DBT dream ticket..

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

oxfordcrowe

Re: DBT dream ticket..

Post by oxfordcrowe »

Hmmmm, this one still burns ... Showed up late to DBT opening for The Black Crowes in Memphis in 2005. That was/is my dream ticket with either band being the opener.

The douche that was driving "can't figure out where to go (that was said in an 8th grade cheerleader tone BTW" and I was so fucking pissed. We drove by Mud Island five times before he turned in to where we told him to turn in the first four times after circling around I-40. We show up four songs into the Crowes' set. Yeah, still pretty angry and want to punch him in his face every time I see him. Because of that I never ride with anyone else to a concert. I'm driving or we're walking from our hotel. Period.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

one belt loop wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Realistic:

Lucero
Dexateens

You could stop right there. I'd be fine.

But it's MY dream.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Maluca3 wrote:Also slightly off thread, but Chris Knight is quite good live. I was fairly reluctantly dragged by a bandmate to see him, and most definitely enjoyed the live experience much more than what my friend had played for me beforehand.

I enjoyed Chris Knight live the two times I've seen him. What I didn't enjoy were his fans who insisted upon chit chatting and cellphoning throughout the course of his entire set. When he played a new song you'd think that would quiet them down a bit but no, since they didn't know the words that gave them all the more reason to chit-chat and cellphone as though there was no one on stage. I'm not sure how he puts up with it or if he just gave up on telling them to shut the fuck up (as he did at the first show). I'm not expecting everyone to act like they're at church but at least show some respect to the fellow you just paid $15 to see.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Saw Dexateens/DBT
Saw DBT/Hold Steady
Missed DBT/Petty

All would be worthy candidates.

Ruuner ups-
Bottle Rockets/DBT
Fred Eaglesmith/DBT
DBT acoustic/Neko Case
Los Lobos/DBT

Dream ticket+ pants pooped= DBT/Steve Earle OR DBT/Neil Young and CrazyHorse co headline like R&R Means Well Tour
Last edited by Lefty on Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

rlipps wrote:As far as them opening for a legendary band, I got to see that with them & Petty. Missed the DBT/Slobberbone tour, but did get to see The Drams open for DBT, which was amazing. Have always wanted to see Glossary open for them, but never have made it to one of those shows.

Something that hasn't happened and I'd love to see would be a Mike Cooley/Chris Knight solo show with both playing acoustic sets. Two of my favorite songwriters ever, that would be something I'd travel a long way to witness.

Good Lord yes!! I don't know if I could handle it but I would sure love to get to try.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

beantownbubba wrote:
one belt loop wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Realistic:

Lucero
Dexateens

You could stop right there. I'd be fine.

But it's MY dream.

I was cribbing off your paper.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Living Bubba

Post by Living Bubba »

oxfordcrowe wrote:Hmmmm, this one still burns ... Showed up late to DBT opening for The Black Crowes in Memphis in 2005. That was/is my dream ticket with either band being the opener.

The douche that was driving "can't figure out where to go (that was said in an 8th grade cheerleader tone BTW" and I was so fucking pissed. We drove by Mud Island five times before he turned in to where we told him to turn in the first four times after circling around I-40. We show up four songs into the Crowes' set. Yeah, still pretty angry and want to punch him in his face every time I see him. Because of that I never ride with anyone else to a concert. I'm driving or we're walking from our hotel. Period.

seeing DBT open for the Black Crowes cemented the Crowes as a must-see live act for me.
I'm drunk and stubborn as they come

jarofdirt

Post by jarofdirt »

I did see DBT open for Guided By Voices in Raleigh at the Hopscotch Festival....that was strange to say the least. The Flaming Lips played that festival too, but can't remember if it was the same night or not.

I hate that I missed The Hold Steady and DBT and Lucero/DBT those would both be my dream bills.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Maluca3 wrote:Also slightly off thread, but Chris Knight is quite good live. I was fairly reluctantly dragged by a bandmate to see him, and most definitely enjoyed the live experience much more than what my friend had played for me beforehand.

I enjoyed Chris Knight live the two times I've seen him. What I didn't enjoy were his fans who insisted upon chit chatting and cellphoning throughout the course of his entire set. When he played a new song you'd think that would quiet them down a bit but no, since they didn't know the words that gave them all the more reason to chit-chat and cellphone as though there was no one on stage. I'm not sure how he puts up with it or if he just gave up on telling them to shut the fuck up (as he did at the first show). I'm not expecting everyone to act like they're at church but at least show some respect to the fellow you just paid $15 to see.

Aw man are you serious? That sucks. I love me some Chris Knight and that would really piss me off if I went to see him and people were just ignoring him.

As far as I know, he doesn't come to GA much and I can't just pick up and haul ass across the country to go see a concert as much as I might like to do it. But I would love to see him and the Truckers together.

Lucero would be great too. I've seen references to people talking about their fans in a not so flattering way. Never seen them so I'm not sure what they mean. I would love to see that show though.

This is stretching it pretty far but I would like to see them with the Randy Rodgers band too. That would be a dream show because my wife loves RRB as much as I love DBT.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Sub

Post by Sub »

I caught the R&R Means Well tour DBT was great but unfortunatley The Hold Steady headlined and meh.

Slobberbone/DBT would be my dream line up.

Maybe American Aquarium/DBT would be cool. (hopefully they'll tour with Isbell after the albums done)

The bottle rockets and DBT would be awesome.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Sub wrote:The bottle rockets and DBT would be awesome.
YES
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Kudzu Guillotine

jarofdirt wrote:I did see DBT open for Guided By Voices in Raleigh at the Hopscotch Festival....that was strange to say the least. The Flaming Lips played that festival too, but can't remember if it was the same night or not.

The Truckers and Guided By Voices were Friday night, the Flaming Lips were Saturday.

jarofdirt wrote:I hate that I missed The Hold Steady and DBT and Lucero/DBT those would both be my dream bills.

I went to the Hold Steady/Drive-By Truckers show at the Lincoln Theatre in Raleigh back in 2008 but I had class that night so I missed The Hold Steady. I'm not a big fan of theirs anyway but I wanted to see what all of the fuss was about. During the first Hopscotch, I have a feeling the organizers had hoped to have the Truckers headline the alt.country friendly night at the Lincoln (which included John Howie, Jr. and the Rosewood Bluff, Max Indian and American Aquarium) which was headlined by Lucero but they were already booked to play the following weekend outside of the Lincoln with American Aquarium as the opener.

Cole Younger wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

Aw man are you serious? That sucks. I love me some Chris Knight and that would really piss me off if I went to see him and people were just ignoring him.

As far as I know, he doesn't come to GA much and I can't just pick up and haul ass across the country to go see a concert as much as I might like to do it. But I would love to see him and the Truckers together.

I'm quite serious. I've mentioned it at least a couple of times before so I hate to keep harping on it but for the life of me I don't see why someone would fork over $15 to see Chris Knight (or anyone for that matter) and then talk (at the top of their lungs) and text throughout the entire show. I ran into a friend of mine prior to the show who said, "I hope it's not a singalong crowd tonight". Well, it turned out to be but everyone singing along wasn't nearly as distracting as the constant chitter chatter and texting. Even people in the front row were carrying on conversations as though Knight wasn't even on stage. I just don't get it. For a bit of contrast, when Mary Gauthier performed at the same venue (the Berkeley Cafe) a year or so ago, the audience was very polite and quiet. She commented that folks didn't have to wait until between songs to get up to go to the restroom or to grab a beer. Knight obviously attracted a very different crowd, one that had zero respect for the man onstage.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

DBT being the backing band for Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Tom T. Hall, Tony Joe White or George Jones... light a fire of creativity under their ass
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

Kudzu Guillotine

Smitty wrote:DBT being the backing band for Merle Haggard, Kris Kristofferson, Tom T. Hall, Tony Joe White or George Jones... light a fire of creativity under their ass

Just read an old interview with Cooley today where he was talking about their desire to work with Tom T. Hall. I hope that actually happens.

Ty Webb

Post by Ty Webb »

Cole Younger wrote:
Kudzu Guillotine wrote:

As far as I know, he doesn't come to GA much.

Keep an eye on Smiths Olde Bar for Chris Knight.
I'm sleeping under strange, strange skies.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Perhaps not dream ticket, but certainly a match as openers would be the Deadstring Brothers, who evoke a very Stonsey feel.

A pairing with Lucinda would be sweet.

And I would have loved to see DBT at the Ramble with Levon. Seems that would be a nice collage as well to see the Truckers mixing it up with Levon and company at some festival when Levon takes the Ramble on the Road. I like to call The Band my Kevin Bacon of music. Six degrees of separation between the Band and just about any music I love.

TDB

Post by TDB »

I've been saying for YEARS, that a DBT/Clutch tour would be amazing!
Now, if you are unfamiliar with Clutch, they are definitely harder than DBT.

HOWEVER.......If they BOTH did accoutic sets, I think it would be amazing!
I know Big Tom would probably agree with me on this one.

TDB

Post by TDB »

Now, if I won the lottery.......I would pay DBT a million dollars to do a summer tour with WATERSHED as the opener :D

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

A DBT/Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds joint headliner tour would be pretty cool.
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

Clams

Post by Clams »

Of all the opening bands I've seen from 2008-present, the Dexateens opening set in Harrisburg, PA in May of '08 was the best. Another band that I think would fit well with DBT is Blue Mountain.
If you don't run you rust

dogstar

Post by dogstar »

Clams wrote:Of all the opening bands I've seen from 2008-present, the Dexateens opening set in Harrisburg, PA in May of '08 was the best. Another band that I think would fit well with DBT is Blue Mountain.

Are you sure you don't mean FREE Mountain?
"Guitars talk. If you really want to write a song, ask a guitar." Neil Young

bhogan73

Post by bhogan73 »

DBT and SLOBBERBONE...No doubt
fingers are still crossed as I believe this SHOULD happen

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

one belt loop wrote:
Iowan wrote:The Rock and Roll Means Well tour was probably my DBT dream ticket, and I missed it.

I wish I had a time machine for you.

That was also one of the last tours where anyone in their right mind would've wanted to see the Hold Steady. They suck now, imo.

I've seen DBT with a lot of kickass openers including the Drams, Dexateens, Felice Bros, etc. Can't say I've ever fantasized about DBT as an opener for someone else I like. DBT playing for an hour in front of a crowd that isn't theirs does not do it for me at all.

DBT as opener= handjob

DBT doin' the full-on Rock Show= fucking

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

dogstar wrote:A DBT/Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds joint headliner tour would be pretty cool.

LOVE Nick Cave. Could definitely see that. However, it will never happen. Even when Cave tours, it's usually short runs with lots of days off in between. I'll bet he also demands a much, much larger guarantee than DBT.

drtpants

Post by drtpants »

DBT w/ American Minor :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Roy

Post by Roy »

gerg wrote:Just saw it, though both sets were too short.

GBV/DBT

Didn't see it, but this would be my dream ticket.

PeterG

Post by PeterG »

DBT w/ anybody as long as it was in my county somewhere...
doubt we'll ever see them come this far up the 101.

So i guess it would be DBT w/ the Dexateens...
take a deep breath and throw yourself into it with everything you got...it's great to be alive!

TDB

Post by TDB »

Clams wrote:Of all the opening bands I've seen from 2008-present, the Dexateens opening set in Harrisburg, PA in May of '08 was the best. Another band that I think would fit well with DBT is Blue Mountain.

I believe that Harrisburg show was the first time I met Clams, and it was a smoker!
Of all the opening acts I've seen with DBT(Slobberbone, Centro-Matic, Drams, Whigs, Glossary, and even Booker T)
I gotta say the Dexateens were my favorite.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

:(
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

I saw them with The Hold Steady. That was pretty much my dream ticket right there. I guess my top choice now would be Two Cow, J Roddy, or Lucero.
Keep calm and have a cigar