DBT Tracks - Week # 3 - Heathens

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Clams

Re: DBT Tracks - Week # 3 - Heathens

Post by Clams »

lajakesdad wrote:When I first heard it, I thought the first line was somethin 'bout the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fifth 'bout to get drunk

Obviously you were listening in el garaje. :lol:
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

cortez the killer wrote:I don't necessarily think the verse is meant to be read as a tradtional paragraph. I see each line as another piece to the puzzle.

that's how i look at most of their music.

RMD

Post by RMD »

Easily one of my fav Patterson songs. The first line says it all. Brilliant. Then to follow it up with all the other lines already mentioned in this thread, wow.

DragthelakeMike

Post by DragthelakeMike »

i actually ended a DBT 2 disc compilation i made for my mum with this song, saw it as a very appropiate song.
Drag the lake Charrrlie, Charlie drag the laaake.

GivenToVisions

Post by GivenToVisions »

I guess I'm just a perv brain b/c I always read the lines in question about "paw" and "getting tight" and being "outgrown" as a multi-generational incest story...the storyteller impregnated his daughter, now she's balling her son (he grew up and it's getting tight) and now Daddy's pissed and jealous and pushing harder b/c he's been "outgrown"- i.e. junior's got it going on a little more in the size department...

I like the symbolic interpretations you guys offered about the relationship metaphors too, but after wondering about those lyrics awhile when DD first came out, the incest interp suddenly hit me listening to it on the highway one day and I don't know if I can shake hearing it that way now...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Zip City wrote:that's quite an interpretation. can't say I ever read any of that into it.

not to mention quite a first post...
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

GivenToVisions

Post by GivenToVisions »

i was on 9B for a couple years- I won one of the photo contest entries back when BTCD came out... I just been too busy with a new career last year+ to check in with you guys...DBT still and always at least half my playlists though and I always appreciate the rare times I can come back here...

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

GivenToVisions wrote:I guess I'm just a perv brain b/c I always read the lines in question about "paw" and "getting tight" and being "outgrown" as a multi-generational incest story...the storyteller impregnated his daughter, now she's balling her son (he grew up and it's getting tight) and now Daddy's pissed and jealous and pushing harder b/c he's been "outgrown"- i.e. junior's got it going on a little more in the size department...

I like the symbolic interpretations you guys offered about the relationship metaphors too, but after wondering about those lyrics awhile when DD first came out, the incest interp suddenly hit me listening to it on the highway one day and I don't know if I can shake hearing it that way now...

:shock:
ain't no static on the gospel radio

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

GivenToVisions wrote:I guess I'm just a perv brain b/c I always read the lines in question about "paw" and "getting tight" and being "outgrown" as a multi-generational incest story...the storyteller impregnated his daughter, now she's balling her son (he grew up and it's getting tight) and now Daddy's pissed and jealous and pushing harder b/c he's been "outgrown"- i.e. junior's got it going on a little more in the size department...

I also never got this from it, but then again, the album does open with The Deeper In.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanx for getting me off the hook in "zip city", GTV :D

I don't think anybody's mentioned the switch from "forgiven" to "forsaken". Mostly i think it just sounds really cool, but i also think there's a lot of subtlety there. Not needing to be forgiven by the neighbors is sorta pretty standard good ole boy posturing, but not needing to be forsaken by his wife/girlfriend seems to me to be saying a little more than that, maybe "you don't understand me as well as you think you do" in addition to the more obvious "fuck you." OTOH, perhaps it's time i got a life.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

wonder what happened after daughter drank beer in bulldozers.

joelle

Post by joelle »

dime in the gutter wrote:wonder what happened after daughter drank beer in bulldozers.

probably had to do laundry...
to "get the red stains off her socks"
:shock:
woah.what might everyone read into that? :lol: :lol: :lol:
virgins, incest, stepfathers, 'dirt', domestic chores, male/female roles in the household
or
just tough laundry ;)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

the greatest song ever written.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Smitty wrote:the greatest song ever written.

And why don't we have the hairy-eyeball-what-the-fuck-you-talkin'-bout-Willis emoticon uploaded yet? "Heathens" is such a great fucking song, but c'mon man.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

cortez the killer wrote:

And why don't we have the hairy-eyeball-what-the-fuck-you-talkin'-bout-Willis emoticon uploaded yet? "Heathens" is such a great fucking song, but c'mon man.

I stand by my statement. Ain't art subjective?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Smitty wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

I stand by my statement. Ain't art subjective?

Art, opinions, & criticism are 100% subjective. I still request that emoticon.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I've finally come around to this one.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Iowan wrote:I've finally come around to this one.

Never really heard it as a tune that had to grow on me. To my ears it's always been top shelf stuff, not just for the DBTs but for Patterson as well.

Hud

Post by Hud »

I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

About a year and a half ago, I left home and moved with my wife and kids to another state where my wife's parents live. For the past 18 months I'd been lamenting the loss of my Heathans (good buddies) at home. I've made a new buddy in my new state, and tonight he invited me out to a little watering hole. Tonight "Heathens" came on the jukebox, and I probably felt more at home than I've felt in 18 months! There's something familiar and comforting about Neff's pedal steel and Patterson's voice.

I came home and my wife was happy I'd made a buddy and didn't even have a wrinkle in her forehead!

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

lajakesdad wrote: When I first heard it, I thought the first line was somethin 'bout the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fifth 'bout to get drunk
That is fucking hilariously beautiful.

One of my all-time faves from Patterson.

gkow4three

Post by gkow4three »

Heathens!
I saw them at Cane's in Mission Beach, San Diego around 2006ish (with Son Volt).
I recall... I'd never really picked up on "Heathens" but that night they opened with it and it was just perfect.
I also remember that night Patterson talked about his kids prior to LTBR. My son was about 1 year old then and... it all connected.
After that night, Heathens became song #1 on my DBT car CD and... I always find it very comforting and fun to sing and think to.
Great song.
gk

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

litdimly

Post by litdimly »

Hey y'all - I'm probably the last to know but... the Oxford American Southern Music Issue Vol. 24 that was just issued includes Heathens on the companion CD ("Country Roots").