DBT Tracks - Week #2 - Late For Church

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

LBRod

Re: DBT Tracks - Week #2 - Late For Church

Post by LBRod »

Thanks for bringing this one back to the surface, Beaverdam. Joelle is awesome.
Last edited by LBRod on Wed May 15, 2013 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

LastLawson

Post by LastLawson »

BigTom wrote:I am supposed to be catholic but when I was a young kid up until I was about 15 my parents made us go to babtist sunday school and vacation bible school. My parents didn't go they just made us go so they could have free time away from 4 kids. Every Saturday the chaperones from the church bus would come around to our house and bribe us to go to church. They bribed us with candy, contests and raffle prizes just to get us to go. Once this church even took us to an adult book store for a protest. I have since become an Atheist and can't stand anything that has to do with religion except for music. I am not talking about christian rock bands...can't stand them. That's why I find it kinda strange that some of my favorite songs by my favorite bands have religious subject matter. Late For Church is one of them. I have always thought that Cooley would do a great job singing it.

My thoughts exactly. My parents were raised Catholic, luckily I wasn't... I've been late for church for almost 17 years.

The last three lines in Late to Church show how church means different things for people. For some it's an important moment every week (or day). For others, it's just a show, so they're not viewed as sinners.

I like Howell's singing, but I think Hood, Cooley, or even Isbell could sing it really well.
Heading to HC Friday and Saturday - first timer!

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

This is such a brilliant song and it's been stuck in my head for literally weeks now. I think that for anyone with any kind of a religious or church going upbringing it strikes some serious chords. I wonder if Jay would have any interest in singing it? I would love to hear it again.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:This is such a brilliant song and it's been stuck in my head for literally weeks now. I think that for anyone with any kind of a religious or church going upbringing it strikes some serious chords. I wonder if Jay would have any interest in singing it? I would love to hear it again.

Ha! I was just thinking the same thing, I think Jay could sing it quite well if the opportunity arose. I'd also really like to hear Cooley back on banjo during a DBT show. I've really been missing his banjo playing lately during the Rock show.

The only time I have ever heard this song live was during the request show. I'm so thankful we were there for that.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Adam plays in a southern rock band out of Atlanta, but I know he's itching to break out his standup and find some bluegrass guys to jam with... anyone know any in North Ga/AL? We could possibly arrange to bring it back proper.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I didn't grow up in a forcefully religious family. We were German Catholics who went to church every week, but the sermons didn't have a lot in them about how you were going to hell and shit, and my parents weren't that gung ho about being pious (nor were their parents). Hell, even the community as a whole wasn't that pushy about religion (we're a bunch of beer drinkin' gay-weddin' farmers up here). However, I knew one uber religious family growing up, and they always tried to brow beat everyone else with their beliefs and tell us all how we were going hell. They liked to tell all the Catholics around them that they weren't actually Christians, and stuff like that. The kids were friends of mine growing up, and I always remember feeling a mix of shame and defiance after I'd have to listen to the rantings of the folks.

This song always reminds me of that, and I think the outro is a mix of shame, defiance, and uncertainty.

Adam Howell, you wrote one hell of a song here.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

I am an angel.*

*in case there was any question about it.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Great version from the weekend with Adam even playing guitar...........but damn I miss that pedal.
And Cooley's banjo.
and the rest as they say is uh er uh, well somebodies history somewhere?

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

Swamp wrote:Great version from the weekend with Adam even playing guitar...........but damn I miss that pedal.
And Cooley's banjo.
Really missed the pedal steel when they did "Wife Beater". Cooley's guitar work is a noble effort, but its just not the same
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

I just re-read my post from five years ago. Maybe if I wish for a million dollars on three dimes down, my wish will come to fruition in 2023....

Beaverdam wrote:For some reason I have become obsessed with this song as of late. Although I didn't dislike it before, I never really paid it much attention in the context of Gangstabilly or the entire DBT cannon; however, I've recently been stuck on it. I think the song is almost Cooley-esque in the way it says so much by saying so little but still leaves the listener wondering. Why is the singer late for church? What had he done the night before? Really I think this song would have fit well with the loose "story" in SRO of the singer from Beatauax Guillotine; it could have followed a story song about a wild Saturday night (Zip City???).

This is another song that makes me wish I'd gotten into this band earlier. I wish I could have seen/heard Howell sing this live.