Your favorite Shonna moments

Talk about the songs, the shows, and anything else DBT related here.

Moderators: Jonicont, mark lynn, Maluca3, Tequila Cowboy, BigTom, CooleyGirl, olwiggum

uncle rickey

Your favorite Shonna moments

Post by uncle rickey »

I mentioned in the thread about Shonna's departure how much I loved her harmonizing, particularly in Monument Valley...
Turn your back on the comforts of home

I loved her on the cover of "Respect Yourself" that they'd occasionally break out last year. She seemed to enjoy herself so much on it:

(I'm sure there's a better quality video out there somewhere.)

I loved the show in DC a few years back when Patterson was sick and couldn't perform and she sang "Lonely Women Make Good Lovers" and knocked it out of the park. Jonicont, didn't you video this? I can't find it online anywhere.

I loved the Rock N' Roll Means Well Tour show we saw in Boston where she and Patterson joined The Hold Steady on stage to sing one of my favorite THS songs, "Chillout Tent," which was just crazy, sloppy fun.

I love every second of this:

I'm sure I'll think of more things which I'll add to this thread. What about you?

Jonicont
Site Admin

Re: Your favorite Shonna moments

Post by Jonicont »

Always go to the show

sactochris

Post by sactochris »

My favorite Shonna moment was getting a chance to talk to her briefly at the Amoeba in store in San Francisco last March.
Last edited by sactochris on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Keep calm and have a cigar

Tyler
Site Admin

Post by Tyler »

http://www.archive.org/download/dbt2010 ... 01_vbr.mp3

My very first DBT show. Opened the oncore with Shonna playing You Got Another on piano all by herself.

rawkshow

Post by rawkshow »

my favorite moment was when my buddy yelled out his usual "i love you shonna" during a quick quiet moment at a show & seeing shonna's reaction....just a sweet, kinda embarrassed grin....you could just tell that she was a genuine person. talked to her once or twice & she was always so nice but i always just laugh at that one moment
Just cause I don't run my mouth don't mean I got nothing to say...

Smarty Jones

Post by Smarty Jones »

I'm super glad now that I hopped that Greyhound bus to catch DBT in Cincinnati....Getting to talk to Shonna immediately after the show ranks in the top spot of my most spellbinding DBT experiences. She was so nice, warm-hearted and accomodating, even after she'd just played what must have been a grueling set. We shared a laugh about how gross and sweaty we both were, and getting to shake the hand of such a wonderful, talented lady was such a privilege.

I couldn't have imagined then that was the last time I'd see her play with DBT. In retrospect, it makes getting to meet her after the show all the more special.
Thank you for the wonderful memories, Shonna!!
SMITH: Either I'm dead right or I'm crazy!
SEN: You wouldn't care to put that to a vote, Senator?

Flying Rabbit

Post by Flying Rabbit »

uncle rickey wrote:I loved the show in DC a few years back when Patterson was sick and couldn't perform and she sang "Lonely Women Make Good Lovers" and knocked it out of the park.

YES!

Iowan

Post by Iowan »

I'll miss her vocals, both and harmony and lead.

She has a a great voice, and it's added a whole new layer to DBT's sound since she started asserting it.

BostonREB

Post by BostonREB »

Flying Rabbit wrote:
uncle rickey wrote:I loved the show in DC a few years back when Patterson was sick and couldn't perform and she sang "Lonely Women Make Good Lovers" and knocked it out of the park.

YES!

Yep. Definitely my fav Shonna moment live. In the studio nothing will top her harmonies on Monument Valley and Two Daughters...

Gonna miss that fully kick-ass Rock Chick.
Send lawyers, guns and money....

sg207

Post by sg207 »

5/7/2008 in Columbus, Ohio. She had the mic turned back on right at the end of the show and wished me happy birthday. Probably the biggest smile I've ever had (Shhh, don't tell my wife).
Just put the goddamn record on and enjoy it

Clams

Post by Clams »

I'm still shocked by this news!

I think her best vocal performance (by a mile) is Where's Eddie. I put on a playlist of her songs this morning, and what struck me is how I know almost every detail of every one of those songs. They've become as familiar to me as any DBT song. I also think that, apart from Eddie, her best vocal performances are as a harmony singer. Uncle Ricky already mentioned Monument Valley, but also The Opening Act (love that last verse). She goes a long way toward making those songs as good as they are. And who doesn't love the giggle in Like a Rolling Stone?
If you don't run you rust

Rocky

Post by Rocky »

uncle rickey wrote:I love every second of this:

I don't mean to be overly dramatic but Shonna leaving sucks big time.
By the time you drop them I'll be gone
And you'll be right where they fall the rest of your life

Jack Flash

Post by Jack Flash »

Her harmonies on all of Brighter Than Creation's Dark really blew me away when that record came out - and still do. They're a huge part of the album's distinct and special flavor and make me wonder why she hadn't been to go-to backup singer before or since.

roland

Post by roland »

My second DBT show, hung around up front after the show and asked Shonna from across the stage if I could get a picture. She slid across the front of the stage on her side and posed up for me. I was hooked from there.

bovine knievel

Post by bovine knievel »

Night 1 of their 2 night run in San Francisco for The Dirt Underneath tour. She walked out on stage at the Great American Music Hall and said "It smells like taters and steak in here". :lol:
“Excited people get on daddy’s nerves.” - M. Cooley

bogart

Post by bogart »

Besides watching and listening to her at shows. Our last DBT show was in Savannah. Coach and I were walking to our car, which was just across the street from the bus. Shonna was messing around in the storage thing outside the bus. We walked over and said hi. Shonna turned around and gave me a big ol' hug.
I had my new (used) "Shonna boots" on. I bought them at one of the used clothing stores in Athens in September when we were there for the GA Theatre shows. I was so excited to show her my "Shonna boots!" She told us about her shoe/feet superstition. Then Neff came out and he gave me a big ol' hug! What a great start to an awesome night!

juanfishmanos11

Post by juanfishmanos11 »

I've never seen her in a bad mood... and that was over 25 shows. I cannot wait for whatever she does next! It still sucks, though.

Slipkid42

Post by Slipkid42 »

My favorite Shonna moment was the Halloween show in Richmond last year. The band was dressed up like cops & Shonna reminded me how much I like women in uniforms. I was right up front in Cooley, er, I mean Shonnaville. They opened w/UTBAC (naturally). I made eye contact w/her & she smiled @ me. My imagination then ran wild (naturally).

I've been chasin' You Got Another since TBTD came out. Guess it wasn't meant to be.
A thousand clusterfucks will not kill my tiny light

Jeremy

Post by Jeremy »

Sorry to see her go. Everytime I met her she was great, always seemed more thrilled to have fans that recognized her than the fans were thrilled to meet her.

Remember at the second night of the TDU shows in Athens Patterson and Cooley kept telling people to "Shut the Fuck Up" in so many polite words, didnt work though. She laughed and said at the end of the show, "Thanks for being a quiet bunch of drunk fuckers" or something along those lines, cracked me up since I was one of those drunk fuckers.

sg207 wrote:She had the mic turned back on right at the end of the show and wished me happy birthday.

My birthday is 5/15 and that year in Charleston she tried to get them to turn on the mics to wish me happy birthday, they didnt do it, but I could care less just because she took the effort. Also saw her and Neff walking around Dublin in May and spoke to them and both times I passed them on the streets afterwards she made a point to wave at me.

Seen them over 50 times, and she never looked sick, worn out, hung over, drunk, dirty, sweaty or anything like that. Always happy and always professional and always looked good for traveling on a bus with a bunch of rock n roll dudes, not usually the cleanest or freshest smelling bunch.

Sucks...

RevMatt

Post by RevMatt »

My fave Shonna moment happened last spring in Montclair. After the show the 3DD crew was standing in the street next to the bus. Shonna, Neff and Jay were holding court with the fans. A bunch of people were having their pictures taken with Shonna. Both of my boys were with me. Now, Shonna has been my 14 year old son's celebrity crush ever since the first time he watched the Austin City Limits dvd. I said to him, "Now is your chance to meet Shonna." Ian totally froze. He wouldn't move past the sidewalk. I kept waving him over but he was like a deer caught in the headlights. I was about to have my picture taken with Shonna when the Montclair PD made everyone clear the street. At that point Uncle Rickey called me over to the sidewalk where Jay was hanging out with the rest of the 3DD crew. At that point my son lost all his shyness and was telling Jay how my earlier gig went, that I was a good keyboard player but WAY too old to dance onstage.
I have nowhere else to go. There is no demand in the priesthood for elderly drug addicts

HoldSteady87

Post by HoldSteady87 »

This sucks I won't be able to see Shonna with the DBT's now. But yeah other than her wondeful contributions over the past 3 albums this is my favorite Shonna moment...

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

suntzu wrote:The night my phone rang and it was Shonna calling just to say............

she was partying with the swamps

Your welcome ;)
from that night

SWEET SHONNA SUGAR SHAKER
We have quite a few moments that I just haven't had the time to
write yet...... but they're coming.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

CooleyGirl

Post by CooleyGirl »

I've been thinking about this for the past few days. There are lots of moments I love that involve Shonna, it is hard to choose.

I always loved the 1-2 punch of Get Downtown into (It's Gonna Be) I Told You So. She seemed to stop doing that around April this year, and I've really been missing that, and will continue to.

We were at the Plan 9 in store on Record Store Day in Charlottesville, VA this year. It was a crappy day, raining, cold, stormy, and a possible tornado if I remember correctly. A bunch of people missed the in store due to bad traffic, so Ramonz and Uncle Rickey were got the call from the bullpen from Jonicont and made their film debut that day. I also helped out, with a few others, and we got some footage of the acoustic set. It was fun.

Anyway, Shonna sang that day, here is the video. Afterwards, the band did a meet and greet and signed autographs for people. There were tons of kids there, and before Shonna could get to the table to join the band, a group of kids stopped her to get their stuff signed and get a picture with her. Even though she was about to that anyway, she of course stopped, they were kids after all. But that is Shonna, she is always so kind! I saw the whole thing happen, and we made eye contact, and she kind of looked at me like, what am I going to do? I told her to go around the other way, she laughed, and said I know, I'm going to be late, but they're kids! So sweet. And this was the day where it was the end of the tour, and that night they had to play outdoors in what was sure to be a rainy, cold night, so probably the last thing everyone wanted to do was an instore and a meet and greet early in the day. It was an early meet and greet too, if I remember correctly, like noon or something.

Jay Gonzalez - the Swiss Army Knife of Musicians - Patterson Hood

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

The first time I took Neff and Shonna up in my rocket ship.
As usual Lois Griffen was my co-pilot and as usual, Lois was
naked. Johns chuckle every time we met a new space creature
and Shonna's giggle every time Lois said something are so vivid
in my memory.
Last edited by Swamp on Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
and that pussy Alec Baldwin blew that girl away, and speaking of pussy Steve got it all!

Zip City

Post by Zip City »

And I knew when I woke up Rock N Roll would be here forever

Swamp

Post by Swamp »

The only reason Neff got to go was cause he knew the "secret handshake" ;)

Swamp

^^wouldn't touch it with a 10 ft. pole^^

Post by Swamp »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Dreams are memories too yall.
and nobody even wanted to know where Marina was.
My favorite on stage memory though is at the 1:02 or :03 mark.
Cooley f'n with Shonna :lol:

joshN

Post by joshN »

Slipkid42 wrote:
I've been chasin' You Got Another since TBTD came out. Guess it wasn't meant to be.

amen to that....