RIP Ben Rudin "UncleFrank23"

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lone Wolf1

Re: Truckin' With Ben Against ALS ***UPDATED FOR 2104

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

thanks for the reminder. sent off my donation

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Thanks so much for all the support from our friends here at 3DD. It is amazing how much DBT means to Ben and how all of you have touched our lives in ways that we will never forget. I have truly enjoy going to the shows not only for the music, but to see all of you. I will post pictures after Saturday. It is going to be an amazing day. The team is over 250 people and we have raised over $10,000 so that someday there will be a cure for this horrible disease.

Love to you all,
Becca
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

Clams

Post by Clams »

UncleFrank23 wrote:Thanks so much for all the support from our friends here at 3DD. It is amazing how much DBT means to Ben and how all of you have touched our lives in ways that we will never forget. I have truly enjoy going to the shows not only for the music, but to see all of you. I will post pictures after Saturday. It is going to be an amazing day. The team is over 250 people and we have raised over $10,000 so that someday there will be a cure for this horrible disease.

Love to you all,
Becca

Thanks for the update Becca. 250 people and $10k is awesome. Ben, hang in there buddy, we're all pulling for you. Good luck this weekend!
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Truckin' With Ben Against ALS ***UPDATED FOR 2014

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/benru ... 3714402758

This past weekend was amazing. The family and friends that came to the walk to show their support for the four of us will never be forgotten. Ang and Karla, you did a fantastic job on the reception and we can't even begin to put in words how much it meant to us. When you add up the donations to the ALS association, the shirt sponsors and the money that was donated to us, over $24,000 was raised. That is overwhelming! Thank you doesn't seem like enough, but we truly appreciate everyone's generosity and willingness to help. Hopefully someday there will be a cure!

Ben gave his all this weekend. He and I knew that a timeline was coming. The nurse waited to give it to us until after we spent time with all of you. Because Ben is getting dehydrated (he is no longer able to eat or drink) and his respiratory function is so week, he is in his final stages of life. The nurse said we will have between 5 to 10 days with him. He is ready. He has no regrets. He isn't in pain and we will make sure that he is comfortable through the entire process. I will try to update this site more frequently to keep everyone informed.

We love you all! Hug those Kids!

Becca
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/benrudin/journal/view/id/5397307bca16b43714402758

Awful. Just awful. I saw that about an hour ago and now I can't think of anything else. Makes me so damn sad.

To love is to feel pain, there ain't no way around it...

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Saluting you Ben. You and your family have been a profile in courage and the very definition of grace under pressure throughout this entire ordeal.

No, it's never enough, but $24K is a nice tribute to you and no doubt reflects the many friends you've made along the way.

In the back of my mind I was hoping to see you again in September when I'll be in St. Louis, but that is not to be. I will miss you, my friend. :cry: :cry:
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Glasses will be raised at Homecoming my friend. We will not forget
Always go to the show

blessedcurse

Post by blessedcurse »

Jonicont wrote:Glasses will be raised at Homecoming my friend. We will not forget

Indeed.

Very sad to hear this. Please know that your gentle strength has left a lasting impression in all of us. There has not been a day that I have not paused to think of you since I first met you at homecoming in January, 2013. Thank you Ben!
Most men lead lives of quiet desperation and go to the grave with the song still in them. - Thoreau

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

i love you Rudins

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Some many things I want to say, but just no words. It hit me like a kick to the gut and hasn't really let up all day.
Ben. I'm proud I got to know you, and even more proud I got to call you a friend. I know you gave your family everything they need to carry on.
You will NEVER be forgotten.

ALS fucking sucks.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

GW in IA wrote:Some many things I want to say, but just no words. It hit me like a kick to the gut and hasn't really let up all day.
Ben. I'm proud I got to know you, and even more proud I got to call you a friend. I know you gave your family everything they need to carry on.
You will NEVER be forgotten.

ALS fucking sucks.

Well said, GW.
As soon as I heard the news, tears were instantly shed, right there in my office at work. It hit me like a ton of bricks. I knew this was coming, but this is just way too fast. I hope a cure is found before any other people have to fight this horrific disease.
Ben, all I can say is that I'm happy we met and shared some fun times with this incredible band. I wish you and your family much love and support, and am sending you virtual hugs.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

I'm sorry to say that I just got a call from Rebecca, Ben's wife. Ben passed away about an hour ago. We are all saddened by this news, but of course so very glad to have known such a strong and sweet individual. Rock on, Ben.
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

:cry: :cry: :cry:

It was an honor, a privilege and a pleasure, Ben. At the end of the day, we all only live on in memories, and you created plenty.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Will there be a stream from any upcoming shows? If so it would be nice if we could all share a moment - of silence, or a toast or a cheer or whatever. I personally would appreciate a way to collectively mourn and honor Ben. I'm sure there are other ways as well.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

:cry:

Clams

Post by Clams »

Oh man. So sad about this.

Cubfan06

Re: RIP UncleFrank23

Post by Cubfan06 »

It was a pleasure to have met Ben the few times I did. This makes me really sad.

Ben, wherever you may be. I take comfort in the fact that you are not feeling pain in your body anymore. If I am alive when the Cubs win the World Series, I'll remember to have one for you and wish so wholeheartedly that you had the chance to see that.

Godspeed you special person. Following your battle really touched my life so deeply from a distance. In some way, it was one reminder of how fragile life is. And the importance to love it and live it to its fullest.

swvagator

Re: RIP Ben Rudin "UncleFrank23"

Post by swvagator »

thats really sad. RIP Ben and my thoughts go out to his family and friends during this rough time.

roland

Post by roland »

Sad to hear. Here's to Ben!

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

Fuck ALS. Rest easy, Ben.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

We were in Lancaster when the sad news came out. Patterson dedicated the set to Ben and went right into "After The Scene Dies". It was a great show.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

The 3DD camera crew ran 4 cameras in Lancaster last night. We captured Patterson's dedication to Ben on film. They played After the Scene Dies for him. Later in the show, the lights & power flickered & failed for just a minute. I'd like to think that was Ben letting us know he made it to Heaven safely. We will miss you, Ben!
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I hope Jason Isbell is wrong, and that some people DO die with dignity. God speed
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

We were heartbroken when we got the news yesterday. RIP Ben. :cry:
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Thanks, Wolf.

"Memorial contributions may be made to Truckin' with Ben, a scholarship fund for Eli and Liam, c/o any INB Location; or ALS, St. Louis Regional Chapter, 2258 Welden Parkway, St. Louis, MO 63146."

On edit: I'm guessing that's ING? Does anybody know and either way can anyone provide an address for those of us who don't have a branch conveniently located?

UncleFrank23

Post by UncleFrank23 »

Hi Everyone - it's Becca. I can't tell you how much you all meant to Ben. I believe DBT is one of the reasons he was able to fight this horrible disease. Thank you for being "family" to us.

Someone asked for an address for the scholarship fund. Checks can be made out to Truckin with Ben and mailed to INB bank, 100 East Plummer, Chatham, il 62629

Or you can make a donation that goes to ALS. That address is included in the obit.

Hope to see you all at the next show!

Love-
Rebecca
Somewhere between anguish and acceptance.

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

Love you Becca.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

My extreme condolences, Becca. I'm so sorry for your loss & that I never had the opportunity to meet Ben. It sounds like he will be sorely missed. Sending much love your way.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »