Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Anticipation Thre

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I've preordered from Amazon plenty and never once got my record on time. Not once. I just think this is an industry thing and don't pay it much mind anymore. I wanted the Tee shirt so I preordered yesterday. It's the price I pay for being a fan.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I've preordered from Amazon plenty and never once got my record on time. Not once. I just think this is an industry thing and don't pay it much mind anymore. I wanted the Tee shirt so I preordered yesterday. It's the price I pay for being a fan.

+1
I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I love Better than the Truth; it hits hard though, I have a few good friends who def remind me of Billy Ringo. The accordian gives it a funereal vibe.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

By now, I've heard three songs from the album and...wow. This is just terrific. Vocally and lyrically, dude is bringing it. I can't wait to hear this whole thing.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

To me, this is what Killers and Stars would song like with a band and studio.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm glad it's a new recording/arrangement on "Depression Era".

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Outlaw Country on Sirius/XM has been previewing a lot of the songs. This morning, one was starting, but I had to get out the car to take my son into daycare. I wonder if I'll hear any of these songs at the full DBT concerts in Richmond in a couple of months????

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Penny Lane wrote:
RolanK wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:Heat lightning was named because it often occurs on hot summer nights and to distinguish it from lightning accompanied by audible thunder and cooling rainfall at the point of observation. Lightning results from the discharge of negative ions created from the friction of ice and water particles bumping into each other at the bottom of a cloud. Heat lightning can be an early warning sign that thunderstorms are approaching. In Florida, heat lightning is often seen out over the water at night, the remnants of storms that formed during the day along a sea breeze front coming in from the opposite coast.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heat_lightning

Wow. Thanks for enlightning me ;)

ba da bing!

i've seen heat lightning in Ohio a couple times growing up...very rare

It's not that rare. I typically see it a few times a summer. As far back as I can remember.

Although come to think of it, I saw it more when I was younger and living on the eastern part of the state.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

In my blood, there's gasoline..

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Album of the year.
I was afraid I was being too biased, since I pretty much made my mind up before I heard the completed album - but after listening to it thru and thru, I have to say it confirmed it for me. Amazing record.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

Penny Lane wrote:

that's a damn goodern'

Sub

Post by Sub »

Smitty wrote:Album of the year.
I was afraid I was being too biased, since I pretty much made my mind up before I heard the completed album - but after listening to it thru and thru, I have to say it confirmed it for me. Amazing record.

Agreed I musta played this one over a dozen times start to finish in the last few days. I just can't get these songs out of my head even at work ill be singing them to myself.

Looks like Rolling Stone gave it three and a half stars in the new issue.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I'm glad we can talk about this now! Was waiting for someone else to start the conversation. :D

This album is superb - I mean, it's my favorite DBT-related release since DD, which is easily in my top 3 albums of all time. If anyone's on the fence, I urge you to pick this one up. It's leaps and bounds beyond K&S and MO (both of which I like very much), and rivals the last handful of DBT records, at least as far as Patterson songs are concerned. Pretty much every song is a knockout. There are two towards the end that don't blow me away as much as the others, but I bet they're growers and will likely become favorites later on. I will say that "After The Damage" and "Come Back Little Star" are some of the best songs Patterson's ever written. Like Smitty, I was pretty much gearing up to love this before I heard it - and I'd heard about five of these songs live and on bootlegs, and then another two when they were released via blogs, so I was sure it's be good - but I wasn't really prepared for how consistent and beautiful this album is. It's Patterson's Tapestry. I LOVE it.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

jimmyjack wrote:I'm glad we can talk about this now! Was waiting for someone else to start the conversation. :D

This album is superb - I mean, it's my favorite DBT-related release since DD, which is easily in my top 3 albums of all time. If anyone's on the fence, I urge you to pick this one up. It's leaps and bounds beyond K&S and MO (both of which I like very much), and rivals the last handful of DBT records, at least as far as Patterson songs are concerned. Pretty much every song is a knockout. There are two towards the end that don't blow me away as much as the others, but I bet they're growers and will likely become favorites later on. I will say that "After The Damage" and "Come Back Little Star" are some of the best songs Patterson's ever written. Like Smitty, I was pretty much gearing up to love this before I heard it - and I'd heard about five of these songs live and on bootlegs, and then another two when they were released via blogs, so I was sure it's be good - but I wasn't really prepared for how consistent and beautiful this album is. It's Patterson's Tapestry. I LOVE it.

I usually try to refrain from praising an album too much till I've spent atleast a few months with it, but I concur with everything you said. It's a defining record, perfect for the end of summer/beginning of fall - and if "Untold Pretties" is an excerpt from his novel, I really wish he would finish it, because that's some beautiful prose. I can't wait to get my hands on a physical copy and actually look at the artwork and photography (& see the credits and who's playing what). He knocked this one out of the park; my favorite DBT-related album since TDS was Murdering Oscar, and this trumps it. I also can't wait to hear the demos...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

http://somethingelsereviews.com/2012/08 ... ance-2012/

Never forced or threatening, Heat is, at times, is calmly transcendent, using themes local to Hood that projects out to at least a good portion of us all; a Southern tale that’s deeply American, not regional. I don’t know if that’s what Hood had in mind, he can only speak authoritatively from his own experiences like anyone else. But the plain, eloquent way he does that and sets it to music that connects to the everyday guy puts Heat Lightning Rumbles In The Distance in a special space.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Really looking forward to this album based on the praise it's getting on here

lajakesdad

Post by lajakesdad »

I have been listening to this all week too. I can't stop. It is so good. Just really heavy. These songs are like movie soundtracks and just plain beautiful. This album is better than the last couple DBT albums for sure. I like how it sounds different than DBT. I felt MO was just like DBT without Cooley. This one is stylistically and sound-wise a whole different beast. More in the line of BTCD. The only tune that doesn't floor me completely is Fifteen Days but I don't hate it.

Patterson's voice never sounded better. Buy this album.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I enjoy this album, but I wish I enjoyed it as much as some of you guys.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Iowan wrote:I enjoy this album, but I wish I enjoyed it as much as some of you guys.

x2
Not sure if this makes sense, but it's almost "too beautiful." I need more carnage, more guitars.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Clams wrote:
Iowan wrote:I enjoy this album, but I wish I enjoyed it as much as some of you guys.

x2
Not sure if this makes sense, but it's almost "too beautiful." I need more carnage, more guitars.

I know what you mean and I love guitars cranked up to 11 as much as the next guy, but I don't believe this is that kinda album. It's deliberately quieter, which is fitting given the material.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Also in lieu of guitars, it's got some of the best (&diverse) instrumentation of any DBT-related album.
it's definitely more Image than Image.

The only track I'm not crazy about is the reworked "Depression Era".

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

Looking forward to hearing this on Sep. 11, the way god intended. :D
ain't no static on the gospel radio

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Duke Silver wrote:Looking forward to hearing this on Sep. 11, the way god intended. :D

Is that what you call Him?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Shakespeare

Post by Shakespeare »

yup, but im generally amazed that people can ever have an album for a few days and already know its among the artists finest work, but everyone takes in music differently i guess. i know we've known many of these songs via bootlegs and whatnot, but still. i guess im the kind of guy who needs many listens over a much longer period of time to truly know where i stand on an album, others aren't. i just cant imagine hearing this album a few times and immediately knowing its right up there with decoration day or the dirty south.

personally i dig this album a lot, and it could very well end up as my favorite patterson solo album. but i find it hard to compare them to dbt record for obvious reasons.

the only songs im not really feeling are betty ford and depression era. unfortunately theyre back to back. not bad songs by any means, but they do close to nothing for me so far.

everything else is good to great to excellent. better than the truth, leaving time and come back little star are probably my favorites.

and yeah, i like the instrumentation and the fact that its not a dbt minus cooley album.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Love the great bass lines in the title track and especially Better Off Without.
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Waiting on this one first and foremost followed by Chris Knight and Dinosaur Jr.

11 more days.
Not forever, just for now.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

The two I'm not totally feeling yet are the same as yours, Shakespeare (and I really liked the original version of "Depression Era" - I guess I just don't love that 'raking the piano guts' sound effect). I'm coming around to "Betty Ford" - it's a good groove, just seems slightly inconsequential as a 'song' next to some of the others. And I think of "Fifteen Days" as a sort of coda to the album (think "Cripple Creek Ferry" or something) and as such, I think it totally works.

But my opinion stands - this is some of my favorite music Patterson's ever made. I like it more every time I hear it.

sg207

Post by sg207 »

'Scratch wrote:Waiting on this one first and foremost followed by Chris Knight and Dinosaur Jr.

11 more days.

This one is good. I dont' love it near as much as some others here, but it's Patterson, it would be difficult for it to be bad.

The new Dinosaur Jr. is damn good.

Haven't heard the Chris Knight.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Van

Post by Van »

I want to party with Billy Ringo!

Mr. Fantasy

Post by Mr. Fantasy »

solid for sure billy ringo 4lyph3