DBT Track #101 - 18 Wheels Of Love

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Sub

DBT Track #101 - 18 Wheels Of Love

Post by Sub »

Hard to believe we've made it into the triple digits already and by now you would think it would be difficult to find a song worth writing about and in most bands catalogs you would be right however in this case we still got a ways to go.

So I was choosing between two different songs this week and ended up going with 18 Wheels Of Love. When I first got into DBT I downloaded maybe a dozen different tracks, sort of a sampler with the version off of Gangstabilly in there somewhere. I liked it right away, I thought it was a nice catchy little story with a good pretty fitting rythym to it. Then after some time I heard the Alabama Ass Whuppin' version of it and was blown away by the whole backstory and the way Patterson delivers it.

Mama ran off with a trucker
Peterbilt Peterbilt

He is making her give life another stab
They can see the world from way up in the cab

Mama ran off with a trucker...........
Peterbilt Peterbilt

She can quit her job and be his little bride
He can get a local route and stay home by her side
She can fix him roast beast and sweet potato pie
He can eat a lot of it cuz he's a big ole guy

They got married in Dollywood
(by a Porter Waggoner lookalike)
18 Wheels of Love

for Mom and Chester, on the occasion of their marriage, July 1994

lyrics by Patterson Hood
music by Drive-by Truckers
©1998 Soul Dump Music

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Re: DBT Track #101 - 18 Wheels Of Love

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Good one Sub. This one was an early favorite when I was first getting into the band. My first thought was "holy shit, a song about a big rig", then I realized that it wasn't about that at all. It was about resiliency, happy endings and how, in the end, everybody needs love. Live, with the whole story it was a life affirming song of the kind that Patterson and the band have always done so well. As the story evolved through the years it became even more so. Unfortunately, as we all know, that story has had it's final chapter now and the song will never be the same, but it did it's job. It's one of those songs that let us in a bit and make us care, and it's only one of many. How many bands have even one?
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Clams

Post by Clams »

AAW version > Gangstabilly version > ACL version
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

The Truckers played this at the first show of there's I ever attended and I had never heard the song before. I liked it immediately and had to get a copy of my own. Fantastic song.

I swear I had heard this song a dozen times before I picked out the lines about Porter Waggoner. So funny. Kills me every time.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I also prefer the version on Alabama Ass Whuppin'. It's also the version I use to use to introduce friends to the Truckers, just as much for the intro as for the song itself. It also always reminds me of their long out of print bumperstickers that said "Mama Ran Off With A Trucker". At my first ever Truckers show at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill back in 2000, Patterson showered the crowd with them.

211poundsofpork

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Yeah, i admit it: The first time I ever heard this song, I thought they were saying "Pay the Bills, Pay the Bills" or something like that, as opposed to "Peterbilt, Peterbilt". Yeah, I know. moronic. :oops:

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

muscle and gut

pearlysnaps

Post by pearlysnaps »

I love this tune live. When Patterson was telling the extended story version live, on more than a couple of occasions the tale and the tune brought some wetness to my old blue eyes.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

playing the extended version is a good way to hook people to this band...this song is so perfect...it's ART to me..F- Picasso
In my blood, there's gasoline..

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

dime in the gutter wrote:muscle and gut

The biggest, meanest motherfucker at R&D Trucking.
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

I love the drumming on the studio cut. Powerful, but not flashy at all.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Love the extended story - and speaking of, anyone else notice that Stockton, CA declared bankruptcy a few weeks ago? And San Bernardino today. And Mammoth Lakes earlier. Scary.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

ramonz wrote:Love the extended story - and speaking of, anyone else notice that Stockton, CA declared bankruptcy a few weeks ago? And San Bernardino today. And Mammoth Lakes earlier. Scary.

Yes, very scary but not all that surprising coming about a year after CA resorted to paying its bills w/ scrip for a while.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

Patterson did this at Criminal Records when he played Record Store Day earlier this year - first time I'd ever seen any DBT stuff live. Someone called out for the song, and he said, "Story or the song?" Everyone shouted out "BOTH!" So he did the whole thing. Best introduction to him and the whole DBT live experience.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:Good one Sub. This one was an early favorite when I was first getting into the band. My first thought was "holy shit, a song about a big rig", then I realized that it wasn't about that at all. It was about resiliency, happy endings and how, in the end, everybody needs love. Live, with the whole story it was a life affirming song of the kind that Patterson and the band have always done so well. As the story evolved through the years it became even more so. Unfortunately, as we all know, that story has had it's final chapter now and the song will never be the same, but it did it's job. It's one of those songs that let us in a bit and make us care, and it's only one of many. How many bands have even one?

Absolutely TC, I just watched and put up this killer version as the video of the day
and thought Id put it here as well...I have always loved this song and I to thought
Patterson was saying " Paid her bills" to .,..lol.....but anyways yep I love it.

Here is the video....... :D
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

ford911

Post by ford911 »

How does the story end now that Chester has passed?

I was at the ACL filming and almost cried. Still get chills every time I listen to it.

notdaryet

Post by notdaryet »

great song, but either of the extended versions are the only ones i listen to. those backing vocals on the studio version are really annoying.

-justin

Kevidently

Post by Kevidently »

ford911 wrote:How does the story end now that Chester has passed?

I was at the ACL filming and almost cried. Still get chills every time I listen to it.

When Patterson introduced it at Criminal Records, he said, "I don't do this much anymore, because Chester's gone." But that was the only intro to it. He's left the rest of the story the same.

sjsteuck

Post by sjsteuck »

They performed the song last night in Madison. Patterson mentioned his mom is now engaged to a dude she met through Match.com.

Sub

Post by Sub »

sjsteuck wrote:They performed the song last night in Madison. Patterson mentioned his mom is now engaged to a dude she met through Match.com.
Sounds like a new song in the making.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Sub wrote:
sjsteuck wrote:They performed the song last night in Madison. Patterson mentioned his mom is now engaged to a dude she met through Match.com.
Sounds like a new song in the making.
64 gigs of love?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

drommel56

Post by drommel56 »

"I was broke, and I didn't have no money".
I would like to apologize to anybody that I have not offended. Please be patient, I will get to you.

disgruntledgoat

Post by disgruntledgoat »

"Three TV Sets like Elvis The King used to have"

JustATrucker

Post by JustATrucker »

Ok, bear with me on this, I promise it all ties together.

I had an epiphany tonight. We live in Madison, AL (Think Huntsville) and we were going to Florence for my son's basketball game. On the way over we saw a sign for a company Ballantine Trucking. My MIL said that her old employee's father name was Ballantine and he owned a little place called R&D Trucking.

I perked up and asked the name again and she repeated "R&D Trucking!" I about lost it. I proceeded to tell them the love story that we all know so well.

Been a Trucker fan for many many years and it's like I found a lost puzzle piece tonight.

Thanks for lending my your ear.

Peace Y'all!

Les
I have my own Rock Show in my head.

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

What a great story and connection to the song! Thank you for sharing. If you are new to 3DD, please don’t be a stranger; we are a pretty friendly group!!!
JustATrucker wrote:
Fri Jan 15, 2021 11:47 pm
Ok, bear with me on this, I promise it all ties together.

I had an epiphany tonight. We live in Madison, AL (Think Huntsville) and we were going to Florence for my son's basketball game. On the way over we saw a sign for a company Ballantine Trucking. My MIL said that her old employee's father name was Ballantine and he owned a little place called R&D Trucking.

I perked up and asked the name again and she repeated "R&D Trucking!" I about lost it. I proceeded to tell them the love story that we all know so well.

Been a Trucker fan for many many years and it's like I found a lost puzzle piece tonight.

Thanks for lending my your ear.

Peace Y'all!

Les