Rock Show Columbia, MO Jan.22

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

UncleFrank1990

Rock Show Columbia, MO Jan.22

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Anyone going to make it? I go to school here (and live here otherwise), so I'm all over this one.

hendooman

Re: Rock Show Columbia, MO Jan.22

Post by hendooman »

Coming from KC for sure. Hopefully Iowan will come down.

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Cool. Did you guys go to their show at the Missouri theater here in 2011? Good show, but I'm glad they're playing the Blue Note this time. It's a much better set-up for a rock show. Really, that was the first show I'd been to where there were seats (not counting the big arena shows that I've been too) and it was just awkward. Not that I'm a slam dancer, but I didn't feel I could move as freely as I would've liked to.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

UncleFrank1990 wrote:Cool. Did you guys go to their show at the Missouri theater here in 2011? Good show, but I'm glad they're playing the Blue Note this time. It's a much better set-up for a rock show. Really, that was the first show I'd been to where there were seats (not counting the big arena shows that I've been too) and it was just awkward. Not that I'm a slam dancer, but I didn't feel I could move as freely as I would've liked to.

I agree, it was a strange set up, great sound but definitely a weird vibe in that theater. Glad it is at the blue note for sure. One because I have never been there but heard great things about it....Tuesday night coming from KC is going to be tough but I think I can make it work.

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

The Blue Note's great. Very ideal spot to see DBT. Saw my first DBT show there in 2010, right around the time I fell in love with the band, and the band absolutely threw fire from the stage that night. Right in the middle of their "Big To Do" tour, so the whole thing was coming together nicely.

Plus the Blue Note has the great "Beer Is Good For You" t-shirts. I've worn through several of them....

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

just bought tix to this show. Ready for a DBT RAWK SHOW!

Miallmon

Post by Miallmon »

Will be coming in from KC for my third columbia show. The theater show was good but just doesnt compare to The Blue Note. That 2010 show killed!

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Preachin' to the choir Miallmon. I've been to the previous two COMO shows, and the 2010 Blue Note one kicked the most ass. Great setlist, if I remember right, and the Blue Note just had a better vibe for a rock show. The only thing I'm lookin' forward to next year is when I catch the Who in Louisville in February.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm in for this show. This will be my first visit to Columbia.

How is this place for a pregame meal?

http://www.flatbranch.com/home.asp
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Welp, Bill in CT (great name BTW, we Bills need to stick together) Flatbranch is pretty good, speaking as more or less Columbia native, but you could do better.

There's Broadway Brewery (on, where else) Broadway, that's real close to the Blue Note. Personally, I think they're better than Flatbranch. Better food, better beer, a little pricey-er, but worth it for the better quality. Plus, it's closer than Flatbranch. On Tuesdays they do a deep-dish pizza night that's pretty spectacular. They make a mean-ass burger too. I think the best way to put it is, "tourists" (or whatever passes for tourists in Mid-Mo) go to Flatbranch. The locals go to Broadway Brewery.

If you like more exotic fare, we've got a Vietnamese place also on Broadway, that I've heard good things about. There's Bambino's, aka, The Bam, that's a pretty good Italian joint, though they can be inconsistent. There's also SubZone, which is new in town. They've got big sandwiches for fairly cheap, and some of the staff's pretty easy on the eyes. Next door to The Blue Note is Osama's Coffee Zone, which has some pretty interesting Mediterranean dishes, plus pretty much any coffee you'd want, and then some. I met Craig Finn in there before I saw The Hold Steady play the Note two-ish years ago.

If you're feelin' like Mexican before a rock show, there's El Rancho, which is also on Broadway, next to Slacker's, which is a music/movie store. Best Mexican in town, cheap, and fast. La Siesta is right next door to The Note, it's pretty good, but not El Rancho good. There's tons of places to eat downtown, but for my money, I'd hit either Broadway Brewery, or El Rancho.

As getting some pre-gaming in, sadly, I probably can't do that this time. :( That's my first day back at Mizzou, and I've got class until late. But, by all means, enjoy the town! I love it here.

Most importantly, enjoy the damn rock show!

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

I have decided to show my love and support...one more time...specially after this past weekend in Athens...it is on my home ...and a last show for me unless they come to the midwest in the fall...heard Blue Note is a cool venue...can't wait to see everyone tomorrow night!!!
Put that drinking jacket on and enjoy a little fun...

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

Bill in CT wrote:I'm in for this show. This will be my first visit to Columbia.

I'm in...what time?!?!! :D

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

RockStar wrote:
Bill in CT wrote:I'm in for this show. This will be my first visit to Columbia.

I'm in...what time?!?!! :D

What about Broadway Brewery instead? It is like a half block away from the Blue Note and a great selection of Brews and food. Wouldn't have to worry about moving car or anything like that.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Broadway Brewery is fine with me. Is it busy there before a show at the Blue Note? I was thinking I might eat dinner there from 5:30-6:30 and then get in line. I want to get the rail tonight as I failed to do so at any of the Athens shows.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

Bill in CT wrote:Broadway Brewery is fine with me. Is it busy there before a show at the Blue Note? I was thinking I might eat dinner there from 5:30-6:30 and then get in line. I want to get the rail tonight as I failed to do so at any of the Athens shows.

I am getting into the area so early because I am with you Bill... getting on that rail tonight...missed being on it in Athens too...

Miallmon

Post by Miallmon »

See you guys at the brewery sixish.

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

I wont make Columbia that early. So I will swing by the brewery and see if anyone is still around. I will be the tall guy in the Truckers hat!

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

The crew rocked Columbia last night. Not a lot was said by the band, but they came out rocking and went at it all night. Highlight for me was Goode Fields Road, never heard it live before, it was a real treat, Margo & Harold as well. Before the show started they had placed the poster card of Craig's picture on Jay's amp. They dimmed the lights and played what I was told was Blood Brothers by Bruce, can someone verify that for me? I don't know the song or its meaning but I understand it is about a fallen band member.

Bill it was nice meeting you before the show. I have the back of your head well documented in pictures as well! Bill was on the rail and I was about two rows behind him, I swear his head/hat is in every picture!

Drive-By Truckers
1-22-2013
Blue Note Theater
Columbia, MO

Uncle frank
PPOTM
Self destructive zone
Daddy learned to fly
Get downtown
Margo and Harold
Devil
Tornadoes
Ghost to most
Sinkhole
Gravity
Goode fields road
Women Without Whiskey
Dead drunk naked
Guitar man upstairs
Used to be a cop
3dd
Hell no I ain't happy
E.
Marry Me
Steve McQueen
Zip city
Let there be rock
Shut up and get your ass on the plane

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

Hey Bill, you see your head in every pic!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

hendooman wrote:The crew rocked Columbia last night. Not a lot was said by the band, but they came out rocking and went at it all night. Highlight for me was Goode Fields Road, never heard it live before, it was a real treat, Margo & Harold as well. Before the show started they had placed the poster card of Craig's picture on Jay's amp. They dimmed the lights and played what I was told was Blood Brothers by Bruce, can someone verify that for me? I don't know the song or its meaning but I understand it is about a fallen band member.

Bill it was nice meeting you before the show. I have the back of your head well documented in pictures as well! Bill was on the rail and I was about two rows behind him, I swear his head/hat is in every picture!

Drive-By Truckers
1-22-2013
Blue Note Theater
Columbia, MO

Uncle frank
PPOTM
Self destructive zone
Daddy learned to fly
Get downtown
Margo and Harold
Devil
Tornadoes
Ghost to most
Sinkhole
Gravity
Goode fields road
Women Without Whiskey
Dead drunk naked
Guitar man upstairs
Used to be a cop
3dd
Hell no I ain't happy
E.
Marry Me
Steve McQueen
Zip city
Let there be rock
Shut up and get your ass on the plane

That is a big boy setlist. Thanks for sharing. Weak sauce on me for missing a Midwest rock show.

heartbreaker1976

Post by heartbreaker1976 »

I think this is the song they played at the beginning for Craig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBBe1ubzaU

Great show....Houndmouth were really good too.

Clams

Post by Clams »

hendooman wrote:Hey Bill, you see your head in every pic!

I'd recognize that shape anywhere. Definitely Bill in CT's noggin.
If you don't run you rust

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Glad to see they brought Craig's guitar out with them too. Right next to his picture. You can tell it's his because if you look closely, the guitar strings are as wild as his hair. ;)
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

hendooman

Post by hendooman »

CooleyGirl wrote:Glad to see they brought Craig's guitar out with them too. Right next to his picture. You can tell it's his because if you look closely, the guitar strings are as wild as his hair. ;)

Your right, I didnt pick up on that...but I did pick up on it didnt move all night.

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Of the three times I've caught the band, this was the best show. Just kicked ass all night. Finally got to hear "Gravity's Gone," and "Tornadoes" before it...wow. Two of perhaps the most meaningful songs to me as a Truckers fan personally....

Plus, the band was shit-hot tonight. I was RIGHT in front of Cooley, and he tore it up, Matt Patton was locked in real well with Easy-B, and Jay was heroic pulling double duty, and killing on both. Really liked his keyboard part on Ghost To Most. If he keeps that up, I won't miss the pedal steel on that song too bad. Plus, Patterson played some nice leads too, but he was really bringing in on the rhythm guitar, I thought.

A rock show in the midst of a pretty successful week for me. Makes the good even better.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Wonderful pictures!
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

Great photos....thanks for sharing them!
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

DiamondDave

Post by DiamondDave »

heartbreaker1976 wrote:I think this is the song they played at the beginning for Craig:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDBBe1ubzaU

Great show....Houndmouth were really good too.

Terry's Song is a hidden track on Springsteen's "Magic"

They built the Titanic to be one of a kind,
but many ships have ruled the seas
They built the Eiffel tower to stand alone,
but they could build another, if they pleased
The Taj Mahal, the pyramids of Egypt are unique, I suppose,
but when the built you brother, they broke the mold

The world is filled with many wonders
under the passing sun
But sometimes something comes along
and you know, it's for sure the only one
The Mona Lisa, the David, the Sistine Chapel,
Jesus, Mary and Joe
and when they built you brother, they broke the mold

When they built you brother
they turned this dust to gold
When they built you brother
they broke the mold

They say you can't take it with you
but I think that they're wrong
All I know's I woke up this morning
and something big was gone
Gone in to that dark ether
Where you're still young n' hard and cold
Just like when they built you brother
and broke the mold

Now your death is upon us
And we'll return your ashes to the Earth
And I know you'll take comfort in knowin'
You've been roundly blessed and cursed
But love is a power
Greater than death
Just like the songs and stories told
And when she built you brother
She broke the mold

A bad attitude is a power stronger than death
Alive n' burnin' or stone cold
And when they built you brother ...
"If I'm not smiling, I'm just thinking...."

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

hendooman wrote:Hey Bill, you see your head in every pic!

Video, too.

Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

I truly had the best time at this show - I thought they were on fire and I was right in front of Hood - a night I will never forget expecially the way he handed me his guitar pick, watching them that close was truly amazing experience for me as I have not been that close to them in awhile...I am also looking for the setlist - I can't remember everything we heard...and the photos above - sweetness - I am in a few, some with and without my camera...