What ticked Cooley off?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Lefty

Re: What ticked Cooley off?

Post by Lefty »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:Some of the most blatant racism I've ever witnessed was during a visit I made to Ohio in 1994. One of their roadside shops had all manner of racist t-shirts in stock, like a KKK version of Stuckey's. There was also a screening of Forrest Gump I attended in Wilmington, Ohio that summer where a good portion of the audience cheered during the Ku Klux Klan scene early in the movie.

Make no mistake, racism is everywhere. As long as there is a weak person looking for a reason to blame or belong...

One of the most brilliant sentiments I have read, is that we will never deal with the issue of race until we deal with the issue of class. Divide and conquer.

In this town, we are ALL down. But still, get a roomful of folks of the same color of skin, and you're bound to see the weak and the ugly just trying to fit in.
Last edited by Lefty on Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tequila Cowboy
Site Admin

Post by Tequila Cowboy »

I don't know why after all these years anything drtpants writes, says or does should surprise me but by god he's done it again. Most well thought out, reasoned and rational post of the whole thread. I think this one is done folks. Nothing more to see here.

Oh and drt? I'll drink with ya. Patron. Neat. See you on the rail.
We call him Scooby Do, but Scooby doesn’t do. Scooby, is not involved

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Lefty wrote:Wish I was there too-believe it !

We kinda do have a time fitting stereotypes(go figure that this thread addresses the same!) here in Ytown. We certainly identify in the urban centers more with the working class factorial heritage of the Atlantic Northeast. But get ten minutes out of town and there's no doubt that we are Midwesterners. I guess that's why I personally identify more with the 'rustbelt' sub category, especially being located about halfway between Pissburgh and Cleveland. Love our football and our drinking and probably have worked harder for less than many other regions. We were/are the white and black slaves of industry.

Growing up, in the shadow of the collapse of the mills, we were accustomed to the idea that we were from a butthole of a place that time forgot. However, as I have grown and watched the suburban sprawl suck the soul out of our culture, it is easy for me to believe that we actually had a leg up on what was to come. Nobody was gonna listen to you whine as suffering was all around. You learned at an early age to get your hustle on, always have a couple of irons in the fire, and be ever vigilant. We have been known as the murder capital of the country as our murder rate, per capita, has been something like five years at number one(not consecutively, thank dog, even we need a break sometimes). We have been accredited as being the birthplace of carjacking. We are a hub of organized crime(look up Youngstown Tune-up) or so they tell me ;) . Our Congressman, until his indictment, was none other than the illustrious Jim Trafficant(another one worth reading about if you are unfamiliar). And we are currently known for being the poorest area in the nation, with more than 49% of our declining population living at or below the poverty line. Without coincidence, the fracking industry has made us their lovechild, as no self respecting farmer has the option of turning down a gas lease(especially under eminent domain). Nor can any factory worker say no out of principle, to a decent paying job forging drilling components. Consequently, we have endured 11 earthquakes in the last year, with the most recent being a 4.3 on New Year's Eve. We don't need no safe drinking water here in Buttholeville !

All that being said, we are full of character and heart, know how to party, and the scourge of entitlement has been driven far from our city limits.

OBL, I bet I know a thousand ladies like your grandmother, and each of them is a gem in her own way. Truly the old school. Some of these survivors were the original "Rosie the Riveters. So to make a long story even longer(or writing a "book" on the "blabbernet" as my buddy Cole has suggested), we don't need to wave a flag to demonstrate our regional pride. And we would never ever try to make a rock show about ourselves by doing so.

Sorry for the longevity folks. I'll put it back in my pants... .... ...for now. :lol: From carjacking to threadjacking, we've got the bases covered !

I'm almost feel that the Rustbelt should be considered its own region (Indiana, Michigan, Ohio) as some kind of transition from the Mid-Atlantic to the Midwest.

Wish I was in Athens. A night of good old fashioned Midwestern Power Drinking at the Red Man Inn (some Midwestern unitentional racism) in lovely McIntire, Iowa (population 122) will have to do.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:I don't know why after all these years anything drtpants writes, says or does should surprise me but by god he's done it again. Most well thought out, reasoned and rational post of the whole thread. I think this one is done folks. Nothing more to see here.

Oh and drt? I'll drink with ya. Patron. Neat. See you on the rail.

It's always good to remember that drtpants is more than just a loud mouth. There's a brain attached.
Matt playing like an evil motherfucker w/ rhythm with a capital MPLAEMWR.

- bubba

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Mr. Britches is a lot more than just a pretty face; but for the record, this Southern Maryland boy (who ain't exactly a spring chicken) put the Wiscy bunch to bed last night. We have a little drinkin' heritage,too,
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Living_Badly

Post by Living_Badly »

First, Damn I hate I missed Athens this year. I don't know why my school had to do 2 days of class before a 3 day weekend

Now... As for the Civil war being about slavery argument- "We didn't go into this war to put down slavery . . . and to act differently at this moment would, I have no doubt, not only weaken our cause, but smack of bad faith.'" - Abraham Lincoln

As for the rebel flag (I refer to it as that since it is not really the Confederate flag). I used to wear and fly the "stars and bars" proudly. It was never a symbol of racism to me. Hell, there were black guys on the football team with me who wore it. I had enough dixie outfitters shirts to wear a couple a day and not run out before laundry day. That being said, I sat down several years ago and thought about not only my reasons for wearing it but also how it is perceived. I found in my interactions with others while I wore it that there were those who saw it the same way I did- a symbol of pride and of the right to rebel against an oppressive government. But there were also those who still saw it as a symbol of racism and hate and those who even glorified in its associations with the oppression of black people. I realized that I could show my Southern pride by abiding by those best principles of Southern culture- manners, courtesy, deferral to elders, etc. I don't let my southern accent get in the way of my interactions with others. In short- I would rather people judge the South by my actions than to judge me by what a few dumbasses from the south have done. I still own some of those t-shirts (I have outgrown them both mentally and physically), but there is no mistaking my roots- from my accent to my manners, and I think those speak more to the true South than any racist hick ever could.

Now... I need a beer or 30.

TheGhostToMost

Post by TheGhostToMost »

Well, I got to chime in one this one. First of all, as for Cooley and the guy at the 40 Watt last year... I was standing right in front of the guy and I laughed my ass off. I am a musician and I play every weekend. If I'm at a DBT show it's because I asked for a weekend off. When your trying to tell a story and someone continues to butt in it can be super annoying. It ain't easy to stand up there in front of everyone. The slightest distraction can make you totally forget what you were trying to say.

I have been a DBT fan for years now and I've seen close to 20 shows. When I first started coming to shows I heard so many people accuse Cooley of being a prick. Here's my thoughts on that. First of all the guy is my hero. I think he is the most underrated songwriter of all time. He's a Goddamn genius. Honestly, I don't give a shit if he is an asshole. DBT's music has pulled me through some of the hardest times in my life. I listen to them daily, I come to the shows, I buy the records, shirts, etc.. because I love them not because I want Cooley to come out into the crowd and hold my hand. My hero can be a prick all he wants. If I want a hero that smiles and kisses babies then I will look up to the guys on the Wheaties box. Maybe it's because I spent most of my youth on a stage having drunks yell shit at me but it doesn't bother me that he may go off from time to time. I understand why and I would never be the one to yell at him. Hell, I walked out of Nuci's Space yesterday right behind him and I didn't yell "COOLEY !!!" because he was with his wife and kids and I have too much respect for him to intrude.

Now as for the rebel flag... I think there may be one point that has been missed here. I recently went to get some shirts made for my band and the guy at the T shirt shop said to me "What about using a rebel flag ?" Racism didn't come to my mind at first. The first thought that went through my head was as a band I don't want to be compared to Lynyrd Skynyrd and the minute you fly that flag as a band your gonna be pigeon holed as a "Southern" rock band or a Skynyrd clone. Now you take DBT who has three guitars and they are already up for comparison. Add a flag to the mix and you might as well go home.
I love Lynryd Skynyrd era Ronnie Van Zant. I hate the fact that the new band carries on writing shit like "God and Guns" and appearing on Fox News.

I'm not gonna get into the racism. The fact is a lot of folks have acted badly and therefore it has put a stain on the flag as well as our name. It's a shame because I truly believe that most people are good at heart. I feel they go along with shit just to fit in and be cool or because they watch TV and think that is how they are suppose to act down here. I think Southerners have been uneducated to their history and have been brought up to act a certain way. Thank God I have the Truckers to speak for my kind of people instead of Hank Jr.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

From what I know of him, I identify far too closely with Cooley to ever view him critically or sit in judgement on him. He's certainly not a saint, but I don't think any of us are, either. He stands alone as both a musician and a songwriter in my regard, and always has been/will be my favorite Drive-By Trucker. I have nothing but the highest respect and admiration for him - but I don't think I ever want to meet him, because I'll probably faint right at his feet.

Living_Badly wrote:Damn I hate I missed Athens this year. I don't know why my school had to do 2 days of class before a 3 day weekend

X2. These 3 days of class before MLK weekend were utterly POINTLESS.
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

note to Iowan: I did your drinking for you this weekend. You're welcome.

- bubba

GW in IA

Post by GW in IA »

one belt loop wrote:note to Iowan: I did your drinking for you this weekend. You're welcome.

Wait. What? I thought I was drinking for Iowan this weekend..! You mean to tell me I didn't need to collide with that Fireplug Thurday night? We gots to get this shit straight. Next time.
Reluctantly, our hero rises to the day, with a moan and a curse to an absent God.

one belt loop

Post by one belt loop »

That Iowan is one sneaky bastard.

- bubba

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

So sneaky that I got ripped up to the point Friday night that I possibly shit in a bath tub. All that Grain Belt and tequila.

Much thanks to OBL and GW who apparently carried the Midwestern Power Drinking torch in my absence. Let there be rock.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

I can attest that obl & GW more than did their fair share. Much alcohol was consumed by all & no one managed to piss Cooley off from what I saw (and I was pretty close). A couple of people did get pissed on, though (and that wasn't cool).
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Slipkid42 wrote:A couple of people did get pissed on, though (and that wasn't cool).

Wow, I thought the veterinarian pissing in the sink was bad.

Or the dude that puked on the ATM.

:lol:

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Slipkid42 wrote:I can attest that obl & GW more than did their fair share. Much alcohol was consumed by all & no one managed to piss Cooley off from what I saw (and I was pretty close). A couple of people did get pissed on, though (and that wasn't cool).

This sounds like a pretty regular Friday night in my circle of friends. :lol:

RolanK
Location: drivin' home early Sunday morning through Bakersfield

Post by RolanK »

WoodDuck wrote:
Slipkid42 wrote:A couple of people did get pissed on, though (and that wasn't cool).

Wow, I thought the veterinarian pissing in the sink was bad.

Or the dude that puked on the ATM.

:lol:

That explains why the money coming out of that machine was sort of sticky and hard to get out of my pocket after a while. :lol:
Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa-Fa

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

You can blame the south all you want but we would not be having this discussion if our forefathers hadn't had been fuck ups.

"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness."

How can you write this shit while owning slaves?? OUR fore fathers started a country based on slavery.
All the big money made east of the Mississippi prior to the war was made either directly or indirectly through slaves.
(one of the reasons I believe in reparations)
Our fore fathers set us up for that war but if we hadn't had had it, how long would our legislators :roll: allowed slavery to
continue? Lincoln only wanted to stop the spread, not ban it.
If anything that flag should be a reminder of how fucked up our government can be.
As for what flag is what, do your research drtpants, Lee's flag of Virginia, the stars and bars, Confederate National flag and
the Georgia state flag are all basically the same flag. The flag the secessionist raised is something completely different from
the battle flag or the Confederate National flag. There were so many different flags it can be confusing.

Lefty wrote: Hang it in your garage or fly it from your own flagpole and I will avoid your home regardless of what your beliefs are

As long as books have pictures on the covers, I don't have to read em :roll:

I showed my Southern Pride saturday night and nobody even noticed, but we did get the Southern Thing!
(of course I wasn't shoving it down anybodies throat either ;) )

"Ain't about no foolish pride, Ain't about no flag
Hate's the only thing that my truck would want to drag"

People aren't born with hate, they are learned it.
Hate is hate whether you hate a person or just a piece of cloth that doesn't have the red, white & blue arranged the way
you like it. Also it's much easier to hate than to understand.
All my love yall, Swamp
Last edited by Swamp on Fri Jan 20, 2012 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Yep-put it on the cover of your book, and I won't read it either. Doesn't mean I judge books by their cover on all counts. But if that's your benchmark, there are plenty of other books to read was all I was saying.

Doesn't matter if it's a black power fist, a swastika, "Don't Tread on ME", or what have you. All I was saying was that symbol flying first and foremost, says "look what I'm about". And I have a right to go next door if my car is broken down, or what have you. If I know the backstory(perhaps your daddy's daddy's daddy designed it), then I might cut you slack and "read your book". But if I am a complete stranger, there is no opportunity to realize why you are flying it, and there are enough books in the world, that I may choose to read one about unity instead.

Really, it's almost like presenting the cover of the book to be perceived as what the book is all about. Plenty of other things to be presented as a hallmark if you want to welcome everybody.

I think you took my quote out of context, and it certainly didn't deserve the dismissive rolling eyes for the point I was making.

But if you want to consider that quote as my flag, then I think you are as guilty as you are saying I am of being judgmental.

If we want to be understood, then I think we need to be sensitive to perception to some degree. If we don't care if anyone misunderstands our statement, then we ought to fly whatever flag we like and not get our panties in a bunch over someone being judgmental. Just not at a rock show... :)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

I just have a problem with hate no matter who it's directed at.
Like I said before, people learn to hate. :(
There was a time when my brother was in Iraq when I couldn't even look at the
stars and stripes without becoming infuriated.

Our local democrat house representative, Corrine Brown, stumping for the redneck vote.
The duelality of the south?
this came from our local liberal paper
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Well-if you find it to be hateful for me to pass by a random house with a Confederate flag of all the millions of places I could simply stop by randomly-which is what I was getting at...and you find my decision to do so "judging a book by it's cover" and therefore wanna label me judgmental rather than practical -so be it. Your right. I'm not here to convince anyone. I just think you are jumping to conclusions about me.

Given all the words I often use, you picked out a single sentence, isolated it, and then judged me based on it. And I don't find that very accepting either.

Don't know what I did to have you think of me as so hateful. Maybe you ought take a minute, take your own medicine, and read my book, so to speak.

And though you may be right about your summation of the sweatshirted politician,you are wrong about me. I wouldn't give her the time of day either.

My trouble with the symbol is not that it is not the flag of our nation, it is that it brings hurt to so many whether they understand it or not.

"The throne, the pulpit, and the politician...create a thirst for power in the common man. A taste for blood passed off as bravery. Or just patriotism hiding bigotry." Todd Rundgren from 'Johnny Jingo"

Enough words.

Peace to you brother. :)

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Lefty wrote:Well-if you find it to be hateful for me to pass by a random house with a Confederate flag of all the millions of places I could simply stop by randomly-which is what I was getting at...and you find my decision to do so "judging a book by it's cover" and therefore wanna label me judgmental rather than practical -so be it. Your right. I'm not here to convince anyone. Given all thI just think you are jumping to conclusions about me. e words I often use, you picked out a single sentence, isolated it, and then judged me based on it. And I don't find that very accepting either.

Don't know what I did to have you think of me as so hateful. Maybe you ought take a minute, take your own medicine, and read my book, so to speak.

And though you may be right about your summation of the sweatshirted politician,you are wrong about me. I wouldn't give her the time of day either.

My trouble with the symbol is not that it is not the flag of our nation, it is that it brings hurt to so many whether they understand it or not.

"The throne, the pulpit, and the politician...create a thirst for power in the common man. A taste for blood passed off as bravery. Or just patriotism hiding bigotry." Todd Rundgren from 'Johnny Jingo"

Enough words.

Peace to you brother. :)

You did the exact same thing to me and I am quite sure that I didn't ask for it.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I thought I made myself clear in my post quoting wiki on the swastika and it's multitude of meanings.

I am quite sorry that it devolved from there. I DID escalate, in what I thought to be a mostly playful manner by making a further example of the Dukes of Hazard.

I also should not have referred to you as needing a stronger soul, but I was referring to your insinuation on page one that you would be "excommunicated from the club" for simply disagreeing and claiming that you had been "lectured" to and told what "a racist part of the country" you reside in on page three, neither of which were the case.

I responded in simple disbelief by asking "really ???" since you had disregarded my entire explanation of the multitude of meanings the symbol carries, except to refer to it as a book, and call this the blabbernet, which I felt was a convenient angle to blame, especially given that you brought this whole issue up for consideration using the "blabbernet" as your vehicle when it suited you.

Bottom line-I am sorry for my part in where this went and don't wish to be thought of as "hateful" and still don't think my remarks warrant it.

I still assert that NOBODY "freaked out" as you claimed. NOBODY suggested that you be excommunicated. And that you chose to be offended rather than engaged from the getgo.

Most of what I said was in order to clarify the points that you took offense to. Perhaps I should have realized your defensiveness at the word BTB used-disingenuous. You certainly believe in which you wrote. You just dismissed the counterpoint. You called my attempts to clarify a "lecture" and a "book" rather than looking for the merits.

You squared off and readied for a fight and I didn't back down, knowing that my intent was pure rather than "hateful".

And I did spar, AT THAT POINT, with comments about the history of your namesake and the parallels which it holds to the way you chose to proceed.

Again, I am sorry for any escalation. Certainly no harm intended. And again, I wish you peace. I don't apologize for my words, just the personal manner in which they were taken. It was not my intent to persecute. Similarly it was most likely not the intent of the flag waiver to be seen as a racist. But sometimes our take can be skewed by the eyes of the beholder. And I'd bet that was Cooley's angle in giving that guy the business.

Sheesh ! Good thing the "bob" threads never got so heavy :lol:

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Lefty wrote:I thought I made myself clear in my post quoting wiki on the swastika and it's multitude of meanings.

I am quite sorry that it devolved from there. I DID escalate, in what I thought to be a mostly playful manner by making a further example of the Dukes of Hazard.

I also should not have referred to you as needing a stronger soul, but I was referring to your insinuation on page one that you would be "excommunicated from the club" for simply disagreeing and claiming that you had been "lectured" to and told what "a racist part of the country" you reside in on page three, neither of which were the case.

I responded in simple disbelief by asking "really ???" since you had disregarded my entire explanation of the multitude of meanings the symbol carries, except to refer to it as a book, and call this the blabbernet, which I felt was a convenient angle to blame, especially given that you brought this whole issue up for consideration using the "blabbernet" as your vehicle when it suited you.

Bottom line-I am sorry for my part in where this went and don't wish to be thought of as "hateful" and still don't think my remarks warrant it.

I still assert that NOBODY "freaked out" as you claimed. NOBODY suggested that you be excommunicated. And that you chose to be offended rather than engaged from the getgo.

Most of what I said was in order to clarify the points that you took offense to. Perhaps I should have realized your defensiveness at the word BTB used-disingenuous. You certainly believe in which you wrote. You just dismissed the counterpoint. You called my attempts to clarify a "lecture" and a "book" rather than looking for the merits.

You squared off and readied for a fight and I didn't back down, knowing that my intent was pure rather than "hateful".

And I did spar, AT THAT POINT, with comments about the history of your namesake and the parallels which it holds to the way you chose to proceed.

Again, I am sorry for any escalation. Certainly no harm intended. And again, I wish you peace. I don't apologize for my words, just the personal manner in which they were taken. It was not my intent to persecute. Similarly it was most likely not the intent of the flag waiver to be seen as a racist. But sometimes our take can be skewed by the eyes of the beholder. And I'd bet that was Cooley's angle in giving that guy the business.

Sheesh ! Good thing the "bob" threads never got so heavy :lol:

It's cool man. My blabbernet comment was very tongue in cheek and I am amazed at how angry it seems to have made you. It was a very throw away remark and meant as a joke more than anything.

As for calling what you were doing a lecture, come on man, you don't think you lectured me just a little bit? I did not square off for a fight. Not at all. You may not believe this, but I had no idea my flag comment was going to turn into all that it did. I was frankly stunned that it generated what it did. That's how radically different we see this issue.

As far as what I said about being excommunicated, I DID NOT THINK I WAS GOING TO BE BANNED. Do I need to say that again? I was referring to basically getting black balled or shunned here for having what is clearly a very unpopular point of view. I probably should not have said it because it seems to have raised the ire of a few. But after a few people got much more...emapssioned? than I ever expected by the flag remark, it seemed like I pretty well crapped in my mess kit here and I'm not sure that's not still true. I got some funny looks at the show when peopel found out who I was. I don't want that to be the case, but I'm not going to lose any sleep over not being one of the gang just because of one comment that I made with no malice intended.

I have no problem with you. And would rather get along than have an internet pissing match with you or have this define me on the board. But I just didn't think your attitude was necessary. As for my screen name, seriously, who cares? I don't even know what you're talking about so I must have missed those comments somehow.

I think a lot of what we are dealing with here boils down to A) My comment was taken as something much worse than was actually meant and B) When you are talking to someone you don't know over the internet, can't see their face, and can not hear their tone of voice, it can go wrong quick, fast, and in a hurry.

No hard feelings from my end. I personally think two grown people who have the love of a band in common ought to be able to put this to bed and possibly even be friends. That's just me.
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

The secret to a happy ending is knowing when to roll the credits.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

mwh

Post by mwh »

So Bob is gay, right?

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

mwh wrote:So Bob is gay, right?

Is this one of those outtakes after the credits?
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

mwh

Post by mwh »

beantownbubba wrote:
mwh wrote:So Bob is gay, right?

Is this one of those outtakes after the credits?

Yeah, something like that.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Way to work it out, Lefty and Cole.
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Cole Younger wrote:
I was referring to basically getting black balled or shunned here for having what is clearly a very unpopular point of view.

I would use "most" but since it's a lie I'll just say a lot of people feel like you do but know better than to talk about it here. I'm not
included :lol: (as far as talking about it goes but then again I'm not always successful in making myself clear)

Cole Younger wrote: I got some funny looks at the show when peopel found out who I was.

You must not have seen us cause we love everybody on here regardless of their political or religious beliefs :D
I will say this though. The swastika and the battle flag are 2 different things and should never be compared.
And this is all I got but if you want to compare flags, ask the Native Americans ;)
as long as Andrew Jackson is on the $20 bill I will feel this way :(