Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Why Henry Drinks

Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Post by Why Henry Drinks »

anyone have this on mp3?

Jeremy

Re: Alabama Ass Whuppin'

Post by Jeremy »

I think Patterson told everyone not to pay for this on ebay and to download illegally or trade it until they come up with a legit copy. But i dont know if its cool to post a link to the album on the board since not official. If you are familiar with torrents and such, I can guide you to where its at.

olwiggum
Site Admin

Post by olwiggum »

If anyone has a sendspace link or something, I don't see a problem with linking it here especially if Patterson says it's cool. I've read that several times myself.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

If I knew how to do that, I would set it up.

Rusty Shackleford

Post by Rusty Shackleford »

If someone has a link, please send it my way too.

karmadog

Post by karmadog »

I could just send you a copy on CD...

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=DGB9T8A4

Live and Loud Way Down in Georgia, 1999
recorded LIVE in Athens and Atlanta fall 1999
(2000 - Second Heaven Records, rereleased 2002 - Terminus Records)

SONGS:

Why Henry Drinks, Lookout Mountain, The Living Bubba, Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus), Don't Be in Love Around Me, 18 Wheels of Love, The Avon Lady, Margo and Harold, Buttholeville, Steve McQueen, People Who Died, Love Like This

This one is out of print right now and probably will be for a while. Burn it if you can find it. I'm quite proud of this album, and will see to it that it gets reissued one of these days, but this just isn't the time.
- Patterson Hood

Attack! :twisted:

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

hope u don't mind, Duck, I used your megaupload link on my site :D
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

I looked up this old thread, so I could pose this question: To the people who have heard this or own it, what are your thoughts? For someone who prides himself in collecting most everything DBT, I am very curious.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

211poundsofpork wrote:I looked up this old thread, so I could pose this question: To the people who have heard this or own it, what are your thoughts? For someone who prides himself in collecting most everything DBT, I am very curious.

I would say it's essential listening and well worth tracking down. It captures the DBTs pretty much as they were during this era (late 90s?) which is when I first started to go see them live.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:I looked up this old thread, so I could pose this question: To the people who have heard this or own it, what are your thoughts? For someone who prides himself in collecting most everything DBT, I am very curious.

I would say it's essential listening and well worth tracking down. It captures the DBTs pretty much as they were during this era (late 90s?) which is when I first started to go see them live.

What were the Cooley contributions to the live set at this time? You had Panties in your Purse, Uncle Frank, Love Like This, One of These Days. Was there anything else, or was it pretty much a Patterson dominated set?

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

211poundsofpork wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

What were the Cooley contributions to the live set at this time? You had Panties in your Purse, Uncle Frank, Love Like This, One of These Days. Was there anything else, or was it pretty much a Patterson dominated set?

Unfortunately, its almost all Patterson. Only Cooley track is Love Like This.

AAW is a necessity. It has definitive cuts of Why Henry Drinks, Living Bubba, and Too Much Sex (Too Little Jesus). It also has the only high quality People Who Died.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

This version of "Why Henry Drinks" got me to go back to the Gangstabilly version and now I love them both.

UTHeathen

Post by UTHeathen »

AAW was the second DBT cd that I bought (after Decoration Day), so it has certainly colored my impressions from the very beginning. My favorite thing about this record is the banter between songs. Especially the part about what makes an "Alabama Ass Whuppin'" and Cooley's apology at the end that "I had another special treat for you, but I drove off with it on top of the car".

Clams

Post by Clams »

There are a bunch of tracks on AAW that are arguably better than the studio versions. Why Henry Drinks, Lookout Mtn, Living Bubba, 18 Wheels, Buttholeville and of course Steve McQueen. And The Avon Lady was one of the early soings that had me falling hard for DBT. Might be the funniest song ever (that's if you can even call it a song). Just about every single line makes me smile.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:Unfortunately, its almost all Patterson. Only Cooley track is Love Like This.

I think they were referring to the songs Cooley was playing during their sets in general back then as opposed to what songs of his were on Alabama Ass Whuppin'.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Clams wrote:There are a bunch of tracks on AAW that are arguably better than the studio versions. Why Henry Drinks, Lookout Mtn, Living Bubba, 18 Wheels, Buttholeville and of course Steve McQueen. And The Avon Lady was one of the early soings that had me falling hard for DBT. Might be the funniest song ever (that's if you can even call it a song). Just about every single line makes me smile.

I've found that I'm in the minority on this, but I have a definite preference for the studio Lookout Mountain.

Kudzu Guillotine

Iowan wrote:
Clams wrote:There are a bunch of tracks on AAW that are arguably better than the studio versions. Why Henry Drinks, Lookout Mtn, Living Bubba, 18 Wheels, Buttholeville and of course Steve McQueen. And The Avon Lady was one of the early soings that had me falling hard for DBT. Might be the funniest song ever (that's if you can even call it a song). Just about every single line makes me smile.

I've found that I'm in the minority on this, but I have a definite preference for the studio Lookout Mountain.

I like both of them but also prefer the studio version. Another plus for Alabama Ass Whuppin' is that it's the only place you can find "Don't Be In Love Around Me".

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Iowan wrote:

I like both of them but also prefer the studio version. Another plus for Alabama Ass Whuppin' is that it's the only place you can find "Don't Be In Love Around Me".

I always forget that song exists. Such a great song. Looks like they haven't played it since 2004.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

this year would be a perfect time to reissue considering there is no new DBT release. i have a feeling it will never be re-issued (on CD at least) the longer it gets put off, considering declining CD sales, etc.

-justin

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

notdaryet wrote:this year would be a perfect time to reissue considering there is no new DBT release. i have a feeling it will never be re-issued (on CD at least) the longer it gets put off, considering declining CD sales, etc.

-justin

Make it available as mp3 and vinyl then.

I agree that this would be a great time to reissue this and remaster Town Burned Down.

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

only way they are going to get my money is if they put it out on CD since i don't collect vinyl (unfortunately) and since i already have the mp3s.

-justin

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

UTHeathen wrote:AAW was the second DBT cd that I bought (after Decoration Day),

It was mine too - found it used at Best Buy for really cheap.
So happy to see it reissued; live and loud like the devil intended.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

This album was my first thought when I heard Neff had left.
Then UR says they have found the tapes.
ummmmmm.................dare I say conspiracy. ;)
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Rob Malone found the tapes, according to Patterson.

RMD

Post by RMD »

It's a must have. I also bought in a store no problem back in the day. Didn't realize it was hard to come by when I bought it. Since they located the tapes maybe it will be an expanded edition???? Let's hope.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Tyler wrote:Rob Malone found the tapes, according to Patterson.

Leverage for getting back in the fold?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:
Tyler wrote:Rob Malone found the tapes, according to Patterson.

Leverage for getting back in the fold?

betamax guillotine

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Patterson said it will be a proper re-issue, his words, saying they kind of threw it together last time. He also said Wes Freed is doing a new cover. They hope to have it out later this year. :)
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

dime in the gutter wrote:betamax guillotine

wouldn't that be the cats meow
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?