New Cooley Solo Shows!

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

Smarty Jones

Re: New Cooley Solo Shows!

Post by Smarty Jones »

Tequila Cowboy wrote:
sloansimpson wrote:
Smarty Jones wrote:Somebody better be taping these!!

I'm on that.

Of course you are Sloan. And as always thank you!

X2!!!! :)
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

mark lynn
Site Admin

Post by mark lynn »

Sloan rocks.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Night one was freaking amazing. Cooley's one funny motherfucker. The between song banter was almost as good as the music. My wife and I were totally blown away and can't wait for tonight. I've got a couple videos uploading to youtube now and will post the links a little later. Looking forward to seeing the setlist because there were two songs I couldn't place.

Highlight for me was definitely Cottonseed on the banjo. Patterson was in the house right up front and trying to stay low key. He seemed a little uncomfortable when people would recognize him, understandably so. He definitely wasn't wanting to take the spotlight off Cooley's night.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

jh13 wrote:Night one was freaking amazing. Cooley's one funny motherfucker. The between song banter was almost as good as the music. My wife and I were totally blown away and can't wait for tonight. I've got a couple videos uploading to youtube now and will post the links a little later. Looking forward to seeing the setlist because there were two songs I couldn't place.

Highlight for me was definitely Cottonseed on the banjo. Patterson was in the house right up front and trying to stay low key. He seemed a little uncomfortable when people would recognize him, understandably so. He definitely wasn't wanting to take the spotlight off Cooley's night.

what time did he go on?
In my blood, there's gasoline..

jh13

Post by jh13 »

No opening act. Cooley hit the stage at 9:40, short encore break around 11 then back for three more songs and done at 11:15.

Penny Lane

Post by Penny Lane »

jh13 wrote:No opening act. Cooley hit the stage at 9:40, short encore break around 11 then back for three more songs and done at 11:15.

Thanks for the info and recap!
In my blood, there's gasoline..

The Avon Lady

Post by The Avon Lady »

Saw this set list posted on another site - I assume it's accurate - but I wasnt there (going tonight and tomorrow!!!)

Mike Cooley
The Earl
Atlanta, GA
February 22, 2012

Source: Neumann KM184's > Tascam DR-100 @ 48kz/24bit
Transfer: SD Card > Macbook Pro > Logic 9 < xACT
Recorded by Dillon Fries

Setlist

01. 72 (This Highway's Mean)
02. Women without Whiskey
03. Where the Devil Don't Stay
04. Perfect Timing
05. Eyes Like Glue
06. Three Dimes Down
07. Cottonseed*
08. Space City
09. Self Destructive Zone**
10. Marry Me
11. When the Pin Hits The Shell
12. Gravity's Gone
13. A Ghost to Most
14. Guitar Man Upstairs
15. Carl Perkins' Cadillac
16. Love Like This
17. Get Downtown**
-Encore-
18. Birthday Boy
19. Shut up and Get on the Plane
20. Zip City
21. Unknown Song Title

*Banjo
**Semi-Hollow Telecaster

Mike Cooley plays acoustic guitar on all tracks except those noted.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

The end of Three Dimes Down segued into something cock-rock'ish that got a bit of laugh out of the crowd, but I couldn't place it.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

Space City and Self Destructive Zones are live here on my youtube channel. Carl Perkins Cadillac should be up soon, too.

http://www.youtube.com/user/leatherman1377?feature=mhee

RustyGoKart

Post by RustyGoKart »

jh13 wrote:The end of Three Dimes Down segued into something cock-rock'ish that got a bit of laugh out of the crowd, but I couldn't place it.

He did a verse of Bob Seger's "Rock-n-Roll Never Forgets", which is referenced in 3DD.

jh13

Post by jh13 »

RustyGoKart wrote:
jh13 wrote:The end of Three Dimes Down segued into something cock-rock'ish that got a bit of laugh out of the crowd, but I couldn't place it.

He did a verse of Bob Seger's "Rock-n-Roll Never Forgets", which is referenced in 3DD.

Awesome, thanks for the info.

bravos66

Post by bravos66 »

We have three extra tickets for tonight's (Thursday) show at the Earl if anyone is looking. For those who are covered, see you at the show!

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

That unknown track is amazing.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

John A Arkansawyer

Post by John A Arkansawyer »

This show is so making an otherwise drab workday wonderful. Eyes Like Glue is pretty well killing me just now: "If Daddy's quiet it probably means he's thinking way too much." Oh, yes. Who but Cooley would have written that?

But I do wonder: Do they ever get tired of people singing along to everything, even at a quietish solo show? I first had that thought at my third show as he was playing Zip City and I was somewhat annoyed at not getting a clear listen to the beautiful descending vocal line at the end.

I surely love singing along, but damn! to everything, at every show? Maybe I just shouldn't spend so much time up close if the singing along bothers me too much, but I wonder how they feel about it.
The sooner we put those assholes in the grave&piss on the dirt above it, the better off we'll be

acoxofrd

Post by acoxofrd »

I have a ticket for tonight but am now unable to go. Thankfully I got to go last night. But if someone wants it send me a pm and it's yours. No charge.

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

We will be at the midway tonight before the shows. If you are bored or solo come on down.

Lone Wolf1

Post by Lone Wolf1 »

i'm fixin' to hit the road to athens. i have an extra ticket for tonight. if anyone wants it call me @ 276-525-5572. i'll be in athens around 2pm

ScottyC

Post by ScottyC »

I know some of you are jonesin for some information about last night so I will throw a few highlights out there for ya. I didnt keep a setlistbut highlights (for me at least) were: Panties to open, Cottonseed on banjo, Love Like This, Space City, Loaded Gun, Behind Closed Doors, and the first verse of Bob. Someone kept yelling for Bob and he said he hadnt played it for a while and got thru the first verse and then started to flub the lyrics and said something to the affect of screw it and went into Love Like This. He seemed to be having much more problems with his guitars than night one, and I really like Get Downtown in that format, something about they way he plays it almost sounds like there is a bass player on the stage with him.

Didnt see Patterson, but Barbe was there sitting at a computer next to the stage.

He was more talkative on Thursday night but the crowd was much louder including the one terribly obnoxious guy in the front row who kept screaming at bad times, and then proceeded to throw up on the front of the stage. Really dude?

All in all it was a good night and got to hang with Bill in CT, JoshN and his wife, HowlinWolf and met JoefromAthens.

Yall have fun tonight.

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

ScottyC wrote:I know some of you are jonesin for some information about last night so I will throw a few highlights out there for ya. I didnt keep a setlistbut highlights (for me at least) were: Panties to open, Cottonseed on banjo, Love Like This, Space City, Loaded Gun, Behind Closed Doors, and the first verse of Bob.

Oh, God, he did Behind Closed Doors in Birmingham and it was beautiful. I went out and picked up some Charlie Rich records because of it, and have really been enjoying them. If Cooley's itching to get back into the studio before the year's out, laying down some of these country covers is more than okay by me. Can't wait to hear the recording of this show now!
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

heading out to athens in a little bit....prob be there around 6....question for everyone that's gone to the prev shows, have they been seated affairs? I know the melting point says doors open at 6 & if it's seated, i know i'll need to hustle over there to get a decent spot.
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Clams

Post by Clams »

some cool cooley pics from Paste....

http://www.pastemagazine.com/blogs/1000 ... um=twitter
Everyone needs a friend, everyone needs a fuck

sloansimpson

Post by sloansimpson »

rawkshow wrote:heading out to athens in a little bit....prob be there around 6....question for everyone that's gone to the prev shows, have they been seated affairs? I know the melting point says doors open at 6 & if it's seated, i know i'll need to hustle over there to get a decent spot.

The EARL shows were standing, but The Melting Point does have tables (and some theatre-style seating upstairs). Table service too.

Smitty

Post by Smitty »

Smarty Jones wrote:Oh, God, he did Behind Closed Doors in Birmingham and it was beautiful. I went out and picked up some Charlie Rich records because of it, and have really been enjoying them. !

^^ this makes me happy.
E quindi uscimmo a riveder le stelle.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Sitting @ Mellow Mushroom in Athens, looking forward to tonight our first Cooley solo show!
Turn you demons into walls of goddamned noise and sound.

Cubfan06

Post by Cubfan06 »

brett27295 wrote:Sitting @ Mellow Mushroom in Athens, looking forward to tonight our first Cooley solo show!

Have a great time Brett. It's snowy and colder up North. I'm envious.

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Great show, great setlist, great venue, great town. We love coming to Athens, finished up tonight @ The Grill tonight. Can't wait to the next time we can come back for a DBT or DBT-related show!

brett27295

Post by brett27295 »

Great show, great setlist, great venue, great town. We love coming to Athens, finished up tonight @ The Grill tonight. Can't wait to the next time we can come back for a DBT or DBT-related show!