Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Erdlivz

Re: Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Post by Erdlivz »

150 miles to go. It's 5 fricking degrees out and the post homecoming pneumonia is kicking in. Ugh. It must be the sanitary conditions of the Dazed...

JAYFROMBAMA

Post by JAYFROMBAMA »

I meant to say Friday night, not Saturday.
Friday's perfect gesture was Patterson raising the bottle to the sky to start the show.
Saturday's perfect gesture was Paul raising the picture of Craig to the crowd and kissing it, to end the show.
Class acts, to honor a class guy!

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

ilockyer wrote:I decided before leaving that, rather than try and remember notes for a good review of each show, I was just going to do a brief travel blog, well, here it is. Feel free to read/ignore at will!

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/i ... /tpod.html

Already looking forward to next year!

Nice
Always go to the show

joelle

Post by joelle »

once, i went to athens.
i battled through a fever and a wicked, wicked strep throat.
i met some very nice folks.
saw 2 incredibly different rock and roll shows. one powerfully sad. one powerfully powerful.
felt the pain of a lot of people mourning someone dear to them.
slept in a real nice king sized bed.
napped a lot.
ate some amazing BBQ.
went to wuxtry records and shopped some brilliant vinyl.
bought a few books.
ate at a waffle house.
walked around , in january and it was 60 degrees.
took a few photos.
saw 2 people get married and was very happy for them beginning a life together.
had a real fine time.
i could see myself doing it again some time.
if you read this board, and have ever been on the fence,
i recommend going.

you are here: 40 watt

a little jesus

call shonna, i found him!

a prince among men

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Anybody know if that was the Truckers bus I passed by broken down just outside of Paducah KY? Looked familiar. Also made me think about how hard it had to be to step on that bus one man short.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

I've got to say: I've been to an awful lot of Truckers shows and a whole bunch of them have been during the Homecoming run. I only made it to Saturday night this year and I expected a strange vibe. The band clearly brought their A game, but I was disappointed in the majority of the crowd. The room never felt to me like it came together as so frequently happens at a show. During Patterson's short talk about Craig, some younger guys next to me just kept semi-yelling "Rise Up!" We get it, the Falcons are playing. That's tomorrow and this is now.

That's just one small example, but the show didn't feel "right" to me. I left feeling sad and disappointed. That feeling had nothing to do with the band and everything to do with the crowd.
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Ty Webb wrote:I've got to say: I've been to an awful lot of Truckers shows and a whole bunch of them have been during the Homecoming run. I only made it to Saturday night this year and I expected a strange vibe. The band clearly brought their A game, but I was disappointed in the majority of the crowd. The room never felt to me like it came together as so frequently happens at a show. During Patterson's short talk about Craig, some younger guys next to me just kept semi-yelling "Rise Up!" We get it, the Falcons are playing. That's tomorrow and this is now.

That's just one small example, but the show didn't feel "right" to me. I left feeling sad and disappointed. That feeling had nothing to do with the band and everything to do with the crowd.

Yeah those guys who wouldn't shut up when PH was talking were real annoying. Even if they didn't notice that Patterson was talking about serious stuff one would think they would have noticed that nobody else was even talking, much less yelling. Sigh. There's always one (or several) in every crowd. Sorry you felt that way about the overall mood of the crowd because I felt it quite differently (not saying I'm right just that I'm sorry you didn't share what i felt).
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Ty Webb wrote:I've got to say: I've been to an awful lot of Truckers shows and a whole bunch of them have been during the Homecoming run. I only made it to Saturday night this year and I expected a strange vibe. The band clearly brought their A game, but I was disappointed in the majority of the crowd. The room never felt to me like it came together as so frequently happens at a show. During Patterson's short talk about Craig, some younger guys next to me just kept semi-yelling "Rise Up!" We get it, the Falcons are playing. That's tomorrow and this is now.

Man I wasn't there for Saturday night but sounds to me like you need to reposition yourself. I know there were at least 50-70 hard core motherfuckers near the front paying attention. :D
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Ha d an absolute great time at the Homecoming. Not much else to say about the shows that hasn't been said. this time around I brought my wife, 2 brothers, sister inlaw, and mother in law(who happens to be married to my brother)...I know there is a Cooley song in there somewhere. Athen's is one of our favorite places, great food, drinks and people. Always good to see the Swamps... we live in the same town, but have to drive 6 hours to see each other.....Made it to the Trestle to Nowhere which for someone going to college in the 80's is quite the iconic spot......I texted the picture to all my old college friends asking them if they knew where I was...none knew it was athens, but they all knew it was from the back of the Murmur record. Made it out to Baxendale Guitars. If you ever get the chance you must go. Scott is absolutely the best. He was installing a pick up and told us to wander around anywhere we would like. I wondered into the guitar showroom and picked up a Kay refurb that Scott does.....thing sounded amazing. I played it for a bit, went back to his shop and inquired about it...not for sale...was being shipped to Luther of the North Mississippi Allstars this week. How cool is that!!!! after he got done with the pick up he toured us around the shop and then upstairs to the studio...even cut us a copy of his new album coming out.....gotta say I listened to it on the way home and loved it! he worte the name of it on the cd, but it is in my car and I cant remember the name of it, but I recommend it. Had a blast at Nuci's and finally had the high bid on some prints. got to speak with Patterson for a few moments, first time since my first truckers show back in 2002 when he came out to the bar after the show. Been to about 30 since, just never ran into him. My wife loves him! Oh yeah, also got to speak with David Barbe who was in the crowd for the Volicrapture show(one of his students was in the band) Told him I saw him back in the day with Sugar, he asked where I told him Detroit...and he says "1994 at the Fox Theater"...how cool is that!!! It was so great to see alot of the 3DDrs...can;t wait for next year. RIP Craig

Scorecard
850 miles
4 times Drunk
3 Hangovers
2 prints
1 of the best times in recent memory

Clams

Post by Clams »

In 30+ years of listening to rock music and seeing so many bands and shows, I've never been a part of anything as raw, visceral, and furious as what I watched from up close on Friday and Saturday nights. On Friday night, tension and tears were in air and no one really knew what to expect from the band. As Patterson held up the bottle of Makers Mark and then strummed the opening notes of Living Bubba (we all just knew that song would open the show), the music didn't exactly take you to another place, but it did make the current place a lot more bearable, at least for those 75 minutes. All through the set, the guitars and lyrics pounded: Can't die now, cause I got another show to do, gravity's gone and I'm just floatin', the shadows of the cage 'round the 40 Watt light, the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone. Then, mother of god, that closing trio: WWW (take me piece by piece, til there ain't nothin' left of me...), World of Hurt (Goddam it, did you see the sunset today? It's fucking great to be alive!) and People Who Died (they were all my friends and they FUCKIN' DIED!!!). I mean, jesus christ. As the band and crew furiously jammed away at the end of People Who Died, Patterson climbed atop the drum riser and scowled down in anger, sadness and, I think, appreciation, looking not so much at the audience as through it, about what you'd expect of someone who’d lost a best friend just 12 hours earlier. I think guitarmanupstairs posted a picture that about sums up Patterson's expression at the end of that song. That hour long set left the room and audience in a shambles. An encore was not an option after that bludgeoning set, but yet nobody wanted to leave. Never have I seen anything like it.

Saturday night might not have been as raw, but if anything the show rocked harder - especially the Patterson songs - I loved the instrumental Alabama Icons/Southern Thing, Buttholeville, Play it All Night Long, Hell No and the rest. The anger and fury were still there, but things got a little bit back to normal with a more varied set plus an encore. We even saw some smiles come down from the stage, kind of like when a sliver of late afternoon sun peaks through during an otherwise cold and dreary day. I've been listening to these shows on Southern Shelter since yesterday (thank you Sloan!) and they sound great - and I think that the range of emotions comes through loud and clear on the audio. Interesting that last week Patterson used the words"stripped down and primal" to describe what we were in for this weekend, but he really had no idea. Primal indeed.

Random show notes:
Without Neff, DBT’s country sound is gone. They are in effect a rock band, only. I say this as an observation only, not a complaint. Even on obviously country-tinged songs like Love Like This or Company I Keep, the country aspect just isn't there. I had conversations about this with several different people over the weekend and everyone pretty much agreed that Neff's departed pedal steel has left a huge void to fill. For now at least, there is no country or-alt-country sound to DBT – just straight up rock. On the other hand, without Neff, Cooley and Patterson have cleared stepped it up. Cooley was playing a lot of slide all weekend and he and Patterson both took more leads than usual.

There was also much discussion about Jay Gonzalez Keyboard Player vs Jay Gonzalez Guitar Player and the verdict is, (a) the people like what his guitar adds to the band’s sound much more than what his keys bring to the sound and (b) DBT needs a third guitar more than they need a keyboard. Again, not a complaint about the keyboards, just stating what was pretty clear after talking with so many people about it. Of course, the only opinions that will matter in the end are those of Patterson and Cooley and I'd imagine that Jay will remain a keyboard/guitar hybrid at least in the short run. But goddam, can he play guitar. And the way he sported that sharp blue jacket (was that velour???) and wore the guitar up high on his chest, he looked right out of a classic ‘64 Kinks or Beatles video. Love to watch him play! DBT needs a third guitar and Jay IMO could/should be that guy. And while I do like DBT as a stripped down 5 piece, there is still that issue of the pedal steel...

Loved hearing Heathens and Devil Don't Stay all three nights, and they both never sounded better. Also nice to see Girls Who Smoke reemerge, with that blistering Cooley solo at the end. The instrumental Alabama Icons might work better than the version with lyrics. This was my first time seeing Matt Patton on bass, and two things come to mind: Shonna who??? and please hire that guy full time.

Was my first time in the 40 Watt too. What a great place! The main thing separating a 40 Watt show from the northeastern shows I'm used to, is that the room is full of 500 freaks who know every word to every song, just like I do. A completely different experience. Nothing like being up front in the first couple of rows with the enormous 3dd crew or turning around late in the set during Hell No or Zip City and seeing people like Scotty C, Lynn & Guinness, Coldogdoc, etc all smiling and rocking as hard as can be. Throw in the PBR tall boys and three types of Terrapin on tap, and well, it's pretty much heaven here on earth.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

bnzz wrote: Made it out to Baxendale Guitars. If you ever get the chance you must go. Scott is absolutely the best. He was installing a pick up and told us to wander around anywhere we would like. I wondered into the guitar showroom and picked up a Kay refurb that Scott does.....thing sounded amazing. I played it for a bit, went back to his shop and inquired about it...not for sale...was being shipped to Luther of the North Mississippi Allstars this week. How cool is that!!!! after he got done with the pick up he toured us around the shop and then upstairs to the studio...even cut us a copy of his new album coming out.....gotta say I listened to it on the way home and loved it! he worte the name of it on the cd, but it is in my car and I cant remember the name of it, but I recommend it. Had a blast at Nuci's and finally had the high bid on some prints. got to speak with Patterson for a few moments, first time since my first truckers show back in 2002 when he came out to the bar after the show. Been to about 30 since, just never ran into him. My wife loves him! Oh yeah, also got to speak with David Barbe who was in the crowd for the Volicrapture show(one of his students was in the band) Told him I saw him back in the day with Sugar, he asked where I told him Detroit...and he says "1994 at the Fox Theater"...how cool is that!!! It was so great to see alot of the 3DDrs...can;t wait for next year. RIP Craig

I believe Scotts album is to be titled "The Lounge Downtown". If I got it right it is a collaboration with another guy. It sounds really good in my ears. Neff is on there with some pedal steel too I believe.

And wasn't it Barbe's son the lead singer in Velocirapture?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Clams wrote:Then, mother of god, that closing trio: WWW (take me piece by piece, til there ain't nothin' left of me...), World of Hurt (Goddam it, did you see the sunset today? It's fucking great to be alive!) and People Who Died (they were all my friends and they FUCKIN' DIED!!!). I mean, jesus christ. As the band and crew furiously jammed away at the end of People Who Died, Patterson climbed atop the drum riser and scowled down in anger, sadness and, I think, appreciation, looking not so much at the audience as through it, about what you'd expect of someone who’d lost a best friend just 12 hours earlier. I think guitarmanupstairs posted a picture that about sums up Patterson's expression at the end of that song. That hour long set left the room and audience in a shambles. An encore was not an option after that bludgeoning set, but yet nobody wanted to leave. Never have I seen anything like it.

Great meeting ya in person finally Clamsy!
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

The music was reaffirming and as good as always, but what a weird weekend.

A lot more lost than gained.

DBT, thank you for playing on Friday given the circumstances. I wouldn't have blamed you if you hadn't. They were only thirteen songs, but they were perfectly selected and perfectly played.

I'm incredibly saddened by the loss of Craig. Every time that I ran into him at DBT shows around the States, he always remembered my name was Ryan and that I was from Chicago. Although he probably likely only sort of knew me as a Facebook friend, he always treated me like he had known me for years. One can never have enough friends in their life and connecting with people is always undervalued. He had a kind soul that you could see through his eyes. Much more to say when I can conjure up the thoughts in a more linear fashion.

For those that I had the pleasure of seeing over the course the weekend, always a pleasure. For those who I intended to and didn't, I can't wait until the next time. A busy, but strange weekend.
We have a wonderful community and I'm very proud of this band. .

Thanks to all of you for that and thanks to DBT for the choice to give it their all this weekend.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Clams wrote:In 30+ years of listening to rock music and seeing so many bands and shows, I've never been a part of anything as raw, visceral, and furious as what I watched from up close on Friday and Saturday nights. On Friday night, tension and tears were in air and no one really knew what to expect from the band. As Patterson held up the bottle of Makers Mark and then strummed the opening notes of Living Bubba (we all just knew that song would open the show), the music didn't exactly take you to another place, but it did make the current place a lot more bearable, at least for those 75 minutes. All through the set, the guitars and lyrics pounded: Can't die now, cause I got another show to do, gravity's gone and I'm just floatin', the shadows of the cage 'round the 40 Watt light, the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone. Then, mother of god, that closing trio: WWW (take me piece by piece, til there ain't nothin' left of me...), World of Hurt (Goddam it, did you see the sunset today? It's fucking great to be alive!) and People Who Died (they were all my friends and they FUCKIN' DIED!!!). I mean, jesus christ. As the band and crew furiously jammed away at the end of People Who Died, Patterson climbed atop the drum riser and scowled down in anger, sadness and, I think, appreciation, looking not so much at the audience as through it, about what you'd expect of someone who’d lost a best friend just 12 hours earlier. I think guitarmanupstairs posted a picture that about sums up Patterson's expression at the end of that song. That hour long set left the room and audience in a shambles. An encore was not an option after that bludgeoning set, but yet nobody wanted to leave. Never have I seen anything like it.

Great write-up, Clams. Loved the lyrics quoting here. Also, thanks for bringing a sense to history in this. I've only been following the band for a year, so I've only ever seen Matt Patton on bass, and he not only is awesome, but he's clearly loving every second. I might slightly disagree on Jay - I love love love his guitar, but I think his keyboards give the band a unique sound they wouldn't otherwise have. I say hire a new guitarist who can do pedal steel, and have Jay do guitar stuff live.

An amazing weekend. Fantastic stuff.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

call shonna, i found him!

This is hilarious. Wow.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Great stuff here guys. What went on Friday night was so hard to capture in words...yet yall managed it.

One additional observation about the People Who Died performance, there was one particular moment a good ways in, where Patterson walked over to David Barbe and put his arm around his friend as he played.

Normally it might not have seemed like much and a bunch of people may have missed it due to the fury and grief being poured out in that performance, but to me it said a whole, whole bunch.

It seemed like Patterson was expressing appreciation for his friend and needed to physically reach out and grab hold of him to make sure he didn't go anywhere. The act of a man who has had too many people that he loved leave far too soon. Barbe never took his eyes off the fret board but acknowledged with a look that conveyed his understanding and agreement.

Man I'm glad I was there that night.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clamsie! Who knew you could talk like that much less write like that? :o

I mostly agree w/ you Clamster and i even agree w/ you that if really, truly forced to, I'd pick the 3d guitar over the keyboards, but I think Jay's keys add so much to the band's sound and he's adding more all the time. Carl Perkins Cadillac on Saturday is a classic example, but there are many. I loved Jay's guitar playing this wkend, he was practically an overnight sensation after 25 years, and I hope to hear more of it, but I hope DBT doesn't eliminate the keys from their permanent sound.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

gordonlw wrote:my source for night three

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=561565

Drive-By Truckers
01/19/2013
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Lookout Mountain
03. 72 (this highway's mean)
04. Ronnie And Neil
05. Carl Perkins' Cadillac
06. Buttholeville
07. Marry Me
08. Banter about Craig
09. Heathens
10. Where The Devil Don't Stay
11. Used To Be A Cop
12. 3 Dimes Down
13. Road Cases
14. Gravity's Gone
15. Sink Hole
16. Guitar Man Upstairs
17. Play It All Night Long
18. When The Pin Hits The Shell
19. Hell No I Ain't Happy
20. Encore Break

encore:
21. Zip City
22. Steve McQueen
23. Shut Up And Get On The Plane
24. Angels And Fuselage

RIP Craig Lieske

so i'm a dumb guy.

do i download the torrent link thinga-mabob.

then what?

bueller?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Dime, go to Southernshelter.com. You can download all three of the shows, each one in a zip file of MP3s. Not sure though if they are from the same source or of the same quality as Gordon's recordings. Get em.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

Clams wrote:Dime, go to Southernshelter.com. You can download all three of the shows, each one in a zip file of MP3s. Not sure though if they are from the same source or of the same quality as Gordon's recordings. Get em.

clams is a genius.

Flea

Post by Flea »

beantownbubba wrote:Clamsie! Who knew you could talk like that much less write like that? :o

I mostly agree w/ you Clamster and i even agree w/ you that if really, truly forced to, I'd pick the 3d guitar over the keyboards, but I think Jay's keys add so much to the band's sound and he's adding more all the time. Carl Perkins Cadillac on Saturday is a classic example, but there are many. I loved Jay's guitar playing this wkend, he was practically an overnight sensation after 25 years, and I hope to hear more of it, but I hope DBT doesn't eliminate the keys from their permanent sound.

Gotta agree about the keys, it seemed at the DC New Years run Jay was flirting around the edges of emulating (for lack of a better word) Neff's pedal steel with the keys , while at the same time laying claim to those notes as his own. Given time to ripen & evolve, a hybrid guitar/key ticket may be just the answer.
Now it's dark.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Flea wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Clamsie! Who knew you could talk like that much less write like that? :o

Gotta agree about the keys, it seemed at the DC New Years run Jay was flirting around the edges of emulating (for lack of a better word) Neff's pedal steel with the keys , while at the same time laying claim to those notes as his own. Given time to ripen & evolve, a hybrid guitar/key ticket may be just the answer.

Yep. Some songs benefit from keys, some from the third guitar. All benefit from Jay Gonzales playing on them. Dude's a champ, not to mention one of the nicest people I know.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I had the pleasure of seeing Matt Patton's first show with DBT in March in Colorado. It has been fun watching him work out his place within DBT over the last year. From day one, you wouldn't know he was new if you hadn't seen DBT before. He slipped in like a glove right away. However, as time goes by, he is really making his mark. Especially on songs like "Used to Be a Cop". Not to mention, he plays every show like he's having the time of his life, and that smile, so infectious! Who knows what the future will bring, but I'm really hoping he sticks around. He is also an incredibly nice guy, I love how he often comes out after shows and hangs with fans for a while, so approachable and kind.

Speaking of approachable and kind, Jay Gonzalez is also one of the sweetest people ever. As far as his playing is concerned, he is amazing, in my eyes. It still floors me that he can play 2 instruments on one song. I can't even walk and chew gum at the same time! Working out when keys are good and when guitar is good is a tall order, but he is doing great. I doubt he'll keep this up on a permanent basis, but let's remember, DBT needs to have a temporary fix, and had to figure it out on 2 days notice, so huge kudos go out to Jay for accepting the challenge. I absolutely love seeing him on guitar, and it is a blast watching he and Patterson nearly cross guitars and having so much fun up there.

Patterson and Cooley are both really interesting to watch now more than ever. It feels like this change in line up has given them a breath of fresh air, not that they were stale before, just that they're forced to think about things in a new way.

EZB is not to be neglected, either. I've seen him getting even more intense than ever, literally standing up and beating the hell out of that drum kit.

Only time will tell what the next version of the band will look like. I definitely do miss the pedal steel. I wonder if Jay can play pedal steel? :lol: Oh wait, nevermind, we don't want him doing triple duty!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

I admit it: electric bass in DBT has been an afterthought for me until now. Yeah, it was there and it was nice but Matt Patton has heightened my awareness and expectation of all that it can be. Sounds similar to other life experiences (sex, weed, etc.).

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Thanks to Daniel for capturing People Who Died on film on Fri night. It was so intense.

Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

Clams wrote:Dime, go to Southernshelter.com. You can download all three of the shows, each one in a zip file of MP3s. Not sure though if they are from the same source or of the same quality as Gordon's recordings. Get em.

different sources but very similar mics (same brand). he was fob I was not. you can get the mp's from archive as well. haven't gotten but the third night up on archive. I'll have the rest up tomorrow probably.

http://archive.org/details/dbt2013-01-19.ak40.flac16

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Just checking in. We W's just got in an hour or so ago. More talk later. Sleep now.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Why am I not in Athens?

Siiiiiiiiiiiigh...

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I got a message from a friend late Friday night from Athens which prompted me to very seriously consider "packing up the van and headin' to Athens" the next morning. Of course I didn't make that move because I let my head rule out over my heart. That was an occasion when my heart should have won. Much love to Craig's family, friends and to all of my fellow Truckers fans.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I got a message from a friend late Friday night from Athens which prompted me to very seriously consider "packing up the van and headin' to Athens" the next morning. Of course I didn't make that move because I let my head rule out over my heart. That was an occasion when my heart should have won. Much love to Craig's family, friends and to all of my fellow Truckers fans.

I kept trying to figure out if you and John A Arkansawyer were there. Sounds like you both came real close to coming down at the last minute but weren't able to make it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.