DBT Tracks#94/95: When the Pin Hits the Shell/Do it Yourself

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Re: DBT Tracks#94/95: When the Pin Hits the Shell/Do it Your

Post by beantownbubba »

Holy shit fistfight.

Big hugs.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

chickenwingpuke

Post by chickenwingpuke »

You Sir are a good man. I'm sorry you and your friend and his family had to go through all that. I hope you're still able to be there for his wife and kid.

fistfightsandtears wrote:I had similar situation growing up and when I first got a hold of DD both these songs stood out for that reason. I had a friend and we both started together doing the parting “hard” and damn it was fun. Shit beyond fun it was insane, but then again it was still new to us. As time grew on I kind of grew out of things and he just got deeper in. he couldn’t hold a job meanwhile I kept moving up. He treated his wife like shit and gave no thought to his little boy. I helped out the family as much as I could and him. After a while I had to give up on helping him find work, I would give someone my word and he wouldn’t even show up. Things started getting way out hand at his house and his wife would call me to come and help out. I finally talked his wife into leaving him(not for me, for her and kid) she said he kept telling her he would kill himself. After a really charged night she called me and was scared to death. I told her to leave and take the kid and get a hotel and I’d pay. She said “he keeps saying he’s gonna kill himself”. Finally I was pissed and said “if that’s the case, I’ll buy the fucking bullet” the next day he was found hung in her front yard.

Kinda a shity thing to say but I still stand behind it.I didn’t go to the funeral and still haven’t seen the grave site. So when I heard Patterson say “Who's to blame for the loveless marriage, who's to blame for the broken band. You ran from life and all of it pleasures, your own teeth marks on your own damned hand. Thrown out before the date's expired, you'd rather die than let anyone help, You'd rather die than take a stab at living.
Nothing would kill you so you do it yourself…sorry thing to do to your little boy” and Cooley say “It wouldn't do you no good to let you know that it damned near killed me too,so I ain't gonna mourn for you, man, now that you're gone”

It kinda relieves a little guilt

bluekhakis

Post by bluekhakis »

For what its worth, I think 'When the Pin Hits the Shell' is Cooley best song. Its poetry.

alquina
Location: Indiana girl from a town a man with a "T" wrote a song about!

Post by alquina »

I love both of these songs. Great job on this post!

jr29

Post by jr29 »

bluekhakis wrote:For what its worth, I think 'When the Pin Hits the Shell' is Cooley best song. Its poetry.
"When the Pin Hits The Shell" has turned into my favorite song, ever. I know the song was written about suicide but it has always been about substance abuse and accountability to me.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Pin is definitely the more mature song regarding suicide. I used to love "DIY" but not so much anymore as it's a gross misunderstanding of the suicidal mindset. It is an honest expression of what the living go through in the aftermath of a suicide though.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

bluekhakis wrote:For what its worth, I think 'When the Pin Hits the Shell' is Cooley best song. Its poetry.
In an ever-growing catalog of incredible songs, I think I might be right there with you. "Zip City" is as sacred a cow as there is, but "Pin" continues to blow me away today. Had it on a few days ago and just kept saying, "Great fuckin' song" over and over to myself.

You can lie to your Mama, you can lie to your race
But you can't lie to nobody with that cold steel in your face...
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

walthers

Post by walthers »

Yes sir. This is one of my top songs, not just DBT, of all time.