Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

John A Arkansawyer

Re: Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Cole Younger wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:I got a message from a friend late Friday night from Athens which prompted me to very seriously consider "packing up the van and headin' to Athens" the next morning. Of course I didn't make that move because I let my head rule out over my heart. That was an occasion when my heart should have won. Much love to Craig's family, friends and to all of my fellow Truckers fans.

I kept trying to figure out if you and John A Arkansawyer were there. Sounds like you both came real close to coming down at the last minute but weren't able to make it.

I had a bus ticket out and back, then I had responsibilities and decided not to go, then the news came and I really should have taken off in the car but I didn't and I regret it. But had I been there, I'd've made a point of saying hello to you.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

FreeFall

Post by FreeFall »

I could not make these shows but I feel like I was there. Many thanks to all the 3DD'ers who posted comments, travel logs, videos, and recordings. Sad with Craig's passing. I only met him once but got to talk with him for quite a while. His his stories still make me, and those I tell, laugh out loud. With the show having to go on, at least from here, it seems an indescribably intense a wake in the form of a Rock Show. Next year when the tickets go on sale ... I plan to be all in even if my 'music group of friends' can't go ... ahem GG ;-). I know I'll be in good company with those who I've already met and with new friends to make. Clams - I gotta agree, Matt Patton plays bass like nobody I've EVER seen. It ain't just the notes ... which he does O so well ... but the intense, 60 smiles a minute, emotion that he puts into it ... he fits.

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Okay, for the last couple days, I've been trying to gather my thoughts about what homecoming weekend meant to me. I'm struggling to put it into words. So I'm just going to use my trusty voice recognition software and say what I'm thinking, do very little editing, and see what comes out.

With everything that happened, I've almost felt guilty about thinking that this weekend was so special to me. I've always wanted to go to homecoming. But to be honest, I never thought that I'd actually make it. I didn't have friends who were trucker fans like I was. Many of my friends aren't even huge music fans, so it's hard to explain why spending the money to fly and see three consecutive nights of the same group was a good idea. (I know, I know, this sounds very silly in retrospect). When I received my diagnosis in 2011, I kind of figured my chance of attending homecoming was gone. When the dates for 2013 were announced, I casually brought it up to my wife and brother. It must've been how I said it, but they knew. They knew. This was it. This was my "Make-A-Wish" trip. Once Jenn and you folks on the board convinced me you could make it work I was all in. My brother casually liked the truckers, and my wife tolerated them, but I could tell they both wanted to make this happen for me. And did they ever.

Jenn really set us up in terms of having a place for me to be able to comfortably sit and enjoy the show. Because of where we were, I probably could've spent more time talking with the band members. However, I also didn't want to invade their personal space or bother them before a show. Especially on Friday. I did get to speak a little with Patterson, and he was as nice and genuine as everyone has described him. I also got to spend a good bit of time with Matt and his wife. I agree with the sentiments on this board, that is quite a find and I hope he sticks around for the long haul. A huge highlight for me was Saturday show, seeing Matt come out wearing the red ALS bracelet that I gave him. And seeing Patterson with the same bracelet hanging from his keys. (When I gave it to him, he kind of smiled and said "are you trying to cut off my circulation?" :lol: )

I can't say enough about you folks on the board. I met many of you, and warned you at the time I do have a hard time remembering or keeping track of real names and screen names. :lol: All of you made me feel welcome. You really don't realize what an amazing community this says until you go to homecoming. I don't want to start naming people, because I'm very worried that I'll leave someone out. But you should all know that you folks are a big part of what made this weekend special to me as well. Actually, there is one name I have to mention…

GW, thanks for everything. It was so great to meet you face-to-face, and it was wonderful to meet Patty as well. You are a big reason I was so comfortable this whole weekend. Dude, you're a rock. And so is Patty. I don't know what else to say. One of my fondest moments, was when I got up to go to the bathroom and Patty looked at me, and just kind of smiled and said "look at you walking to the bathroom. You big show off". (I literally had to turn off my software because I'm laughing out loud thinking about that) The attitude you have, and the way you guys do with things, is an inspiration not only to me but to all those around you.

The other moment GW did for me was just as amazing. At Saturday show, which you know was a packed house, he got me out on the floor for the encore. I cannot describe the emotion, of standing there, holding my wife and brother, and singing "I'm scared shitless at what's coming next". Tears were streaming down my face. I could go on and on, but could never adequately explain how I felt at that moment.

I can't say anything about the shows that already hasn't been said. The power. The emotion. It is basically indescribable. It is funny, you folks get it. But it's almost impossible to describe it to people who aren't fans of this band. I can honestly say (other than the A&F moment I just described), I honestly forgot that I had ALS for three consecutive nights. Forget about bands, very few things have that kind of power.

One last thing. We got the Saturday show a little later than the others. That's because we each got matching "souvenirs". No better way to commemorate our first trip to Athens.
We all three got matching ones. And my wife and brother are now converted fans.

Thanks again to all of you, and I'm going to fight like hell to get another one at the 2014 homecoming.
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Mr. B

Post by Mr. B »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Okay, for the last couple days, I've been trying to gather my thoughts about what homecoming weekend meant to me. I'm struggling to put it into words. So I'm just going to use my trusty voice recognition software and say what I'm thinking, do very little editing, and see what comes out.

With everything that happened, I've almost felt guilty about thinking that this weekend was so special to me. I've always wanted to go to homecoming. But to be honest, I never thought that I'd actually make it. I didn't have friends who were trucker fans like I was. Many of my friends aren't even huge music fans, so it's hard to explain why spending the money to fly and see three consecutive nights of the same group was a good idea. (I know, I know, this sounds very silly in retrospect). When I received my diagnosis in 2011, I kind of figured my chance of attending homecoming was gone. When the dates for 2013 were announced, I casually brought it up to my wife and brother. It must've been how I said it, but they knew. They knew. This was it. This was my "Make-A-Wish" trip. Once Jenn and you folks on the board convinced me you could make it work I was all in. My brother casually liked the truckers, and my wife tolerated them, but I could tell they both wanted to make this happen for me. And did they ever.

Jenn really set us up in terms of having a place for me to be able to comfortably sit and enjoy the show. Because of where we were, I probably could've spent more time talking with the band members. However, I also didn't want to invade their personal space or bother them before a show. Especially on Friday. I did get to speak a little with Patterson, and he was as nice and genuine as everyone has described him. I also got to spend a good bit of time with Matt and his wife. I agree with the sentiments on this board, that is quite a find and I hope he sticks around for the long haul. A huge highlight for me was Saturday show, seeing Matt come out wearing the red ALS bracelet that I gave him. And seeing Patterson with the same bracelet hanging from his keys. (When I gave it to him, he kind of smiled and said "are you trying to cut off my circulation?" :lol: )

I can't say enough about you folks on the board. I met many of you, and warned you at the time I do have a hard time remembering or keeping track of real names and screen names. :lol: All of you made me feel welcome. You really don't realize what an amazing community this says until you go to homecoming. I don't want to start naming people, because I'm very worried that I'll leave someone out. But you should all know that you folks are a big part of what made this weekend special to me as well. Actually, there is one name I have to mention…

GW, thanks for everything. It was so great to meet you face-to-face, and it was wonderful to meet Patty as well. You are a big reason I was so comfortable this whole weekend. Dude, you're a rock. And so is Patty. I don't know what else to say. One of my fondest moments, was when I got up to go to the bathroom and Patty looked at me, and just kind of smiled and said "look at you walking to the bathroom. You big show off". (I literally had to turn off my software because I'm laughing out loud thinking about that) The attitude you have, and the way you guys do with things, is an inspiration not only to me but to all those around you.

The other moment GW did for me was just as amazing. At Saturday show, which you know was a packed house, he got me out on the floor for the encore. I cannot describe the emotion, of standing there, holding my wife and brother, and singing "I'm scared shitless at what's coming next". Tears were streaming down my face. I could go on and on, but could never adequately explain how I felt at that moment.

I can't say anything about the shows that already hasn't been said. The power. The emotion. It is basically indescribable. It is funny, you folks get it. But it's almost impossible to describe it to people who aren't fans of this band. I can honestly say (other than the A&F moment I just described), I honestly forgot that I had ALS for three consecutive nights. Forget about bands, very few things have that kind of power.

One last thing. We got the Saturday show a little later than the others. That's because we each got matching "souvenirs". No better way to commemorate our first trip to Athens.

Thanks again to all of you, and I'm going to fight like hell to get another one at the 2014 homecoming.

Powerful and inspiring words. Thanks for sharing.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Okay, for the last couple days, I've been trying to gather my thoughts about what homecoming weekend meant to me. I'm struggling to put it into words. So I'm just going to use my trusty voice recognition software and say what I'm thinking, do very little editing, and see what comes out.

This is outstanding stuff, Ben. You brought me to tears.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel wrote:

This is outstanding stuff, Ben. You brought me to tears.

X2.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Fuckin A, Ben!!! :D ALSUM!!

bovine knievel wrote:I can honestly say (other than the A&F moment I just described), I honestly forgot that I had ALS for three consecutive nights.

There it is right there. I can't tell you how glad i am that you were able to post those words.

And you're goddamn right about Mr. & Mrs. GW, too.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

If I did anything that you considered above or beyond, I honestly didn't know it. I wanted out front just as bad as you ;)
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

It is truly a joy reading all of you peoples awesome posts in the aftermath of the HC here in this thread. With my limitations in the english language I shall refrain from cluttering it up by trying to add something profound... I am simply not capable.

However, it was good meeting again all the people I met last years HC. It was good finally meeting people for the first time that I had gotten to know on this board, and the people not on the board that you simply just bump into or get introduced to here and there.

I am already looking forward to the 2014 HC.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

beantownbubba wrote:Fuckin A, Ben!!! :D ALSUM!!

bovine knievel wrote:I can honestly say (other than the A&F moment I just described), I honestly forgot that I had ALS for three consecutive nights.

There it is right there. I can't tell you how glad i am that you were able to post those words.

And you're goddamn right about Mr. & Mrs. GW, too.

Hell yes. Fantastic Ben!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Thank you for posting this. Just unreal.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

UncleFrank23 wrote:The other moment GW did for me was just as amazing. At Saturday show, which you know was a packed house, he got me out on the floor for the encore. I cannot describe the emotion, of standing there, holding my wife and brother, and singing "I'm scared shitless at what's coming next". Tears were streaming down my face. I could go on and on, but could never adequately explain how I felt at that moment.

Your entire post moved me, but this part got to me - "scared shitless at what's coming next" had me tearing up at my desk at work. And that tattoo - oh man. I have that exact Cooley bird (with some different coloring) and it's like you're not only commemorating this amazing weekend, but cementing yourself in this terrific community and the sweep of what it stands for.

Thank you for sharing this.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

I just can't seem to muster the words for this years HC.
I miss all of you, and that spirit and camaraderie to no end.
This weekend was exausting, and rewarding, gutwrenching, and hilarious and a hundred other adjectives.

One thing that really caught me off guard this year is how I feel now that I'm home. I don't feel refreshed or rejuvenated at all, if anything, I feel a little weaker, maybe less resolved to whatever purpose I've been working toward. Patty said to me on the way home that down there, I'm really in my element, and how strange it was for her to be more of the witness than the one driving the conversations like she is in our life here. And its not just you guys, who I obviously have a common thread with, but litterally dozens of small pleasant conversations with total strangers all over town, who were only vaugely aware that DBT exists. I think after 42 yrs I'm staring to really, really, see that I don't fit in with the Farmers and whatnot around here. Maybe I should've noticed that sooner, but I guess I just havn't been paying attention ;)
Digression over.
I'm proud to call so many of you my friends.

Can we start the new countdown yet?
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

GW in IA wrote:I just can't seem to muster the words for this years HC.
This weekend was exausting, and rewarding, gutwrenching, and hilarious and a hundred other adjectives.

One thing that really caught me off guard this year is how I feel now that I'm home. I don't feel refreshed or rejuvenated at all, if anything, I feel a little weaker, maybe less resolved to whatever purpose I've been working toward. Patty said to me on the way home that down there, I'm really in my element, and how strange it was for her to be more of the witness than the one driving the conversations like she is in our life here. And its not just you guys, who I obviously have a common thread with, but litterally dozens of small pleasant conversations with total strangers all over town, who were only vaugely aware that DBT exists. I think after 42 yrs I'm staring to really, really, see that I don't fit in with the Farmers and whatnot around here. Maybe I should've noticed that sooner, but I guess I just havn't been paying attention ;)
Digression over.

GW you captured it perfectly when you said that you feel in your element in Athens. That's exactly how I feel believe it or not. I fit in perfectly down here in the piney woods. I've always got a gun in my truck, I love the woods, I love these dirt roads. But when I'm in Athens with a Rock Show to look forward, and with you folks this weekend, I feel at home.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

GW in IA wrote:I just can't seem to muster the words for this years HC.

Digression over.

Yep. You nailed it. This is exactly what i meant by my post on the previous page about why am i not still in athens?

For me it's a lot like the old days when we would go to the Caribbean for a week. My wife always marveled at how relaxed i was and how i would talk to anyone and everyone, be friendly and outgoing etc in marked contrast to my usual behavior/outlook. Athens is like that but w/ people i already know, either literally or through our shared love of the band. It's a special time/place. I know it's a little bit of an unreal world in that everyone's on their best behavior and it's only a few days and nobody's worried about punching the clock or putting the groceries on the table, but damn it sure does feel like home.

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Hey, what if we all put our savings together and bought an old mansion somewhere on the outskirts of Athens? A 3DD-hippie collective with goats and herb plantation and all that goes with it. We could stay there all year around. Wouldn't that be awesome? ...or, well; weird. Yes I admit.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Lurleen McQueen
Location: the landmass between NOLA and Mobile- it's called Mississippi!

Post by Lurleen McQueen »

RolanK wrote:Hey, what if we all put our savings together and bought an old mansion somewhere on the outskirts of Athens? A 3DD-hippie collective with goats and herb plantation and all that goes with it. We could stay there all year around. Wouldn't that be awesome? ...or, well; weird. Yes I admit.

I'm in!
Consistently holding bullshit up to the light of reason

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Weird and Awesome! What more could you ask?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Having completed my first homecoming, I will say that there are two major components of the weekend - first and foremost are the shows, but then there are the people and the personal connections. I posted the other day about the shows and I was planning to write a second post today about the people - but after Ben's fantastic post last night, there isn't really too much for me to add. Not everyone gets this, but spending quality time with folks you've only known online is an amazing thing. I traveled to Athens all by myself but yet I was never alone - I was with really really good friends from the minute I walked into the 40 Watt on Thursday night. From an impromptu cup of coffee with marklynn on Friday morning, to the genuine hospitality shown by Athens Joe and his family and friends on Friday afternoon, to the Drifter and his Chicago crew adopting me for a few hours of coffee, beer and conversation on Saturday. From finally getting to meet OBL and Fool No Where to spending quality time with GW and Patty, and getting to watch from afar as Patty and Uncle Frank hugged and met for the first time. Not to mention there was a 3dd wedding! I could go on and on. We are all fans of DBT because we connect with the band, the songs and the shows. But the personal connections, friendships and kindness shown by this community are what really make homecoming worth attending.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

Clams wrote:Having completed my first homecoming, I will say that there are two major components of the weekend - first and foremost are the shows, but then there are the people and the personal connections. I posted the other day about the shows and I was planning to write a second post today about the people - but after Ben's fantastic post last night, there isn't really too much for me to add. Not everyone gets this, but spending quality time with folks you've only known online is an amazing thing. I traveled to Athens all by myself but yet I was never alone - I was with really really good friends from the minute I walked into the 40 Watt on Thursday night. From an impromptu cup of coffee with marklynn on Friday morning, to the genuine hospitality shown by Athens Joe and his family and friends on Friday afternoon, to the Drifter and his Chicago crew adopting me for a few hours of coffee, beer and conversation on Saturday. From finally getting to meet OBL and Fool No Where to spending quality time with GW and Patty, and getting to watch from afar as Patty and Uncle Frank hugged and met for the first time. Not to mention there was a 3dd wedding! I could go on and on. We are all fans of DBT because we connect with the band, the songs and the shows. But the personal connections, friendships and kindness shown by this community are what really make homecoming worth attending.

Word!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Good God! I think this weekend may have turned me into a little old lady! Who would've ever thought Clams could make me tear up.
FUCK!
:lol:

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

The first time I thought about going to Athens was in 1984 when some college roommates and I considered making a pilgrimage to the music scene. It never happened. I continued to think about making that trip for the rest of that decade and into the next. In 1994 I came dangerously close to packing up and moving there. I was winding down my record store business, had just gotten out of a bad relationship and wanted to bring a band member or two with me and see what we could do in a more nurturing environment for musicians. That never happened either. Life and loss intruded after that and it took a while to put everything back together. I didn't seriously consider going down there again until 2008 when I almost jumped in the car and drove to homecoming. Funds were a little tight for that though so I decided to make a plan for 2009. That time I finally got there and met my future wife and about two dozen of my closest friends that trip. I still remember walking into the pool area with Cotter at the Dazed and looking up to see GW, Drifter & Erd who didn't know what to expect from these upstarts but who quickly befriended us. Beth and I always say to each other that Athens is our happy place, and the more of our friends that we see there the better. This year tragedy struck but it was still our comfort zone with so many people to hug and share a cry, a beer or a laugh with. Like Gary says though it's not all about our friends either, the town just feels good. Who knows, someday we may actually move there, but it might be a while. Until then I will always dream of the next time we drive down Broad Street and head into town.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK

Post by RolanK »

GW in IA wrote:Weird and Awesome! What more could you ask?

Exactly!
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:first and foremost are the shows

Nope, you've got it backwards, Clams. Sure it's the shows that bring us there in the first place and the shows that the weekend revolves around and the shows that provide the adrenaline rush and plenty to talk about, but hey, we've all seen the rock show before (usually, anyway) and most of us will have the opportunity to catch the rock show again in other locations. It may be the shows that get you to Athens but it's the place and the people that keep you coming back.

Or put another way, all other things like scheduling and cost being equal, if you had the choice between attending a 3 nite stand in, say, Boston, or homecoming in Athens, which would you choose?

loopyhelsbells

Post by loopyhelsbells »

TC...thats exactly what we are looking at now :D That's just hippie..Patterson just came on the telly on Sweet Home Alabama so it's meant to be :)
It's Great To Be Alive........

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

The first time I ever spoke to Patterson all I could manage to say (stammer) to him was that I was so grateful for what they did, because every time I went to a show it felt like coming home. Of course, afterwards Craig told me I was being silly for being so nervous, but that's another story and another thread. I still feel the same way though, it is like coming home, but we don't need the Thanksgiving filter!
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Flea

Post by Flea »

Lurleen McQueen wrote:
RolanK wrote:Hey, what if we all put our savings together and bought an old mansion somewhere on the outskirts of Athens? A 3DD-hippie collective with goats and herb plantation and all that goes with it. We could stay there all year around. Wouldn't that be awesome? ...or, well; weird. Yes I admit.

I'm in!

Ditto. As long as we have our own bathrooms.
Now it's dark.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Much to my chagrin, I was unable to make Homecoming this year. Readin' all of your wonderful (and bittersweet) posts reaffirms just why it is such a special time & place to be. bubba is right (as usual). The shows are awesome (as usual); but it's you, my fellow heAthens, that make it so special. I met my first 3DDers only 27 months ago, but I am as comfortable around you people as I am with some of my tightest lifelong buddies. When a band is as accessible & friendly with their fans as the Truckers are, it must bring out the best in people; 'coz you guys are the best. Thanks for sharin' the highlights & the heartbreak. It's a sure bet that I won't miss another one of these magic weekends.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

th in sc

Post by th in sc »

Fucking great to be alive!

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:
Ty Webb wrote:I've got to say: I've been to an awful lot of Truckers shows and a whole bunch of them have been during the Homecoming run. I only made it to Saturday night this year and I expected a strange vibe. The band clearly brought their A game, but I was disappointed in the majority of the crowd. The room never felt to me like it came together as so frequently happens at a show. During Patterson's short talk about Craig, some younger guys next to me just kept semi-yelling "Rise Up!" We get it, the Falcons are playing. That's tomorrow and this is now.

That's just one small example, but the show didn't feel "right" to me. I left feeling sad and disappointed. That feeling had nothing to do with the band and everything to do with the crowd.

Man I wasn't there for Saturday night but sounds to me like you need to reposition yourself. I know there were at least 50-70 hard core motherfuckers near the front paying attention. :D

Yeah, I got in a bit late and even though I was flying solo I'm not the kind of guy to force my way into a spot I didn't earn. Everyone has an off show from time to time. I'm not going to stop showing up or anything.
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.