now it's dark.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

They fixed that, but there are a bunch of errors on the tour schedule.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:They fixed that, but there are a bunch of errors on the tour schedule.

The band obviously needs to hire a full time proofreader. Leave your application in the box at the side of the stage.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Clams

Post by Clams »

beantownbubba wrote:
one belt loop wrote:They fixed that, but there are a bunch of errors on the tour schedule.

The band obviously needs to hire a full time proofreader. Leave your application in the box at the side of the stage.

along with her bra and panties.
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

With Yom Kippur around the corner, all three of you should be ashamed of this exchange.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

cortez the killer wrote:
Clams wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

With Yom Kippur around the corner, all three of you should be ashamed of this exchange.

I blame Clams.

But I'll forgive him tomorrow night (that's religious humor for all you goyim out there).

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Flea wrote:Predictably, the truth is more complicated.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

gepman

Post by gepman »

Still waiting... Maybe Friday the 13th will end up being my lucky day...?

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

Vinyl was sent to me yesterday from the official store. Can't wait for it to get here.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

TruckerTomer wrote: Can't wait for it to get here.

You might want to consider moving closer to the source ;)

L'shana Tova.

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

as far as digipaks are concerned, i just buy a box of the paper CD sleeves and as soon as i get my CD, take it out of the cardboard sleeve and put it in the paper sleeve. sometimes, you can slip the paper sleeve inside the cardboard sleeve area, but usually not. you can just tuck it in there and put it back on the shelf. no big deal. otherwise, i think digipaks look pretty nice. better than plastic CD cases.

-justin

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Mine arrived today.... Damaged but it arrived. Fucking Musictoday ships out vinyl in a box that is the same dimensions as the album, offering ZERO protection from damage. This is the last time I order anything via presale. :evil:

I blame Clams.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

gepman

Post by gepman »

6 days past release day, and still waiting... And I only got the CD with the T-Shirt. Oh, and I only like in the most populated region of the country to boot...

Seriously, how hard is this?

Check out where my package has been so far... Note - I live in Central PA, <25 miles from Harrisburg, PA...

15 Sep 2013 11:24
Package processed by local post office
PHILADELPHIA, PA

15 Sep 2013 08:43
PHILADELPHIA, PA

13 Sep 2013 07:55
GREENSBORO, NC

13 Sep 2013 04:06
GREENSBORO, NC

12 Sep 2013 01:14
CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD

11 Sep 2013 22:24
Shipment Acceptance at PO
HARRISBURG, PA

11 Sep 2013 10:53
Shipment Info Received by Post Office
HARRISBURG, PA

Sep 11 2013
Package transferred to Post Office
HARRISBURG, PA

Sep 11 2013
Ready for post office entry
Logan Township, NJ

Sep 11 2013
Package received by dest MI facility
Logan Township, NJ

Sep 10 2013
Package transferred to dest MI facility
Durham, NC

Sep 10 2013
Package processed by Mail Innovations
Durham, NC

Sep 9 2013
Package received for processing
Durham, NC

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

gepman wrote:11 Sep 2013 10:53
Shipment Info Received by Post Office
HARRISBURG, PA

Sep 11 2013
Package transferred to Post Office
HARRISBURG, PA

Oh! So close yet so far.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

You are Very Bad People. You know who you are.

*panties?
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

one belt loop wrote:You are Very Bad People. You know who you are.

*panties?

Did they throw in a purse?
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

gepman

Post by gepman »

Sept 9 -> Sept 16th, the Alabama Ass-Whupping CD/Tee-Shirt Combo Mini Tour...

Durham, NC > Logan Township, NJ > HARRISBURG, PA > CAPITOL HEIGHTS, MD > GREENSBORO, NC > PHILADELPHIA, PA > New Freedom, PA

Everybody sing... "I've been everywhere man..."

Back to the suspect CD packaging discussion, I'm surprised the CD only had one crease through the spine...