Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Fool No Where

Re: Athens Homecoming Shows January 17, 18 & 19 2013

Post by Fool No Where »

it feels like the roof is about to be blown off of this dump!
Having a broken heart wears you out.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

wow. what the shit? amazing.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

3 Great Alabama I Icons?!?
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

theco.Ikeep

Post by theco.Ikeep »

Sounds like they're all getting some sadness off their hearts...sounds great!!
Loved Living Bubba opener.

theco.Ikeep

Post by theco.Ikeep »

RevMatt wrote:3 Great Alabama I Icons?!?

?? Really? I just heard the Southern Thing

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

I heard what Matt heard. I kinda wish they'd gone ahead into it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:I heard what Matt heard. I kinda wish they'd gone ahead into it.

It was just the instrumental parts to it. Sort of an extended jam. Reminded me a bit of the type of improvisational things Craig did.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

roland

Post by roland »

Weird set. Played about about 15 songs, and now the techs are taking down the equipment. No encore.

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

roland wrote:Weird set. Played about about 15 songs, and now the techs are taking down the equipment. No encore.

That's better than I would have been able to do. Condolences to the band and all in the extended Trucker family. You lost a worthy man who touched many just by being who he was.

jarofdirt

Post by jarofdirt »

What did Patterson before he said "that's it for tonight"? Couldn't quite make it out.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Amazing intense set. Wish it would have been longer but understandable under the circumstances. People Who Died was the most fucking epic thing I've ever seen/heard.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Holy Mother of God! Craig Lieske got waked tonight. I'm sure he doesn't need the help, but he's now heading towards the pearly gates w/ Saturn rockets strapped to his back.

I figure the 40 Watt holds about 1,000 people. In 5 years, at least 10x that number will claim to have been there.

The band played with a picture of Craig behind them bearing the words "We Love You Craig." Patterson has probably never spoken fewer words from the stage but never has he said so much.

What an incredible night. The symbiotic relationship between band and audience allowed each to achieve a measure of catharsis as the emotion in the building was so thick it was tangible and the need for everyone to wrap themselves around Craig's sudden and stunning loss urged everyone to higher and higher levels.

The night scores a 4 on the BTB scale (4 songs in I had my money's worth) but that doesn't begin to tell the tale.

The only possible opener was "Living Bubba" and sure enough Patterson was not going to miss on that one. A beautiful version w/ the crowd incredibly into it from the first note, as if everyone in the room on stage or in front of it needed to sing that song and wring every last emotional note from it.

Next, Mike Cooley grabbed "Gravity's Gone by the throat and didn't let go. Intense doesn't begin to describe it. Guitars were being shredded right and left. I've never seen Cooley and Hood so animated singing backup/harmonies on each other's songs but both of them were totally into it throughout the night.

Then came a curveball - An instrumental w/ Patterson wailing away on guitar. I'm glad at least one other person (standing far apart from me) thought that we were hearing the legendary '78 intro version of "Prove it All Night" by Bruce Springsteen. That's a compliment. But it turns out that it was an instrumental version of "The Three Great Alabama Icons." Again, the intensity, the sheer power of the band is hard to describe, but it was like waves of energy coming off the stage. The mental image i had was of Jimi or Cream fronting those huge stacks of Marshall amps or maybe the last scene in The Italian Job when the Napster finally gets the stereo of his dreams, turns it up to 11 and literally blows the clothes off his dream woman.

Next, a stellar version of "The Southern Thing" with the band driving the crowd wild and the crowd giving back all its energy to the band and the thing just getting higher and higher. I saw a pretty incredible version of the Southern Thing in Portland, Maine a yr or 2 ago and I called it a statement of purpose as the band made its initial foray into the northern reaches of New England. But it's clear that "The Southern Thing" is, well, southern. My goodness i got chills (and a sore throat singing at the top of my lungs).

So much for not doing country songs w/out neff's pedal steel: I swear I saw the ghost of Hank Williams walking across the stage as Cooley gave "Love Like This" the most amazing reading i've ever heard. And I'm talking the real Hank, Hank the First.

"World of Hurt" was the amazing Montclair version only better. Just stunning and totally emotional. I know i wasn't the only one to get tears in his eyes multiple times on that song alone (like knowing when to roll the credits and it's great to be alive).

I have no idea what to say about the wonderful chaos that was "People Who Died", but my goodness the emotion was spilling off the stage in waves as the band was joined by David Barbe and crew members whose names i don't know. One can't even call lyrics like "they were all my friends and they died" symbolic, they are just dead on straight to the heart accurate and more tears flowed as things reached a crescendo that the band apparently knew they couldn't top. They left the stage, but the crowd stayed put. They turned on the lights, but the crowd stayed put. They started playing music, but the crowd stayed put. Eventually after about 15 or 20 minutes people reluctantly started to move towards the exits.

"World of Hurt" and "People Who Died" will now and forevermore be linked w/ Craig Lieske. The band could not have given him a finer tribute.

I'd have to guess that this was the shortest show in DBT's long career. But I'd also guess it was the most intense, emotional and extraordinary and if you were in the 40 Watt Club on 18 January 2013 you will never forget it.

RIP Craig Lieske.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sorry for the duplicate post.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

bnzz

Post by bnzz »

Very emotional show to say the least. I will say that in the 30 or so shows I have seen. I thought Cooley was the best I have ever seen from him. He was intense and his guitar playing was outstanding. RIP Craig

Clams

Post by Clams »

Amazing how many songs Patterson Hood has that were appropriate for a night like tonight. Yes they were dialed in, as expected. Hood and Cooley were on. I dont remember ever getting overcome at a concert before, but tonight I lost it during World of Hurt. For others it was Women Without Whiskey and some might have made it to People Who Died. But tears were flowing everywhere and pretty much everyone lost it at some point. I've never seen a show like this before. An honor and a privilege to have beared witness. RIP Craig.

Also- I rocked the night away with Fool No Where and I met Wood Duck. 8-)
If you don't run you rust

bigblockdodge

Post by bigblockdodge »

Have to agree, the shortest Trucker's show I have ever seen and the first without an encore. But it was a smoker, the band put the pedal down and didn't let up all night. I'll say this, no Neff means Cooley steps up and plays more slide guitar and the most extended leads since Jason left the band - I'm digging it.

Rip Craig.

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

http://southernshelter.com/2013/01/drive-by-truckers-40-watt-club-2013-01-18/

Drive-By Truckers - 2013-01-18
40 Watt Club - Athens, GA

01) The Living Bubba
02) Gravity's Gone
03) The Three Great Alabama Icons
04) The Southern Thing
05) Where The Devil Don't Stay
06) I'm Eighteen
07) Love Like This
08) Heathens
09) Birthday Boy
10) Girls Who Smoke
11) Women Without Whiskey
12) A World Of Hurt
13) People Who Died*

* w/ Todd McBride - vocal
David Barbe - guitar, vocal
Paul McHugh - guitar

theco.Ikeep

Post by theco.Ikeep »

Wow, that was quick! Thanks Sloan!!
What'd you think of the show tonight? Sounded heavy & deep from here.

TruckerTomer

Post by TruckerTomer »

beantownbubba wrote:Holy Mother of God! Craig Lieske got waked tonight. I'm sure he doesn't need the help, but he's now heading towards the pearly gates w/ Saturn rockets strapped to his back.

I figure the 40 Watt holds about 1,000 people. In 5 years, at least 10x that number will claim to have been there.

The band played with a picture of Craig behind them bearing the words "We Love You Craig." Patterson has probably never spoken fewer words from the stage but never has he said so much.

What an incredible night. The symbiotic relationship between band and audience allowed each to achieve a measure of catharsis as the emotion in the building was so thick it was tangible and the need for everyone to wrap themselves around Craig's sudden and stunning loss urged everyone to higher and higher levels.

The night scores a 4 on the BTB scale (4 songs in I had my money's worth) but that doesn't begin to tell the tale.

The only possible opener was "Living Bubba" and sure enough Patterson was not going to miss on that one. A beautiful version w/ the crowd incredibly into it from the first note, as if everyone in the room on stage or in front of it needed to sing that song and wring every last emotional note from it.

Next, Mike Cooley grabbed "Gravity's Gone by the throat and didn't let go. Intense doesn't begin to describe it. Guitars were being shredded right and left. I've never seen Cooley and Hood so animated singing backup/harmonies on each other's songs but both of them were totally into it throughout the night.

Then came a curveball - An instrumental w/ Patterson wailing away on guitar. I'm glad at least one other person (standing far apart from me) thought that we were hearing the legendary '78 intro version of "Prove it All Night" by Bruce Springsteen. That's a compliment. But it turns out that it was an instrumental version of "The Three Great Alabama Icons." Again, the intensity, the sheer power of the band is hard to describe, but it was like waves of energy coming off the stage. The mental image i had was of Jimi or Cream fronting those huge stacks of Marshall amps or maybe the last scene in The Italian Job when the Napster finally gets the stereo of his dreams, turns it up to 11 and literally blows the clothes off his dream woman.

Next, a stellar version of "The Southern Thing" with the band driving the crowd wild and the crowd giving back all its energy to the band and the thing just getting higher and higher. I saw a pretty incredible version of the Southern Thing in Portland, Maine a yr or 2 ago and I called it a statement of purpose as the band made its initial foray into the northern reaches of New England. But it's clear that "The Southern Thing" is, well, southern. My goodness i got chills (and a sore throat singing at the top of my lungs).

So much for not doing country songs w/out neff's pedal steel: I swear I saw the ghost of Hank Williams walking across the stage as Cooley gave "Love Like This" the most amazing reading i've ever heard. And I'm talking the real Hank, Hank the First.

"World of Hurt" was the amazing Montclair version only better. Just stunning and totally emotional. I know i wasn't the only one to get tears in his eyes multiple times on that song alone (like knowing when to roll the credits and it's great to be alive).

I have no idea what to say about the wonderful chaos that was "People Who Died", but my goodness the emotion was spilling off the stage in waves as the band was joined by David Barbe and crew members whose names i don't know. One can't even call lyrics like "they were all my friends and they died" symbolic, they are just dead on straight to the heart accurate and more tears flowed as things reached a crescendo that the band apparently knew they couldn't top. They left the stage, but the crowd stayed put. They turned on the lights, but the crowd stayed put. They started playing music, but the crowd stayed put. Eventually after about 15 or 20 minutes people reluctantly started to move towards the exits.

"World of Hurt" and "People Who Died" will now and forevermore be linked w/ Craig Lieske. The band could not have given him a finer tribute.

I'd have to guess that this was the shortest show in DBT's long career. But I'd also guess it was the most intense, emotional and extraordinary and if you were in the 40 Watt Club on 18 January 2013 you will never forget it.

RIP Craig Lieske.

Wow, great emotional review. Almost had tears just from reading it, especially when I saw they played "A World of Hurt" and I was lookin' at my tattoo on my arm with the lyrics "It's Great To Be Alive"...Thank you.
"I used to hate the fool in me, but only in the morning. Now I tolerate him all day long"

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Thank you Sloan and Bubba and everyone who helps keep us in the loop. Sounds like a heavy night.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

You can feel it in the recording.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

I've cried at concerts before, but never have I been so overwhelmed. I expected to lose it on "World of Hurt" (my favorite DBT song and the basis for my tattoo) but for some reason lost it on "Birthday Boy." It don't take smarts to learn to tune out what hurts more than helps.

Met a bunch of great people. Shared whiskey and waffles with new and old friends. Hugely emotional night and a stellar Rock Show at its core. We love you Craig, and we love you DBT.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

If you need to collect a dvd, please call me, 917 592 5560
Always go to the show

TDB

Post by TDB »

Whew......this weekend has been a real mind-fucker. And we still have ONE more show to go!
It's been an emotional roller coaster, but there's only one way to describe being in Athens this weekend: life affirming.
Big hugs to all and I'll see y'all tonight for the finale'.

BTW.....did anyone find my American Express card last night? I last had it at the merch stand around 9pm-ish :0(

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

TDB wrote:BTW.....did anyone find my American Express card last night? I last had it at the merch stand around 9pm-ish :0(

It's at the merch booth. I tried to catch you but you were gone, and I didn't see you again. I'll have it up there for you tonight.

Fucking hardest job ever.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

colodogdoc

Post by colodogdoc »

Jenn wrote:Fucking hardest job ever.

And you did an admirable job, especially considering the circumstances.

There are two words that come to mind to describe last night's show: anguish, and love. Looking around the room at so many faces, looking up on stage at the band, behind the bar at the bartenders (Craig used to work at the 40 Watt before he started working for DBT), so much anguish. But so powerful to feel so much love for a sweet, sweet man, and for this community and for the band that it adores. I don't know how Patterson got through World of Hurt. Last night was the single most intense musical experience of my life.
"Mamma always said electric guitars will give you herpes."

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Anyone happen to find a Holiday Inn Express key card last night? I'm pretty sure I lost it last night @ 40 Watt. Thanks

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Anyone happen to find a Holiday Inn Express key card last night? I'm pretty sure I lost it last night @ 40 Watt. Thanks

gordonlw

Post by gordonlw »

http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=561498

Drive-By Truckers
01/18/2013
40 Watt Club
Athens, GA

source: Neumann ak40 > lc3 > km100 (din) > Lunatec V3 > Edirol R-44 @ 24/48
transfer: SDHC card > PC > wavelab 6.1 > cd wave > traders little helper (flac level 8)

all editing (fades, Crystal Resampler (high), dither w/ iZotope Ozone 5) done in wavelab 6.1

*16bit/44.1khz fileset*

recorded and transferred by Gordon Wilson

A Team Dirty South Recording

01. The Living Bubba
02. Gravity's Gone
03. The Three Great Alabama Icons
04. The Southern Thing
05. Where The Devil Don't Stay
06. I'm Eighteen
07. Love Like This
08. Heathens
09. Birthday Boy
10. Girls Who Smoke
11. Women Without Whiskey
12. A World Of Hurt
13. People Who Died *

RIP Craig Lieske

* w/ Todd McBride - vocal
David Barbe - guitar, vocal
Paul McHugh - guitar

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Just got home.

Wow. I'm gonna post something a little longer later on but that show was one that I'll tell my daughter about.

I was only able to make one this year but me and dogstar were talking after it was over and he said, "If you were going to only get one, this was definitely the one you needed to here for." From his lips to God's ears.

Unreal. Intense doesn't begin to describe it. Emotional doesn't do it justice either.

Cooley got on a different level last night. They all did but I have never seen him play like that. He played that Baxendale like he was mad at it and was nearly snarling at times while he ripped into a song.

Bubba nailed it. You could swear the ghost of Old Hank was in the room on A Love Like This.

I haven't heard Women Without Whiskey sound like that in a very long time.

If you listen to the stream of the show, I'm sure you kind of hear what I'm talking about, but trust me, it's something you had to be there for to truly appreciate.

What went on right in front of me and Clams during World Of Hurt nearly brought me to tears.

Short set? Yeah.

But I doubt I'm ever gonna see a show that matches what I saw last night.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.