Alabama Ass Whuppin': Re-Release 9/10/2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

ScottyC

Re: Alabama Ass Whuppin'

Post by ScottyC »

Duke Silver wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
I like both of them but also prefer the studio version. Another plus for Alabama Ass Whuppin' is that it's the only place you can find "Don't Be In Love Around Me".

I always forget that song exists. Such a great song. Looks like they haven't played it since 2004.

Without going back and checking I thought they just played this at NYE a few days ago.

Also don't forget there is the Gimme Three Steps on this as well.

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

the news about a proper re-issue is great!

when/where did Hood say this? i knew there was that message on the website about it being reissued eventually, but i was thinking that was just something they said a couple of years ago and that wouldn't actually happen. so this, proper reissue, Wes Freed cover, etc. is great news!

-justin

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

shit, i just read the reissue would be on vinyl-only! i hope that's not the case!

-justin

gepman

Post by gepman »

notdaryet wrote:the news about a proper re-issue is great!

when/where did Hood say this? i knew there was that message on the website about it being reissued eventually, but i was thinking that was just something they said a couple of years ago and that wouldn't actually happen. so this, proper reissue, Wes Freed cover, etc. is great news!

-justin

During night #3 of the NYE Run (before or after Margo and Harold I believe)... Said that Rob Malone had found and given him all the Master Tapes.
He said they'd do the re-issue up right with Wes Freed artwork. Cd and vinyl (if my memory is correct).
Said they'd get it out as soon as possible to "tide us over" til the new proper record comes out...

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:I looked up this old thread, so I could pose this question: To the people who have heard this or own it, what are your thoughts? For someone who prides himself in collecting most everything DBT, I am very curious.

I would say it's essential listening and well worth tracking down. It captures the DBTs pretty much as they were during this era (late 90s?) which is when I first started to go see them live.

Totally agree. It's unfiltered guts and gristle and listening to it (as I type) feels like a trip back home.
Not forever, just for now.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

You can feel the RAWK Show coming thru the speakers on AAW.
the "we had something special for you all, but I drove off with it of the roof of the car"
Is probably the best Cooley line ever.
Can't wait to own it on Vinyl.
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Anyone have any ideas of what you'd like to see as far as a new Wes Freed cover? While I'm quite excited about it myself I think it would be cool if he did a painting or re-imagining of the original since the trucker Jesus that adorns the cover is so iconic, right up there with the tapestry of Steve McQueen that they use to use as a backdrop onstage.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Anyone have any ideas of what you'd like to see as far as a new Wes Freed cover? While I'm quite excited about it myself I think it would be cool if he did a painting or re-imagining of the original since the trucker Jesus that adorns the cover is so iconic, right up there with the tapestry of Steve McQueen that they use to use as a backdrop onstage.

I'd love for him to reimagine PD and GB as well
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Kudzu Guillotine

From Patterson's latest Word From the Hood:

We have a little bit of recording planned and are finishing up our preparations for the official reissue of our long 'out of print' live album from 2000, ALABAMA ASS WHUPPIN'. Recorded in various Georgia clubs during the Pizza Deliverance Tour of 1999, it is probably the most punkrock thing we ever did and I've really enjoyed hearing again for the first time in way over a decade. We have restored the original 1/2" analogue mixes of the album and will be having it remastered with some nice new art work. Details and dates forthcoming.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Confession...I am not nor have I ever been a rock star.

However...I have often wanted to kick off a meeting at work by coming in with my eyes bloodshot, my shrirt untucked, and a scowl on my lip. I'd sit down in my chair and say, "I had a special treat for y'all but I drove off with it on top of the car!"

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Vinyl!! So excited for this.

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

jimmyjack wrote:Vinyl!! So excited for this.

Sounds Yummy!!!

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

looks like this has been moved from 9/3 to 9/10. i wish they would announce it soon! i want to see the new artwork and i'm wondering about an extra tracks!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Geez-- Who do you gotta blow to get a record pressed these days? Hoping to see some copies at the Georgia Theater!!
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Jonicont wrote:Image

:D
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Nice. Any word on a release date?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

9/3
Always go to the show

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Jonicont wrote:9/3

Crossing my fingers for advance copies at the Georgia theater shows.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Kudzu Guillotine

Thank you much. Do you know if there are going to be any bonus tracks? If so, do you know what they are?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Thank you much. Do you know if there are going to be any bonus tracks? If so, do you know what they are?

No bonuses AFAIK
Always go to the show

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

With the budget they had at that point they probably didn't have anything beyond the selections mixed or mastered.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Curious to know who has the original. I bought a cd copy at the same time I ordered SRO.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:Curious to know who has the original. I bought a cd copy at the same time I ordered SRO.

I only have a digital copy. Only DBT I don't have a physical copy of and only one of two (Live in Austin is the other) that I don't have on vinyl. Glad that's about to be fixed.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Kudzu Guillotine

Tyler wrote:With the budget they had at that point they probably didn't have anything beyond the selections mixed or mastered.

Perhaps but it's been my experience over the years that there's always something left in the vaults. At any rate, I'm just glad it's going to be available again.

Flea wrote:Curious to know who has the original. I bought a cd copy at the same time I ordered SRO.

If memory serves, I think it may have been released by two different labels back then. I ordered mine from SecondHeaven.com.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

So, track listing is probably something like...

A1. Why Henry Drinks [4:59]
A2. Lookout Mountain [5:22]
A3. The Living Bubba [6:52]

Side Total: 17:13

B1. Too Much Sex [3:19]
B2. Don't Be In Love Around Me [2:40]
B3. 18 Wheels of Love [7:32]
B4. The Avon Lady [4:05]

Side Total: 17:36

C1. Margo and Herald [8:01]
C2. Buttholeville [5:50]

Side Total: 13:51

D1. Steve McQueen [9:19]
D2. People Who Died [5:06]
D3. Love Like This [7:13]

Side Total: 21:38

The D side is longer than I'd like, but without swapping out the running order that's probably the best you could do. If you WERE gonna tinker with the running order, I'd move People Who Died to after Buttholeville, so that would give a 18:57 side C and 16:32 side D, which would probably allow for slightly better sound over the entire disc. That said, being a live recording of (mostly) loud rock'n'roll, there isn't really a ton of dynamic range so a 21 minute side should sound fine, maybe be a bid quiet... usual ideal is 16-17 minutes per side, although some albums go WAY past that - both sides of AC/DC's classic "If You Want Blood" are around 24 minutes and it sounds pretty decent, and sonically isn't far from AAW.

In any case, I think this sort of rules out bonus material, since there really just isn't space in the natural sequencing. I imagine they probably want to keep it to 2 lps.

While it's a bit late, the perfect bonus for this set would have been a repress of the original 9 Bullets 7"....those mixes are pretty rare.
Last edited by Tyler on Tue Aug 06, 2013 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Tyler wrote:With the budget they had at that point they probably didn't have anything beyond the selections mixed or mastered.

Perhaps but it's been my experience over the years that there's always something left in the vaults. At any rate, I'm just glad it's going to be available again.

If memory serves, I think it may have been released by two different labels back then. I ordered mine from SecondHeaven.com.

Not at home to check, but I'm reasonably certain mine is on the Second Heaven label as well.
Now it's dark.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

According to discogs, the original release was Second Heaven (SHC-0008) in 2000, and the 2nd release was on Terminus (TR-0206) in 2002.

Kudzu Guillotine

Tyler wrote:So, track listing is probably something like...

A1. Why Henry Drinks [4:59]
A2. Lookout Mountain [5:22]
A3. The Living Bubba [6:52]

Side Total: 17:13

B1. Too Much Sex [3:19]
B2. Don't Be In Love Around Me [2:40]
B3. 18 Wheels of Love [7:32]
B4. The Avon Lady [4:05]

Side Total: 17:36

C1. Margo and Herald [8:01]
C2. Buttholeville [5:50]

Side Total: 13:51

D1. Steve McQueen [9:19]
D2. People Who Died [5:06]
D3. Love Like This [7:13]

Side Total: 21:38

The D side is longer than I'd like, but without swapping out the running order that's probably the best you could do. If you WERE gonna tinker with the running order, I'd move People Who Died to after Buttholeville, so that would give a 18:57 side C and 16:32 side D, which would probably allow for slightly better sound over the entire disc. That said, being a live recording of (mostly) loud rock'n'roll, there isn't really a ton of dynamic range so a 21 minute side should sound fine, maybe be a bid quiet... usual ideal is 16-17 minutes per side, although some albums go WAY past that - both sides of AC/DC's classic "If You Want Blood" are around 24 minutes and it sounds pretty decent, and sonically isn't far from AAW.

In any case, I think this sort of rules out bonus material, since there really just isn't space in the natural sequencing. I imagine they probably want to keep it to 2 lps.

While it's a bit late, the perfect bonus for this set would have been a repress of the original 9 Bullets 7"....those mixes are pretty rare.

From what I've seen, most vinyl counterparts to expanded reissues on CD don't include what's available on the bonus CD. While I'm sure there may be some demand for the "Nine Bullets" single, I'd rather hear more live cuts from this era.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

My wife bought me an original off Ebay several years ago, back when there was that window (right after Decoration Day?) when PD and GB were out of print, and going for more on Ebay than AAW.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.