Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

gordonlw

Re: Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Post by gordonlw »

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=561502

Thundercrack
01/17/2013
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. The Promised Land
03. Born in the USA
04. Candy's Room *
05. Prove it All Night
06. Born to Run

* w/ Patterson Hood on vocals

RIP Craig Lieske

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

they'll be some great musicians (non-DBT) in the crowd tonight.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Dice

Post by Dice »

Got 3 for tonight for sale. I'm selling them as a group. Pm me if interested.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

While at the Nuci's auction party, Bill in CT and I were talking to Jay about his double duty and how awesome his guitar playing has been. He mentioned Jay Bennett, RIP, (Wilco) as an example of how to do it right. My other favorite band :)

Patterson was chatting with anyone who cared to engage. Great event for a great cause.

On to the rock show.
Dave

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

I am having a great big bourbon all by my damn self, in honor of Craig Lieske, and tuning in to Gordon's stream. Hope ya'll are able to enjoy the show. Craig's spirit is with us and will be guiding us to future rock shows. Hope you feel it, too. Lift your glasses, your souls, and CELEBRATE CRAIG. Peace brothers and sisters.

FlounderinDC

Post by FlounderinDC »

Amen.

roland

Post by roland »

Holy shit, it's nothing but the rock tonight! And Heathens.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I'm drinkin' with myself again. Hail to the one with the wild white hair.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Slipkid42 wrote:I'm drinkin' with myself again. Hail to the one with the wild white hair.

Slip, I cannot believe we're not watching football and drinking beer together tomorrow (later today). May the best team win and may it be a great game. Missed u this wkend for sure.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

We mourned at the wake yesterday and celebrated the funeral tonight
Always go to the show

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

OK, they opened w/ "Lookout Mountain" and after 5 songs they had already done "Buttholeville". Can you say rock show? No, no, c'mon now: ROCK SHOW! Yeah, that's the spirit.

I honestly don't know how these guys do it. There wasn't a song in the set that I haven't heard at least a half dozen times, some many more than that. Several personal favorites didn't make the cut. And yet they continue to dazzle me, to blow me away time after time. As RolanK said, it's a privilege to be a fan of the greatest rock n roll band in the world. And the question clearly is no longer are they the best band today - nobody comes close. Nor is there really any challenger for best band of the 21st century. The only question is where do they fit in the big, big picture, the full history of rock n' roll. As far as I'm concerned they are moving up the charts real fast, w/ a bullet. Yes, they are that good.

I guess that when ones sees a band 3 nites in a row, by the third night one tends to focus on different things. For me tonight was not so much about set lists or solos, though there's plenty to talk about on those topics. I was totally taken w/ Jay and Matt (which is in no way to denigrate the others, just saying that this is what caught my eye and ear). I thought Jay's playing on each of keys and guitar was fantastic and the fact that he was doing both, switching back and forth seamlessly, sometimes playing keys w/ a guitar around his neck and at least a couple of times playing both in the same song, was a true virtuoso performance. Just to cite a couple of examples, he had this fabulous Procol Harum meets 60's soul thing going on, of all songs, "Carl Perkins' Cadillac" and by later in the set (I need a set list to get this right) he was channeling Booker T Jones w/ some Felix Cavaliere spin. Awesome. And that's not even talking about his stellar guitar playing.

I don't know if Matt is developing in a particular way or if i just happened to truly hear him for the first time tonite but he stood out to me. Instead of "merely" playing a very good, very competent bass, he started making some of the songs particularly in the middle third of the set his own. "Used to be a Cop" is one example and i can't remember the name of the other song i specifically wanted to mention.

The contrast between last nite and tonite was stark. Paraphrasing and spinning off of OBL, last nite was about grief. Tonite was not quite a celebration, Craig is still obviously too much on everyone's mind for that, but it was kind of a challenge to the gods along the lines of "throw whatever you want at us, we WILL fight back and we WILL prevail." To these ears, "Hell No I Ain't Happy" and "Angels and Fuselage" were the highpoints of what I'm talking about. In fact "Hell No" was just flat out brilliant, peak after guitar and vocal peak.

Patterson thanked 3dd for the Nuci's fundraiser (almost SEVEN THOUSAND DOLLARS for those who haven't yet heard) and Cooley then went into "Three Dimes Down." What else? :D

Patterson talked about Craig tonight in a way it seemed like he couldn't last nite and it was beautiful, touching and pretty much perfect.

There have of course been plenty of 3dders around all wkend but tonite the place was crawling w/ 'em. It was such a treat to see so many old friends and to put so many new faces to old names. And yet there were still a whole bunch of folks whose names i couldn't check off my list despite knowing they were there. Next year, i hope.

I will probably have more to say after a nite to sleep on it and a look at a set list (uncle rickey? sloan? somebody pls).

A great, great night of music.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

Just got back to Atlanta from the Rock Show. Holy mother of God. What a stunning night. Jay is a guitar hero. Matt is kicking ass and taking names. And Patterson, Cooley, and EZB are taking their playing to a whole new level. I really hope this lineup stays just as it is for a while. Seems everyone has room to breathe.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

Drive-By Truckers - 2013-01-19
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) Lookout Mountain
02) 72 (this highway's mean)
03) Ronnie And Neil
04) Carl Perkins' Cadillac
05) Buttholeville
06) Marry Me
07) Heathens
08) Where The Devil Don't Stay
09) Used To Be A Cop
10) 3 Dimes Down
11) Road Cases
12) Gravity's Gone
13) Sink Hole
14) Guitar Man Upstairs
15) Play It All Night Long
16) When The Pin Hits The Shell
17) Hell No I Ain't Happy
18) E:) Zip City
19) Steve McQueen
20) Shut Up And Get On The Plane
21) Angels And Fuselage

Humboldt

Post by Humboldt »

Just came back from Joey Harris and the Mentals, with Mojo Nixon sittin in, playing a mean guitar. Told them during the break about Craig. I'd talked to the guy and bought stuff at the table maybe 10 times through the years. We're all fans, and keepers of the sound. Powderfinger was dedication to Craig to a good crowd at the Tiki in PB tonight.

Clams

Post by Clams »

On the road. Ugh.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

Smitty wrote:they'll be some great musicians (non-DBT) in the crowd tonight.

Looked to my right at one point last night and Anders Parker was standing next to me.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Getting ready to hit the road (although it's too damn early). I'll have more to say later, but thanks to DBT' and you fine folks for making this a weekend I will never forget.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

beantownbubba wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:I'm drinkin' with myself again. Hail to the one with the wild white hair.

Slip, I cannot believe we're not watching football and drinking beer together tomorrow (later today). May the best team win and may it be a great game. Missed u this wkend for sure.

I missed you guys too, bubba. If it wasn't for gordon's magnificent stream, I woulda felt extra shitty. If we watched the game together; you would prolly think lesser of me. As WZ would say, I ain't that pretty at all. Safe travels to you & everyone else.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Getting ready to pull out of town. I can't believe the Homecoming weekend is over already. I think I'm still trying to process last night, & really the weekend as a whole. All I know for sure is that I love the Drive By Truckers like no band I ever have before.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Funny quick story. At the Nuci's Space auction, they had various jewelry items made from the band's guitar strings. I was in my wheelchair so after looking at all the stuff, I parked in the corner and couldn't see who was bidding on what. My wife, who isn't the fan* I am and doesn't know their history went to check bids. She came back and asked "who is John Neff? No one is bidding on his stuff"

*this weekend converted her
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Getting ready to pull out of town. I can't believe the Homecoming weekend is over already. I think I'm still trying to process last night, & really the weekend as a whole. All I know for sure is that I love the Drive By Truckers like no band I ever have before.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

What I said was that it felt like Friday night was about grieving the loss of Craig and last night was about being pissed off about it. That was an angry, passionate set. By the end, we were wrung out.

That'll teach the Powers That Be to mess with our family.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

Thanks to gordon and sloansimpson for making the shows available to us unfortunates who could not get to Athens. Should make it next year. What are the chances of having another heart attack ten days before Homecoming? Really like the sound of the band even without the pedal steel. Safe travels to everyone. It's fucking great to be alive!
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

StevieRay wrote:
Smitty wrote:they'll be some great musicians (non-DBT) in the crowd tonight.

Looked to my right at one point last night and Anders Parker was standing next to me.

Browan Lollar and Jim White (who's daughter opened) were also in the house.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

brett27295 wrote:Getting ready to pull out of town. I can't believe the Homecoming weekend is over already. I think I'm still trying to process last night, & really the weekend as a whole. All I know for sure is that I love the Drive By Truckers like no band I ever have before.

The entire weekend is still hard to process...I am with you...I have never loved a band kime I do the Drive By Truckers...
Put that drinking jacket on and enjoy a little fun...

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

my source for night three

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=561565

Drive-By Truckers
01/19/2013
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. Intro
02. Lookout Mountain
03. 72 (this highway's mean)
04. Ronnie And Neil
05. Carl Perkins' Cadillac
06. Buttholeville
07. Marry Me
08. Banter about Craig
09. Heathens
10. Where The Devil Don't Stay
11. Used To Be A Cop
12. 3 Dimes Down
13. Road Cases
14. Gravity's Gone
15. Sink Hole
16. Guitar Man Upstairs
17. Play It All Night Long
18. When The Pin Hits The Shell
19. Hell No I Ain't Happy
20. Encore Break

encore:
21. Zip City
22. Steve McQueen
23. Shut Up And Get On The Plane
24. Angels And Fuselage

RIP Craig Lieske

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

We can talk about the loss of Craig in the memorial thread, but for now the abbreviated version is that we are beyond devastated and heartbroken.

We just got home from Athens and we're struggling to wrap our heads around this year's homecoming shows.

I'm having a difficult time with this, but wanted to mention the show on Fri night. I have to thank DBT and crew for playing that night, and especially Jenn for manning the merch booth that night. I have no idea how any of them did that. The only thing I can think is Craig would have found a way to kick their asses if they didn't.
I could not stop bawling all night. The opener played, and I stared at the musicians feet through watery eyes the whole set.

When DBT hit the stage, it got worse. Patterson came out with a nearly empty bottle of Maker's Mark and held it up to the crowd for a moment of silence, then finished it off and started the first song. (For those who don't know, that was Craig's drink of choice.)

From the opening notes of The Living Bubba through the last note of People Who Died, I was sobbing. I didn't make a sound, but tears were flowing constantly. I know I wasn't alone. The entire front row was like that, men and women alike. If I were DBT and were experiencing the extreme heartbreak of losing a family member like they were, and looked out and saw the front row in tears all night, I wouldn't have been able to sing a single note. But, DBT and crew and family are amazing people. They knew we all needed to grieve that night, and they showed up and helped us all through the initial shock. I can't thank them enough, or give them enough credit. Wow. By the time they got to People Who Died, I was ready to fall over between the grief for Craig and for my mother-in-law who we lost last week. I had bumped into Patterson the day before and he had heard about my mother-in-law and was very concerned about Luke and I. It was incredibly touching. So during PWD, he was kneeling on the stage, singing his heart out right in front of us. We screamed our hearts out when he put the mic out to us, and I even shouted with him for a second forehead to forehead. It was an amazing, emotional moment. As Patterson sometimes does, he gave us the Patron to sip from. Only this time, at the end of PWD, he just told Luke to keep the barely untouched bottle. It was unbelievable. We simply couldn't leave the 40 Watt after that, or even pry ourselves from leaning against the stage. Asa gave me the empty bottle of Maker's that Patterson had brought out, and damned if I didn't hug the bottle for the rest of the night. We shared that Patron with as many people as possible and it was empty by the time we left.

On the positive side, the crowd was full of people we knew. Every minute, people were hugging each other, crying together, and generally being there for each other. We all said time and time again, we hate like hell this happened, but at least all of us were together and it didn't happen while they were out on the road. It is still horrible and doesn't take away the pain, but is a small comfort just the same.

Somebody asked me what I thought they would do on Sat night since Fri was so intense. My gut feeling was that they were going to come out and rock our asses off. OBL had it right, Fri was for all of us to grieve together, Sat was for all of us to be pissed together. They kicked ass on Sat, and the front row helped, I think. We were all rocking out and not crying on Sat. Well, at least until the last song, when we all kind of lost it again. In addition to Craig's picture being out on stage, his guitar, which he had used with Thundercrack on Thurs night, was on stage too. It was tough both nights to see those things on stage, but I felt like they both needed to be there. The top of his guitar was kind of funny, it reminded me of his hair, the strings were kind of wild and crazy. Patterson spoke about Craig and told some really cool stories. He talked about cleaning up the 40 Watt after a Flaming Lips showand finding glitter everywhere, including his ass, for days. Cooley absolutely lost it at that point, laughing so hard he was almost doubled over, and made a move like he was going to say one of his hilarious comments, but changed his mind and kept laughing instead. It was so good to see everyone up there smiling and laughing. It relieved some of the grief, even if was just for a few minutes.

I don't want to go on about the shows, as others have already made some great comments. I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

Thank you to DBT, the crew, and all the fans. I'm so grateful to each and every one of you for all the hugs, love and tears this week. This fucking sucks, but we will help each other going forward. DBT is the most genuine, caring group of people and attracts the same for their crew and fans. That's what will keep us all coming back for years to come.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

JAYFROMBAMA

Post by JAYFROMBAMA »

Patterson handed me that nearly empty bottle of Maker's Mark backstage right before they went on Saturday. It was the first slug of whiskey I'd had in 15 years. There could not have been a better/worse time for it!

ilockyer

Post by ilockyer »

I decided before leaving that, rather than try and remember notes for a good review of each show, I was just going to do a brief travel blog, well, here it is. Feel free to read/ignore at will!

http://blog.travelpod.com/travel-blog/i ... /tpod.html

Also, a video from Saturday night:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CeHYs-hXpnc

Already looking forward to next year!