Richmond, VA: The National 10/26 and 10/27

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lone Wolf1

Re: Richmond, VA: The National 10/26 and 10/27

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

sideburn wrote: Thanks Matt? for the pulls of moonshine off the flask, good stuff! As always, can't wait, for the next one.

yup. damn good corn likker! i was forced to take a few pulls off of it

RMD

Post by RMD »

Set list?

pbr man

Post by pbr man »

Fourth Night of My Drinking
3 Dimes Down
Puttin People on the Moon
Uncle Frank
Tornadoes
Ghost to Most
The Opening Act
Love Like This
The Righteous Path
Where the Devil Dont Stay
The Buford Stick
Gravity's Gone
The 3 Alabama Icons
The Southern Thing
Get Downtown
Hell No I Aint Happy

Encore
Birthday Boy
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up and Get on the Plane
Aint Talkin Bout Love
Angels and Fuselages

Highlight of the weekend had to be the GIANT FOAM COOLEYBIRD HAT

Clams

Post by Clams »

pbr man wrote:Fourth Night of My Drinking
3 Dimes Down
Uncle Frank
Tornadoes
Ghost to Most
The Opening Act
Love Like This
The Righteous Path
The Buford Stick
Gravity's Gone
The 3 Alabama Icons
The Southern Thing
Get Downtown
Hell No I Aint Happy

Encore
Birthday Boy
Let There Be Rock
Aint Talkin Bout Love
Angels and Fuselages

Jeez. That's pretty much perfect.
If you don't run you rust

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Absolutely nothing off of GGB?
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:damn! what a good goddamn time this weekend!

Was that cause you got SWATed? :o
I just want to stay in that better time and place....

Gang Green

Post by Gang Green »

Clams wrote:
pbr man wrote:Fourth Night of My Drinking
3 Dimes Down
Uncle Frank
Tornadoes
Ghost to Most
The Opening Act
Love Like This
The Righteous Path
The Buford Stick
Gravity's Gone
The 3 Alabama Icons
The Southern Thing
Get Downtown
Hell No I Aint Happy

Encore
Birthday Boy
Let There Be Rock
Aint Talkin Bout Love
Angels and Fuselages

Jeez. That's pretty much perfect.

What, what happened to the clam? Oh, you must have lost a bet with Penny Lane.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Gang Green wrote:
What, what happened to the clam? Oh, you must have lost a bet with Penny Lane.

snicker snicker...
In my blood, there's gasoline..

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

We had a great time at the Saturday night show, after seeing the setlist from Friday's show I sure wish we could have made it for it as well. Our first time at The National and it's really a nice venue. We got there around 7:40 and ended up one row back in front of Cooley, our first time on that side of the stage. For whatever reason in the 4 other shows we've been to we also end up in front of Neff.

I thought the show was very high energy and very enjoyable. Since this was only our 5th DBT show we get a few new songs we haven't heard live each show we go to. This time it was 3 Great Alabama Icons, Tornados, Love Like This, & The Righteous Path. Funny thing is as we were driving to Richmond Tracy and I were trying to guess the setlist and I said we we know we'll get Marry Me, Zip City, and Women Without Whiskey....and Cooley didn't play any of them lol. Wish we had more time to spend in Richmond, from the little bit we saw it seemed like a really nice city.

Can't wait until Athens in January!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

A few things about the set list Saturday Night. PPOTM third song in set the tone. Loud, angry and with a purpose. You knew they were going to play Tornadoes, right? I hope someone was taping because Love Like This was special. First time hearing the Buford Stick for me. And ol' Midnight Johnny was KILLING it during Let There Be Rock. Fantastic.

Met lots of cool folks this weekend. This can not be said enough. The Truckers have one of the best, friendliest fan bases around. Bar none.

Overall, an incredible weekend.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:
sideburn wrote: Thanks Matt? for the pulls of moonshine off the flask, good stuff! As always, can't wait, for the next one.

FYI--On the internet the substance in the said flask is referred to as "Peach Creek Water"--we gotta "watch out for Beuford". I rode in the cab with y'all (North Carolina crew-Sideburn) and enjoyed meeitng you but didn't get to the show till late on Saturday. I felt like it all came together this morning when I got in my car to drive my kid to daycare and "Let There Be Rock" was on Outlaw Country; we didn't sing no ABC's this morning on the drive. Great weekend! My wife was with me Friday night, and she was amazed I knew so many folks...good to meet you 3DD'ers that I'd never met previously and good to see some old friends. Thanks to admin for keeping this site up and allowing a place for like-minded fans to meet one another. Oh Matt is not on 3DD even though. I told Matt that he (and his creek water) are discussed on here; he is, however, on the Facebook-Hethans page.

Till the next ROCK SHOW!!!!!!!!!

lynne

Post by lynne »

Absolute perfection - especially Saturday. It was fantastic to see Cooley enjoy himself so much at a show. The hat definitely was a highlight as was Cooley tapping Patterson on the butt. Cant remember a show where I've smiled and laughed so much! The band was spot on both nights. Saturday night's crowd was great too! It was wonderful to see so many friends and meet some new 3DDers. As always, a very special thanks to Guinness for making the weekend as wonderful as it was. Now to be patient until New Years Eve!

lotusamerica

Post by lotusamerica »

That bitch Sandy made me get stuck in Virginia Beach finishing up parts of a renovation project that would've been ruined by the storm if we hadnt stayed and finished them, so I missed Friday + after party altogether and didn't even make it back to Richmond until after the JRoddy set on Sat. Looks like I missed some fun! But that sat night show was great, so at least I got my fix... And not a bad week overall, Springsteen, Truckers and Rundgren, so no complaints, but it would've been great to catch up with everyone and hang out at some Richmond haunts...

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

Lone Wolf1 wrote:

My Richmond buddy filled my flask out of his jar Saturday and I did share the tasty goodness with the Lone Wolf.
That was an awesome weekend. Great music, great people, worth spending 6 hours in the airport Sunday trying
to catch a standby ride out of RVA once my Monday flight home was cancelled.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Finally got Mrs. Slip to go on a road trip. Promised her we'd sit in the balcony, so we caught Friday's show from up there. Great sound & a different perspective. It's like watchin' a loud rockumentary. It was all well & good, but a little leisurely for my taste. The show itself was outstanding. The band always turns it up a notch for Richmond & when they opened w/Lookout Mtn. I knew the shit was on. Maybe they caught J. Roddy's frenzied set & figured they'd better come out firing on all cylinders. They didn't disappoint. Penny Lane had told us earlier (at Penny Lane Pub), that the band had new road cases. I asked if they were pretty. "Damn pretty", said Penny. Mrs. Slip looks @ us like we're wackjobs. I explain to her that it's a song (which she shoulda known as many times as she's heard it). Sure enough they played it for her & she was in on the big secret. Patterson called out some asswipe I couldn't see from the balcony during Box of Spiders. Later, he tonguelashed him again & said "I'm up here singin' about my dead relatives & you're down there actin' like a dick" (or something like that). I guess that shut him up. They played WWW & another personal favorite, Santa Fe & a rare appearance (and killer version) of 18. Great crowd sing along @ the end of Zip City & a thumpin' Buttholeville capped the sizzling, but relatively short (by Trucker standards) first set. I say first set 'coz the encore was really a 2nd set. Every song I'd think the next song would be the last song & they kept playin' songs that I knew wouldn't be the last one. After Play It All Night Long I really wasn't sure; but when Patterson grabbed the Patron & passed his guitar off I knew what was comin'. uncle rickey would be sippin' Patron. Sure enough, another raucous People Who Died closed the show w/the usual suspects gettin' to scream into the mike (and a pang of envy passed through me in the rafters). It was a damn good show from any perspective & Mrs. Slip thoroughly enjoyed it (she loved J. Roddy, too). She was too pooped for the Cous Cous, though; so we called it a night. Not before we got to see some smirking jerk get bodily removed from the National. They disrupted the rhythm of the drywall bucket drummer dudes & they told him to not come back. I hope I never see his stupid shit eatin' grin again. The bass player & drummer from J. Roddy saw my Orioles hat & like good Baltimore boys, they opened up & let me come back in & buy the last T-shirt which had a picture of the baseball card where Billy Ripken has 'Fuck Face' written on the bottom of his bat (the original card had slipped through the cracks somehow & was out for public consumption, before it was taken outta circulation). The shirt somewhat placated my Cous Cous envy. Those J. Roddy guys were cool & I will wear my Billy shirt the next time I see them.

Mrs. Slip surprised me by sayin' she would try the front for night 2. I wasn't gonna argue & figured she'd at least last through J. Roddy. First we picked up Bill & Frank from across the street @ the Hilton Garden & went to Buz & Ned's BBQ for lunch. I had catfish & a Spaten pumpkin beer & Bill had an Arrogant Bastard. We hooked up with Jonicont (who I can't thank enough for his special delivery) & ur & CG & fistfight & Penny Lane. I also got to meet the elusive Lone Wolf & he is a damn fine gentleman. We made a side trip to Deep Groove & I got the Flying Burrito Bros. (Penny said she likes Hot Burrito #2 better than Hot Burrito #1) & the Small Faces & DBT's 3rd Man record. Dropped the kids (Bill & Frank) off @ their hotel. Walked to the Capitol City Ale House & had a Terrapin Pumpkin beer. They had quite the selection & a cool chilly ice slot for your beer glass that ran the length of the bar. We made our way to the Gibson Grill for the early entry program. Broke bread w/Cooley & EZB (in a manner of speakin') as they were a coupla tables over. Cool deal, as we got to eat, drink & get the rail. Of course Tyler & ur were even at the front of that little line. Mrs. Slip hung well in the full blown face melt that is the front row. We were close enough that J. Roddy woulda bled on us if he gashed his head on that piano (a distinct possibility). He & the Business put on a great show & he was visibly pissed when he said they had time for a coupla more & the drummer told him they only had time for one. He slammed those keys & flung his hair back & forth w/a vengeance on the finale. Love that guy.

Mrs. Slip was still game so we stayed in Cooleyville. Out he pops w/a humongous Cooleybird hat & all bets were off. Cooley Girl was right in front of us in the special videographer section. She worked her butt off so that others might later enjoy the show. I can attest to that. Mitt Romney got no love durin' People on the Moon & everyone around me (except Mrs. Slip) knew all the words to Uncle Frank. Got to hug Mrs. Slip & the rail durin' Love Like This & that was special. They cranked up Righteous Path & Devil & Buford Stick & Gravity's Gone before playin' the one song I once promised Mrs. Slip she would never have to hear if she ever came w/me. She hates Alabama Icons & makes me skip it, if it comes up. Sure enough, she shoots me the evil eye & I'm like all excited 'coz I can cross it off my bucket list. They switched it up a bit; but it was still pretty fuckin' awesome. Even Mrs. Slip didn't seem to mind. They bust into Southern Thing & then Get Downtown & finally Mrs. Slip tells me she's had enough & is headin' for the balcony. I tell her I'll join her for the encore. Glad I stayed 'coz Cooley put back on the Cooleybird hat for Hell No & I got a coupla good shots. That shit was ridiculously good. Conceded the rail to Bobman (who was dressed like a half Elvis impersonator half chicken) & his lovely lady, Kari (who I can actually swap panty stories with). I knew they would make good use of that prime real estate. Hit the smoke porch & ran into lynne (who was dressed as a hotter than Angie Dickinson SWAT girl [handcuffs & all]) & BC (who was elegantly flamboyant as a Can-Can dancer). I got to meet BC's main squeeze, Lou (who I woulda liked even if he wasn't a huge Deep Purple fan). Also ran into Benji (who is hilarious) & Jenny (who I can also swap panty stories with). Small world. I refresh my drinks (I've been leavin' most of the drinkin' out to keep the story movin') and head to the balcony. Stop @ the sound booth & get in the middle of the flask that LBRod & Lone Wolf are passin'. Fire in the hole. Saw Penny (who looked like she may have hit the flask) & fistfight & Big T & Jonicont (they were filming from the rear). Found Mrs. Slip by Let There Be Rock. Will have to admit that those balcony seats were pretty cozy. Couldn't chairdance through Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love, though. That one got me on my feet again. A & F was it's usual surreal awesomeness (except for the part where Cooley was sportin' the Cooleybird hat behind EZB @ the end). The lights come on & another great show is over. Sigh.

We were sittin' down from John & Big T's mom, so we got to meet that fine lady. What a trooper. We made our way to the merch table so I could get Jay & Patterson CDs. Said goodbyes to a lot of great people. Met some die hard Trucker fans incl. Jeff from Vancouver (who had camped his way from Cleveland to Pittsburgh to Richmond) & Mark from Maryland (who I burnt one with outside the Marriott late Sat. night). I met beaverdam, who is a great guy. Sorry you only caught the encore Sat. night, bro. Even that was worth the trip. I also got to spend time with my Left Coast soulmate LBRod & his cool buddies & my good buddy Athens Joe. Joe was dressed as Forrest Gump Sat. night (complete w/Smiley face towel) and I thought he was just any other weird lookin' Trucker fan @ first glance. He is a master of disguise. He hasn't been feelin' too well lately, so it was good to see him out & havin' some fun. Great to see PBRman & guinness & lotus & Tyler too. I met a bunch more folks & sorry if I forgot you. Wish I coulda met everybody. You people really are the best. Thanks for makin' Mrs. Slip (Paula) feel right @ home. She may be a heathen yet.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

^^^^ Now THAT's what I'm talkin' about! Take notes, all you lucky bastids going to the NYE shows.

And if that's leaving out the drinking parts, I don't want any part of your hangover, slip.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

bubba, my hangovers have hangovers.

lynne

Post by lynne »

Where can we get the dvd? Footage of the hat is priceless!

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

lynne wrote:
Lone Wolf1 wrote:damn! what a good goddamn time this weekend!

Was that cause you got SWATed? :o

yup. got SWATted real good like! 8-)

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

wow skipkid. what a summation. you are also a very fine gentleman. look forward to seein' y'all again

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Here's some pix. Sorry I didn't get any costumes.

J. Roddy & the Business:
Mrs. Slip on the rail:

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Truckers & Cooleybird Hat:

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

Great post and pictures slipkid42---You did a wonderful job narrating and it sounds like you and the Mrs. had a wonderful weekend! I would kill to see the tape of Saturday's show--hope the tapes are not underwater at Jonicont's house! He said he lost power several hours ago so everyone send up mighty prayers for him as well as all of our heAthen brothers and sisters in the middle of the mess! (Rev Matt is also getting blasted and in the dark) Thanks to all of you who worked so hard taping the show--can't wait to see the awesome result of your efforts! Have a good night everyone and stay safe!
Last edited by alquina on Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:52 am, edited 2 times in total.

Flea

Post by Flea »

Funny stuff: I was grooving with Lynne both nights and didn't even know it!
Now it's dark.

Vincent

Post by Vincent »

Overall another fine DBT weekend. Loved RVA. Great food - Eat at Millies!. Great vinyl.

Met quite a few of you and it was our pleasure. This is an exceptional community.

Rail in Cooleyville N1 and Center Balcony N2. It was nice to mix it up, but it's hard to sit through a rock show.

In my brief time as a fan, I've yet to see these guys even come close to mailing it in. Great shows.

Bring on 2013.
Dave

Foddy

Post by Foddy »

Best line of Saturday's show from Patterson: "And today, George Wallace's grandson is a a Drive By Truckers fan. Such is the duality of the Southern Thing."

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

This was my favorite Richmond stand ever. And nothing blew up and nothing leaked(that I know of). Audio and video evidence coming soon. Also Saturday was the five year anniversary of the last night of The Dirt Underneath tour and that is hard to believe.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

mark lynn wrote:This was my favorite Richmond stand ever.

This is a strong statement coming from Mark Lynn. (Me too BTW) It was just so much fun and, outside of a few douchebags Friday night, well.....it was a great weekend to be alive.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Gaetzi

Post by Gaetzi »

My girlfriend and I had a phenominal weekend all around. Both shows were smoking start to finish, we had some great meals and I've never come across a city of more friendly people. I'd have to give the nod to Friday, likely just because of the setlist, but the Truckers brought it all weekend. Loved the National as well. Great sound, good amount of space and I never had to wait for beers or the bathroom. That just doesn't happen.
When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Gaetzi wrote:I never had to wait for beers

This is a blessing and a curse!!!
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County