Just Hood & Cooley

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

211poundsofpork

Just Hood & Cooley

Post by 211poundsofpork »

Just to segue from that thread "News from the HOOD (bassist revealed)" and one of the last posts concerning the possibility of Hood and Cooley being the sole songwriters of the next album:
I, for one am very excited about that possibility (no offense to Shonna Tucker and her contributions to the past three) because could this possibly mean we could see more Cooley contributions a la Brighter Than Creations Dark? Most likely (imo) it will be a 3/4 Hood written album, but I would be very pleased to see the next album be a 60/40 split (60 being Hood). I always am excited to see what Cooley is coming up with next, especially with the recent thread regarding his new song from one of those recent solo shows?

Just please no more "Lisa's Birthday"'s. Thank you.

Tyler
Site Admin

Re: Just Hood & Cooley

Post by Tyler »

I dunno. Wouldn't mind Jay bringing one or two in, actually.

211poundsofpork

ooops, sorry. I forgot about Jay. I'd be interested to hear what he might bring to the table as well...
Still, we need more Cooley ROCKERS!

UncleFrank1990

Post by UncleFrank1990 »

I'm torn on the issue. I love the three songwriter dynamic, but I also know that fewer songwriters probably means more Cooley numbers, and that is a definite plus in my book. Maybe they throw a cover or two on the next album? I don't know. Either way, I'm craving more new music.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

211poundsofpork wrote:

blasphemous.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

BTCD was an aberration. Cooley's not a high output songwriter
Always go to the show

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Smitty wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:

blasphemous.

x2 Smitty. "Lisa's Birthday" catches a lot of hate around here, but I think it's a terrific song.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Clams

Post by Clams »

Smarty Jones wrote:
Smitty wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:

blasphemous.

x2 Smitty. "Lisa's Birthday" catches a lot of hate around here, but I think it's a terrific song.

x3 love it
If you don't run you rust

mwh

Post by mwh »

Smarty Jones wrote:
Smitty wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:

blasphemous.

-1 I hate it. HATE IT! Also, I kinda hate Weakest Man too. So, yeah, more Birthday Boys less classic country.

Edited for more blasphemy

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

211poundsofpork wrote:Just please no more "Lisa's Birthday"'s. Thank you.

Smitty wrote:blasphemous.

Smarty Jones wrote:x2 Smitty. "Lisa's Birthday" catches a lot of hate around here, but I think it's a terrific song.

Clams wrote:x3 love it

mwh wrote:-1 I hate it. HATE IT! Also, I kinda hate Weakest Man too. So, yeah, more Birthday Boys less classic country.

Lisa's Birthday is a nearly perfect song. Weakest Man isn't.

EDITED because I attributed the correct sentiments but not the correct quotes to the correct people.
AND AGAIN so Clams won't feel left out.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

Duke Silver

Post by Duke Silver »

yeah, lisa's birthday kicks ass. more like that, please. checkout time, too.

like others have said, i don't think the presence of a third songwriter has ever kept cooley songs off albums. pretty much everything he writes gets included, unless he decides to hold onto it for a while (like weakest man, pulaski, etc). the fact that he's already trying out new stuff at his solo shows bodes well for his output on the next album, i hope.
ain't no static on the gospel radio

BigTom
Site Admin

Post by BigTom »

Smitty wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:

blasphemous.

x4
Tumble down shack in Bigfoot County

sg207

Post by sg207 »

Jonicont wrote:BTCD was an aberration. Cooley's not a high output songwriter

This is what I was thinking. My guess is that just about anything Cooley brings to the table and wants to have on the album, probably gets put on.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

JimmerDette
Location: Somewhere in the Midwest.......waitin for the rock show!

Post by JimmerDette »

Any Cooley is great Cooley............I personally love Lisa's Birthday and Weakest Man. His strength really is in his ability to write great old time country songs. Weakest man to me is so good because of its duel meaning......could be about a girl could be about alcohol. Regardless of what the truth is, I see it either way lyrically. That is a great skill. Then he also writes ones that are straight forward like Lis'a Birthday that are great storytelling. I feel the longer they take a break the better chance there is for more Cooley contributions. I would love to see a 50/50 album of about 16 songs myself. Sure one or two may not be the greatest but I want more! 8-) I do like the idea of Jay G. getting a few songs. I feel he would bring a very different vibe lyrically that would be cool.
Last edited by JimmerDette on Thu Mar 01, 2012 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

JimmerDette wrote:His strength really is in his ability to write great old time country songs.

Quoted for truth.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smarty Jones wrote:
JimmerDette wrote:His strength really is in his ability to write great old time country songs.

Quoted for truth.

Nobody today writes a traditional country song better than Cooley.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

dee dee

Post by dee dee »

x4. I hope Cooley keeps the perfect balance of classic country and kick ass rock n roll coming for years to come.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Patterson came right out and said in an interview that he wants it to be close to 50/50 between him and Cooley on the next one. He said that is another reason for the lay off.

Cooley doesn't right at near the rate patterson does, we all know that. But how do we know how many songs Cooley has laying around that haven't been on an album yet. I can think of three very good ones right off the top of my head. Those are just the ones that I know about. I'm sure there are more. Heck, Pulaski had been around for a long time before it went on a record and it's a great song.

I can't understand the dislike of Lisa's Birthday and The Weakest Man. I love Lisa's birthday and like the Weakest Man. I will admit to TWM being one of his lesser songs though. To me, old school country is something that Cooley kicks ass at doing. And if a person hates that sound, I'm kind of surprised they love Cooley songs to begin with. Even the rocking ones have a dash of that flavor even if it in nothing but phrasing of the lyrics or expression of thought. Just my opinion.

And I have always loved the three singer thing but if Jay is going to be the third singer, his songs don't need to sound anything like Mess of Happiness. Those aren't bad songs. But nothing like that is going to fit on a DBT record.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

mwh

Post by mwh »

Smarty Jones wrote:

Quoted for truth.

Disagree entirely. Women Without Whiskey, One of these Days, Zip City, Marry Me, Birthday Boy.... Cooley's strength is in writing rockers.

Cole Younger wrote:I can't understand the dislike of Lisa's Birthday and The Weakest Man. I love Lisa's birthday and like the Weakest Man. I will admit to TWM being one of his lesser songs though. To me, old school country is something that Cooley kicks ass at doing. And if a person hates that sound, I'm kind of surprised they love Cooley songs to begin with. Even the rocking ones have a dash of that flavor even if it in nothing but phrasing of the lyrics or expression of thought. Just my opinion.

Not talking about the lyrics or the "flavor". You can say WWW is country lyrics set to rock music and I wouldn't disagree with that. But it's the music on Lisa's Birthday and Weaskest Man that I can't hardly listen to. Worst songs in the DBT catalog IMO.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:I can't understand the dislike of Lisa's Birthday and The Weakest Man. I love Lisa's birthday and like the Weakest Man. I will admit to TWM being one of his lesser songs though. To me, old school country is something that Cooley kicks ass at doing. And if a person hates that sound, I'm kind of surprised they love Cooley songs to begin with.

Cooley aside, I find it hard to believe that anyone that's a fan of the Drive-By Truckers in general isn't also a fan of traditional or even non-traditional (whatever that is) country. When I first heard them in the late 90s, the country side of their sound is largely what I found appealing about them. There was a time when I was really all that into the older country music such as Tom T. Hall, Merle Haggard and the like but as the years have gone by I've grown to appreciate it a lot more. I'm still not a huge fan of some of it but I have developed a deeper respect for it. To my ears, it's a big part of the Truckers sound, even when it comes to Patterson.

fistfightsandtears

Post by fistfightsandtears »

True Cooley doesnt put out the volume that i would love to hear, but i believe he may be OCD when it comes to his music and just doesnt want it out there till its perfect in his ears, if that the case than the OCD kicks ass and ill patienly wait. there's not one Cooley song that i dislike or could ever skip in a rotation. I love Lisa's Birthday, TWM and Bob.I grew up listening to what was left of the 70's southern rock and classic rock. you never saw me without a Led Zeppilin Shirt, But before i started digging into the internet, satelite, and small dive bars.mainstream and FM radio killed the favorite classics and the new new shit isnt even ??????? i dont know what to even call it. thats when i had to find something new and the older country stuff reall struck me (as Cooley has said) "A truer Sound". I would love to hear some new rock outs and just as equally some good ole country.

Oh Yeah when i first heard Space City i didnt care for it cause i thought it was to damn depressing but one night while having a beer around the fire in my yard i was pondering one of lifes big questions(should i pour another beer or a pitcher) on a random shuffle space city came on an i caught the lyrics(not understanding why it was just know i did)but lets just say i poured a pitcher

sorry poundsofpork i know your thread was meant in another direction and i totally agree with the first part but the Lisa's Birthday kindda lit a match in a dry hay barn
its kinda like an erection at church, you just can't beat it

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Smitty wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:

blasphemous.

EDIT: x8 or whatever

Also, somewhat of an aside, but Checkout Time is my 2nd least favorite Cooley song. I definitely enjoy Weakest Man.

211poundsofpork

I have to stay solid on my stance with that song (Lisa's B'day). It never really caught on with me. Sounds to much like Randy Travis. I love country Cooley almost as rockin' Cooley - but to an extent. I also agree with "The Weakest Man" being sort of weak as well. Eyes Like Glue on the other hand... ...Love it! Beauty.

-1 I hate it. HATE IT! Also, I kinda hate Weakest Man too. So, yeah, more Birthday Boys less classic country.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

I like Cooley doing country, but was disappointed that all 3 of his songs on GGB were country. Cooley needs to rock.

I don't love all his country stuff, though. I pretty much hated country music (outside of Johnny Cash) before getting into DBT, and still don't listen to much classic stuff.

All that said, "Love Like This" is probably my favorite country song ever. It's pretty much perfect
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

211poundsofpork

Zip City wrote:I like Cooley doing country, but was disappointed that all 3 of his songs on GGB were country. Cooley needs to rock.

I don't love all his country stuff, though. I pretty much hated country music (outside of Johnny Cash) before getting into DBT, and still don't listen to much classic stuff.

All that said, "Love Like This" is probably my favorite country song ever. It's pretty much perfect

In total agreement! "Love Like This" used to be my least favorite song on Pizza Deliverance next to "Zoloft" and "tPPiM" - but after a few more listens, my appreciation grew. Now LLT and One of These Days are my favorites off of that album along with Too Much Sex.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

Iowan wrote:
Smitty wrote:
211poundsofpork wrote:

blasphemous.

Also, somewhat of an aside, but Checkout Time is my 2nd least favorite Cooley song. I definitely enjoy Weakest Man.

wow, i've got to say checkout time is prob my favorite "sleeper hit" of all of cooley's songs....it's not my favorite of his but there's just something about that one i love. i was really hoping he was going to play that during his solo run. i got into the truckers from seeing them live & sro but i was never a country fan outside of some cash. dtb (esp cooley) have def influenced me to check out older stuff & appreciate it & learn to love some artists i never would have listened to before. also, def love like this is one of cooley's best & one of the best country songs all time.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

rawkshow wrote:
Iowan wrote:
Smitty wrote:
blasphemous.

wow, i've got to say checkout time is prob my favorite "sleeper hit" of all of cooley's songs....it's not my favorite of his but there's just something about that one i love. i was really hoping he was going to play that during his solo run. i got into the truckers from seeing them live & sro but i was never a country fan outside of some cash. dtb (esp cooley) have def influenced me to check out older stuff & appreciate it & learn to love some artists i never would have listened to before. also, def love like this is one of cooley's best & one of the best country songs all time.

I think your thoughts on this are far more typical than mine. I think I'm the only person not wild about that song.

Sub

Post by Sub »

I don't care to much for checkout time and find it a bit boring.

Clams

Post by Clams »

rawkshow wrote:wow, i've got to say checkout time is prob my favorite "sleeper hit" of all of cooley's songs....

x2 the song is dark in all the right ways
If you don't run you rust

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

It's so odd to me to hear somebody say that they don't like country and then follow that up by qualifying it with the exception of their love of Johnny Cash. LOL.

Johnny Cash is about as country as you can get. So it's odd to me that if a person likes him, they don't also like George Jones, Waylon Jennings etc.

The Cash phenomenon is a weird one. Some time in the early 90s it became cool to like Johnny Cash. I'm not saying that people who don't normally listen to country don't genuinely like him. It's just odd to me that they choose something that is so country right down to the bone. I like him but honestly like Waylon Jennings a lot more.

As for Checkout Time, to me, where that song goes from being good to being great is the "They'll be after me, by the time the buffet closes..." line.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.