Richmond, VA: The National 10/26 and 10/27

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Richmond, VA: The National 10/26 and 10/27

Post by Penny Lane »

Last edited by Penny Lane on Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Slipkid42

Re: Richmond, VA: The National 10/26 and 10/27

Post by Slipkid42 »

Will that be your costume?
I'm in for these 2. Should be a blast. Any word on the openers?
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Bill in CT

Post by Bill in CT »

I'm in for both shows. My buddy Frank from Philly will be at both as well.
The closer you get to the meaning
The sooner you'll know that you're dreaming

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Bill in CT wrote:I'm in for both shows. My buddy Frank from Philly will be at both as well.

matching costumes, I'll text you suggestions..

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

Oh holy shit! That's some of the best news I've heard in a long time!!! :D :D :D the last Halloween shows DBT played there were incredible. Image

(3 shows in that theater in the same week ain't gonna suck. Taking the wife to see her boyfriend's solo show there on 10/23...not that there's anything wrong with that...;) )

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Damn, it's amazing what goes on when you unbuckle that Bible belt.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

lynne

Post by lynne »

My wishes for Richmond......that I get to hear One of the Days and that I get a show starting kiss. Will I get either one? ;)
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

lynne wrote:My wishes for Richmond......that I get a show starting kiss.

Line forms on the right, boys. And girls,too, i suppose. No discrimination 'round here.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

In for both nights. Happy Birthday to me.
Dave

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:

Line forms on the right, boys. And girls,too, i suppose. No discrimination 'round here.

damnit--i was totally going to offer! now that Strutter kissed me in front of the 40 Watt...i'm not so scared of it anymore i guess..

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

BEST news of the last few weeks!!! I couldn't do Asheville due to prior plans....couldn't do Athens since Mr. SCRed taking me on a Phish tour :roll: BUT: a DBT double header for my bday weekend....don't think he can say no!!! Can't wait to tell him that! :D

Would like to meet Lynne and many others. :)
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:BEST news of the last few weeks!!! I couldn't do Asheville due to prior plans....couldn't do Athens since Mr. SCRed taking me on a Phish tour :roll: BUT: a DBT double header for my bday weekend....don't think he can say no!!! Can't wait to tell him that! :D

This is going to be so much better than Phish!

dmwhalen--sweet way to celebrate your bday!

lynne

Post by lynne »

SouthCarolinaRed wrote:BEST news of the last few weeks!!! I couldn't do Asheville due to prior plans....couldn't do Athens since Mr. SCRed taking me on a Phish tour :roll: BUT: a DBT double header for my bday weekend....don't think he can say no!!! Can't wait to tell him that! :D

YES! Won't miss you this time like DC. Very excited to finally meet you and your birthday weekend. The ladies of 3DD are gonna have some fun!
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Everything's locked! I ended up booking a room at the Omni for $112/night. It's about a half mile from the National but a friend that went to Richmond said that there's a lot more going on in the way of bars and restaurants, etc.

Are there cabs to be had at 1 am? and/or is this area of Richmond safe enough to walk the .6 miles after the show?
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Penny Lane wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:

damnit--i was totally going to offer! now that Strutter kissed me in front of the 40 Watt...i'm not so scared of it anymore i guess..

One of the few blurry images that stuck with me from that night. :lol:
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Thanks, Gaetezi! I bought tickets today and booked a room at the Omni yesterday. The rate of $112 is still there, but you have to pay in advance! I think we stayed at the Marriott last time we went to the National, but my phone says the National to the Omni is about a half a mile walk. Richmond is like any other fairly large city, but this section of downtown should be fairly safe. I grew up in the "Richmond area", but far from the city in a little town called, (you guessed it) Beaverdam! I met a lot of you folks in Asheville last weekend and hope to meet more in October. I've seen DBT at the National several times, but I've only seen pictures of the KISS style make up. Only two months and a few days....

Everything's locked! I ended up booking a room at the Omni for $112/night. It's about a half mile from the National but a friend that went to Richmond said that there's a lot more going on in the way of bars and restaurants, etc.

Are there cabs to be had at 1 am? and/or is this area of Richmond safe enough to walk the .6 miles after the show?[/quote]

Clams

Post by Clams »

Beaverdam wrote:Everything's locked! I ended up booking a room at the Omni for $112/night. It's about a half mile from the National but a friend that went to Richmond said that there's a lot more going on in the way of bars and restaurants, etc.

Are there cabs to be had at 1 am? and/or is this area of Richmond safe enough to walk the .6 miles after the show?

No idea about the surrounding neighborhood, but I stayed at that Omni a couple of months ago and it's a really nice hotel.
If you don't run you rust

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Gaetzi wrote:Everything's locked! I ended up booking a room at the Omni for $112/night. It's about a half mile from the National but a friend that went to Richmond said that there's a lot more going on in the way of bars and restaurants, etc.

I drove up a couple years ago & saw a show there. Think i stayed at the Holiday Inn downtown which is prob equal distance as yr walk. Plenty of bars & stuff to walk around to & hang out before the show & had no problems walking (very drunkenly) back to the hotel afterwards. Seemed like a relatively safe all around it. The National is a great place to see DBT, i was extremely impressed with it.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Nice, glad to hear all of this! Thanks fellas.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

[quote="Beaverdam"]Thanks, Gaetezi! I bought tickets today and booked a room at the Omni yesterday. The rate of $112 is still there, but you have to pay in advance! I think we stayed at the Marriott last time we went to the National, but my phone says the National to the Omni is about a half a mile walk. Richmond is like any other fairly large city, but this section of downtown should be fairly safe. I grew up in the "Richmond area", but far from the city in a little town called, (you guessed it) Beaverdam! I met a lot of you folks in Asheville last weekend and hope to meet more in October. I've seen DBT at the National several times, but I've only seen pictures of the KISS style make up. Only two months and a few days....

I forgot to ask....
When I purchased concert tickets, through the DBT site, becuase this is the only way I know how at this point, I only saw an option to get them through will-call. Were any of you able to get print at home tickets? I would just hate to stand in a will-call line, then a line to get into the National. Any info?

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

Will-call was the only option for the 40 Watt shows as well, not sure why. We got there early enough each night that there was no line. But I would hope it would just be one line for these shows.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

lynne wrote:My wishes for Richmond......that I get a show starting kiss. Will I get either one? ;)

:D :D Working on it, lynne. Got a work thing that week, but I'm pretty sure we'll be able to do Richmond at least.

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Beaverdam wrote:
Beaverdam wrote:
I forgot to ask....
When I purchased concert tickets, through the DBT site, becuase this is the only way I know how at this point, I only saw an option to get them through will-call. Were any of you able to get print at home tickets? I would just hate to stand in a will-call line, then a line to get into the National. Any info?

There is a separate line for will-call and it usually opens much earlier than the venue does. I have been there many times and just walk up to the will-call window and then right into the venue. Unless you get there way ahead of time the lines are never a problem. I usually get there about 5 minutes after doors open, grab my ticket and walk right in.
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

In for both nights.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

This should probably be its own thread (Halloween w the DBT) but does the band always dress up for the 'Halloween' show? Do they usually throw in interesting covers? I would hope a lot of the crowd dresses up? I know I'll be flying in w costume in tow.

jarofdirt

Post by jarofdirt »

Don't post on here, much, but just bought my tickets to this show and booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn. I noticed they have a rather pricey valet parking service and was curious as to if there was any public parking garages nearby that may be a less expensive option? Thanks!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

jarofdirt wrote:Don't post on here, much, but just bought my tickets to this show and booked a room at the Hilton Garden Inn. I noticed they have a rather pricey valet parking service and was curious as to if there was any public parking garages nearby that may be a less expensive option? Thanks!
Hey dirt,
Free hometown advice. You made a good hotel choice. You are super close to The National. (The Richmond Marriott is very close also.) If you're a drinker, you'll appreciate the short drunken walk home after the show(s).

There are public parking garages near the Hilton Garden Inn on
6th between Marshall and Broad and on
Franklin between 5th and 6th.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Gaetzi wrote:This should probably be its own thread (Halloween w the DBT) but does the band always dress up for the 'Halloween' show? Do they usually throw in interesting covers? I would hope a lot of the crowd dresses up? I know I'll be flying in w costume in tow.

The band has dressed up for many of the Halloween shows in the past. They certainly did when I saw them Halloween of '04 in Chicago. In regards to a "musical costume," I don't believe that they go that route like Panic, Phish, Mule, etc. So I wouldn't expect more covers than a typical DBT show would provide.

jarofdirt

Post by jarofdirt »

Rocky wrote:
jarofdirt wrote:
Hey dirt,Free hometown advice. You made a good hotel choice. You are super close to The National. (The Richmond Marriott is very close also.) If you're a drinker, you'll appreciate the short drunken walk home after the show(s).

There are public parking garages near the Hilton Garden Inn on
6th between Marshall and Broad and on
Franklin between 5th and 6th.

Thanks, Rocky, much appreciated. I do enjoy a beverage or ten, should be a fun time. Much better than my thirty minute drive back to the cabin we had rented in Asheville.

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

IN.