track of the week #110 - Rebels

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jack in VA

Re: track of the week #110 - Rebels

Post by Jack in VA »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:
rlipps wrote:
angryandy wrote:I wonder if this song will get played this week in tribute to Mr. Petty?
I didn't make it to the Lexington, KY show last night, but I did see where a friend posted they played a Petty song. Not sure if it was Rebels or maybe they broke out The Waiting, since I read on here they were in the process of working that one up.
It was The Waiting and I saw it posted to Facebook. I also read they teased Southern Accents into one of their own songs.
Is there video of this anywhere? I looked around a bit and haven't found it. I was also curious to know if a setlist had been posted. apologies if this has been covered. I have not been on TDD in quite a while.
Thanks

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Jack in VA wrote:
John A Arkansawyer wrote:
rlipps wrote:I didn't make it to the Lexington, KY show last night, but I did see where a friend posted they played a Petty song. Not sure if it was Rebels or maybe they broke out The Waiting, since I read on here they were in the process of working that one up.
It was The Waiting and I saw it posted to Facebook. I also read they teased Southern Accents into one of their own songs.
Is there video of this anywhere? I looked around a bit and haven't found it. I was also curious to know if a setlist had been posted. apologies if this has been covered. I have not been on TDD in quite a while.
Thanks
Give this a try.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Jack in VA

Post by Jack in VA »

Thanks!

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Cooley and EZB killin' it! (As usual)
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I just said to uncle Rickey on Saturday that I doubt we'd head Rebels again. I kinda stick by that.

Rebels would probably call for a disclaimer like the southern thing got on saturday. They seem to be more careful about the message they send. Tom Petty himself expressed the same concerns in that RS piece about the confederate flag a while back.

Of course my track record at forecasting shit like this ain't that great
They may open their next show with it and my concerns may be invalid
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

From The Rolling Stone aforementioned piece.

It happened because I had one song on the album called "Rebels." It's spoken from the point of view of the character, who talks about the traditions that have been handed down from family to family for so long that he almost feels guilty about the war. He still blames the North for the discomfort of his life, so my thought was the best way to illustrate this character was to use the Confederate flag.

I used it onstage during that song, and I regretted it pretty quickly. When we toured two years later, I noticed people in the audience wearing Confederate flag bandanas and things like that. One night, someone threw one onstage. I stopped everything and gave a speech about it. I said, "Look, this was to illustrate a character. This is not who we are. Having gone through this, I would prefer it if no one would ever bring a Confederate flag to our shows again because this isn't who we are."

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ ... d-20150714
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

buddymo

Post by buddymo »

Rocky wrote:From The Rolling Stone aforementioned piece.

It happened because I had one song on the album called "Rebels." It's spoken from the point of view of the character, who talks about the traditions that have been handed down from family to family for so long that he almost feels guilty about the war. He still blames the North for the discomfort of his life, so my thought was the best way to illustrate this character was to use the Confederate flag.

I used it onstage during that song, and I regretted it pretty quickly. When we toured two years later, I noticed people in the audience wearing Confederate flag bandanas and things like that. One night, someone threw one onstage. I stopped everything and gave a speech about it. I said, "Look, this was to illustrate a character. This is not who we are. Having gone through this, I would prefer it if no one would ever bring a Confederate flag to our shows again because this isn't who we are."

I hadn't seen the Rolling Stone article before I asked whether DBT would ever play "Rebels" again. The parallels with "The Southern Thing" are very interesting. Both songs resulted Rebel flags in the audience, which made the author uncomfortable. In both cases, the author ended up explaining the song. And in both cases, I think the author might be revising the history of their songs a bit. "Rebels" doesn't appear to be a character study on its face, and in any case, there's no critique of the character's viewpoint in the song. In "The Southern Thing," there's no critique of the family's telling of Great-great grandad's story.

It really is a shame Petty and Patterson never got to meet and have a chat.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

buddymo wrote:
Rocky wrote:From The Rolling Stone aforementioned piece.

I hadn't seen the Rolling Stone article before I asked whether DBT would ever play "Rebels" again. The parallels with "The Southern Thing" are very interesting. Both songs resulted Rebel flags in the audience, which made the author uncomfortable. In both cases, the author ended up explaining the song. And in both cases, I think the author might be revising the history of their songs a bit. "Rebels" doesn't appear to be a character study on its face, and in any case, there's no critique of the character's viewpoint in the song. In "The Southern Thing," there's no critique of the family's telling of Great-great grandad's story.

It really is a shame Petty and Patterson never got to meet and have a chat.
One day.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Not playing Rebels is letting the assholes win, IMO.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Iowan wrote:Not playing Rebels is letting the assholes win, IMO.
I would love to hear it, but I understand either way. I think I'd rather hear their version of the Waiting or especially Free Falling, or perhaps some yet to be performed Petty cover, like "Swingin" (err maybe "Swangin', if Patterson sings it ;) :lol: )
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Sterling Bigmouth

Post by Sterling Bigmouth »

Won’t hold my breath over it, but I’d love to hear that Hey, Hey, Hey! one more time
Turn it up to 10 and rip off the knob