Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Duke Silver

Re: Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Post by Duke Silver »

Finally got around to picking this up. I've had the mp3s for a couple years, but the remaster sounds SO much better. Don't Be In Love Around Me is such a great song...one of those "#1 hit in an alternate universe" songs.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

harleywood

Post by harleywood »

Pre ordered this album along with new tshirt & Cooley's album back in mid August.

Im in Europe & its yet to arrive, anybody else having the same issue perhaps? I emailed musictoday and no reply, getting worried at this stage. Ordered a couple of things in the past from Truckers site & never had an issue before. Any ideas anyone?

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Just finished listening to AAW, believe it or not, for the first time over the weekend. I consider it an up and down record, mostly way up. So here goes. The separation of the instruments is a real treat. I can hear Patterson’s guitar in the left channel and Cooley’s guitar in the right channel very clearly with no third guitar in the mix. Not that there’s anything wrong with that.
I love Patterson’s voice all throughout this release. It’s like that third bowl of porridge. Juuuuuuuust right.
This is the definitive version of Why Henry Drinks IMHO.
The band definitely learned to play The Living Bubba much better as time went on. I always love the bridge in this song and something better is going on (chord changes emphasized more?) when played today.
The Avon Lady – a skipper for me.
The Margo and Harold is different and I like it.
Steve McQueen – LOVE the blues part in the middle and would be happy if I never heard any iteration of Gimme Three Steps as long as I live. Like I said, up and down. If I could find a way to edit out the Gimme Three Steps I would say this is their best version of Steve McQueen.
Love Like This – pure cowpunky goodness.

Really glad the Bird Dog found the tapes. If truth be told listening to it kinda made my weekend.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Clams

Post by Clams »

Rocky wrote:The Avon Lady – a skipper for me.

:shock: :shock:
Fortunately for you, I usually play it twice.
If you don't run you rust

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Rocky wrote:
Steve McQueen – LOVE the blues part in the middle and would be happy if I never heard any iteration of Gimme Three Steps as long as I live. Like I said, up and down. If I could find a way to edit out the Gimme Three Steps I would say this is their best version of Steve McQueen.

On the original cd, the liner notes says the GTS part was a tribute to another mans man. Not their best version but it is my favorite.
I like the fact that Patterson doesn't even attempt to sound like Ronnie which most Skynyrd fans find blasphemous.
Maybe that's why I like it :lol:
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Lots of Skynyrd fans of the diehard variety take the Truckers (and specifically Southern Rock Opera) as a personal affront.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

My one gripe with this is the way the mp3s are cut. The first couple notes of some songs are tacked on to the ends of other songs. Not a big deal when I'm listening to it in order, kind of annoying on shuffle.

* referring to the DL that came with the vinyl, dunno about the iTunes/Amazon/etc versions.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Duke Silver wrote:My one gripe with this is the way the mp3s are cut. The first couple notes of some songs are tacked on to the ends of other songs. Not a big deal when I'm listening to it in order, kind of annoying on shuffle.

* referring to the DL that came with the vinyl, dunno about the iTunes/Amazon/etc versions.

Yeah the cd is that way too.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Clams wrote:

It's a story. How many times are you going to listen to it over and over?

Ps I feel the same way about the 18 wheels story
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:
Clams wrote:

It's a story. How many times are you going to listen to it over and over?

Ps I feel the same way about the 18 wheels story

Rock and roll is full of story songs. Just because you know the lyrics and how the story ends doesn't mean it should get skipped. The Avon Lady is fucking hilarious in all its cheap 70's glory - right down to the bouffant and the magic 8 ball. Plus it's got that sleazy groove. Same with 18 Wheels -"solid muscle and gut!" Gets me every time.
If you don't run you rust

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

^^^^^^Bravo clams! I'm with you on this one.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Clams wrote:The Avon Lady is fucking hilarious in all its cheap 70's glory - right down to the bouffant and the magic 8 ball. Plus it's got that sleazy groove. Same with 18 Wheels -"solid muscle and gut!" Gets me every time.

Yeah, and I love how Margo & Harold follows too. They are completely different songs, yet connected in some way. I've always pictured Margo in her "70's glory," bouffant, maybe a long cig hanging from her mouth.....along with the Corvette and various 70's drugs-of-choice, of course.

Is there any evidence that these two were/are part of some long lost song suite? Am I missing/forgetting something obvious?

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

ramonz wrote:
Clams wrote:The Avon Lady is fucking hilarious in all its cheap 70's glory - right down to the bouffant and the magic 8 ball. Plus it's got that sleazy groove. Same with 18 Wheels -"solid muscle and gut!" Gets me every time.

Yeah, and I love how Margo & Harold follows too. They are completely different songs, yet connected in some way. I've always pictured Margo in her "70's glory," bouffant, maybe a long cig hanging from her mouth.....along with the Corvette and various 70's drugs-of-choice, of course.

Is there any evidence that these two were/are part of some long lost song suite? Am I missing something obvious?

I believe Patterson has said that this was the only time "The Avon Lady" was ever performed live though I have a friend that saw them perform it at Humble Pie in Raleigh prior to this.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:^^^^^^Bravo clams! I'm with you on this one.

x2, but then I've never been much of a skipper.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Swamp wrote:

No 3 hour tours for you swamp, eh?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

beantownbubba wrote:
Swamp wrote:

No 3 hour tours for you swamp, eh?

And I almost added that Gilligan didn't think I was much of a skipper either.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Since I picked up the CD in Memphis Saturday, I've been listening to this a lot. I think maybe I was wrong that Don't Be In Love Around Me might have come back to address not-so-current-anymore band changes. More likely it, and Why Henry Drinks, came back because they'd been listening to this as part of the remastering process. And maybe also because this song is as punk as fuck. Only Careless seems to have that particular feel other than spiritually (though maybe I need to listen to the first two more to be sure).

I was also taken by their cover of that great old Skynyrd song, Gimme A Perfect Fourth.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:Since I picked up the CD in Memphis Saturday, I've been listening to this a lot. I think maybe I was wrong that Don't Be In Love Around Me might have come back to address not-so-current-anymore band changes. More likely it, and Why Henry Drinks, came back because they'd been listening to this as part of the remastering process. And maybe also because this song is as punk as fuck. Only Careless seems to have that particular feel other than spiritually (though maybe I need to listen to the first two more to be sure).

I was also taken by their cover of that great old Skynyrd song, Gimme A Perfect Fourth.

Don't you mean a Fifth?

This CD never leaves my car. I've been listening to it pretty much nonstop since the Ga. Theatre weekend.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
Markalanbishop wrote:I was also taken by their cover of that great old Skynyrd song, Gimme A Perfect Fourth.

Don't you mean a Fifth?

I didn't, but that's still really funny.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Markalanbishop wrote:I was also taken by their cover of that great old Skynyrd song, Gimme A Perfect Fourth.

Don't you mean a Fifth?

I didn't, but that's still really funny.

In light of the David Lowery thread ;) pretty sure I got that "fifth" joke idea from Skip Caray who about every other Braves game would announce as they came back from commercial, "Well we've come to the bottom of another fifth."

Oh, and I still love AAW, just so Hawaii 5-0 don't get me.

oilpiers

Post by oilpiers »

May get a written Ass Whippen, but here is my 6 word review of the CD I purchased. "Too much talk, Not enough Cooley!" That does not mean I don't like it, but each time I listen to it that is what crosses my mind. The band sure sounds raw and powerful though.

Crustyharp

Post by Crustyharp »

All kinds of English Oceans projects coming up. In the meantime, doing some cleanup - some AAW from the current issue of Hittin The Note mag (#79):

Link to the piece: http://brian-robbins.com/drive-by-truckers-alabama-ass-whuppin/
Let's play now ... we can tune up later.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

It's impossible to play this album too loudly. Wish my stereo went to 11!

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Still love turnin' up "Lookout Mountain" on this one. Love the sound. They did a good job on this one.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

My AAW compact disc disappeared several months ago and I just assumed I somehow lost it. Yesterday I discovered it in one of my daughters' cars. Couldn't get mad, because I convinced 2 of the 3 to drink the Kool Aid (my twins--last year's HeAthens Homecoming finally did the trick). Speaking of which, if it's held the same weekend next year----183!!! "My first wife told me, 'You need to get a life.'"

Flea

Post by Flea »

Just saw a used copy of the original AAW cd at a store in VA Beach today for less than $10. If anyone wants it, I'll check back next week and pick it up if it's still there.
Now it's dark.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Flea wrote:Just saw a used copy of the original AAW cd at a store in VA Beach today for less than $10. If anyone wants it, I'll check back next week and pick it up if it's still there.

Ha - I guess it was around '06 that I bought my original copy (used) of AAW at some CD store at the mall in Va Beach.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Quick story, I'm a chronic thrift store shopper, just how I was brought up.
I have a buddy at one of my local stores, big Warriors fan as well as a lot of similar musical likes.
Been telling him about the DBT for a number of years, anyway...
Last week I go by his store, and a he goes in the back to get me something and hands me an original copy of AAW.
In mint condition without a scratch. I've had a burnt copy for years and bought the remastered, but to get the original artwork and everything was just too good.
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

Markalanbishop wrote:It's impossible to play this album too loudly. Wish my stereo went to 11!
mine does! wish it went to 12.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

There are plenty of days where AAW is my favorite DBT album. Absolutely definitive version of Why Henry Drinks is worth the price of admission alone. In a perfect world they'd release a boxset of all the complete shows that make up AAW.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.