NYE run 2012-2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Rob1855

Re: NYE run 2012-2013

Post by Rob1855 »

Jonicont wrote:Patterson: welcome to the annual reinvention show at the 930 club

Nice to hear he's maintaining his sense of humor.

ccollum92

Post by ccollum92 »

Hm, very interested to see Jay's guitar work

Rob1855

Post by Rob1855 »

_3dimesdown Mark Lynn 2m
@DriveByTruckers #RockShow beat anything I ever seen @930Club . #ExitStageNeff pic.twitter.com/9Xf6z2Vk

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

Jonicont wrote:Lookout mountain. Jay shredding

:D
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

Rob1855

Post by Rob1855 »

Lookout Mountain, A Ghost To Most, and Marry Me...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

via uncle rickey
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Lookout mtn
Ghost to most
Everybody needs love
Marry me
Ronnie and Neil
72 (this highway's mean)
Living Bubba
Women without whiskey
Dead drunk and naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Steve McQueen
Get Downtown
Hell No I ain't Happy
Zip City
Let There Be Rock (with a line from 99 problems)

Three dimes Down
Buttholeville > State Trooper
Get Your Ass On The Plane
People who Died w/ Craig

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I got 99 problems but a Neff ain't one?

i kid, i kid

Rob1855

Post by Rob1855 »

Smitty wrote:I got 99 problems but a Neff ain't one?

I think the operative quote is "if you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you, son..."

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

a bitch ain't one
Always go to the show

TDB

Post by TDB »

Nice encore! Plus, Steve McQueen and Lookout Mountain as the opener?
Damn, Florida is nice....but, I wish I was in DC this weekend.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Jonicont wrote:a bitch ain't one

:lol:

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Well, I'm good and pissed now.

My phone was stolen by a punkass thug while I was riding the metro home.

Really ruined my day.

Phone? Gone
Custom Wood-carved DBT phone case? Gone forever.

That's what really pisses me off. I spent $120 to have that case made...and I'm sure my phone insurance won't cover it. I do have insurance on the phone and I really hope it covers theft...

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Oh no, Tyler, that's horrible! I'm so sorry & hope you weren't hurt.

The show was incredible. I haven't seen the band this happy & having so much fun in a while. Not that they were giving an unhappy vibe before, but tonight just had a different feel.
Jay can shred! Wow! They opened with Lookout Mtn. & he nailed it!
On multiple songs, he played both guitar & keys, running from one to the other as needed. Very cool to see.
The stage set up is different. Jay's keys are more up front & at an angle.
Matt P. is now between Patterson & Cooley except when he has vocals. He seems to be getting a bit more vocals, which is cool.
There is no backdrop, just a Wes Freed moon & the 2 Cooleybirds, one on either side of the stage.
Both Craig & Paul came out for People Who Died & they were both awesome.
I'm so fired up I'm not sure I can sleep but I should really try. Based on night one, I'll need my energy!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Tyler wrote:Lookout mtn
Ghost to most
Everybody needs love
Marry me
Ronnie and Neil
72 (this highway's mean)
Living Bubba
Women without whiskey
Dead drunk and naked
Guitar Man Upstairs
Steve McQueen
Get Downtown
Hell No I ain't Happy
Zip City
Let There Be Rock (with a line from 99 problems)

Three dimes Down
Buttholeville > State Trooper
Get Your Ass On The Plane
People who Died w/ Craig

Looks like a rocker. Way to continue on DBT.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks for the updates/reports. Wish I were there.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

There was an Alabama Ass Whuppin last night
Always go to the show

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

Let's hear a little more about the 99 Problems tease...?
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

gepman

Post by gepman »

"Let's hear a little more about the 99 Problems tease...?"

Ty,
Trying to "jog" my 46 year old memory on 4 hours of sleep...

During Patterson's intro to Let There Be Rock, relating the story how Dee Dee saved his life... He was talking about how rock and roll saved him, etc... the last thing he said was "I got 99 problems but a Bitch ain't one".

I looked off stage right and saw both guitar techs busting a gut.

Pretty obvious to whom that line was directed at.

Great great show. Wow, can Jay play gee-tar...

Rob1855

Post by Rob1855 »

Saw from the twitterverse that Mark Lynn was standing next to the soundboard... Was anybody taping last night? Really curious to hear how Jay sounded.

SteveInCTNeedsADrink

Post by SteveInCTNeedsADrink »

I was obviously bummed as was everybody with Neff's sudden departure on 2 days notice before this 3 night run. It definitely put a damper heading down here for the weekend as I was worried about how the shows would sound with no pedal steel or Neff's great guitar playing. Then last night happened & the Truckers came out with a fury. They completely kicked our asses from the first note of Lookout Mountain all the way to the end of People Who Died. Just a non-stop assault on the ear drums that was simply amazing. My ears are still ringing right now at 10 am as I sit here typing this half-drunk still. Jay stepped up to the plate & knocked it out of the fucking park. It was great seeing him step into the spotlight after such a douche move by Neff. The Truckers proved it yet again as they do through whatever changes or turmoil they endure that they are simply the greatest fucking rock band in the world. I've seen them close to 30 times & last night was one of my favorite shows I've ever seen. Fear not for the future because as long as Cooley & Patterson are together magic happens on that stage & last night was simply amazing. So stoked for tonight to get my ass rocked off yet again! I've still got Steve McQueen buzzing in my head

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

SteveInCTNeedsADrink wrote:I was obviously bummed as was everybody with Neff's sudden departure on 2 days notice before this 3 night run. It definitely put a damper heading down here for the weekend as I was worried about how the shows would sound with no pedal steel or Neff's great guitar playing. Then last night happened & the Truckers came out with a fury. They completely kicked our asses from the first note of Lookout Mountain all the way to the end of People Who Died. Just a non-stop assault on the ear drums that was simply amazing. My ears are still ringing right now at 10 am as I sit here typing this half-drunk still. Jay stepped up to the plate & knocked it out of the fucking park. It was great seeing him step into the spotlight after such a douche move by Neff. The Truckers proved it yet again as they do through whatever changes or turmoil they endure that they are simply the greatest fucking rock band in the world. I've seen them close to 30 times & last night was one of my favorite shows I've ever seen. Fear not for the future because as long as Cooley & Patterson are together magic happens on that stage & last night was simply amazing. So stoked for tonight to get my ass rocked off yet again! I've still got Steve McQueen buzzing in my head

:D :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

mark

Post by mark »

Great show last night. Rocked hard from the beginning. The boys looked like they needed to play a rock show. Always good when they start out with Lookout Mountain. What a blast of energy!

batigol22

Post by batigol22 »

must have missed this...who was the bouncy kid playing bass? liked jay gonzalez on the guit, but, man...ghost to most was different w/o the pedal steel. otherwise, nice to hood and cooley kinda forced to do more lead work. house mix was a little wonky.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

batigol22 wrote:must have missed this...who was the bouncy kid playing bass?.

Matt Patton. Has played w them since last spring.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

After reading all your posts about Neff on this thread and the Neff quits thread, I am completely confused as you all make great points. But, I suspected that DBT was going to bring their A game tonight just to remind us that they weren't going anywhere, and they, certainly, did that. They smoked from the start. Plus, the 930 was packed tight and crowd was pumped, it was, completely, electric. I should mention there were a lot of Deer Tick fans as well and they did not dissappoint.

I got to see them do Steve McQueen for the first time. Plus, Patterson had stories leading in to the Living Bubba and Dead Drunk and Naked. His "Living Bubba" lead in seemed particular significant given events. Essentially, using the Gregory Dean Smally story to remind himself what great fuckng life he has. Both Patterson and Cooley seemed to be in great moods, and they all seemed to be having a great time with Jay going back and forth from guitar to key boards. I also should mention that Slipkid was putting on a show as well and was getting everyone around him pumped.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Some of y'all need to have a little more faith in the ROCK SHOW. Not naming names.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

gepman

Post by gepman »

Rob1855 wrote:Saw from the twitterverse that Mark Lynn was standing next to the soundboard... Was anybody taping last night? Really curious to hear how Jay sounded.

Taper (Alex) in the Balcony center and another in front of the soundboard... Mark I guess.

I thought the mix sounded great in the balcony center, though it seemed like something was a tad "off" on the first few Cooley songs only. Seemed like his mike was a bit out of synch or something, was weird...

gepman

Post by gepman »

Jonicont wrote:There was an Alabama Ass Whuppin last night

Thought Jay "killed it". IMO, no need for another band member... They really brought it last night.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

About 40 seconds into Lookout Mt. Jay started shreddin' in a way I did not know he was capable of (which was only ignorance on my part {and I shoulda known better}). Any apprehensions I had about how the boys would handle the new void in the lineup were immediately eradicated. It was, as GG & Steve said, a smokin' set in an electric atmosphere. The 9:30 was packed tighter than I can ever remember it being (no doubt in some part due to the Deer Tick fans {and I was very impressed w/Deer Tick by the way}). The only time I noticed the lack of pedal steel was at the end of Ghost to Most (and maybe a little durin' Living Bubba). Matt P. had a million dollar smile plastered across his face the whole night & nobody can stay down too long when confronted with the infectiousness of that. Steve Fuckin' McQueen, oh yeah. And People Who Died, w/Craig & Paul, was balls to the wall (at one point Patterson chugged a whole bottle of water & then sprayed it 2 or 3 rows deep). Looked like he was havin a good time. Can't wait for night 2.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light