What ticked Cooley off?

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Cole Younger

What ticked Cooley off?

Post by Cole Younger »

Hey yall. I was wondering for those of you who were at night two of the 40 Watt Homecoming last year, could you help me with something?

If you were there, you know the show was an absolute scorcher. But something happened that night and until I joined this board yesterday, I had no way of finding out what it was.

Somewhere toward the end of the show, it might have been during the encore but I'm not positive, they were playing Road Cases. During the song, Patterson was doing that singing/talking/story telling thing that he does sometimes. Anyhow, he was telling the story of part of his inspiration for the song saying, "When I moved to Athens 17 years ago there wasn't a music store worth a shit in this town." He was trying to explain that most of the p.a. equipent for sale in the pawn shops in Atlanta was still stenciled with A.R.S. for Atlanta Rhythm Section, but he was interrupted. We were down near the front right in front of Patterson and some guy to the right started saying something to him. It was enough of a distraction that he stopped mid story and said, "Well what store are you referring to sir?" and then "That's true. Wuxtry Records was here. Danger Mouse worked there." The guy said something else and Cooley got on the mic and said, "He's talking about a place where you go to buy something to play something on. Not a place where you go buy something to listen to. Dumb ass! Shut the _______ up!"

The entire audience laughed. I couldn't help but feel bad for the guy. You go see a band that you love and one of them calls you a dumbass in front of the entire place. It pretty much ruined Cooley for my wife. She still thinks he's a jerk. LOL.

Long set up for my question. Were any of yall there? What did the guy say to get Cooley so mad? I thought Patterson was handling it well but something that was said ticked Cooley off. If anybody was closer to the guy and heard it, what did he say?
A single shot rifle and a one eyed dog.

beantownbubba

Re: What ticked Cooley off?

Post by beantownbubba »

I was there and remember the incident but not the details. I'm pretty sure it was discussed in some depth in the Athens thread from last year so you might want to search for that. As I remember it, what got cooley going was that the guy in the audience didn't stop. He shouted something about disagreeing w/ what Patterson was saying like he knew better, Patterson responded, but the audience member didn't let go of it. Cooley was reacting partly to his misunderstanding but mostly to the guy not letting it go in the middle of a rock show.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Thanks man. I figured it was probably something like that. Just thought I would ask. This forum is so...vast, that I almost don't know where to start. I've read so many cool stories already. I was reading a thread earlier about a comparison between the band when Jason was a member and now. It was great but now I can't remember where it was. LOL. Oh well. Plenty of time to hunt.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

Patterson was tryin' to describe the lack of music stores to buy or repair instruments & the guy tried to correct him & shouted out some record store. Patterson mentioned some guy who worked @ that store (to show the guy he knew about that place). The guy shouted out something else (maybe just acknowledging the name of the guy who Patterson mentioned) & Cooley gave him his comeuppance. He deserved it for interrupting Patterson's story & killing the flow of the show.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

ajolie101

Post by ajolie101 »

I'm on my phone now or I would post it for you but I was on the rail that night and recorded that whole conversation and it's up on YouTube. Search user Ajolie101 and scroll thru my videos and you can hear it all. I even show they guy they are talking to bc he was right behind me lol.

WoodDuck

Post by WoodDuck »

Beebs

Post by Beebs »

Thanks Duck.

I wouldn't exactly say that the guy wouldn't let it go, but Cooley did have a smirk on his face. I look forward to someday being called a dumb ass by Cooley.
Beebs is not a ragey man

Jonicont
Site Admin

Post by Jonicont »

Seriously--that was just some playful Cooley banter. Now if he calls you a motherfucker or Patterson calls you a douchbag--Well then I'd be concerned
Always go to the show

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

LOL. Yeah that's it. I've looked for a clip of that before so I could try and see what that guy was saying but I had never been able to find it. Good times.

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

Mrs Swamp got a pretty good Cooley rant on video during the 07 dirt underneath tour in B-ham.
It's on her patchouliskye youtube page. Either at the beginning or the end of the song Birmingham.
Seems like Patterson's mike was shocking the shit outta him and Cooley came to his defense by
chewing someone a new one :lol:
There was also the San Fran Dirt shows where Cooley called all our computers "shit machines" and Patterson
threatened to come off the stage and kick a guys ass that hollerd "freebird". Patterson was more joking
than Cooley. :D
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

njMark

Post by njMark »

I'm still waiting for Patterson to finish his ghost story that he was telling at the starland that some asshat kept interrupting.

09Gamecock

Post by 09Gamecock »

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. Cooley was 100% pissed the fuck off. There was no "good natured" smirk or anything light hearted about it. He put that drunken idiot in his place. Cooley's usually good for getting significantly pissed off at something each show. It's the times he really vocalizes it that are memorable.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

09Gamecock wrote:I don't know what some of you guys are talking about. Cooley was 100% pissed the fuck off. There was no "good natured" smirk or anything light hearted about it. He put that drunken idiot in his place. Cooley's usually good for getting significantly pissed off at something each show. It's the times he really vocalizes it that are memorable.

Watching the video, Cooley's part of it doesn't seem as bad as I remember it. In person he sounded pretty pissed.

But at the time I couldn't hear what that guy was saying. He was acting like jack wad. I don't know why it was such a big deal to him that he felt the need to holler things at the band.

njMark

Post by njMark »

Over consumption of cheap beer, that's why he felt yelling crap at the band was a good idea, but that goes for most of the dumb shit that goes down at the homecoming.

dbhelm

Post by dbhelm »

I was diggin the ARS story on the vid when it ended (I was a fan back in the day, RIP Ronnie).... is there a continuation?

rlipps

Post by rlipps »

If you want to hear Cooley really pissed off, find a copy of the show from 2003 at Blue Cats in Knoxville. That one was a classic.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

rlipps wrote:If you want to hear Cooley really pissed off, find a copy of the show from 2003 at Blue Cats in Knoxville. That one was a classic.

He got pretty steamed in Oxford within the last year too. Some guy held up a Confederate flag and Cooley didn't like that at all.

I understand why some people are put off by it and what it symbolizes to them but not everybody means that with a Confederate flag. I was a little dissapointed that Cooley was so politically correct about it.

Kudzu Guillotine

Post by Kudzu Guillotine »

Cole Younger wrote:
rlipps wrote:If you want to hear Cooley really pissed off, find a copy of the show from 2003 at Blue Cats in Knoxville. That one was a classic.

He got pretty steamed in Oxford within the last year too. Some guy held up a Confederate flag and Cooley didn't like that at all.

I understand why some people are put off by it and what it symbolizes to them but not everybody means that with a Confederate flag. I was a little dissapointed that Cooley was so politically correct about it.

Not sure where I read it now but there was an interview several years ago (probably as far back as when Southern Rock Opera was new) about how Patterson and some of the other Truckers felt about the Confederate flag. I think it stemmed from a conversation about Dick Cooper (who worked with them pretty extensively on Southern Rock Opera) having one on display in either his home or office. I agree, one can own and display a Confederate flag and still not be a racist but in some of the conversations I've had with people about it there is very much a "our way or the highway" attitude about it with absolutely no middle ground.

Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Understanding that symbols may be taken in a number of different ways, I believe the hurt associated with such a symbol is worth avoiding. Otherwise, the pride of those who choose to display such a symbol is put in front of the conventional wisdom of what said symbol represents to the masses. Hang it in your garage or fly it from your own flagpole and I will avoid your home regardless of what your beliefs are(and you will enjoy the freedom to do so). Pull it out at a rock show, and those who put on said show have the right to be put off by your display and what it might mean to those en masse or those whose relatives were slaves or Union casualties, etc.

As a matter of freedom of expression, it could be argued that this symbol in a crowd could be likened to shouting "fire" in a crowded theater, which the supreme court has ruled is where your freedom to express yourself is curtailed in order to preserve the safety or well-being of those in the crowd. Or in this case, the general right of people in attendance not to have their spirits dampened by such a divisive symbol. Despite your best intentions, you cannot control the vibe it gives.

I used to ascribe, in a personal way, to the premise of the "Don't Tread on Me" flag, but have gladly given up my "right" to fly it rather than being associated with how some might choose to take it as an affiliation with the Tea Party or whatever else it might be otherwise associated with.

I stand in solidarity with Cooley on this one. :)

beantownbubba

Post by beantownbubba »

Saying that being offended by the confederate flag is "politically correct" is pretty damned offensive. What you're saying, mr. younger, is that (a) cooley can't make up his own mind about what he thinks, (b) that nobody could possibly think there's anything wrong w/ the Confederate flag unless they're mindless followers of political correctness and (c) calling those who are offended "politically correct" is something other than another version of political correctness. Wrong on all counts.

Those who think the confederate flag is an appropriate symbol of positive, non-offensive-to-the-average-person values are more than welcome to try to make their case. And maybe sometime in the future they'll succeed. But until then, pretending that the symbol is not offensive to many people, perhaps even a majority in this country, or insisting that it shouldn't be offensive merely because you say so and you're a good guy is disingenuous at best, contradicted by reality and experience, reverse political correctness and an insult to my (and a whole lot of other people's) intelligence.
What used to be is gone and what ought to be ought not to be so hard

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:

Really?

To a lot of people the Confederate flag stands for treason and racism, because no matter what anyone means by their display of it, those are two things the Confederacy stood for.

There has to be a better way of showing Southern pride. I'm German, and proud of my heritage, but I wouldn't be caught dead flying a Swastika (nor would I want to).

Clams

Post by Clams »

njMark wrote:I'm still waiting for Patterson to finish his ghost story that he was telling at the starland that some asshat kept interrupting.

right before Tales Facing Up, right?
If you don't run you rust

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Iowan wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Really?

To a lot of people the Confederate flag stands for treason and racism, because no matter what anyone means by their display of it, those are two things the Confederacy stood for.

There has to be a better way of showing Southern pride. I'm German, and proud of my heritage, but I wouldn't be caught dead flying a Swastika (nor would I want to).

“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

cortez the killer

Post by cortez the killer »

Wave that flag hoss, wave it high.
Do you know what it means?
Do you know why?
Maybe bein' a rebel ain't no big deal.
But if somebody owned your ass, how would you feel?
You are entitled to your opinion, but you are not entitled to your own facts.
- DPM

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

beantownbubba wrote:Saying that being offended by the confederate flag is "politically correct" is pretty damned offensive. What you're saying, mr. younger, is that (a) cooley can't make up his own mind about what he thinks, (b) that nobody could possibly think there's anything wrong w/ the Confederate flag unless they're mindless followers of political correctness and (c) calling those who are offended "politically correct" is something other than another version of political correctness. Wrong on all counts.

Those who think the confederate flag is an appropriate symbol of positive, non-offensive-to-the-average-person values are more than welcome to try to make their case. And maybe sometime in the future they'll succeed. But until then, pretending that the symbol is not offensive to many people, perhaps even a majority in this country, or insisting that it shouldn't be offensive merely because you say so and you're a good guy is disingenuous at best, contradicted by reality and experience, reverse political correctness and an insult to my (and a whole lot of other people's) intelligence.

Oh my. Lots of assumptions about me there but Southerners are used to that.

All I'm saying is, to me it doesn't only mean the things that it clearly means to you. People offended by it have every right to be offended by it. We have the idiots of the Klan to thank for it. At least in part.

I am not going to argue the right or wrong of 19th century Southern secession with you. At least not here.

I am well aware of why some people view it as they do. And I think it is fitting that it is being discussed here on a board dedicated to a band who has spoken at length to the duality of the Southern thing.

I'm actually kind of surprised that you reacted the way you did all things considered. But that's alright. As wrong as I may think you are, I respect your right to that opinion.

One thing I am not is diengenuous. And I will not show you the same piousess that you expressed in your post to me.

All I'm saying is, I think it's unfortunate that people lump everyone who might have that flag displayed as some sort of mean, angry, backward, racist, moron. But the people always talking about how open minded and non judgemental they are, usually react that way.

Not all of us are racists. Not even the majority. But because of people like George Wallace and the Klan it is a little more convenient to put a Southern accent on such things. Or at least that's what a wise man once said.

I know very well what that symbol means to some and I know what it means to me. So throw all the shrill judgements you like. I don't care.

To me, it was a shame a good fellow Southerner didn't take a chance to defuse some of the stigma associated with that symbol but he feels how he feels and I still love the band and their music. And I won't make judgements about you just because you don't agree.

As for my ancestors, "Aint no plantations in my family tree. Did not believe in slavery, they thought all men should be free. BUT WHO ARE ALL THESE SOLDIERS, MARCHING THROUGH MY LAND..."

Fire away yall. If it gets me excommunicated from your club, I can live with it.
Last edited by Cole Younger on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Kudzu Guillotine wrote:
Cole Younger wrote:

Not sure where I read it now but there was an interview several years ago (probably as far back as when Southern Rock Opera was new) about how Patterson and some of the other Truckers felt about the Confederate flag. I think it stemmed from a conversation about Dick Cooper (who worked with them pretty extensively on Southern Rock Opera) having one on display in either his home or office. I agree, one can own and display a Confederate flag and still not be a racist but in some of the conversations I've had with people about it there is very much a "our way or the highway" attitude about it with absolutely no middle ground.

Excellent post.

It's that way on both sides of the issue. Too much emotion, too little understanding.

Cole Younger

Post by Cole Younger »

Lefty wrote:Understanding that symbols may be taken in a number of different ways, I believe the hurt associated with such a symbol is worth avoiding. Otherwise, the pride of those who choose to display such a symbol is put in front of the conventional wisdom of what said symbol represents to the masses. Hang it in your garage or fly it from your own flagpole and I will avoid your home regardless of what your beliefs are(and you will enjoy the freedom to do so). Pull it out at a rock show, and those who put on said show have the right to be put off by your display and what it might mean to those en masse or those whose relatives were slaves or Union casualties, etc.

As a matter of freedom of expression, it could be argued that this symbol in a crowd could be likened to shouting "fire" in a crowded theater, which the supreme court has ruled is where your freedom to express yourself is curtailed in order to preserve the safety or well-being of those in the crowd. Or in this case, the general right of people in attendance not to have their spirits dampened by such a divisive symbol. Despite your best intentions, you cannot control the vibe it gives.

I used to ascribe, in a personal way, to the premise of the "Don't Tread on Me" flag, but have gladly given up my "right" to fly it rather than being associated with how some might choose to take it as an affiliation with the Tea Party or whatever else it might be otherwise associated with.

I stand in solidarity with Cooley on this one. :)

i don't necessarily agree with everyhting you said there and thought they "I'll avoid your house..." thing was a bit of a cheap shot. But I do respect your opinion and your ability to express it in a mostly respectful manner.

GuitarManUpstairs

Post by GuitarManUpstairs »

I suppose I'll weigh in on the Confederate Flag issue....the bottom line is it means a lot of things to a lot of different people. For a large segment of American society, perhaps a majority, it singularly represents oppression, discrimination, ignorance, etc... For another segment it is proudly waved in representation of those "values". Another set of folks regard it as representing the pride they have in their homeland and heritage and/or a go your own way, rebellious mind set.

For me personally, i see it as all of the above, the good and the bad. Sort of a manifest symbol of that whole duality thing we talk about on here periodically. For me it can be offensive, but it really depends on how and who is wielding it....kind of like the Bible I guess.

In terms of Cooley, well....I'm not going to speculate on his rationale for reacting the way he did/does to it at the shows. But just in terms of the atmosphere of the show and what DBT stands for, I think its probably the last thing they want associated with them given they already are fighting the "Southern Rock" stereotype and probably don't want to meet the same fate of Skynyrd. (See Patterson's reference to their critics/detractors, fans/followers in 3GAI)

For me if i want to convey my sense of Southern pride, individuality and general bad-assedness, I'll just wear my DBT t-shirt. It represents all those things and pisses less folks off. 8-)

Edit: Sorry if some of this is redundant to some of teh above posts. It took me a bit to write it up b/c of distractions....
Last edited by GuitarManUpstairs on Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Never going back to Buttholeville. (Good luck with that!)

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

Cole Younger wrote:
beantownbubba wrote:Saying that being offended by the confederate flag is "politically correct" is pretty damned offensive. What you're saying, mr. younger, is that (a) cooley can't make up his own mind about what he thinks, (b) that nobody could possibly think there's anything wrong w/ the Confederate flag unless they're mindless followers of political correctness and (c) calling those who are offended "politically correct" is something other than another version of political correctness. Wrong on all counts.

Oh my. Lots of assumptions about me there but Southerners are used to that.

All I'm saying is, to me it doesn't only mean the things that it clearly means to you. People offended by it have every right to be offended by it. We have the idiots of the Klan to thank for it. At least in part.

I am not going to argue the right or wrong of 19th century Southern secession with you. At least not here.

I am well aware of why some people view it as they do. And I think it is fitting that it is being discussed here on a board dedicated to a band who has spoken at length to the duality of the Southern thing.

I'm actually kind of surprised that you reacted the way you did all things considered. But that's alright. As wrong as I may think you are, I respect your right to that opinion.

One thing I am not is diengenuous. And I will not show you the same piousess that you expressed in your post to me.

All I'm saying is, I think it's unfortunate that people lump everyone who might have that flag displayed as some sort of mean, angry, backward, racist, moron. But the people always talking about how open minded and non judgemental they are, usually react that way.

Not all of us are racists. Not even the majority. But because of people like George Wallace and the Klan it is a little more convenient to put a Southern accent on such things. Or at least that's what a wise man once said.

I know very well what that symbol means to some and I know what it means to me. So throw all the shrill judgements you like. I don't care.

To me, it was a shame a good fellow Southerner didn't take a chance to defuse some of the stigma associated with that symbol but he feels how he feels and I still love the band and their music. And I won't make judgements about you just because you don't agree.

As for my ancestors, "Aint no plantations in my family tree. Did not believe in slavery, they thought all men should be free. BUT WHO ARE ALL THESE SOLDIERS, MARCHING THROUGH MY LAND..."

Fire away yall. If it gets me excommunicated from your club, I can live with it.

Not sure why you're so touchy all the time. Just because someone disagrees with you doesn't mean they're going to ban you from this website. Jesus.

I think we all recognize that to some folks, the Rebel flag isn't about being a racist/secessionist/whatever. It's just a way of saying "I'm from the South, and proud of who I am and where I'm from". There is nothing at all wrong with that sentiment, and it should be encouraged.

However, the particular symbol (Rebel flag) also has some MAJOR negative connotations. Regardless of what all the motives for Southern secession were, there is no denying that one of the biggest motives was creating a nation where slavery was legal and accepted. There is absolutely no rebuttal to that truth. Therefore, the Rebel flag will always be linked to slavery, and thus racism. Not to mention the fact that hate groups have adopted it as their symbol.

When someone displays the symbol, regardless of their personal intent, there are going to be people who see the negative side of that symbol. It shouldn't shock you that Cooley feels, for the reasons I've hashed out, that the Rebel flag is a poor symbol for Southern pride and felt compelled to address it during one of his performances.

At the end of the day, you should be proud of who you are and where you're from, but there are ways to express that pride without the use of a symbol that is wildly offensive to many people for obvious reasons. It's anyone's right to display that Rebel flag, and by the same token, its' anyone's right to be pissed off about it.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

me thinks Cole has a new, shiny CF in his garage :lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley