Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

one belt loop

Re: Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Post by one belt loop »

th in sc wrote:Fucking great to be alive!

this
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

I think my wife is officially an Athens convert. There is a rumor that a club here in my town is trying to book the Truckers. (For the record I don't think it's realistic). Anyway, when my Becca and I were discussing how cool it would be she said "it wouldn't be the same without all the hardcore board fans" :D
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Markalanbishop

Post by Markalanbishop »

It was a fucking honor to be at the 40 Watt Saturday night. Not because of the Truckers' presence, but because for a few brief shining hours we came together as a community that, the usual few wasted idiots aside, respected one another, respected the music being created on stage, and honored the memory of a friend in the best possible and life affirming way. This is the same community that instantaneously mobilized to help Patterson get his beloved guitar back. It just doesn't get much better than that and that's the type of world I want to live in. So Rock On members of the DBT citizen's brigade--I'm proud to count myself among your numbers.
Kick out the jams motherfuckers.

RockStar

Post by RockStar »

Markalanbishop wrote:It was a fucking honor to be at the 40 Watt Saturday night. Not because of the Truckers' presence, but because for a few brief shining hours we came together as a community that, the usual few wasted idiots aside, respected one another, respected the music being created on stage, and honored the memory of a friend in the best possible and life affirming way. This is the same community that instantaneously mobilized to help Patterson get his beloved guitar back. It just doesn't get much better than that and that's the type of world I want to live in. So Rock On members of the DBT citizen's brigade--I'm proud to count myself among your numbers.

There was a bond and love between us heAthens I have never felt, I am so thankful I was there Wed - Sat, I am also honored and so proud to be a part of this DBT citizen's brigade, some of the best folk I have ever met...
Put that drinking jacket on and enjoy a little fun...

Sian-of-the-dead

Post by Sian-of-the-dead »

This was our first Homecoming, and won't be our last. I don't really want to comment on the shows themselves; I've tried several times but for me, there are no words.
We met some incredible people during our time there, people who showed kindness and love all weekend. Thank you all so much for welcoming us with open arms and making us feel part of your very special community, especially at a time of shock and grief. You're all unbelievably awesome.
Truck Log Auditor extraordinaire.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Jonicont wrote:

Funny the things you focus on. In the stream, you couldn't hear Cooley's backing vocals toward the end there. On this--Jesus.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Remember how I said that Athens might have made my wife a convert? So today, I put music on as we're getting ready for people to come over for the Super Bowl. Normally, in this situation I put on Wilco or Ryan Adams or something that we both like. As I go to the stereo, she says "how about some Truckers? ". :D :D :D
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Remember how I said that Athens might have made my wife a convert? So today, I put music on as we're getting ready for people to come over for the Super Bowl. Normally, in this situation I put on Wilco or Ryan Adams or something that we both like. As I go to the stereo, she says "how about some Truckers? ". :D :D :D

Conquering the world, one person at a time. :D

HOW ABOUT SOME TRUCKERS!!!!!
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

It was a very very sad day. Four years ago today one of the dearest members of our DBT family passed away. The show that followed that night was one of the most surreal events I had ever been to. Everybody I could see on the first 4 or 5 rows had tears in their eyes. The band came out, I don' t think anybody said a word. They played about 90 mins and left.
sloansimpson wrote:http://southernshelter.com/2013/01/driv ... 013-01-18/

Drive-By Truckers - 2013-01-18
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) The Living Bubba
02) Gravity's Gone
03) The Three Great Alabama Icons
04) The Southern Thing
05) Where The Devil Don't Stay
06) I'm Eighteen
07) Love Like This
08) Heathens
09) Birthday Boy
10) Girls Who Smoke
11) Women Without Whiskey
12) A World Of Hurt
13) People Who Died*

* w/ Todd McBride - vocal
David Barbe - guitar, vocal
Paul McHugh - guitar
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Swamp wrote:It was a very very sad day. Four years ago today one of the dearest members of our DBT family passed away. The show that followed that night was one of the most surreal events I had ever been to. Everybody I could see on the first 4 or 5 rows had tears in their eyes. The band came out, I don' t think anybody said a word. They played about 90 mins and left.
sloansimpson wrote:http://southernshelter.com/2013/01/driv ... 013-01-18/

Drive-By Truckers - 2013-01-18
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) The Living Bubba
02) Gravity's Gone
03) The Three Great Alabama Icons
04) The Southern Thing
05) Where The Devil Don't Stay
06) I'm Eighteen
07) Love Like This
08) Heathens
09) Birthday Boy
10) Girls Who Smoke
11) Women Without Whiskey
12) A World Of Hurt
13) People Who Died*

* w/ Todd McBride - vocal
David Barbe - guitar, vocal
Paul McHugh - guitar
To this day I've never been able to listen to that show. I remember bits and pieces and can tell you for sure that it was the bravest performance I've ever seen coming in the face of tragedy. I remember the people though and the shared grief. We can call it a Rock Show but it was really a wake. We all needed it that night and Craig would have wanted us to be there all together. I will always remember it and always miss our friend.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Yeah, I remember not knowing if there would be a show. I am not sure the show helped anybody or anything.....but I do know it had to go on.....the crowd sang The Living Bubba as much to support the band and to remember Craig. It was surreal...I remember being thankful that it was short, but know it had to go on.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

This was the show when I met the majority of the people I know from this board. I didn't know Craig and minutes after arriving in Athens and meeting Jonicont for the first time he told me what had happened. It was sad watching so many people being sad. And the whole thing was a whirlwind. I met a whole bunch of people, saw them grieve, the band came out and played and then were just gone, I walked back to my room and went to bed, and then had to get up and drive back home the next morning. I had only bought tickets for one show that year and it was the first Homecoming my wife was unable to attend with me. As great as Homecoming is there was a lot about that one that was sad.

At the same time I made a lot of new friends that night.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Like Dean, I've never listened to this show. Been sitting on the computer for 4 years. Aud +SBD--mixed it yesterday

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xs7p8tcme24b ... kEZYa?dl=0
Always go to the show

Clams

Post by Clams »

Jonicont wrote:Like Dean, I've never listened to this show. Been sitting on the computer for 4 years. Aud +SBD--mixed it yesterday

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/xs7p8tcme24b ... kEZYa?dl=0
I've listened to it a handful of times, including again yesterday. It definitely packs a punch. Songs like Living Bubba, the instrumental 3 Icons, Women Without Whiskey, Heathens and, good lord, World of Hurt and People Who Died. Listening to it, you can actually hear the pain in the words and music. But not like being there, where I remember you could actually hear, see and feel it right in front of your eyes. That weekend was my first trip to Athens and what a whirlwind it was.

And speaking of departed friends, anyone else notice Unclefrank23's post right above where Swamp bumped the thread yesterday?

They were all my friends, and they fucking died

Think about Grand Canyon, lift my glass and smile

Indeed.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Clams wrote:
And speaking of departed friends, anyone else notice Unclefrank23's post right above where Swamp bumped the thread yesterday?

They were all my friends, and they fucking died

Think about Grand Canyon, lift my glass and smile

Indeed.
I absolutely noticed and read all of Ben's posts on that weekend. Yesterday was day for some sad memories and warm thoughts about fallen friends.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved