Best DBT show you ever caught

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lone Wolf1

Re: Best DBT show you ever caught

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Not entirely sure it wasn't last weekend in Asheville, trouble is which night?

my 1st show was Smilefest 2005. i've been to 20+ shows since then and these past 2 shows are about the best for me. of course i was somewhat sober so i remember everything. about 33 more hours til the next rock show! :)

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Erdlivz wrote:My first was at Southgate House on 3/26/05. Knocked my socks off. Can't find the setlist on OOTD. Heartless Bastards opened.

The Variety Playhouse show on 3/12/10 was ridiculous.

That Southgate show was amazing, I remember Jason going out into the crowd and standing on a table during LTBR. Out of 40+ shows, that one is in the top 3 or 4

Erdlivz

Post by Erdlivz »

rlipps wrote:
Erdlivz wrote:My first was at Southgate House on 3/26/05. Knocked my socks off. Can't find the setlist on OOTD. Heartless Bastards opened.

The Variety Playhouse show on 3/12/10 was ridiculous.

That Southgate show was amazing, I remember Jason going out into the crowd and standing on a table during LTBR. Out of 40+ shows, that one is in the top 3 or 4

The Drifter and Whiskey Bottle took me to that show. They raved about DBT for months after going to the Dirty South shows during the summer of 2004 in Chicago. I was physically spent after that show. I sat on the front lawn slope afterwards and couldn't hear, stand or talk. They blew the roof off. I couldn't believe what I saw that night.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

One show that always stands out for me is Brown's Island in Richmond in 2007. As great as the band remains, there was just that element with Jason that will never be replaced. That was the last show I saw with him, and, man, it was an amazing show in one of my favorite concert settings.

I don't think I've read a mention of this year's show in Wilmington, but that honestly might be the best DBT show I've seen in five years. The venue was amazing. The weather was perfect. The band was in good spirits. And possibly the biggest reason was the lack of shitheads in the audience. The crowd was far more respecting of everyone around them than what has become the DBT crowd norm. The 930 Club, The National, The Jefferson Theater, etc. are awesome, but the jackasses around you take away from things a bit. Too many people who come to DBT shows think they have to be so fucking drunk they lose all control of themselves, and that starts to wear on you after a while. Wilmington had a very strong crowd, but there wasn't any elbowing or pushing to contend with. It was just a great night to enjoy the music when I'd almost forgotten what it was like to go to a DBT show and just be able to enjoy the music without any fucking bullshit from people around you. That made it tremendous.

Really, when I think about it, the shows that stand out the most for me had smaller crowds. I think that really makes a difference. When I have the space to spread out and really get into the music, I can fully appreciate DBT.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Not entirely sure it wasn't last weekend in Asheville, trouble is which night?

Based on the recordings I would say night #2. But I wasn't there, and a rock show is much more than just the sound, so...

But; MAN, how that Matt guy can pump the bass!!! Hope they keep him in the band till HC 2013 so I can go and have my guts ripped out.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

09Gamecock wrote:Really, when I think about it, the shows that stand out the most for me had smaller crowds. I think that really makes a difference. When I have the space to spread out and really get into the music, I can fully appreciate DBT.

I have difficulty picking an absolute favorite; however, the show at Hampden-Sydney College in October 2011 is one of my favorites. I got a kick out of seeing them some place so familar; it was almost like DBT played my backyard. Plus probably only ten to thirty people were at the concert at its beginning, but this didn't deter the boys from putting on a great show. Plus, since I live only about thirty mintes from this venue, pretty much all of my friends and family were there. I can't quote it, but I remember reading a comment on this forum about that show basically saying that DBT couldn't have been faulted for giving a half-hearted performance that night due to the small crowd, but they didn't....it was like they played a really good priviate party for my friends, me, and a few others. I originally became interested in DBT, beucase a few years after I graduated from HSC, I noticed they were playing there; this was one of the last shows with Jason (I think); I've seen it on the internet, but I really wish I would have made that one. However, the show with Jason was inside and the one this past October was particularly cool, beucase it was played outside on a foggy night.

Also while the shows in Asheville this past weekend were great, the ones from a few years ago in 2010 will always hold a special place in my ear and heart. Those shows gave me a whole new appreciation for some songs. I wish I could be in Athens this weekend...who knows maybe on Monday, I would be writing about a "different" favorite show. I've never been to Athens but want to go to the Fourty Watt one day!

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Been to Athens several times myself but I've yet to see the Truckers on their hometurf. I went to Athenfest a few years ago (maybe 2006?) when they were headlining but had to be back in NC on Monday for work so I had to miss their Sunday set.

Chest Rockwell

Post by Chest Rockwell »

Great thread - enjoying reading about all these shows.

Completely agree that the first time you see a band can have a lasting impression and stick in one's mind as "the best". 5/02/06 at Cain's in San Diego was my first time seeing DBT. Woke up feeling sick, but took a PTO from work and felt much better by show time. They opened with Heathens and built the show into a hurricane of amp buzz. The band played a hell of a show while winning over a typically apathetic/non-energetic SD crowd that was screaming and raising their drinks in the air by the end. Glad I caught a Jason era show.

Fast forward 6 years and this past March at the Fillmore in SF was such a great gig. Seeing a band when they really aren't promoting a specific album seems to lead to more interesting setlists and well-paced shows in this music fan's opinion Loved hearing the swampy groove of Goode's Field Road for the first time too and Matt's enthusiasm on bass was fun to watch all night. First proper rock show after becoming a dad back in Dec. and it was great to shake the cobwebs off and enjoy the aromas of spilt beer, crowd sweat and copious amounts of glaucoma medicine. Never noticed any recordings of this show surface...hopefully it does.

Looking forward to catching Mr. Hood at Hardly Strictly Bluesgrass this Fall.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

09Gamecock wrote:One show that always stands out for me is Brown's Island in Richmond in 2007. As great as the band remains, there was just that element with Jason that will never be replaced. That was the last show I saw with him, and, man, it was an amazing show in one of my favorite concert settings.

Hey gamecock. I think you have your dates mixed up. That show was the first I ever saw (and did it ever kick ass) but Brown's Island June 2007 was right after Jason left the band.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Both shows at this year's summer homecoming last weekend are on the shortlist for the best shows ever caught. The way they ended Friday's show with "Angels and Fuselage" alone was amazing. Each band member, one at a time, laid down his guitar on the amp so it fed back, took a hit of Jack Daniels and left the stage. Brad was the last one there, playing the beat and punching the shit out of the giant bass drum until he, too, stood up, took a hit of Jack and left the stage. All that was left was the bottle of Jack and a mess of guitars feeding back. Alsum!
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

The next one I see.
Keep calm and have a cigar

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

Probably my favorite was the Booker T & the DBTs show at the Variety Playhouse.

mgsooner

Post by mgsooner »

I had seen the band a couple of times previous but both shows were abbreviated sets. One was at ACL Fest and the other was at SXSW. This was my first taste of a full blown rock show. I will never forget how the place exploded when the band broke into Lookout Mtn. I had never witnessed energy like that at a show before. Dozers & Dirt acoustic with every single person in the crowd singing along was amazing. So many good things about this trip. Jason was still in the band, my future wife and I were just starting to get serious and made the 5 hour drive from Tulsa, etc. Just a night I will never forget.

Date: 2006-10-27
Venue: New Daisy Theater
City: Memphis
State/Country: TN

1. Lookout Mountain
2. 72 (This Highway's Mean)
3. Never Gonna Change
4. Ronnie and Neil
5. One Of These Days
6. Feb. 14
7. Goddamn Lonely Love
8. The Night G.G. Allin Came To Town