NYE run 2012-2013

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

denverdawg

Re: NYE run 2012-2013

Post by denverdawg »

Don't post often, but thanks to everyone for all the updates. I'm a self-avowed pedal steel addict, but regardless - I'm getting pumped about tonight. I saw the guys in Boulder earlier this year when Neff had to miss time, so I knew that the show would go on - albeit without some of the trademark steel parts.

Anyhow, after more than a week with my wife's family in Virginia, the song Thanksgiving Filter would be an apt description of how I feel. Politics, religion, finance - all the things that shouldn't be discussed - those get discussed around here. Fun times for the holidays! Thanks to my wife for signing on for a quick jaunt / escape up to DC. This will actually be her first night apart from our 4 1/2 month old daughter, so I hope she can pull it off. Her twin sister is accompanying us, so if you see a lucky guy with two identical tall blondes, say hey. I'll hope to be down front.

PS - we left Denver for Wilmington, NC this year - I guess I need to change my screen name...

Yours in Rock,
Seth

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

CooleyGirl wrote:Holy fuckballs, that was something else!
Lee Fields was mesmerizing, fabulous & just plain knocked it out of the park. UR & I said after he & the Expressions played we could just go home, it was that good. We were ready to buy every record at the merch booth but by the time we got there Lee etc. had left so no dice. Guess we'll be ordering online.

You can get his latest album off amazon for $6 something right now. I dl'ed it about a month back after someone here was raving about him
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Jonicont wrote:From Saturday night. Thanx to Cooleygirl and Uncle Rickey for doing some handheld

Rock show...rock show...i need a bitchin' rock show!!!

Thanks for that :D
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Grantus

Post by Grantus »

I loved the end last night, with the band members walking off one by one in a wash of feedback to end Angels and Fuselage.

denverdawg

Post by denverdawg »

Yep - that ending never gets old. Especially when there is one more show the next night, and it leaves you aching for more.

RMD

Post by RMD »

No offense, but I think Cooleygirl is on the books with DBT. I cannot remember a negative review ever. :lol: Thanks for the updates.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

RMD wrote:No offense, but I think Cooleygirl is on the books with DBT. I cannot remember a negative review ever. :lol: Thanks for the updates.

That's because she is not a pedantic dicktard nitpicker.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Take it easy. It was a joke. And I am in the same camp. Honestly never caught a bad DBT show.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

RMD wrote:Take it easy. It was a joke. And I am in the same camp. Honestly never caught a bad DBT show.

My thoughts exactly. ;)
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

RMD wrote:No offense, but I think Cooleygirl is on the books with DBT. I cannot remember a negative review ever. :lol: Thanks for the updates.

ha ha ha! :lol:

I do love DBT but no, I'm not on their books.

I have criticized openers, at least, so it's not all sunshine from me. Most notably I went on a bit of a rant in the Athens thread about Langhorne Slim, worst opener ever.

Honestly, I did not like Deer Tick either. Since they are from Providence they have played a lot of shows near us, so we've seen them a bunch of times. When they first started out, it was 3 people. The lead singer, the drummer, and the bass player. When we first saw them, the bass guy was on an upright bass. They really seemed to be going somewhere. Then I saw them (without UR, ironically), at this awesome festival in Ithaca. They were on a bill with The Hold Steady, the Felice Brothers and Rural Alberta Advantage. It was a 1 stage festival so each band played one right after the other. Deer Tick played, and John was so drunk he didn't play well at all. The Felice Brothers played a song or 2 with Deer Tick and it was chaos. As rowdy as the Felices are, it doesn't effect they're playing.
The next time I saw Deer Tick, they had lost the upright bass, which was a shame, and switched to the bass we saw on the 29th. They added a second singer. The album they put out at that time was pretty good, but not as good as the album before. Their latest album is just plain not good, IMHO. I've been feeling like they have lost me, and DC confirmed it. They came out wearing this crazy makeup which didn't make any sense at all. They had these ghost decorations on either side of the stage, and one of the monitors had a mouth with teeth drawn on it in what looked like a black sharpie. John looked like he was a mess. He didn't look healthy, he was wearing the most bizarre outfit, kind of like pjs except they didn't match at all. Their set had a few good songs, but the rest just didn't draw me in. I'm sorry, but they've lost me.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

Just saw the Lookout Mountain clip. Fuck yeah Jay!

vwmule

Post by vwmule »

Second night: http://archive.org/details/dbt2012-12-30

P.S. -- nice work to all involved in making that sweet video from first night.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Best "Where the Devil Won't Stay" since Jason left.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

gepman

Post by gepman »

vwmule wrote:Second night: http://archive.org/details/dbt2012-12-30

P.S. -- nice work to all involved in making that sweet video from first night.

Alex,

As I type this, re-living / enjoying Night #1, burned to CD, cranked on the stereo... Sounds great!

It was a pleasure meeting you on Saturday night, picking your brain regarding taping, and guarding your stuff while you made beer and piss runs...

Thanks again!

Enjoy Night #3!

vwmule

Post by vwmule »

Nice meeting you as well -- and thanks for the help. Can't wait for tonight.

gepman

Post by gepman »

LastLawson wrote:I thought most of the songs (from the first night) were great, with the exception of Zip City. But I'm just picky.

I think this qualifies as Blaspheme at the Salem Church of Christ!!! :lol:

Grantus

Post by Grantus »

As I was leaving the 9:30 last night, some guy behind was bitching that the encore was too long. :?

Miallmon

Post by Miallmon »

So is Luther guesting tonight?

gepman

Post by gepman »

Grantus wrote:As I was leaving the 9:30 last night, some guy behind was bitching that the encore was too long. :?

Fucknut... "First World" DBT Problems...

mark

Post by mark »

gepman wrote:
LastLawson wrote:I thought most of the songs (from the first night) were great, with the exception of Zip City. But I'm just picky.

I think this qualifies as Blaspheme at the Salem Church of Christ!!! :lol:

Zip City is one of my favorites. But to each their own. :D I went to church at Salem Church of Christ a few times in the early 70's while a preteen when my mom was shopping for churches, before I became a heathen. Loved all the SRO songs on Saturday night. The boys just flat bring it.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

No, you misunderstood. Zip City is one of my favorite DBT songs. I just felt that the night one version was a bit off. But like I said, I'm picky.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

gepman

Post by gepman »

LastLawson wrote:No, you misunderstood. Zip City is one of my favorite DBT songs. I just felt that the night one version was a bit off. But like I said, I'm picky.

Sorry, couldn't resist. ;) Its all good. May be my favorite Cooley song (Uncle Frank a close second)...

I think Cooley is using a little of the phrasing / pacing from his recent solo shows in the rock shows now... lyrics seem a bit sped up (compared to the music)... But what do I know!?!?!

Rob1855

Post by Rob1855 »

gepman wrote:I think Cooley is using a little of the phrasing / pacing from his recent solo shows in the rock shows now... lyrics seem a bit sped up (compared to the music)... But what do I know!?!?!

I noticed that as well.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Rob1855 wrote:
gepman wrote:I think Cooley is using a little of the phrasing / pacing from his recent solo shows in the rock shows now... lyrics seem a bit sped up (compared to the music)... But what do I know!?!?!

I noticed that as well.

He's been doing the "Willie Nelson phrasing" for a couple years now.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Smitty wrote:Best "Where the Devil Won't Stay" since Jason left.

I tend to agree.

There are a lot of things about this lineup that sound better.

Since Neff, rejoined from the live end the music sounded prestinely clean. I missed the rawness of old rock. I'm not dissing Neff's playing, but I fell in love with this band due to the rawkessness controlled, chaos they brought to the stage.

I'm looking forward to Athens.

gepman

Post by gepman »

Smitty wrote:
Rob1855 wrote:

I noticed that as well.

He's been doing the "Willie Nelson phrasing" for a couple years now.

That's a good way to put it.

I think I've just noticed it more with all of the solo shows of late...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'll miss the pedal steel, but from the recording, Jay held his own on guitar - also dig that like Neff did after Jason, Jay doesn't repeat the licks verbatim.

btw, is that Jay switching from slide to keys in Birthday Boy? If so, that's extremely impressive.

thedudeabides

Post by thedudeabides »

Cubfan06 wrote:
Smitty wrote:Best "Where the Devil Won't Stay" since Jason left.

I tend to agree.

There are a lot of things about this lineup that sound better.

Since Neff, rejoined from the live end the music sounded prestinely clean. I missed the rawness of old rock. I'm not dissing Neff's playing, but I fell in love with this band due to the rawkessness controlled, chaos they brought to the stage.

I'm looking forward to Athens.

This!!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

buford stick, 3 alabama icons, 72, margo & harold, love like this, world of hurt... wow

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

The Buford Stick
Uncle Frank
The Company I Keep
Gravity's Gone
The Three Great Alabama Icons
The Southern Thing
72 (This Highway's Mean)
Steve McQueen