Somebody Has to Ask...

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

beantownbubba

Somebody Has to Ask...

Post by beantownbubba »

Is anybody else at all concerned about all these solo shows and projects the band members are getting up to? I have to admit, as cool as many of these things are individually, collectively they're making me nervous.

Before I go any further, let me be clear: I'm not questioning the right, or the appropriateness, of the band members to do what they want to do, to pursue their artistic muse wherever it leads, to explore new avenues, musical or otherwise or to generally live their lives the way they see fit.

It's just that for me, the number one priority, my first love if u will, is a band called The Drive By Truckers. I really, really, really want that band to keep making new music and to keep doing shows. And again, to be clear, i fully understand that what i want doesn't matter to anyone but me. But it does matter to me.

To these eyes and ears, the whole is better than the sum of the parts by a considerable margin. And I'd hate for any of the "parts" to stumble into the knowledge that they like being on their own more or that being on their own is a whole hell of a lot easier than struggling through the accommodations, arguments and compromises that being in a band requires.

Anyway, that's what i'm worried about so I thought I'd put it out there. Needless to say, I hope I'm wrong.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Sub

Re: Somebody Has to Ask...

Post by Sub »

I see it as a way for them to break up the monotonous grind that comes with keeping a band together after all these years.

Cooley says something like "the hard part is finding something new to be passionate about" in TSTAHE which is probably what they're trying to do.
Last edited by Sub on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I don't have a crystal ball, and I'm not a mind reader, but I'm not particularly worried.

I'm looking at the Cooley shows as a gift to the fans. What a treat if you can get to them! He doesn't do those very often, so if you can go, I wouldn't think too hard about it, just enjoy it! My feeling is this is supposed to be a year where they are not touring as much, so maybe he is trying to sneak in a few more shows when he can, I mean, the man has bills to pay, whether he is out on the road or not, so if the fans are asking for solo shows, why not do it? (That's my guess, anyway)

Patterson has put out solo albums in the past, and I'm excited to hear his latest efforts. When Murdering Oscar came out, he toured behind that, so it wouldn't surprise me if he came out a bit for the new album too, but again, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jay's album is totally different than DBT's work. I happen to love it. However, if he wanted to go out and tour for it, that would be a hell of a lot of work, and it would cost a ton of money. Who knows if it would be worth it to do that? I have no idea? Is it worth it? I'm not sure, much as I love the album, and Jay for that matter, and who am I, anyway, I'm just a fan.

Just my 2 cents.
Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

TDB

Post by TDB »

No offense to ANY of the individual members, but DBT is their bread and butter and I would guess that they know it.
I just think it's great they are giving us these options. Solo shows give you things you can't get with DBT and vice versa.
It's kinda like when Jason left to go solo. My attitude was, "I just doubled my ROCK".

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

CooleyGirl wrote:I don't have a crystal ball, and I'm not a mind reader, but I'm not particularly worried.

I'm looking at the Cooley shows as a gift to the fans. What a treat if you can get to them! He doesn't do those very often, so if you can go, I wouldn't think too hard about it, just enjoy it! My feeling is this is supposed to be a year where they are not touring as much, so maybe he is trying to sneak in a few more shows when he can, I mean, the man has bills to pay, whether he is out on the road or not, so if the fans are asking for solo shows, why not do it? (That's my guess, anyway)

Patterson has put out solo albums in the past, and I'm excited to hear his latest efforts. When Murdering Oscar came out, he toured behind that, so it wouldn't surprise me if he came out a bit for the new album too, but again, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Jay's album is totally different than DBT's work. I happen to love it. However, if he wanted to go out and tour for it, that would be a hell of a lot of work, and it would cost a ton of money. Who knows if it would be worth it to do that? I have no idea? Is it worth it? I'm not sure, much as I love the album, and Jay for that matter, and who am I, anyway, I'm just a fan.

Just my 2 cents.

It does occur to me that Jay would be a really fun opener for a few DBT shows.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

In my marriage, at least, I was always a proponent of separate vacations(as well as ones as a couple). Absence makes the heart grow fonder sort of philosophy. Although my marriage has just come to an end after 21 years, so in the end, what in the hell do I know ?!

Another line of thinking is that with the amount of time this crew spends cooped up together in very intimate quarters, they MUST need a break from each other, which isn't to say they necessarily need a break from performing.

I know what you are saying, but I'm going to believe in the positive notion that as they develop creatively and independently, they stand to offer more to the group upon returning to recording and touring together as a unit.

As many shows as most of us have witnessed in the last several years, we ought to consider ourselves lucky. I, for one, am embracing the excitement of Jay's new album, what Shonna's future might hold, and the prayer that Cooley takes his show on the road a little further from home. And I certainly refuse to believe that it can be anything but good for the group as a whole.

There's also the notion from an artist's point of view, that keeping the fanbase hungry rather than bloated is a necessary thing.

Fear is just empty air dressed as the devil. Bring on the solo stints and collaborations. Not to say I'm bloated on the main course, just hungry for dessert ;) .

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Considering how much they've toured pretty much since they formed I can only see these side projects as a good thing. Some groups are so tightly knit that they never did side projects (I guess I'm thinking mainly of Zeppelin here) while others, like R.E.M., always did things outside of the band. The philosophy being that the time spent on outside projects could only benefit the band once they reconvene. In this case, I think it's very healthy for the DBTs to pursue solo projects.

Maluca3

Post by Maluca3 »

I'm with CooleyGirl. I also find the worry a little funny because I can recall multiple discussions around these parts (or 9B) where people indicated they'd offer eyeteeth, firstborn children and favorite dogs for Cooley shows.
...a long day of improbable and grotesque mischief

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Doesn't strike me as too much of a problem really. The solo shows are just a way to keep the money rolling in whilst they have some down time. I can see Jay doing some solo shows and also playing some of Pattersons solo shows probably with EZB as well. The one I'm most worried about is Neff as there's nothing obvious to keep him occupied but that's probably just my ignorance and he's got loads of stuff lined up. Also wondering what the new bass player's going to be doing?
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

I see at as striking when the iron is hot. I feel that these last few years have been some of the bands biggest, monetarily speaking and perhaps in popularity, so now is a good time to increase exposure on all fronts.

at least they haven't gone all Yim Yames on us.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

bovine knievel wrote:I see at as striking when the iron is hot. I feel that these last few years have been some of the bands biggest, monetarily speaking and perhaps in popularity, so now is a good time to increase exposure on all fronts.

at least they haven't gone all Yim Yames on us.

Yatterson Yood has a nice ring to it.

Seriously though, I'm not at all worried and this didn't even cross my mind. Patterson has made 2 other solo albums since the inception of DBT, and I think Cooley is starting to enjoy being able to do a laid back set of his own stuff. Jay's music CLEARLY wouldn't fit on a DBT record, so he's going to find an outlet somewhere.

Like others here, I too am of the opinion that the band's better off having these types of escapes from each other. I always really look forward to taking a weekend with my buddies, but after a couple days I miss being at home with my fiance and puppy. Same thing kind of applies to the band, I'd think.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Maluca3 wrote:I'm with CooleyGirl. I also find the worry a little funny because I can recall multiple discussions around these parts (or 9B) where people indicated they'd offer eyeteeth, firstborn children and favorite dogs for Cooley shows.

Eyeteeth and children, sure. But my dog? Never.

- bubba

Kudzu Guillotine

dogstar wrote:The one I'm most worried about is Neff as there's nothing obvious to keep him occupied but that's probably just my ignorance and he's got loads of stuff lined up.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not (and I'm apparently the world's worst at picking up on sarcasm online) but if you've ever taken a gander at the guy's resume, he's the one I'd be the least worried about as far as staying busy between recording projects.

bluehens1979

Post by bluehens1979 »

I'm all for it. They should get out to do their own thing for a (brief) time and then come back even stronger. They have to sick of one another by now.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

I don't think there will be any telltale signs that DBT is done. Much like R.E.M., there will merely come a day where you log onto drivebytruckers.com and there it will be. Probably Patterson doing the talking as per usual and it will start out with "Y'all".

With this in mind, there's no reason to read anything into the individual member's peripheral activities. In the case of Cooley, I think the solo shows are just an ultra-rare convergence of time, opportunity and willingness, with the later being the kicker. Cooley, unlike Patterson, has never felt a particularly strong urge to perform solo. I remember Patterson commenting in some article that Cooley isn't a huge fan of playing acoustically in a solo setting, which was a major reason why their "Virgil Kane" incarnation was so short lived. At the end of the day, Cooley Girl is spot-on when she says you should just enjoy it and not regard it as a harbinger of bad news.

Patterson has and always will have other shit going on. I think he needs it.

As for the other members, they're all great but at the same time all replaceable with the possible exception (for me) of EZB, MD.

My gut says at the very least there's another album out by late 2012/early 2013 with a couple of major North American tour legs in 2013. At minimum. But really, I don't think they're anywhere close to being done. Who knows? Maybe they'll be like NRBQ and basically just stay together forever. No reason they can't or shouldn't. By rock band standards, they were already old and uncool when they started, so why let that stop 'em now?

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

In 2010 and 2011 the Truckers probably toured between 20 and 25 weeks a year. To those of us who only go to the shows their lives might seem glamorous. But trust me, a tour bus is nothing more than a glorified bunk house. I think Patterson posted that they only stay in a motel or hotel one night out of the week. The rest of the time it is a daily grind of finding a place to take a shower and a dump. You can't really sleep when the bus is moving, so when the afternoon comes around and we are all pulling into town for our pre-gig meets the band and crew are probably getting a few hours of sleep while they are parked outside the venue. There are probably days when they are envious of our lifestyles. After all, most of us are roughly the same age. We are in a place in our lives where we can follow the band to catch a few shows on a leg of the tour, then return to our homes when we feel like it. Then there are the financial pressures. Most nights the band doesn't know how much they are going to make. Usually the only guaranteed money is from college shows and festivals. When a band goes on the road for a two week tour nobody really knows how much their share will come to at the end.

The band announced last year that they would be taking a year off. Then the "year off" became a lighter touring schedule. There is already a two week west coast swing in March. Add the three dates at the 40 Watt and we are up to 15 shows for 2012. There is a Chicago show at the end of January and three shows in early February in Nashville and Kentucky. That gets us to 19 shows. I would bet there will be an east coast swing in the spring and probably something in the south as well. And my guess is they will take some higher paying festival dates during the summer. When all is said and done, the year off will probably be at least fifty shows for DBT. That doesn't count Patterson touring behind his solo album and whatever Cooley does with the solo shows.

I don't think there is any danger of Drive By Truckers breaking up. Cooley and Hood have been at it since the late eighties. It took them 20 years before they started making decent money doing what they love. Yes, in the 70's bands broke up all the time to pursue solo careers. But that was in the "rock star" era when there was boatloads of money to be made. Nowadays, most recording and touring bands who break up do so because they aren't making money.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

bovine knievel wrote:at least they haven't gone all Yim Yames on us.

Name a solo project or collaboration he's done that hasn't been stellar...

If anything, I question the work he's done lately as Jim James..
In my blood, there's gasoline..

AndyV

Post by AndyV »

Oh no, don't worry about Neff. He stays really busy. I've never seen anyone who loves to play more in my life. If you ever get a chance to catch him with several local bands he knows on the bill, he'll be onstage all night. Poor guy hardly got a chance to breathe here while back when Patterson, Redneck Greece and Barbe did that thing at the Max in Athens.

Kudzu Guillotine

Can't say I think of Neff as "replaceable". Yes, they went a few years without him being a part of the band (at least in a live sense) but I think of him as being just as integral to their sound as Patterson or Cooley. I, for one am glad he came back to the fold as I missed out on seeing him in the band during their early years.

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

Didn't Patterson, on the closing night in Athens, when he said it was their show #101 in Athens, promise there would be at least 101 DBT shows still to come in Athens?

As a complete newbie that just jumped on this train and finally got to see DBT live in Athens, I was fearing I was witnessing a beautiful thing that had been going on for a long time that might not last for many more years. His comment sure made me relax quite a bit.
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Penny Lane wrote:

wasn't implying anything about his efforts, just the weird alter ego thing. Kinda like talking about yourself in the third person
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Can't say I think of Neff as "replaceable". Yes, they went a few years without him being a part of the band (at least in a live sense) but I think of him as being just as integral to their sound as Patterson or Cooley. I, for one am glad he came back to the fold as I missed out on seeing him in the band during their early years.

What Neff brings to the proverbial table is, of course, irreplaceable. But if he left there would likely still be a DBT.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

bovine knievel wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

wasn't implying anything about his efforts, just the weird alter ego thing. Kinda like talking about yourself in the third person

one belt loop does not understand what you mean.

- bubba

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Can't say I think of Neff as "replaceable". Yes, they went a few years without him being a part of the band (at least in a live sense) but I think of him as being just as integral to their sound as Patterson or Cooley. I, for one am glad he came back to the fold as I missed out on seeing him in the band during their early years.

i agree, Neff is the unsung hero of the DBT,
between the hair raising guitar licks and the incredible pedal steel, he'd be sorely missed from the line up.
With that said, there would still be DBT and i'd still be feral for them.

As for the solo work, seems like a way for Cooley to keep himself in tune while getting this extra time at home w/ the family.
I WISH he'd come out west and play acouple dates by himself, but it doesn't seem likely.
If you get the chance to see him solo, you're lucky.
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

beantownbubba wrote:Is anybody else at all concerned about all these solo shows and projects the band members are getting up to? I have to admit, as cool as many of these things are individually, collectively they're making me nervous.

Before I go any further, let me be clear: I'm not questioning the right, or the appropriateness, of the band members to do what they want to do, to pursue their artistic muse wherever it leads, to explore new avenues, musical or otherwise or to generally live their lives the way they see fit.

It's just that for me, the number one priority, my first love if u will, is a band called The Drive By Truckers. I really, really, really want that band to keep making new music and to keep doing shows. And again, to be clear, i fully understand that what i want doesn't matter to anyone but me. But it does matter to me.

To these eyes and ears, the whole is better than the sum of the parts by a considerable margin. And I'd hate for any of the "parts" to stumble into the knowledge that they like being on their own more or that being on their own is a whole hell of a lot easier than struggling through the accommodations, arguments and compromises that being in a band requires.

Anyway, that's what i'm worried about so I thought I'd put it out there. Needless to say, I hope I'm wrong.

My 2 cents about this.

I am not worried. I think after the years and years of touring non stop they need a break. I think that they have stuff they want to do solo but it does not fit in the vein of where they see DBT, but still feel the need to get it out there.

As they all continue to grow in their lives (their parents aging, kids, wives desires, etc) it becomes harder to etch out as much time as they have in the past and now they are going to enjoy what they have. I think Cooley wanted to try the solo thing for a few shows for charity, and I think he became much more comfortable after the first night and wouldnt be surprised if these pop up every now and then. As someone else said, they still gots bills to pay.

Keep in mind that WSP is taking this year off after 25 years of touring. I think it is safe to say that WSP is in a better financial situation that DBT, but still playing on the road for 200 dates a year has to take a toll on anyone, and instead of letting the music and the performance suffer, maybe the time to recharge, reconnect with writing and playing, reconnect with their family, etc will create a better (not sure how) monster in years to come.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

one belt loop wrote:
bovine knievel wrote:

one belt loop does not understand what you mean.

Ohhh Penny's bad, Bovine. She is hyper sensitive when it comes to Yim's side projects/collaborations.

one belt loop is a hot piece of ass.
In my blood, there's gasoline..

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

I'm not worried at all... BUT

The guys are getting older, and whenever they decide to walk away and do something else, I'd be fine with it - I don't see them "quitting" music, whether they do it collectively or individually, I'm cool with it - the gift that the Drive By Truckers have given us cannot be taken away, and while I have no doubts that they still have a lot to give, however they go about it is fine with me.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Steve French

Post by Steve French »

bovine knievel wrote:
Penny Lane wrote:

Steve does that all the time. Its Steve's thing.
I've never taken a pissbreak during a DBT show but if I had it would have been during Dancing Ricky.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

Maluca3 wrote:I'm with CooleyGirl. I also find the worry a little funny because I can recall multiple discussions around these parts (or 9B) where people indicated they'd offer eyeteeth, firstborn children and favorite dogs for Cooley shows.

I think my exact quote was that I would give my left testicle.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

Cubfan06 wrote:

I think my exact quote was that I would give my left testicle.

Ever notice that no one ever offers up the right one? It's always the left one to be sacrificed. Just saying.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved