Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Thread

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Jack Flash

Re: Heat Lightning Rumbles in the Distance Anticipation Thre

Post by Jack Flash »

Listened to it for the first time today. Wow. I agree it's way to early to start ranking it in the context of Patterson's past output, but I can say with some certainty that it's pretty fantastic. I love both Killers And Stars and Murdering Oscar, but those albums feel like side efforts to me. Heat Lightning feels like its own separate, awesome thing. Can't wait for my CD to arrive so I can check out the liner notes. In the meantime, who's playing the banjo parts? Cooley?

StormandStatic

Post by StormandStatic »

I've been trying to give myself some time between listens, but this really is fantastic. I love how it sounds, the way the snare is like a tiny controlled demolition right in your ear, ringing out briefly before decaying. Truthfully, the last few DBT records have sounded fantastic too. And the cello. :D I think I was designed to like this album.

Clams

Post by Clams »

I can't believe how personal this record is. It's like I'm hearing someone's private thoughts and conversations that I wasnt intended to hear.
If you don't run you rust

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

My world has been crazy over the last 10 days, so I haven't had the proper time and focus to digest & process this record. However, I will say "Disappear" has made quite an impression. Musically, it is such a departure from what Patterson typically does. I find myself singing and humming it frequently and when I do have a few moments to listen to something, it's "Disappear" I wanna hear.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

12:01

Always go to the show

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

Clams wrote:I can't believe how personal this record is. It's like I'm hearing someone's private thoughts and conversations that I wasnt intended to hear.

Same here. Leaving Time just kills me. Then Disappear delivers the follow up knockout blow.
Not forever, just for now.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Just wonderin'...

Since the CD doesn't come out until Sept. 11, will everyone that has already heard it buy a copy?

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

OkieinTexas wrote:Just wonderin'...

Since the CD doesn't come out until Sept. 11, will everyone that has already heard it buy a copy?

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

I don't see anyone here not ponying up. And if you don't, shame on you
Always go to the show

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Jonicont wrote:

I haven't downloaded the CD before its official release date and of course I will pay for it. I was just asking a question relevant to the manner in which music is distributed now. I may not be an admin but I probably support DBT financially as much as anyone on this board.

Not sure why you felt the need to personally attack me.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie
Last edited by OkieinTexas on Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

I missed the part where you were attacked and I think it's safe to say that pretty much everyone on this message board who has a leaked copy will be purchasing at least one copy of HLRinD. I would be more skeptical of the casual fans who downloaded a leaked copy actually purchasing the album. Those that feel the need to lecture or admonish those on this board for having a leaked copy need to park the tall horses they are riding and stop preaching to the choir.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

I generally avoid listening to things I'm anticipating this much before I can sit down with a glass of Makers and paw over the liner notes of the vinyl as I listen, preferably alone and preferably with headphones. That's the ideal setting. But sometimes I wanna take a peek at the Christmas present a few days early. I think Jonicont is right in that everyone here has either pre-ordered this already or will buy it on the 11th. I'll probably buy an extra copy or two to give as Christmas gifts. And I'm just as excited to receive my copy as before - maybe more so, because as someone else said upthread, I'm looking forward to reading the liner notes and the credits. I agree that 'procuring' an album before the release date is a bit like ruining a surprise party, and definitely a bad habit, but it's the way the winds are blowing, I'm afraid. But as someone who puts out records myself, I, err, "tell myself it's a necessary evil." :D

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

cortez the killer wrote:
I missed the part where you were attacked and I think it's safe to say that pretty much everyone on this message board who has a leaked copy will be purchasing at least one copy of HLRinD. I would be more skeptical of the casual fans who downloaded a leaked copy actually purchasing the album. Those that feel the need to lecture or admonish those on this board for having a leaked copy need to park the tall horses they are riding and stop preaching to the choir.

I probably didn't make my point well, but I wasn't lecturing or admonishing anyone.I guess I am old-school and prefer to wait for the CD's official release date. I just think that the internet has ruined the anticipation of waiting for a CD to be released.

Sorry for the feathers I ruffled, I was just wanting an honest discussion.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

jimmyjack wrote:
I generally avoid listening to things I'm anticipating this much before I can sit down with a glass of Makers and paw over the liner notes of the vinyl as I listen, preferably alone and preferably with headphones. That's the ideal setting. But sometimes I wanna take a peek at the Christmas present a few days early. I think Jonicont is right in that everyone here has either pre-ordered this already or will buy it on the 11th. I'll probably buy an extra copy or two to give as Christmas gifts. And I'm just as excited to receive my copy as before - maybe more so, because as someone else said upthread, I'm looking forward to reading the liner notes and the credits. I agree that 'procuring' an album before the release date is a bit like ruining a surprise party, and definitely a bad habit, but it's the way the winds are blowing, I'm afraid. But as someone who puts out records myself, I, err, "tell myself it's a necessary evil." :D

Once again, jimmyjack speaks more eloquently than I ever could.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

OkieinTexas wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

I haven't downloaded the CD before its official release date and of course I will pay for it. I was just asking a question relevant to the manner in which music is distributed now. I may not be an admin but I probably support DBT financially as much as anyone on this board.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

Not to speak for jonicont, but I think he meant "you" as in the community at large, not "you" you. Respectfully.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

Duke Silver wrote:
Not to speak for jonicont, but I think he meant "you" as in the community at large, not "you" you. Respectfully.

You are probably right. Apologies to jonicont.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

'Scratch

Post by 'Scratch »

All three albums I mentioned in a previous post are on pre-order. I'm happy to get a pre-released copy, but I believe in supporting the artists I care about. FWIW
Not forever, just for now.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

'Scratch wrote:
All three albums I mentioned in a previous post are on pre-order. I'm happy to get a pre-released copy, but I believe in supporting the artists I care about. FWIW

Not to flame here, but is downloading a pre-released CD from a band you decide not support a good thing? I hate to be a "get off my lawn," oldster, but in my day I purchased a ton of LPs from bands I wound up not liking. This may be a generational thing.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Duke Silver wrote:
OkieinTexas wrote:
Jonicont wrote:

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

Thanks Duke
Always go to the show

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

OkieinTexas wrote:
'Scratch wrote:

Not to flame here, but is downloading a pre-released CD from a band you decide not support a good thing? I hate to be a "get off my lawn," oldster, but in my day I purchased a ton of LPs from bands I wound up not liking. This may be a generational thing.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

Please, you can find this discussion elsewhere. Let's keep focused on the record
Always go to the show

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Jonicont wrote:

Please, you can find this discussion elsewhere. Let's keep focused on the record

It's a pretty good record, in fact.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Mr. Fantasy

Post by Mr. Fantasy »

OkieinTexas wrote:
'Scratch wrote:

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

:::scratching chin emoticon:::

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

OkieinTexas wrote:
cortez the killer wrote:

I probably didn't make my point well, but I wasn't lecturing or admonishing anyone.I guess I am old-school and prefer to wait for the CD's official release date. I just think that the internet has ruined the anticipation of waiting for a CD to be released.

Sorry for the feathers I ruffled, I was just wanting an honest discussion.

Respectfully,
Relocated Okie

For whatever it's worth, I'm also waiting to hear the album on the 11th. It's not a moral stance and everyone that's been on the board long enough to know me understands that. I just think it's more exciting to hear a new album on the day of release. If I listen to it now it takes all the excitement out of that first spin for me.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Iowan wrote:I enjoy this album, but I wish I enjoyed it as much as some of you guys.

This pretty much sums my feelings up too. To be fair, I've only managed to give it a couple of listens and I'm sure some of the songs will grow on me with repeated listens, but I much prefer the new Chris Knight to this one so far.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

rlipps wrote:
Iowan wrote:I enjoy this album, but I wish I enjoyed it as much as some of you guys.

This pretty much sums my feelings up too. To be fair, I've only managed to give it a couple of listens and I'm sure some of the songs will grow on me with repeated listens, but I much prefer the new Chris Knight to this one so far.

I felt this way first listen. I just listened again early this morning and had a completely different reaction. Being in a somber mood when its quiet and you can really listen is key. Definitely changed my perspective anyway.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Clams

Post by Clams »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:I felt this way first listen. I just listened again early this morning and had a completely different reaction. Being in a somber mood when its quiet and you can really listen is key. Definitely changed my perspective anyway.

Yeah I'm getting sucked in as well. There are a bunch of lines and fragments of lines that I keep hearing every time I listen.
If you don't run you rust

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:NY Daily News Review

"compellingly morose."
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

beantownbubba wrote:
Tequila Cowboy wrote:NY Daily News Review

"compellingly morose."

as are ALL great songs..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

Who all is singing backup on After the Damage? Sounds like Kelly Hogan towards the end, but earlier in the song their is a male voice accompanying Patterson.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

GuitarManUpstairs wrote:Who all is singing backup on After the Damage? Sounds like Kelly Hogan towards the end, but earlier in the song their is a male voice accompanying Patterson.

sounds like Will Johnson to me - could be wrong. Maybe Jay? Def Kelly Hogan though.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.