Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Re: Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Anticipation Thre

Post by rlipps »

jimmyjack wrote:Thanks! If it was signed vinyl, I might be persuaded. It's strange that there isn't some deluxe pre-order option this time around. It's so rare I get excited about actual release dates anymore, I always view DBT-related releases as events unto themselves! With my luck, I'll order it from Amazon and then a few days later there'll be some t-shirt / vinyl / mug type deal via ATO or something. But I'm guessing it's approaching too late for that...

You checked to see if CD Central will have the vinyl on release day?

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Yeah, I bet they will. Good call. I'll pick it up there rather than pre-order. Will probably be there tomorrow anyway, I'll remind Steve!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

jimmyjack wrote:Yeah, I bet they will. Good call. I'll pick it up there rather than pre-order. Will probably be there tomorrow anyway, I'll remind Steve!

Let me know what he says, I'd rather get mine there than order from somewhere else

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Just saw this posted on Patterson's FB page: "iTunes pre-order for 'Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance'. Main site pre-ordering will be launched soon."

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Ah, cool! But unless there's some bonus swag I'm gonna buy it locally.

rlipps, Steve at CD Central said he'd absolutely be getting several copies in on the 11th!

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Linkous posted this elsewhere but it probably belongs here, where it can add to the anticipation:

The new issue of Uncut magazine has a free CD which includes a new PH song from Heat Lightening Rumbles In The Distance called Fifteen Days (Leaving Time Again). Only listened to it twice, but I like it - its quite jaunty with a railroad type rhythm (if that makes sense) with chugging rhythm guitar and keyboards utilised to sound like strings.

Uncut also has a review of the new album (it gets awarded 8/10 and is "Americana album of the month").
The reviewer tells us the album reflects on a time in PH's life (circa 1991) where he had just been divorced and it was "an emotionally intense time in which he contemplated suicide". However he says,"The tone is hopeful, the dark corners of Hood's past softly lit by his current life as a successful musician, father and family man"
Of the record the writer says "the whole thing is beautifully shaded by pianos, banjos,steel and festering guitar figures". He says "Come Back Little Star" is "a highlight", and the closing "Fifteen Days" is a song of "Southern skiffle.....which finds Hood back in the present dreaming of returning to his family after months on tour".
Summing up he says its "an affecting, lyrical record that makes you feel blessed for not having lived through it, but wiser,so grateful for the ride".
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

headhunter

Post by headhunter »

can't wait to buy this one on vinyl!

uncle rickey

Post by uncle rickey »

jimmyjack wrote:Ah, cool! But unless there's some bonus swag I'm gonna buy it locally.

There's mention of some bonus material on the DBT online store now; I assume we'll hear something formal soon?

http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=407_57884

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

uncle rickey wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:Ah, cool! But unless there's some bonus swag I'm gonna buy it locally.

There's mention of some bonus material on the DBT online store now; I assume we'll hear something formal soon?

http://drivebytruckers.shop.musictoday.com/Dept.aspx?cp=407_57884

Just bought the LP + t-shirt package. Comes with an instant download of a track, plus a 10-song demo record that you can download on release date.
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

click pic to go to pre-order
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Thanks yall! Ordered! True to form, the free download doesn't work, and $12 for standard shipping + tax is absurd (Musictoday's fault, not DBT's), but, psyched all the same! Hope it arrives on the release date...

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

jimmyjack wrote:True to form, the free download doesn't work, and $12 for standard shipping + tax is absurd (Musictoday's fault, not DBT's)

ditto

ford911

Post by ford911 »

No autographed vinyl? I'll wait and buy it at a show to avoid shipping.

cpatrick

Post by cpatrick »

Amazon.com.... $17.98 for the vinyl and we have Prime so it will be here release date with free shipping. Not getting screwed for $11 shipping by Musictoday.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Yeah, totally. I rationalized it because of the demos, but since this first download didn't even work, I'm going to assume there'll be some sort of problem with the demos download on the 11th, too.

:( :x :roll:

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

On second thought, I may cancel this order. The idea that, after shipping, this costs almost DOUBLE what Amazon (or, likely, my local record store) will charge, and the downloads are already fucked up - it's all just too much of a headache. Maybe just maybe some kind 3DDer will hook me up with these demos anyway, hint hint? :D

sfbamaAAW

Post by sfbamaAAW »

Download should be fixed now. If you ordered you can go back and grab the track. JPW.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Nope, same problem. Why is there always a problem with pre-orders?? I mean, I started this thread. Clearly, I want to participate in pre-ordering. I think it's cool and I love bonus stuff. But aargh what a hassle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

sfbamaAAW wrote:Download should be fixed now. If you ordered you can go back and grab the track. JPW.

thanks, worked on my end.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Better Than The Truth kicks ass

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Yikes, this is an awful deal for the lp. Amazon it is.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Not trying to pile on, but I just tried to get the CD and a t-shirt and spent 30 minutes getting bounced around Musictoday, then Paypal, then back to Musictoday....and I'm not an idiot. Looks like I'll pick both of these up at the NC of VA Patterson shows next month....

Can't wait.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

ramonz wrote:Not trying to pile on, but I just tried to get the CD and a t-shirt and spent 30 minutes getting bounced around Musictoday, then Paypal, then back to Musictoday....and I'm not an idiot. Looks like I'll pick both of these up at the NC of VA Patterson shows next month....

Can't wait.

you're an idiot. ;)

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

OK, maybe I am. But not tonight. It's not the first time the MD site has not played nice with my Paypal acct.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Once again we witness the triumph of hope over experience. You know it's gonna cost more, you know the download's gonna get fucked up, it's probable that the ordering mechanics will be fucked up and it's almost a lock that the goods won't arrive until after the release date, and probably a lot after. God bless each and every one of you, but I don't understand it.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

It truly is the equivalent of peeking at Christmas presents. Speaking on behalf of everyone else who pre-ordered in a fever of anticipation and starry-eyed optimism, I think we just get so downright giddy about DBT releases, we temporarily lose our common sense. It was misattributed to Einstein, but whoever actually did say "the definition of insanity is doing something over and over again and expecting a different result" really oughta get a gander at this here 3DD board. :D

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

I don't remember the murdering oscar preorder costing double what others were charging, and that came with bonus tracks (not demos).

Regardless, can't wait to hear it!

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Blame Clams!

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Patterson (and DBT) gets a shout out on the AV Club (with a stream of Better Off Without):

http://www.avclub.com/articles/patterson-hood-and-nigel-godrich-zone-out-in-this,84211/

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:Once again we witness the triumph of hope over experience. You know it's gonna cost more, you know the download's gonna get fucked up, it's probable that the ordering mechanics will be fucked up and it's almost a lock that the goods won't arrive until after the release date, and probably a lot after. God bless each and every one of you, but I don't understand it.

Agreed. After my Secret To A Happy Ending preorder experience I'll never preorder again.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.