Tragic loss of DBT fan

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

CooleyGirl

Tragic loss of DBT fan

Post by CooleyGirl »

Luke and I were heartbroken to learn today of the death of our friend Mike McWhirter. We met Mike in November 2008, at the first Terminal 5 Rock 'n Roll Means Well show, where we learned that we'd probably been together at dozens of other DBT shows, despite his residing in Toronto and us in Connecticut. He was a rock pilgrim like us, and we became fast friends: we were pretty much attached at the hip at the last two January Athens weekends. We know many of you probably met Mike in Athens or elsewhere.

Here is a picture... Mike's the good looking one between Luke (aka uncle rickey) and me:

Another of our favorites from the 40 Watt: with his brother Elliott, Mike is on the right here in his best Cooley shirt:

Please keep Elliott and the McWhirter family in your thoughts and prayers.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Tragic loss of DBT fan

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Spoke with him in Athens for a long time. Really sad. Horrible news.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

This is the obit, even seeing it in black and white I can't believe it.
http://www.lifenews.ca/thespec/profile/ ... hael-david

Dixie Whiskey

Post by Dixie Whiskey »

Aw that's really sad. Sending good thoughts to his family and friends.

never going back
Location: You'll never lose your mind as long as your heart always reminds you where you left it.

Post by never going back »

How sad! Many thoughts and prayers to friends and family.
Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold...

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

I may really have to go have a cry now. Mike was one of the reasons I looked forward to Athens. A really great guy.
Elloit, I hope things will be well for you as soon as possible.
I'm out of words.Goodby Mike
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Just terrible. My condolences to his family & friends
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

R.I.P. Mike. Condolences to his family and friends.
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

RIP. Sounds like he was an awesome guy (w/great taste in music). Tragic.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Sad that I didn't have the pleasure of meeting him here in Athens.

Deepest sympathies..

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

So young!!! So tragic, my thoughts and prayers go to his family and friends. A gentle soul with a beautiful smile will be missed by all who were touched by Mike.

DragthelakeMike

Post by DragthelakeMike »

Im sad to hear, even tho i never knew of this guy but any DBT fan is a friend of mine, i send my condolences to his family and friends.
Drag the lake Charrrlie, Charlie drag the laaake.

roland

Post by roland »

Aww, damn. I remember talking to the Toronto Crew the last 2 Athens runs. Mike was a truly good dude. Waaaay too young to go. RIP.

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

Mike was a great guy. I had the pleasure of hanging out with him and Elliott during the last two Athens runs. In addition to DBT, he was a fellow fan of Neil Young and Pearl Jam. He told us that he saw the Halloween '96 show by Neil & Crazy Horse in Hamilton which is legendary among Neil fans.
CooleyGirl, would you mind posting the info for how to contact Elliott if 3DD folks would like to send condolences? Thanks.
The link below is to a Pearl Jam performance of their song "Light Years" from the Netherlands in 2000. As Mike was a PJ fan this song came to mind when I heard this awful news.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5cdLSYjKpzA
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

If you are interested in contacting Elliott, please pm me for his info. The family has asked in lieu of flowers please make a donation to a charity. With Mike's love of DBT, Uncle Rickey and I chose to make a donation in Mike's name to Nuci's Space.

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

Truly sad news. I enjoyed the many conversations we shared at the Days Inn, Cutters and the Rock Show.

I always looked forward to talking and hanging out with Mike and Elliott at the Athens Shows. Two of the most sincere, genuine peoples I've met, ever. I'm so sorry to hear about this loss.

RIP Mike and my condolences to Elliott and the rest of the McWhirter family.

meanjoegreen

Post by meanjoegreen »

WOW - this is very very sad news.......

I met Mike and his Brother Elliot in Athens this year. (Met them through Uncle Rickey and Cooleygirl) We talked like we knew each other for years......it was kinda amazing. Two great guys that I will never forget. My condolence to Elliot and his Family at this time of need. Elliot, CG, UR, and BillinCT - Please let me know if you need anything.

This is unbelievable news...........
Last edited by meanjoegreen on Mon Jun 07, 2010 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Sad news and a tragic loss for his family, friends and community.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

So sad to lose a member of the community. I remember meeting the sweet canadian brothers in Athens too.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

sg207

Post by sg207 »

That is so sad. I got to hang out with him and his brother the last two Athens runs, two good guys who were always having fun.

Cooleygirl, please pass my condolences on to Elliott and the whole family.

The world just got a little darker.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

RIP Mike
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Too soon.
Not forever, just for now.

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

Wow - he looks really familar. I think I met him at the Boston Paradise show a few years back. RIP.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

OtisTheBulldog wrote:Wow - he looks really familar. I think I met him at the Boston Paradise show a few years back. RIP.

If you mean Easter 2008 he was definitely at that one. It was one of our "ships passing in the night" moments, before we knew each other.

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

uncle rickey wrote:
OtisTheBulldog wrote:Wow - he looks really familar. I think I met him at the Boston Paradise show a few years back. RIP.

If you mean Easter 2008 he was definitely at that one. It was one of our "ships passing in the night" moments, before we knew each other.

I do. After seeing this pic I just remembered two blonde canadians hanging beside Ms. Bulldog & I and we talked briefly and I was impressed with him traveling down for the show.

At least the kid seemed to be enjoying life. Sorry I won't bump into him at any more shows. Condolences to any friends & family who might come across this thread.

tinnitus photography

Post by tinnitus photography »

damn, that's tough to take. my thoughts are with his family and friends.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Man ,,this is really sad sad news ... :(
Mike was such an amazing young man with
his whole future ahead of him ...I am just heart broken,
We met him a few years ago in Athens at the DBT
Homecoming and saw him and Elliot several times after
that...I have never seen him without a smile on his face.
Our prayers and thoughts are with you Elliot and your family.

R.I.P. Mike.
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

candy apple red

Post by candy apple red »

This is truly sad news about someone I only met once. On a family vacation to Vermont in March 2008, I plotted out our return route through Northampton Ma. to catch DBT at the Pearl Street Club. The next morning, I was loading up our car at the motel to leave after yet another fantastic show the night before when Mike and I simultaneously noticed that we both had DBT shirts. We talked about the show, other road shows we had seen and the fun music life of us "rock pilgrims". I boasted ( a little) that we were there from Maryland only to be trumped that Mike had driven down with his brother from Toronto and that they were headed to Boston for more shows. My daughter asked later about my friend in the parking lot and noted that we "seemed like old friends". That's how I felt the one time I met Mike because that's the kind of guy Mike was. This is a tragic loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
By way of brief intro, I'm a long time reader of 9B and now this forum but had to register to share about this loss. I've probably stood next to many of you at a DBT show at some point and just missed meeting some of you in Dewey Beach last week. I'm a good friend of loner333 and Bill in Ct , a recent friend of Barr Weissman, and look forward to posting to this forum in the future about something less heart- breaking. brian

joelle

Post by joelle »

candy apple red wrote:This is truly sad news about someone I only met once. On a family vacation to Vermont in March 2008, I plotted out our return route through Northampton Ma. to catch DBT at the Pearl Street Club. The next morning, I was loading up our car at the motel to leave after yet another fantastic show the night before when Mike and I simultaneously noticed that we both had DBT shirts. 8-) We talked about the show, other road shows we had seen and the fun music life of us "rock pilgrims" :D . I boasted ( a little) that we were there from Maryland only to be trumped that Mike had driven down with his brother from Toronto and that they were headed to Boston for more shows. My daughter asked later about my friend in the parking lot and noted that we "seemed like old friends". That's how I felt the one time I met Mike because that's the kind of guy Mike was. :P This is a tragic loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.
By way of brief intro, I'm a long time reader of 9B and now this forum but had to register to share about this loss. I've probably stood next to many of you at a DBT show at some point and just missed meeting some of you in Dewey Beach last week. I'm a good friend of loner333 and Bill in Ct , a recent friend of Barr Weissman, and look forward to posting to this forum in the future about something less heart- breaking. brian

welcome brian
i did not know mike and it is a very tragic loss indeed:
but your post, this memory of him, make for a beautiful tribute. simple and real and kind.

OtisTheBulldog

Post by OtisTheBulldog »

candy apple red wrote:This is truly sad news about someone I only met once. On a family vacation to Vermont in March 2008, I plotted out our return route through Northampton Ma. to catch DBT at the Pearl Street Club. The next morning, I was loading up our car at the motel to leave after yet another fantastic show the night before when Mike and I simultaneously noticed that we both had DBT shirts. We talked about the show, other road shows we had seen and the fun music life of us "rock pilgrims". I boasted ( a little) that we were there from Maryland only to be trumped that Mike had driven down with his brother from Toronto and that they were headed to Boston for more shows. My daughter asked later about my friend in the parking lot and noted that we "seemed like old friends". That's how I felt the one time I met Mike because that's the kind of guy Mike was. This is a tragic loss and our thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

Welcome here. You & I probably stood close to one another in Northampton. I hated the sound. This is what Mike & I talked about when we were in Boston...that and me being impressed that he drove from Toronto.