Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

bovine knievel

Re: Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Thread

Post by bovine knievel »

Here's the album art for the bonus demos. That chair and porch look familiar... is it George A's place?

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Speaking of the bonus demos....where could a guy who ordered the CD off Amazon find them?
Not forever, just for now.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

Zip City wrote:Better Off Without is the only track I'm not really feeling right now.

Whereas I'm already singing this one as I walk around. But then, it's exactly where I am in my life right now, so take that with a grain of salt.

My first take: This is way better than Murdering Oscar, a record which sure doesn't suck. I suppose I'll buy Killers and Stars in Memphis next month to complete my trifecta.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

John A Arkansawyer

Just barely on topic, maybe:

RevMatt wrote:Hood uses the images of precipitation to invoke the divine presence; in one scene a sudden downpour “like a wonderful wrath from God”, in another an unexpected snowstorm on the way to his grandfather’s burial. Allusions to God and spirituality, sporadic for most of his body of work, have become more frequent in the past couple years. In “(untold pretties)” he explores this in the context of his family’s legacy as Methodist folk (chalk up another for the home team!) whose generational rites of passage took place in the humble setting of a rural family chapel. In this song God’s presence comes across as consistent, harmonious even, its anger or benevolence dependent upon the narrator’s own state of mind the moment he becomes aware of its presence, just as precipitation can reach the earth as snow or rain depending upon the temperature on the ground. Hell is a state of mind as well, something we carry for a while before “it gets to be a drag.”

So yesterday morning I went with a minister friend to a prayer breakfast held by a group of Christians who work with foster care children. They do absolutely wonderful work with the kids and some of their leaders were among the leaders of a move to ban gays and lesbians, as well as unmarried straight couples, from being foster parents. The duality of the Southern Thing and all that (not that the north is immune from it). I'm wrestling hard with how to get my church, with hardly a Christian to be found in the congregation and a fair number of "flat-earth humanists" among our most vocal members, to engage with these vile and wonderful people, people whose open and loving hearts were right on their sleeves that morning, and the vital work they do. At the end of the breakfast, we were asked to circle around an executive from the state agency which deals with neglected, abused, and abandoned children and engage in intercessory prayer for him. I don't believe in intercessory prayer, but I've shaped my life around a passionate belief in human solidarity, so as my friend Marie put her hand on the man's arm, I put mine on the shoulder of a man in front of me, a man who works with that agency and has seen more dead and damaged kids than I've seen bare tittles, and as I joined them in prayer which I know not to be effective on its own terms, I distinctly heard Patterson sing, "I don't know God but I fear his wrath."

Then last night I dreamed about faithful resistance to wrong yet barely legitimate authority, and this morning I told a couple of killservatives they should be grateful the hell they believe in does not exist. I suppose my mind is trying to tell me something, but man! A polite note would work just fine.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I can't imagine someone who is a fan of the work of Patterson Hood disliking Better Off Without.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Iowan wrote:I can't imagine someone who is a fan of the work of Patterson Hood disliking Better Off Without.

Have you met Zip? :lol:
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

3.5 stars and a lame one paragraph "review" from Rolling Stone...

Frankly, it's a relief to hear Patterson Hood backed by banjo, fiddle and acoustic strumming; the Drive-By Truckers frontman has hollered Southern Gothic tales over an electric-guitar army with such intensity for so many years, it's a miracle he hasn't flamed out. This third solo set was born of a shelved novel/song-cycle project. The hush magnifies its stories of family and fucked-up youth, and even the sketches deliver an emotional gut punch. "Leaving Time," a tour rat's ongoing farewell to his kids, and "After the Damage," a rueful duet with Kelly Hogan, sound like the birth of a sustainable sideline. Just make sure you keep rocking too, OK, dude?

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/album ... z26MonKQRo
If you don't run you rust

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I think it's the least melodic song on an album with great melodies
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

John A Arkansawyer

Zip City wrote:I think it's the least melodic song on an album with great melodies

It very slightly reminds me of Dead Drunk and Naked. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Zip City wrote:I think it's the least melodic song on an album with great melodies

Ummm. Yeah...

Clams

Post by Clams »

Last edited by Clams on Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

John A Arkansawyer wrote:

It very slightly reminds me of Dead Drunk and Naked. I'm not sure that's a bad thing.

The demo version is Gangstabillyish.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

still wondering if the pics from this album were taken at George A's place. Anybody? Bueller...

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

bovine knievel wrote:still wondering if the pics from this album were taken at George A's place. Anybody? Bueller...

Yep.

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

bovine knievel wrote:still wondering if the pics from this album were taken at George A's place. Anybody? Bueller...

I believe they were all taken at the Johnson farm, aka George A's place. Mrs. Hood took the pics. Didn't realize she was such a talented photographer. In the past couple of years Patterson has mentioned that he does not know how long the family will be able to hold onto the land because no one in the next generation farms.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

from the liner notes:

I spent a large part of my growing up years running and playing on the land of my mom's side of the family. The Johnson Homestead, in McGee Town, Alabama is where my grandmother and her brothers were born.

My Great Uncle, George A. Johnson lived to be 91 and passed away while I was recording this album. I had already written the song "Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance" anticipating losing the last one of his generation.

Last fall, I drove to north Alabama with my family for his memorial service and spent the day watching my kids play in and around the very house that he had lived in for all of his life.

The living room he and his siblings were born in, the stump of the old Oak tree that was there for most of his life and that shaded so much of my childhood. The old big boy stove that was the only source of heat during the cold winters of that house.

Rebecca and I walked around taking the pictures that make up this album's artwork.

Watching my children run and play juxtaposed my sadness and my head was flooded with sweet memories. These songs provided a soundtrack to those memories, aided by the smell of sweet honeysuckle and freshly cut watermelon. "These ghosts are a comfort to me".

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^
Thanks!

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

'Scratch wrote:Speaking of the bonus demos....where could a guy who ordered the CD off Amazon find them?

Just wanted to say thanks to the congregation for the friendly hook-ups! If you cut yourself falling out of a window with a bong in your hand, I'd be the first to apply direct pressure.

dbtfan4life

Post by dbtfan4life »

its an absolutely incredible album. i fuckin love the hell out of it! untold pretties makes me cry every listen. Thank You Patterson Hood for being the few artists that still make good fucking music!!!

SouthCarolinaRed

Post by SouthCarolinaRed »

Rev Matt, what an awesome review. Thanks so much! I am listening to the vinyl at this moment. Initial reaction: I LOVE this album. When it's over I am going back to the beginning. ;)
The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

After the Damage and Come Back Little Star are my early favorites
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Great songs made even better by Kelly Hogan's angelic harmonies.

Clams

Post by Clams »

Make sure my shortcomings are adequately addressed

SouthCarolinaRed

Zip City wrote:After the Damage and Come Back Little Star are my early favorites

SouthCarolinaRed

Hurt's the price for being alive

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Clams wrote:Make sure my shortcomings are adequately addressed

I know it's a new year and everything, but it sure seems like you're asking an awful lot, clamskowitz.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

I don't know if I can pick a favorite from this album because once a song is isolated from the rest of the songs it loses some of its meaning. Sort of like separating a chapter from a novel. The songs mean so much more when taken contextually.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

RevMatt wrote:Went to Vintage Vinyl on the way to my gig tonight and the vinyl was in the bin! Sounds so much better on my turntable.
RevMatt wrote:I don't know if I can pick a favorite from this album because once a song is isolated from the rest of the songs it loses some of its meaning. Sort of like separating a chapter from a novel. The songs mean so much more when taken contextually.

Good to see you're staying in character, RevMatt.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'm only looking for an acceptable level of bullshit I can live with.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Iowan wrote:I'm only looking for an acceptable level of bullshit I can live with.

That works, too. :lol:
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM