Wilmington, NC - April 20th

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Tyler
Site Admin

Wilmington, NC - April 20th

Post by Tyler »

So the DBT's are coming into Wilmington on a day that I know is very near and dear to some of you....

Who's in for this?

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Wilmington, NC - April 20th

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I may go but since I'm much closer to Carrboro, I may attend the Cat's Cradle show. I'm just waiting to see if there's going to be an opener for the Cradle show and who it's going to be. I'd love to see Megafaun and the DBTs on the same bill but with gas prices the way they are I may just stick closer to home.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Planning on hitting this show. We have been told of a tentative start time of 830/9, is that correct? Just want to make sure we make it to Wilmington before show starts. (says megafaun starting at 630).

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

I would expect start time to be one hour or more earlier than usual. I know last year the show as over by like 10 or 10:30. It's an outdoor venue with residential homes not too far away, so there's certainly a noise curfew in effect.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Tyler wrote:I would expect start time to be one hour or more earlier than usual. I know last year the show as over by like 10 or 10:30. It's an outdoor venue with residential homes not too far away, so there's certainly a noise curfew in effect.

Thanks. Good to know. Earlier than normal show and outside so planning on bringing our daughter to her first rock show. See y'all there.

Hud

Post by Hud »

G.Amp has strict 10pm curfew on weekends.

Jeff Sipe, Mike seal are playing at the Rust Nail (very close to the ampitheater) for $5. The Rusty Nail is a small, hole in the wall bar....cool place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQb3tpqOT68
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

Coming down from Raleigh for this show. Anybody have an extra pair of tickets?

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

On another note, if anyone is looking for a hotel room for this show, I just booked a room on Priceline. I bid $32 for a 2* and got a reservation at the Jameson Inn in Wilmington. With tax and fees, it comes out to about $41 total per night. Can't beat that price.

Kudzu Guillotine

09Gamecock wrote:Coming down from Raleigh for this show. Anybody have an extra pair of tickets?

I don't see any signs of it being sold out on the Greenfield Lake Amphitheatre site. Looks like Etix still has some for sale.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
09Gamecock wrote:Coming down from Raleigh for this show. Anybody have an extra pair of tickets?

I don't see any signs of it being sold out on the Greenfield Lake Amphitheatre site. Looks like Etix still has some for sale.

Yeah, they're back up. It had said "SOLD OUT" this morning. Either more were released or the system was just down.

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

Tonight or tomorrow night would great nights for streaming, no? (Not so subtle hint hint.)
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Buford
Devil
Southern thing
Gravity
Tornadoed

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Ghost
Deeper in
Love like this
Enl

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

3dd
I'm eighteen
Sdz

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Drag the lake
Cartoon gold

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Mercy buckets
Hell no

Encore break

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Weight with megafauna
Marry me
Love
Get your ass
Angels

Thoughts when I get home

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Lots of fun. My 20 month old had a blast and was chanting dbt before encore. Penelope also really enjoyed the weight. Really cool venue and over by 1030, perfect for a kid. Great setlist.

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

Well, I'm back home, finally. What a show. Not real coherent right now so I'll keep this brief. Something really special happened for me, something I'll remember for a long time to come.

At the end of Angels and Fuselage, first Patterson comes over and palms me his pick. Then at the very end EZB walks to the front of the stage and gives me his drumsticks. Very very cool.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Impressive setlist, pissed we missed it. Tracy had to work and couldn't get off in time for us to make it to Wilmington.
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

My daughter has been pumping her fist and yelling dbt at people on the beach all day. Think she came away quite impressed, her only disappointment was that they didnt follow the weight with wheels on the bus.

tmfraley2

Post by tmfraley2 »

If anyone is interested I just posted the show up on etree http://bt.etree.org/details.php?id=554454

Dean

Post by Dean »

1st time poster (other than introductory thread) and was at this show Friday night. First time show as well.

It was everything I thought it would be. In a word-epic. Would have loved to seen 4th Night and Used to Be a Cop, but I'm 18 was pretty freaking hot.

One complaint- sound. Aside from the obvious fuck up early on when the tech guys went out on stage, it sounded "off" to me all night, particularly Cooley's vocals. I don't have the technical vocabulary to describe it, but my buddy said the same thing. Funny, I just read the same thing from someone in the Tabernacle thread.

Also first time at Greenfield and loved the venue as well. Super cool spot to see a great band.

Hud

Post by Hud »

Dean wrote:1st time poster (other than introductory thread) and was at this show Friday night. First time show as well.

It was everything I thought it would be. In a word-epic. Would have loved to seen 4th Night and Used to Be a Cop, but I'm 18 was pretty freaking hot.

One complaint- sound. Aside from the obvious fuck up early on when the tech guys went out on stage, it sounded "off" to me all night, particularly Cooley's vocals. I don't have the technical vocabulary to describe it, but my buddy said the same thing. Funny, I just read the same thing from someone in the Tabernacle thread.

Also first time at Greenfield and loved the venue as well. Super cool spot to see a great band.

I was down front between Hood & Cooley, a couple rows back. The sound improved around after the 4th song.... some, but went from not hearing Neff at all to barely hearing Neff(on guitar, could hear pedal steel fine) Maybe my location? Cooley & Patterson sounded great in that spot. Had a blast! Fun show, good people in that area.
I've seen my future and I'm scared to close my eyes

Kudzu Guillotine

I'm glad to see so many good bands coming to the Wilmington area again. Back in the days of the Mad Monk they used to bring in lot of the same bands that would play Roadies in Goldsboro, the Attic in Greenville and the Switch in Raleigh but somewhere along the line, live music in the Eastern part of the state took a pretty strong hit. Some areas, such as Greenville and Goldsboro, have never fully recovered but Wilmington has thanks to venues like Greenfield Lake Ampitheatre, the Soapbox Laundro-Lounge, the newly opened Brooklyn Arts Center and a very cool radio station in the Penguin who just recently started streaming their signal. It's not unusual to hear bands like the Truckers on the many college radio stations we have up here in the Triangle but there's not a single commercial radio station in the area that plays them.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim&Jewell

Post by Jim&Jewell »

I'm an old fart and have seen hundreds of concerts in my life, but this show was truly magical. DBT puts their heart and soul in every show. If you can't feel it you can't feel. This night was special, though. It was my wife's first rock show. She can't quit talking about the music and equally important the love she felt from the whole crowd. She said it reminded her of when the Holy Spirit hits you in church. (She grew up Southern Baptist.) I just call it chicken skin! The venue was equally amazing. The "cause no trouble and not get in trouble" was like the old days. Everyone involved in the event deserves a toast with the finest whiskey. City of Wilmington included. We live near Myrtle Beach and never see anything that even comes close. Love to all. Counting the days 'til the next Rock Show.
Can you tell me how to tell when I've had enough?

Dean

Post by Dean »

Hud wrote:
Dean wrote:1st time poster (other than introductory thread) and was at this show Friday night. First time show as well.

I was down front between Hood & Cooley, a couple rows back. The sound improved around after the 4th song.... some, but went from not hearing Neff at all to barely hearing Neff(on guitar, could hear pedal steel fine) Maybe my location? Cooley & Patterson sounded great in that spot. Had a blast! Fun show, good people in that area.

Cooley's vocals just seemed too "bright" or out front or something... other than that, it was great.

And kudzu, I am from Goldsboro and although I was a little young for roadies, I remember the attic all too well and saw many great bands there. Downtown Wilmington has it going on. Love that town.

Kudzu Guillotine

Dean wrote:And kudzu, I am from Goldsboro and although I was a little young for roadies, I remember the attic all too well and saw many great bands there. Downtown Wilmington has it going on. Love that town.

I grew up in Goldsboro and feel fortunate that we ever had a place like Roadies. I don't think there was anything like it before (as far as the big names they would bring in) and there definitely hasn't been anything like it since. Those were also the days when it wasn't unusual to have big day long outdoor festivals (such as Noon To Moon in Benson and the concerts they used to have at the Plantation Music Park in Trenton) where almost anything was acceptable. I moved to the coast in the early 90s but by the time the end of the decade rolled around I found myself traveling up to the Triangle to see the Truckers, Southern Culture On the Skids, Whiskeytown, Ryan Adams and others. People didn't know who they were down there and the clubs had zero interest in booking them. The hurricanes ended up driving me and my family out of that area by the mid-00's which eventually led to me moving to the Triangle where there is no shortage of concerts. I miss the ocean a great deal but I don't miss having to pack up everything anytime there's a threat of a hurricane making landfall. The Gourds are playing the Beaufort Music Festival this year, I hope they get a huge turnout.