Kevn Kinney & The Golden Palominos cover Never G

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

zoid

Kevn Kinney & The Golden Palominos cover Never G

Post by zoid »

Has anyone heard the new Kevn Kinney and the Golden Palominos CD? It opens with a cover of Never Gonna Change.

There are a few live clips on youtube with Kevn covering the song.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fl1YgQGbFmE
Last edited by zoid on Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kudzu Guillotine

Re: Kevin Kinney & The Golden Palominos cover Never G

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

I bought it last night at the show he did with the Kevn Kinney Band (which, in addition to Kevn includes Tim Nielsen on bass, Audley Freed on guitar and Anton Fier on drums) at the Local 506 in Chapel Hill but I haven't listened to it yet. They opened with "Never Gonna Change".

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

It took me a while to place it but in the opening chords of the YouTube clip Zoid posted this version sounds like Naked Eye by the Who.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Howlinwolf

Post by Howlinwolf »

Yea, great arrangement of NGC.. Slower groove and a few Georgia references highlight the song.
Oh yea- btw it's Kevn Kinney. Figured this would be in the other bands thread section.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

For some reason I connect The Golden Palominos with Jim Campilongo. Why is that?
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

zoid

Post by zoid »

Howlinwolf wrote:Yea, great arrangement of NGC.. Slower groove and a few Georgia references highlight the song.
Oh yea- btw it's Kevn Kinney. Figured this would be in the other bands thread section.

And I thought Amazon misspelled his name. After all of these years of me misspelling it I stand corrected.

Kudzu Guillotine

RolanK wrote:For some reason I connect The Golden Palominos with Jim Campilongo. Why is that?

I always thought they were a collective of musicians that revolved around Anton Fier. I only have one Golden Palominos album (Visions of Excess) but according to their bio at AllMusic.com, a collective is pretty much what they were/are.
Last edited by Kudzu Guillotine on Sat Feb 25, 2012 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Van

Re: Kevn Kinney & The Golden Palominos cover Never G

Post by Van »

Howlinwolf wrote:Yea, great arrangement of NGC.. Slower groove and a few Georgia references highlight the song.

Got to thank Howlinwolf for turning me onto this album during DBT weekend in Athens.

Mrs Swamp

Post by Mrs Swamp »

I have always been a fan of Kevn Kinney`s and I love
his version of this song.....thanks for sharing!!!~
I've heard tales of what goes down there ...

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
RolanK wrote:For some reason I connect The Golden Palominos with Jim Campilongo. Why is that?

I always thought they were a collective of musicians that revolved around Anton Fier. I only have one Golden Palominos album (Visions of Excess) but according to their bio at AllMusic.com, a collective is pretty much what they were/are.

I googled it and found Palominos and Campilongo had done some shows together in NYC a couple of years ago. I follow Campilongo on Facebook so I probably saw an ad for those shows back then... I think you're right about the Palominos being a collective.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

must check this out
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

I was really surprised that the turnout at the 506 last week wasn't larger than it was especially given the Audley Freed factor (not to mention the presence of Anton Fier). The dude is a legend in these parts. Back in the 80s he played in a band called Sidewinder along with Robert Kearns (Cry of Love, Bottle Rockets, Lynyrd Skynyrd). It's been a real treat to see them, as well as Brad Rice (Whiskeytown, the Backslilders, Ryan Adams) be so successful in their careers. For Brad, that meant playing with Keith Urban but I'm sure he didn't mind the paycheck.

Kudzu Guillotine

If you listen to the interview you'll hear Kinney pronounce Isbell as "Is-a-bell". Seems like he would know how to say it properly since he not only covers "Never Gonna Change" on his new album but has also shared stages with Jason in the past. Perhaps Jason is just too polite to correct him or has never heard him say his last name (which seems highly unlikely).

Kevn Kinney And Golden Palominos On World Cafe
Kevn Kinney and Anton Fier

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:If you listen to the interview you'll hear Kinney pronounce Isbell as "Is-a-bell". Seems like he would know how to say it properly since he not only covers "Never Gonna Change" on his new album but has also shared stages with Jason in the past. Perhaps Jason is just too polite to correct him or has never heard him say his last name (which seems highly unlikely).

Kevn Kinney And Golden Palominos On World Cafe
Kevn Kinney and Anton Fier

He also fumbles the "all in all is all we are" when he works in covers of "All Apologies". That's always drove me crazy - evidenced in the Tres Tangled Truckers @ Pour DVD
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Never have seen or heard that. Plus, I missed out on that concert. I did attend the second one though.