dbt tracks 86 AFTER the Scene Dies

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Penny Lane

Re: dbt tracks 86 When the Scene Dies

Post by Penny Lane »

RevMatt wrote:. We even had this guy called Snackman (he had a potato chip route) who was not all that talented but wanted to be a performer. He'd go onstage with a guitar in open tuning, a harmonica straped around his neck, and just breath in and out on the harmonica while he played random bar chords. Classic!

:D
Last edited by Penny Lane on Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Penny Lane wrote:
RevMatt wrote:. We even had this guy called Snackman (he had a potato chip route) who was borderline retarded but wanted to be a performer. He'd go onstage with a guitar in open tuning, a harmonica straped around his neck, and just breath in and out on the harmonica while he played random bar chords. Classic!

A little more about the legend of Snackman because I think it is people like this that make our scenes so great.

As I said, Snackman wasn't the brightest guy in the world. I think he lived in Roselle Park with his parents and drove a potato chip truck. He started hanging out at The Cove and was an enthusiastic fan. He'd pull up in the potato chip truck while we were smoking a joint in the parking lot and give out bags of chips that were approaching their expiration date. Perfect cure for the munchies. Cool guy.

One night out in the parking lot he asked one of the guys about guitar lessons. He said his dream was to play open mike night but he didn't know how to play guitar. He planned on buying one and would need lessons.

"Snackman, you don't need lessons, dude. I'll show you how to play and we'll get you on there tonight."

The guy tuned his guitar in an open E tuning, put the appropriate harmonica on the rig and handed it to Snackman.

"Just go up and down the neck with your index finger and breathe in and out on the harmonica. It's easy."

After about ten minutes Snackman got the hang of it so they brought him inside and signed him up. Callahan, of course, was dubious but put him on the bill anyway. When he took the stage the whole place was chanting, "Snackman! Snackman! Snackman!" as another guy plugged the accoustic guitar into the amp and put the microphone up to the harmonica. Snackman played for about five minutes and got a standing ovation which never happened for a first timer at open mike night. A legend was born.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

RevMatt wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:
RevMatt wrote:. We even had this guy called Snackman (he had a potato chip route) who was borderline retarded but wanted to be a performer. He'd go onstage with a guitar in open tuning, a harmonica straped around his neck, and just breath in and out on the harmonica while he played random bar chords. Classic!

A little more about the legend of Snackman because I think it is people like this that make our scenes so great.

As I said, Snackman wasn't the brightest guy in the world. I think he lived in Roselle Park with his parents and drove a potato chip truck. He started hanging out at The Cove and was an enthusiastic fan. He'd pull up in the potato chip truck while we were smoking a joint in the parking lot and give out bags of chips that were approaching their expiration date. Perfect cure for the munchies. Cool guy.

One night out in the parking lot he asked one of the guys about guitar lessons. He said his dream was to play open mike night but he didn't know how to play guitar. He planned on buying one and would need lessons.

"Snackman, you don't need lessons, dude. I'll show you how to play and we'll get you on there tonight."

The guy tuned his guitar in an open E tuning, put the appropriate harmonica on the rig and handed it to Snackman.

"Just go up and down the neck with your index finger and breathe in and out on the harmonica. It's easy."

After about ten minutes Snackman got the hang of it so they brought him inside and signed him up. Callahan, of course, was dubious but put him on the bill anyway. When he took the stage the whole place was chanting, "Snackman! Snackman! Snackman!" as another guy plugged the accoustic guitar into the amp and put the microphone up to the harmonica. Snackman played for about five minutes and got a standing ovation which never happened for a first timer at open mike night. A legend was born.

That is an awsome story and really nice thing yall did. I bet that was one of the greatest things that ever happened to that guy and he will always remember it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

RevMatt

Re: dbt tracks 86 AFTER the Scene Dies

Post by RevMatt »

Snackman was good people and he became a fixture at The Cove on Tuesday Open Mike Night. I did a search on YouTube and here is some footage of the legend himself, Snackman, as he accompanied Brian Malloy. Snackman took to the guitar and made some progress and eventually could play some chords in standard tuning and even some riffs or a solo or too. I cannot believe I found this!
[youtube][/youtube]
A video from 1991 of the Tuesday Open Mike signup at The Cove. Probably won't mean a whole lot to anyone else here but for those of us who were there it is priceless. I think Rob O'Connor filmed this one.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

Apologies to all of you ahead of time for putting up these vids from a dead scene nobody ever heard of but I found another video of a Cove "legend", Lou Glickman. It is a funny story so I will repeat it. Then I'll shut up....well, maybe.

Lou was a strange cat to say the least. Most nights he would just sit in a booth and stare at the wall, not talking to anyone until it was his time to play. He had this deep baritone voice and did nothing but Elvis and Johnny Cash covers. But is real legacy was bringing the Iguana Lady to The Cove. Let me explain.

The Iguana Lady was this 50 plus year old woman who weighed at least 350 pounds. She was the original cougar and had a thing for guys in their late teens and early twenties. The first night Lou played The Cove he showed up with The Iguana Lady. (She got that nickname because sometimes she would bring her pet Iguana.) They were an item. Now, personality wise she was the total opposite of Lou. While Lou rarely spoke at all The Iguana Lady never shut up. And she had terrible boundaries, giving everyone who would listen details about her sex life. Her biggest claim to fame is that she wrote an article that was published in Hustler or one of those magazines about how to give a proper blow job. She would proposition guys by giving them a xeroxed copy of that article. (FYI, I never took her up on the offer.)

Lou decided to go back to his old girlfriend and broke up with The Iguana Lady. The only problem was he had left his motorcycle pins and Johnny Cash cassettes at her trailer and wanted them back. She told him to show up at The Cove on a Sunday afternoon and she would return them. Well, Lou shows up at the bar. The Iguana Lady stands up and, one by one, starts throwing Lou's stuff at him. While she is doing this she is shouting things like, "You think you can fuck me over like that and go back to your little girlfriend! Nobody does that to me and gets away with it!" Total scene.

One of the rules of open mike night was you got three songs. But you could do a fourth song if it was a group song where everyone could play. This, I think, is Lou's version of Elvis' "America Trilogy".

dime in the gutter

Post by dime in the gutter »

great clips, revmatt. more please.

chevy beretta.

sweet.

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

https://vimeo.com/14067976

Don't recall seeing this back in 2010. Toyota Antics? Backstage at Forecastle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

In the event someone here isn't already sufficiently depressed:

Loud Places
The businesses that took over historic rock venues.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

gepman

Post by gepman »

ramonz wrote:https://vimeo.com/14067976

Don't recall seeing this back in 2010. Toyota Antics? Backstage at Forecastle.
thanks for sharing, nice performance of one of my favorite, but underplayed DBT Rock songs.

Toyota Antics...? Not surprised that didn't catch on... ;)

ramonz

Post by ramonz »

Threw TBTD in the CD player on the way home from work today, and I gotta say this song is, imo, one of the very best post-TDS songs. Not sure why they never play it - maybe because it was a Jason-era floater when they recorded it - but it is a fucking stick of dynamite. Was then for sure, and could be again if jammed into the current set and given the attention that, say, the reworked This Fucking Job has gotten. Love both versions of TFJ, but After is a better song. Stick that M80 in the current set and watch it explode. The "don't forget my fries" debate gets way too much airplay - to me it's about a McDonald's taking the old venue space, so it works - but even if it's a lazy line, the song is a fucking monster. I truly think it could be a setlist staple. And I bet it's fun as hell to sing and play.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Yeah I like this one better than I used to. I think I've only caught this one maybe once or twice.

I figure Patterson will bring it out again at some point. I mean I figured I had missed any chance of ever catching Sandwiches For The Road and two years ago at Homecoming he plays it. This one will be back eventually.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

It's full on Patterson channeling Crazy Horse. I can't imagine anyone disliking it

EDIT: I apparently made almost this exact same post 5 years ago. :D
And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Beaverdam

Post by Beaverdam »

Today, after weeks in quarantine, my kids and I are playing in the back deck, and my five year old yells, “Dad, play the song that says, ‘whatcha gonna do when the club shuts down?’”

I was amazed because After the Scene Dies is not a song that I listen to often.

So what are we gonna do when the club shuts down???

SXDX

Post by SXDX »

Beaverdam wrote:Today, after weeks in quarantine, my kids and I are playing in the back deck, and my five year old yells, “Dad, play the song that says, ‘whatcha gonna do when the club shuts down?’”

I was amazed because After the Scene Dies is not a song that I listen to often.

So what are we gonna do when the club shuts down???
When Cooley turns to Jesus and EZB moves away, then we are truly fucked. Until then I remain hopeful.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

The scene is dead and the club has become an old navy. Seemingly because we were following the science. I don't like that science.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

I thought about turning to Jesus myself. But I think I'll stick with gravity and death. Two things in which I can't deny.

LBRod

Post by LBRod »

boyyourself wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 12:31 pm
I thought about turning to Jesus myself. But I think I'll stick with gravity and death. Two things in which I can't deny.
Taxes. Don't forget taxes.
Don't hurt people, and don't take their stuff.

boyyourself

Post by boyyourself »

Texas? Yeah that too