Louisville show Feb 9th

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

rlipps

Louisville show Feb 9th

Post by rlipps »

Wasn't sure if I was going to make this show or not, as it was on a weeknight and we're also trying to watch what we spend with a new home, but my awesome wife surprised me with tickets last night for my birthday. Anyone else planning on making this show? Headliners is one of my favorite venues to see the Truckers and it's also the place when I saw what I'd consider the best DBT show I've ever been to, Sept 9th, 2004 w/Allison Moorer opening. Nikki Lane is the opener for this show, not familiar with any of her work, so I'll have to look her up before then. I'm assuming Barbe will still be on bass during this run of shows, kinda excited about seeing that too.

bootlegend

Re: Louisville show Feb 9th

Post by bootlegend »

I'm thinking about trying to make it to that show, but I haven't purchased tickets yet. There's a Chris Knight show the next night at Uncle Slayton's that I really want to go to also. I need to just buck up and go to the Truckers show and roll in to work Friday morning on no sleep and with my ears still ringing. Not often you get two quality shows back to back dates.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

I am very excited about this show and like rlipps, I am curious as to what dynamic Barbe will bring to the band live. I have heard a lot of good things about Headliners since moving to the area and can't wait to experience the venue.
Don't you dare cock block the rock (™)Smitty 2016 all rights reserved.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

OkieinTexas wrote:I am very excited about this show and like rlipps, I am curious as to what dynamic Barbe will bring to the band live. I have heard a lot of good things about Headliners since moving to the area and can't wait to experience the venue.

Dynamic is certainly the right word!
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

mikem

Post by mikem »

Can't wait

Coming in from columbus

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

I have a ticket - and unfortunately an exam at 8 that night! :x

The earliest I can leave the exam is 8:20 and I still have no way of getting to Louisville at that time of night. If anyone knows someone who's going through Lexington to the show and could give me a lift...I'll pay for gas...please???? I already had to miss Athens because of school, I'll die if I miss them playing right here in KY!! :( :(
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Oh, Sh**te. I'm probably going to Cincinatti the following week (business). But I guess there is no way I can convince my company and family (or my self, for that matter) that I need to fly over four days in advance to "prepare".
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

sg207

Post by sg207 »

I'll be there, driving down from Cincinnati. I was hoping to hit Nashville during the weekend to, but I don't think that's going to work. I'll at least make Headliner's though. And I'm sad that I can't head down early and hit Ear X-Tacy, I always looked forward to that too in the past.
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

Dammit. I'll be in Alabama, recording the new Wooden Wand album! Just my luck.

Who the hell is Nikki Lane and how is someone none of us has ever heard of manage to snag such a coveted opening slot? I'm guessing she's really hot?

mikem

Post by mikem »

Ear xtasy closed down..right????

Check out underground Sounds. Always liked it better

Gonna be My first Shonna..less show

Sucks

sg207

Post by sg207 »

mikem wrote:Ear xtasy closed down..right????

Check out underground Sounds. Always liked it better

Gonna be My first Shonna..less show

Sucks

Where is Underground Sounds? I'm not familiar with it, but I don't make it to Louisville all that often.

And I completely agree on the Shonna kick. I can't really imagine the band without her. But then again, I can't imagine a change in bass players holding them back either.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

jimmyjack wrote:
Dammit. I'll be in Alabama, recording the new Wooden Wand album! Just my luck.

Checked out Wooden Wand. That is good stuff.

mikem

Post by mikem »

ForgetMyFries

Post by ForgetMyFries »

2 weeks til go time...
Im not good with numbers, I just count on knowing when I'm high enough..

jimmyjack

Post by jimmyjack »

OkieinTexas wrote:
j

Checked out Wooden Wand. That is good stuff.

Thanks man! Hope you checked out Briarwood - the latest (and best) one...

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Pining here...exhausting all options. I'm seriously thinking a part of me is going to die if I don't make this show. I'm not hopeful they'll be returning to KY anytime soon after this...

But I'm still hoping - is there anyone that can give me a ride from Lexington to Louisville??

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Follow - up: There is a God, and He must love me very much.

T-minus eight days to my next RAWK SHOW!!

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

One week until the Rawk Show!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Would really like to hear Girls Who Smoke, especially since they've been playing it lately after a lengthy hiatus. Also wouldn't mind hearing One of These Days, haven't caught that one live in a few years.

I'm assuming Barbe will be on bass for this show, but does any know for sure?

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Just found out I have an extra for this show if anyone is interested. Take the face value of $25 for it and I'll eat the service fees. If anyone needs it, send me a message on here and we can work out the details.

OkieinTexas

Post by OkieinTexas »

I am really hoping to hear "The Southern Thing" at this show. Please!

sg207

Post by sg207 »

TONIGHT!!!

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Leaving now! First, class. Then, an exam. Then DBT in Louisville!

I'll prolly get there after the opener's set. But should get there before DBT starts. Can't wait!!!

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Just got to Headliners, missed the opener. Very eclectic crowd, I'd describe it as fratastically hipster, at least around me

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

I Do Believe
Where the Devil Don't Stay
Sinkhole
Uncle Frank
Daddy Learned to Fly
Self Destructive Zones
Used to be a Cop
Cartoon Gold
Box of Spiders
Carl Perkins' Cadillac 
Feb 14
Women Without Whiskey
Goodesfield Road
3 Dimes Down
That Man I Shot
Get Downtown
Ronnie & Neil
Marry Me
Hell No I Ain't Happy

Encore:
Birthday Boy
Girls Who Smoke
Zip City
Let There Be Rock
Shut Up & Get on the Plane
Angels & Fuselage

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

^^^^^
Thanks for the setlist.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

Just made it back to Lexington, safe and sound!

I harvested lettuce at an organic farm in the freezing cold, bombed my exam and ran across campus to my ride to get to the show in time. The guy who drove me there also didn't seem fazed at all by going 90+ mph along the highway, and I'm still too fresh out of a car wreck to not be unsettled a little at that. The bridge across I-64 was closed for construction, so we had to take a long detour around -- and amazingly, I still got there just as the band struck up "I Do Believe"!

Remind me next time I come to the show late to wear high heels. I stood on tiptoe the whole show, and was afforded glimpses of the band's heads over really tall heads that swayed back and forth and made me dizzy just trying to bob my view around them. The only way I managed tippy toes for two and half hours was to stand on my platform, strengthened from 4 years of high school marching band (whoever knew that would come in handy?) I'm currently staring at the bruises on my feet and I can only laugh. They were SO worth it. My pictures sucked. No keepers from this show. Which was a shame. From what I could see of the show, it was killer.

The month-long rest was really great for DBT. There were no road-weary troupers on stage tonight. The band really seemed refreshed, loving life and their job. Patterson was incredibly animated, stomping and smiling and shredding. His guitar solo on "Uncle Frank" was a highlight - I just love that part. The energy he poured into his performance tonight was quite unlike any show I have seen. Cooley had a fresh haircut and a shit-eating smirk on his face and in every song, every solo, every gesture, every movement, seemed to convey that he actually knew just how fucking alsum he really is. He actually pulled out his Reverend guitar for "Angels and Fuselage," which I'd never seen him do before. Johnny was smoking all night long. He just went to town and cleaned everything out. It was almost as if he was playing a game of chess against himself, pedal steel vs. slide guitar, constantly trying to best his previous play. It was a draw for me, he sounded incredible on every song. Couldn't see Jay or Brad much, but Jay's keys consistently proved just how vital he is to the Truckers' sound. Barbe really looked like he was having fun - he grooved and grinned from beginning to end. I loved watching him as "Angels and Fuselage" wound down - it's been said many times before, but he is one hell of a great bass player.

Loved the acoustic break for "Cartoon Gold" and "Box of Spiders." I really missed hearing the acoustic-based side of DBT during the DC run. And they also played "Girls Who Smoke" again! (CooleyGirl, I just know you will FINALLY get it this weekend in Nashville!) OkieinTexas, it was wonderful meeting you and getting to jam alongside you during the encore! Craig, thanks for remembering me and giving me a hug when I stopped by the merch booth on my way out!

And now it's over and I have class in 3 hours. :cry: I will be there in body only after the night I've had. But oh, God, am I so glad I went!!!! Tonight was one of those shows where just when I thought I couldn't possibly love this band any more than I already do, they prove me wrong. It was a surreal evening in what has otherwise been a miserable week. Now, according to my watch, the next time they stop in KY it should be in Lexington again! ;)

Good morning, y'all and have fun this weekend for everyone going to Nashville! Smarty out.

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

Show ended up selling out, so I left my extra at the door and told them to give it to someone that could use it. One of my favorite setlists from any show I've been to in a while. Cooley was really enjoying himself, had that rock star swagger in full effect. Barbe's bass sounded killer, he looked like he was having a blast as well. Got a great deal on the leftover shirts from NYE and Athens, $10 each, and also picked up GGB on vinyl to complete my DBT collection on that format.

Only downer was some dude had a heart attack early in the show. Paramedics had to wheel him out, hope he was ok. I stayed back next to the merch booth all night, less crowded and cooler, since I was next to an open window. Got to talk to Craig for a minute, he was super nice as usual. Thanks to DBT for another great show in the Bluegrass State.

ForgetMyFries

Post by ForgetMyFries »

Fuck Yes! My head hurts and my clothes are inside out all over the hotel floor.. The energy the crowd gives south of the Ohio river is amazing, the Devil/sinkhole/franks seemed to get everyone loose early.. Oversold shows are hard to deal with but this crowd seems to handle everyroom ive been in respectably.. Lost my stepfather to a heart attack so I send positive vibes to him and his family.. Cooville first to get our friends then 2 more nights filled with music and honky tonk!!!
Im not good with numbers, I just count on knowing when I'm high enough..

mikem

Post by mikem »

I've Seen this band 20 times or so

Don't know if I'm just still drunk

But that was one of the Best shows I've ever seen