Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

jimmyjack

Re: Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Anticipation Thre

Post by jimmyjack »

Cover art is up there now! Really, really like it. Aww, man, so excited about this one! No way I'm going the Amazon route though - with any luck, we're just a few weeks away from a killer deluxe pre-order sorta deal. :D

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I like it, but I was really hoping for some kickass Wes Freed interpretation...
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jenn

Post by Jenn »

Thanks y'all! Patterson should be using it to make updates soon. It'll be awesome!
どれだけ涙を流せば
貴方を忘れられるだろう
Just tell me my life
何処まで歩いてみても
涙で明日が見えない

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

I don't really use Amazon for new releases. No way am I going there for this one. The local record shop is my destination. Heck, it will be my destination a lot the next coupla months. A lot of anticipated new releases coming out. And yes, I really dig the album cover even without the Wes Freed touch. Save that for DBT - though, I really liked the Murdering Oscar art.

jimmyjack wrote:Cover art is up there now! Really, really like it. Aww, man, so excited about this one! No way I'm going the Amazon route though - with any luck, we're just a few weeks away from a killer deluxe pre-order sorta deal. :D

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Love love love Wes Freed's work - but I'm really glad this cover is different. It distinguishes this as a Patterson record, not a 'DBT affiliated' record. It's also very 70s, which I think will suit the album. It looks really classic and really good.

TW_2.0

Post by TW_2.0 »

I can't dance a lick but sometimes I can flat rock and roll

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

bump

A little over a month kids.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Yeah, where's the pre-order already?? I'm going deluxe, as usual! (Even though these pre-orders always show up a week or more after the release date!)

I can honestly say that I really like all of the new songs I've heard so far, on live recordings and such, and I'm excited to see him next week with Todd Snider here in Kenfucky.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

jimmyjack wrote:Yeah, where's the pre-order already?? I'm going deluxe, as usual! (Even though these pre-orders always show up a week or more after the release date!)

I can honestly say that I really like all of the new songs I've heard so far, on live recordings and such, and I'm excited to see him next week with Todd Snider here in Kenfucky.

Jealous. Would have loved to have caught this one but with Asheville the next day and Lurleen and I coming from opposite directions the logistics didn't work. I expect a full report.

Really digging Leaving Time right now. Amazing lyric.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

I'm hoping for a pre-order deal like with the Will Johnson album, where they claim I will have it in the mail the day it is released (and with the same pleasant surprise of an immediate bonus download as well, but it guess that may be to much to hope for). I still really would like to have the album in "hard" format at same time as you guys. Normally with new releases things hit the shelf at the same day (or sometimes even the day before) here as it does in the US. But with "marginal" artist as DBT and PH (unfortunately) is over here I am not even sure the stores will have it available other than on "import" which means having to order it in the shops and waiting for weeks. Last time I checked Pattersons albums were not even available in the iTunes store over here.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Tequila Cowboy wrote: I expect a full report.

You got it! :D

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

jimmyjack wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote: I expect a full report.

You got it! :D

I'm really jealous too! Should be an amazing show.
We saw Todd Snider and Hayes Carll last month, and that was a hell of a show. Have fun!

Back to the topic at hand, I hope the pre-order info is available soon, getting awfully close to the release date.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

There's several new releases I'm looking forward to in September, not the least of which is Patterson's new one. I'm also looking very forward to David Menconi's Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown book but I also don't want summer to be over (I'll also be hitting the big 5-0 soon) so September can take it's dear sweet time getting here.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:There's several new releases I'm looking forward to in September, not the least of which is Patterson's new one. I'm also looking very forward to David Menconi's Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown book but I also don't want summer to be over (I'll also be hitting the big 5-0 soon) so September can take it's dear sweet time getting here.

I'm also looking forward to the new Chris Knight, which is released on the same day as Patterson's new one. Think CK has a song that John Prine sings on, should be good.

Kudzu Guillotine

rlipps wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:There's several new releases I'm looking forward to in September, not the least of which is Patterson's new one. I'm also looking very forward to David Menconi's Ryan Adams/Whiskeytown book but I also don't want summer to be over (I'll also be hitting the big 5-0 soon) so September can take it's dear sweet time getting here.

I'm also looking forward to the new Chris Knight, which is released on the same day as Patterson's new one. Think CK has a song that John Prine sings on, should be good.

Dylan's new one also comes out on that day. I've only heard the one song ("Early Roman Kings") but from all reports from those that have heard it, it sounds like something to look forward to.

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

jimmyjack wrote:Love love love Wes Freed's work - but I'm really glad this cover is different. It distinguishes this as a Patterson record, not a 'DBT affiliated' record. It's also very 70s, which I think will suit the album. It looks really classic and really good.

Pointing to my nose right now. I wholeheartedly agree. DBT+Freed. I dig that PH is trying to make his solo albums, his solo albums. Plus, I just think its a cool cover :D

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
jimmyjack wrote:Love love love Wes Freed's work - but I'm really glad this cover is different. It distinguishes this as a Patterson record, not a 'DBT affiliated' record. It's also very 70s, which I think will suit the album. It looks really classic and really good.

Pointing to my nose right now. I wholeheartedly agree. DBT+Freed. I dig that PH is trying to make his solo albums, his solo albums. Plus, I just think its a cool cover :D

Its a very cool cover, and I do like it - but my imagination goes wild when I think of what Freed could do with the imagery Heat Lightning conveys.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

is the pic that bovine posted the cover?

nm, found it on amazon.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

ford911

Post by ford911 »

Avett Bros, Band of Horses and The Whigs also have September releases.

ford911

Post by ford911 »

bovine knievel wrote:Image

Like it much better than Oscar. I think I'll try to get this one signed.

Kudzu Guillotine

ford911 wrote:

Avett Bros, Band of Horses and The Whigs also have September releases.

That they do and I appreciate the heads up but I was just listing some of the ones I'm personally looking forward to so I didn't really intend for it to be any sort of a comprehensive list. I'd like to add the new ones from Chris Knight and Dylan as well but I doubt I'll be able to afford them all especially with the Document reissue also coming out in September and the Athens, GA Inside/Out DVD/CD due to drop in October. Any way you slice it it's going to be a very bountiful Fall for music this year.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Just heard Better Off Without on Outlaw Country. Can't fuckin' wait for 9/11*

*finally something to make that poor day a little better.
Last edited by bovine knievel on Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

Well, that's not exactly the best way to end that sentence.

But I know what you all mean, there's a lot to look forward at the end of this year. In my opinion, this has just been a great year for music in general (I could probably rattle off a handful of really, really good albums, all from this year, if pressured), and I have no doubt Heat Lightning will keep that up.
Plus, I just love the title. As someone else said, imagining what that might mean to Wes Freed is quite a thought.

ScottyG

Post by ScottyG »

Not sure if this has been posted, but for those who like a taste before the main meal, here are some samples...
http://www.7digital.com/artist/patterso ... e-distance

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Maybe there's not gonna be a deluxe pre-order sorta deal this time? :cry:

ford911

Post by ford911 »

jimmyjack wrote:Maybe there's not gonna be a deluxe pre-order sorta deal this time? :cry:

Was wondering the same thing.

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Guess I'm ordering this from Amazon, then? :?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Maybe not what you're looking for but Newbury Comics is offering pre orders w/ signed cd booklets.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Thanks! If it was signed vinyl, I might be persuaded. It's strange that there isn't some deluxe pre-order option this time around. It's so rare I get excited about actual release dates anymore, I always view DBT-related releases as events unto themselves! With my luck, I'll order it from Amazon and then a few days later there'll be some t-shirt / vinyl / mug type deal via ATO or something. But I'm guessing it's approaching too late for that...