DeKalb, IL 7/11

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

PeterJ

Re: DeKalb, IL 7/11

Post by PeterJ »

Leaving in about 1 1/2 hrs. Gonna be epic. Can't wait to meet al y'all.
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

brettac1

Post by brettac1 »

We'll be in the usual place as soon as we can.
Do you ever get tired of singin' songs
Like all your pain is just another fuckin' sing along?

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

I can now confirm that our crew will be staying at the Best West. We're running a bit behind but you can expect us to roll into the lobby by 3 or very shortly thereafter.

i have a feeling this might be the best one in awhile....

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Out the door in a bout 15 minutes!
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Patman

Post by Patman »

Just hours away from my first DBT show. I'm as giddy as a school girl

Patman

Post by Patman »

I'm assuming there is plenty of drunken debauchery to be had tonight?

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

you may assume this, yes.

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

danger, will robinson!

Fool No Where

Post by Fool No Where »

Man I wish I was goin' to this show. Ya'll do me proud and show DBT that Lincoln Land knows how to bring the fuckin' rawk!
Having a broken heart wears you out.

Given to Fly

Post by Given to Fly »

Hell of a time last night. Knew the place was small, but didn't know it was that small. Met Stevie Ray on the way out. Not sure how I didn't meet anyone else? Things got fuzzy real quick. On my way to work now, wait 'til they get a load of me today!

Quick recap in no order & not complete...

Carl Perkins (opener)
Heathens
Love Like This
Santa Fe
Girls Who Smoke
BDay Boy
Get Downtown
F'n Job
Ghost to Most
The Opening Act
Daddy Needs a Drink
Women w/o Whiskey
Bulldozers
18 Wheels
ZIp City
I Told You So
Lookout Mt

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

anyone? bueller? bueller?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Good to see everyone last night. Wish I could have made the night cap with you guys at Lord Stanley's afterwards. I made it into work and I'm currently hating my life right now.
Excellent setlist and they were absolutely on fire last night! Good bitter Patterson rant while kicking out a couple of guys which he thought were douche bags, although I didn't see what they had done.

Unfortuantely I didn't see any microphones. With this really small room, I thought that it would have been fun to hear this one again.

"Ain't Talkin' Bout Love!!!!!!!"

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Penny Lane wrote:anyone? bueller? bueller?

2X

what 20 people went to this thing and this is all we get!!!!! dudes seriously :D

StevieRay
Location: A rougher ride but I saw more interesting people there

Post by StevieRay »

What a show. I could not believe my ears to hear the Van Halen cover "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." Wow. The "18 Wheels of Love" was unexpected as well. Patterson announced that Chester's memorial service had been the day before, and, it was a moving rendition IMO. Cooley was hilarious right after that with his hand cupped to his ear for requests he goes: "I can't hear what the fuck you're sayin'" and, launches into a rousing "Marry Me." Also, GTF missed "Buttholeville," "Road Cases," and, "Puttin' People On The Moon" in his list above.

Wrekkr was MIA by mid-show. Man down. Apparently, he stepped outside the venue, and we think they would not let him back in due to intoxication (would be my guess). Sneaky and TC were able to get him on the phone after the show: but, he wasn't able to identify where he was for us to get him a cab back to the BW. Some of us stood in line for quite a while to get up front (GW from IA., Dee Dee, The Drifter, PeterJ, TC, Sneaky and his brothers, Dirt Pants & his crew, Joelle, Wrekkr, etc.). The place was just so small, that there wasn't much rail area...

A buddy of TC's and mine who is not on the board was with us as well. Our friend, who's name is Lester, had words with some miscreants who thought they deserved space by the rail (though, they had not been in line with us). Lester is not a man to tolerate transgressions upon his personal area. Super great guy: don't fuck with him though. At one point: Lester was the recipient of a sucker punch - possibly by someone he had told off; and, that was immediately noticed by Patterson who vociferously called for security to eject them all. I was standing by the bar as Les was shown the door by a couple of security guys. About five minutes later, Les comes jaunting back inside! I could not believe my eyes. Apparently - the guy who had sucker punched him inside had then proceeded to track Les down outside and did the same thing again out there right in front of the security guys and a ton of other people. Les told me he was ready to call the cops, but, didn't - and the guys at the door decided he deserved to be allowed back inside.
Last edited by StevieRay on Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

StevieRay wrote:What a show. I could not believe my ears to hear the Van Halen cover "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." Wow. The "18 Wheels of Love" was unexpected as well. Patterson announced that Chester's memorial service had been the day before, and, it was a moving rendition IMO. Cooley was hilarious right after that with his hand cupped to his ear for requests he goes: "I can't hear what the fuck you're sayin'" and, launches into a rousing "Marry Me." Also, GTF missed "Buttholeville," "Road Cases," and, "Puttin' People On The Moon" in his list above.

Wrekkr was MIA by mid-show. Man down. Apparently, he stepped outside the venue, and we think they would not let him back in due to intoxication (would be my guess). Sneaky and TC were able to get him on the phone after the show: but, he wasn't able to identify where he was for us to get him a cab back to the BW. Some of us stood in line for quite a while to get up front (GW from IA., Dee Dee, The Drifter, PeterJ, TC, Sneaky and his brothers, Dirt Pants & his crew, Joelle, Wrekkr, etc.). The place was just so small, that there wasn't much rail area... A buddy of TC's and mine who is not on the board was with us as well. Our friend, who's name is Lester, had words with some miscreants who thought they deserved space by the rail (though, hey had not been in line with us). Lester is not a man to tolerate transgressions upon his personal area. Super great guy: don't fuck with him though. At one point: Lester was the recipient of a sucker punch - possibly by someone he had told off; and, that was immediately noticed by Patterson who vociferously called for security to eject them. I was standing by the bar as Les was shown the door by a couple of security guys. About five minutes later, Les comes jaunting back inside! I could not believe my eyes. Apparently - the guy who had sucker punched him inside had then proceeded to track Les down outside and did the same thing again out there right in front of the security guys and a ton of other people. Les told me he was ready to call the cops, but, didn't - and the guys at the door decided he deserved to be allowed back inside.

holy sh-t

wrekkr went missing, Van Halen cover, 1 day post Chester memorial followed by 18 wheels of love, sucker punches..

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

StevieRay wrote:Wrekkr was MIA by mid-show. Man down.

Wrekkr: if you still have your glasses this morning, you can thank me for reminding you that you lost them the other night: *you took them off and put them in your pocket while we were still in line* "Fuckin' things are expensive" you said ...I can't help wondering, though, if later on you forgot you had them in your pocket, and could not effectively read the street sign to identify where you were for us to send help!
Last edited by StevieRay on Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.

The Black Canary

Post by The Black Canary »

Hot dam!!!! Looks like one hell of a show, night, evening, some debouchery going on there!!!!!

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

StevieRay wrote:What a show. I could not believe my ears to hear the Van Halen cover "Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love." Wow. The "18 Wheels of Love" was unexpected as well. Patterson announced that Chester's memorial service had been the day before, and, it was a moving rendition IMO. Cooley was hilarious right after that with his hand cupped to his ear for requests he goes: "I can't hear what the fuck you're sayin'" and, launches into a rousing "Marry Me." Also, GTF missed "Buttholeville," "Road Cases," and, "Puttin' People On The Moon" in his list above.

Wrekkr was MIA by mid-show. Man down. Apparently, he stepped outside the venue, and we think they would not let him back in due to intoxication (would be my guess). Sneaky and TC were able to get him on the phone after the show: but, he wasn't able to identify where he was for us to get him a cab back to the BW. Some of us stood in line for quite a while to get up front (GW from IA., Dee Dee, The Drifter, PeterJ, TC, Sneaky and his brothers, Dirt Pants & his crew, Joelle, Wrekkr, etc.). The place was just so small, that there wasn't much rail area...

A buddy of TC's and mine who is not on the board was with us as well. Our friend, who's name is Lester, had words with some miscreants who thought they deserved space by the rail (though, hey had not been in line with us). Lester is not a man to tolerate transgressions upon his personal area. Super great guy: don't fuck with him, though. At one point: Lester was the recipient of a sucker punch - possibly by someone he had told off; and, that was immediately noticed by Patterson who vociferously called for security to eject them all. I was standing by the bar as Les was shown the door by a couple of security guys. About five minutes later, Les comes jaunting back inside! I could not believe my eyes. Apparently - the guy who had sucker punched him inside had then proceeded to track Les down outside and did the same thing again out there right in front of the security guys and a ton of other people. Les told me he was ready to call the cops, but, didn't - and the guys at the door decided he deserved to be allowed back inside.

I know Lester well....I had moved from the floor to the balcony to cool off a bit and didn't see the sucker punch happen. Glad Patterson booted that asshole.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

Penny Lane wrote:

Wrekkr was MIA by mid-show. Man down. Apparently, he stepped outside the venue, and we think they would not let him back in due to intoxication (would be my guess). Sneaky and TC were able to get him on the phone after the show: but, he wasn't able to identify where he was for us to get him a cab back to the BW. Some of us stood in line for quite a while to get up front (GW from IA., Dee Dee, The Drifter, PeterJ, TC, Sneaky and his brothers, Dirt Pants & his crew, Joelle, Wrekkr, etc.). The place was just so small, that there wasn't much rail area... A buddy of TC's and mine who is not on the board was with us as well. Our friend, who's name is Lester, had words with some miscreants who thought they deserved space by the rail (though, hey had not been in line with us). Lester is not a man to tolerate transgressions upon his personal area. Super great guy: don't fuck with him though. At one point: Lester was the recipient of a sucker punch - possibly by someone he had told off; and, that was immediately noticed by Patterson who vociferously called for security to eject them. I was standing by the bar as Les was shown the door by a couple of security guys. About five minutes later, Les comes jaunting back inside! I could not believe my eyes. Apparently - the guy who had sucker punched him inside had then proceeded to track Les down outside and did the same thing again out there right in front of the security guys and a ton of other people. Les told me he was ready to call the cops, but, didn't - and the guys at the door decided he deserved to be allowed back inside.

holy sh-t

wrekkr went missing, Van Halen cover, 1 day post Chester memorial followed by 18 wheels of love, sucker punches..

he may have lost his phone, too...i got a text around 8:30 telling me the black keys were playing in the background..then nothing

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

Penny Lane wrote:he may have lost his phone, too...i got a text around 8:30 telling me the black keys were playing in the background..then nothing

The Black Keys, huh. LOL. The truly funny part, Penny, is: he definitely DID have his phone, and was answering it after the show around 1CST when Sneaky called him. We just couldn't make sense of where the heck he was. Complete fucking mystery how he could find himself somewhere so far away from the venue or the hotel (which were both on the same road about a mile apart)... Tragic, really, so close yet so far.

beagle001

Post by beagle001 »

Well, the boys from WI made it home about 6 this morning... it was a long long long trip tho.
Killer show, but some of my boys were disappointed with some of the other folks near the front who were quite rude, but other than that it was nuts!! Road Cases is one I've been waiting for. Post show we got a few pics with Neff, Shonna and Cooley that i will have to figure out how to post.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

StevieRay wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:he may have lost his phone, too...i got a text around 8:30 telling me the black keys were playing in the background..then nothing

The Black Keys, huh. LOL. The truly funny part, Penny, is: he definitely DID have his phone, and was answering it after the show around 1CST when Sneaky called him. We just couldn't make sense of where the heck he was. Complete fucking mystery how he could find himself somewhere so far away from the venue or the hotel (which were both on the same road about a mile apart)... Tragic, really, so close yet so far.

now i'm starting to worry :shock: :?

EDITED: just received a text, he's on his way home "It was a real doozi" (LOL)

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Can't add much to what StevieRay posted. Pretty much spot on. I did see said sucker punch though and it was bullshit. Glad Les got back in. Karma folks, karma.

It was great to see everyone, Joelle, Drifter, Drtpants, GW, Cubfan, Sneaky, wrekkr, the Waukesha contingent and a ton of other non-board DBT show regulars. Also great to have a chance to meet PeterJ and Dee Dee. Hope I didn't miss anyone but it really was a good time. We feasted before the show and a realy nice place courtesy of wrekkr and that was a good start. Yeah the evening got nuts at times, but damn was the band on fire! The setlist was a good as you'd want and after 35 shows when I get something I haven't seen, Ain't Talking about Love in this case, I'm pretty damned happy. After going MIA it was good to see wrekkr finally wander into the motel at 1:30 ish with a shit eating grin and some foul language. All was right again.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

totally great to see all you fucking assholes again. bottomless love.

when i post within 24 hours of a show it's usually a bit light in the coherence department. for this reason i'm usually more active on the board BEFORE a show rather than after. here goes anyway...

loved the setlist for what it was: yet another snowflake-unique set by a great rock-n-roll band. great moments galore and one of the more interesting shows i've seen them play from a pacing standpoint. it was a very Sticky Fingers kinda show. great to hear seldom played shit like Heathens, Road Cases, etc. Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love is always a fun cover to hear. I was surprised TC had never heard it. i think this was the first show I've ever seen that contained neither Let There Be Rock nor People Who Died. Ya gotta love a band that keeps throwing you curves(AND fastballs, changeups, and sliders for that matter) 30 shows in.

just so i don't let anyone down, here's the complaints and gripes that many of you have come to expect from me:

i thought we were going to get a 170-180 minute barnburner and we did not get it. whole thing clocked in at 2 hrs with a decent break before the encores which was actually a set almost as long the first. again, i thought it was a very subdued show. not in any negative sense but just the overall vibe. very few 5th gear DBT rockers were played and when one was played it wasn't followed up with another and maybe even another after that. that did not happen. the song choices were awesome but it was Love Like This, not Guitar Man. Road Cases, not Ronnie and Neil. Heathens, not Sinkhole. they took the mellow, downtempo , minor key fork in the road most of the time on this night. this was not at all a bad thing. but those of us who came expecting a sprawling marathon balls-out Rock Show were surprised in light of the fact that it looked like all the stars were aligned for such a set.

i saw the dustup in front. after you got more than three deep back from the stage there were a lot of uncool people. i would've jacked that dude too. he totally laid a cheapie on Les.

usually at small town shows it's pretty easy to go grab an armload of beers and get back up front but a lot of people would just not budge at all. i expect that at oversold Chicago shows but it was pretty bad last night. i can understand not letting some drunk asshole shove people around but why fuck with the poor bastard with 8 open containers of alcohol in his hands and mouth? make way, fuckers!

Otto's was a cool room and the beers were reasonably priced by rock club standards. Other than that i have nothing nice to say about the place. You shouldn't have a 9:45 start when there's no opening band. Nor should you be having people line up two hours before that while making sure they can get as mean drunk as they can get. Not smart. Human beings hate waiting in line. If you're going to make them do it, make them wait where they can't drink. i'm amazed there weren't a lot more fights given the large percentage of the crowd that was hopelessly drunk before DBT played a note.

hotel post-show was a hoot and a half. i held out for awhile but by three a.m. i was out of cigarettes and i'd been awake for 24 hrs straight and drinking for the last 12 or 13 of them. lots of really funny drunks roaming the grounds of the B-dub, wrekkr by no means the least hilarious. the were a few moments there where the pool/courtyard area looked like shore leave in Manila or something. sordid,drunken but somehow...cute.

if the bodily fluid that summed up the Vic show earlier this year was vomit, i think for DeKalb it was semen. i'll leave it right there.

PeterJ

Post by PeterJ »

i thought we were going to get a 170-180 minute barnburner and we did not get it. whole thing clocked in at 2 hrs with a decent break before the encores which was actually a set almost as long the first. again, i thought it was a very subdued show. not in any negative sense but just the overall vibe. very few 5th gear DBT rockers were played and when one was played it wasn't followed up with another and maybe even another after that. that did not happen. the song choices were awesome but it was Love Like This, not Guitar Man. Road Cases, not Ronnie and Neil. Heathens, not Sinkhole. they took the mellow, downtempo , minor key fork in the road most of the time on this night. this was not at all a bad thing. but those of us who came expecting a sprawling marathon balls-out Rock Show were surprised in light of the fact that it looked like all the stars were aligned for such a set.

That is the perfect summation of my thoughts. Thanks for getting it out for me. ;)
I'm only human, though I'm super at times.

beergut

Post by beergut »

I too was hoping for a longer show, but alas, methinks those days are long gone.

I did record the show, but since none of you assholes stopped by to say hi, I don't think I'll share it.
Just kidding of course. My main concern is that their were so many fans blowing that the recording may be shot. (dumbass me forgot my windscreens)

I thought the show was great! The Vic show in Chicago left an awful taste in my mouth which was removed last night. The majority of my issues were venue related rather than the band though.

Otto's-What a dive college bar. The line in the hot basement was BS, and I would have been pissed if we had gotten their any earlier than 8:30, but other than that thought it was a great place (even if it was a shithole) to see the band. We can only hope to see them in such a small place again.
for a few hours, I'm 19 years old and rock and roll is the only thing that matters.

joelle

Post by joelle »

In the wee wee hours your mind gets hazy

top ten all-time concert moment for me
show was all around aces.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Ain't Talking about Love

They performed this in SF on the night they headlined with the Hold Steady.
They tear that song up... i loved it.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

Y'all are as cool as I thought you'd be. Really enjoyed meeting and talking with you good folks. Seemed like a great show, although I'm not sure as that is the first time I've got shitfaced at a DBT show. That was one miserable drive home this afternoon.

StevieRay

Post by StevieRay »

dee dee wrote:Really enjoyed meeting and talking with you good folks.

Likewise DD. Fantastic to have partaken of your good company brother.